FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DU-fan

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by DU-fan »

molo wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:58 am For a while last night I was beginning to regret having sent in my poll Monday instead of waiting until Wednesday, but Cornell managed to solidify their high rank. Cuse almost crept back into the top 20.
+1
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

molo wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:58 am For a while last night I was beginning to regret having sent in my poll Monday instead of waiting until Wednesday, but Cornell managed to solidify their high rank. Cuse almost crept back into the top 20.
I did regret sending mine in before the CU-SU game.
calourie

Post by calourie »

I've waited this long so I might just as well wait for the unexpected Marquette upset of Notre Dame :roll:
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

A few weeks ago I left a spot blank and was called out (it was a mistake) this week I was going to intentionally leave #2 blank because after Maryland their is no #2 - but it doesn't let you leave blanks anymore. I believe that GTown is the only team that can give Maryland a game right now and would still lose by a few.
molo

Post by molo »

12-5 ND over Marquette at halftime. Why are they playing in a bubble? My phone says it’s 57 and cloudy Milwaukee.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Good job Pollsters,

including St. Joe’s in your polls
they are very good,

to cite just one team.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:29 am The Forum Polls are usually due on Monday at noon. This week, the polls are due on Wednesday at noon and will be posted on Wednesday afternoon. You can post your poll on Monday, per usual, but just know that the poll isn't due and won't be posted until Wednesday. Enjoy this weekend's games.
What happened to this timeline??
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

rolldodge wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:50 am
Matnum PI wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:29 am The Forum Polls are usually due on Monday at noon. This week, the polls are due on Wednesday at noon and will be posted on Wednesday afternoon. You can post your poll on Monday, per usual, but just know that the poll isn't due and won't be posted until Wednesday. Enjoy this weekend's games.
What happened to this timeline??
I messed up. Posted it last night. I apologize.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hey Ref, you need better glasses!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:25 pm Good job Pollsters,

they are very good,

to cite just one team.
If you look at my poll , I have them #13, and have pretty much listed them in my poll everyweek, and have been questioned on that a few times.

We will find out really how good they are when they face PENN later this month.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:17 am

they are very good,

to cite just one team.
If you look at my poll , I have them #13, and have pretty much listed them in my poll everyweek, and have been questioned on that a few times.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
St. Joe's is definitely a really good team. But, who is their biggest win? Hobart, Towson, Penn State? With losses to Drexel and Delaware, I think they are realistically in the 23-30 range, which is still very good in my opinion.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

DU-fan wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:37 am
joewillie78 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:17 am

they are very good,

to cite just one team.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
St. Joe's is definitely a really good team. But, who is their biggest win? Hobart, Towson, Penn State? With losses to Drexel and Delaware, I think they are realistically in the 23-30 range, which is still very good in my opinion.
+1
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

They deserve to be in the top 20 at this stage. PSU doesn’t have a terrible RPI if you look at the data. Not far off Hop pretty much an equivalent win.

13 is probably high but there isn’t much better. What’s Army’s profile? Boston U? After like 9 or so it’s 20 schools that are all easily replaceable this year. (Final year of really seeing impact of fifth years and transfer portal activity?$
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:13 am They deserve to be in the top 20 at this stage. PSU doesn’t have a terrible RPI if you look at the data. Not far off Hop pretty much an equivalent win.

13 is probably high but there isn’t much better. What’s Army’s profile? Boston U? After like 9 or so it’s 20 schools that are all easily replaceable this year. (Final year of really seeing impact of fifth years and transfer portal activity?$
We still have 2 more years of seeing the impact of fifth years and transfer portal activity.
HGK

Post by HGK »

I find it very ironic that early in the season I caught a ton of flack on this thread for ranking ND fairly high despite a poor record and only a Detroit Mercy win. My argument was that they lost to Maryland, Georgetown, UVA and OSU. Many on here said losing close doesn’t get you ranked and ridiculous they are in top 15 let alone top 20. Now, this same group of pollsters has them at #12 yet their wins are vs lower ranked Duke and no other ranked team. So my question is - do you now value the “good” losses more because they beat lower or non ranked teams or is it simply a better record gets a name program a better ranking? And as i have said , I am not an ND fan. I simply said good losses matter but this poll clearly shows weaker wins matter more than good losses. Just curious others thoughts.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DU-fan wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:38 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:13 am They deserve to be in the top 20 at this stage. PSU doesn’t have a terrible RPI if you look at the data. Not far off Hop pretty much an equivalent win.

We still have 2 more years of seeing the impact of fifth years and transfer portal activity.
Technically yes but the full impact may have (I expect will) wane. More kids now who lost parts of 20-21 would’ve been underclassmen then and “lost less” in aggregate. Less incentive to use that fifth year. I’ve got an MBA so aware of the value of a masters but a one year masters w no work experience is just ringing the accreditation register without the complimentary experiential value and every half decent LOB manager responsible for hiring and promoting knows that. Look at Dobson.

Also had a shakier employment outlook in May 20-21. This year it’s white hot it would be stupid for a lot of kids to forgo a year of income and experience in this environment compared with prior two. Especially when corporate recruiting cycles are Q4/Q1 (meaning may 21 new employment class was being considered in the Oct 20-Mar 21 period-still not great).

We will see it’s a question but just because there’s some continued opportunity/access for an extra year doesn’t mean it’s impact will remain the same. I think wht we’ve seen last season as this may be the peak of the impact and you’ll see more piety amongst the top 10-20 then you have this year and less of a go between 1…2/3….everyone else
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HGK wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:42 am I find it very ironic that early in the season I caught a ton of flack on this thread for ranking ND fairly high despite a poor record and only a Detroit Mercy win. My argument was that they lost to Maryland, Georgetown, UVA and OSU. Many on here said losing close doesn’t get you ranked and ridiculous they are in top 15 let alone top 20. Now, this same group of pollsters has them at #12 yet their wins are vs lower ranked Duke and no other ranked team. So my question is - do you now value the “good” losses more because they beat lower or non ranked teams or is it simply a better record gets a name program a better ranking? And as i have said , I am not an ND fan. I simply said good losses matter but this poll clearly shows weaker wins matter more than good losses. Just curious others thoughts.
It’s always been a combination of multiple factors including wins and losses. Their weighting is different to everyone which is why you get a marketplace and cumulative impact. Our poll indicates weak wins combined with tough losses goes a long way. Not that far off what an RPI would indicate. “We” here just use it more informally than the RPI does but behave collectively in a similar fashion.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:42 am I find it very ironic that early in the season I caught a ton of flack on this thread for ranking ND fairly high despite a poor record and only a Detroit Mercy win. My argument was that they lost to Maryland, Georgetown, UVA and OSU. Many on here said losing close doesn’t get you ranked and ridiculous they are in top 15 let alone top 20. Now, this same group of pollsters has them at #12 yet their wins are vs lower ranked Duke and no other ranked team. So my question is - do you now value the “good” losses more because they beat lower or non ranked teams or is it simply a better record gets a name program a better ranking? And as i have said , I am not an ND fan. I simply said good losses matter but this poll clearly shows weaker wins matter more than good losses. Just curious others thoughts.
Not me! I still have them at 19.

It's the Syracuse and Duke wins, and the "establishment program" halo effect that has them so high in the rankings.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

If I had to guess as well, there kinda needed to be some time to play out to see if they were truly good losses. Those losses were so early in the season and it definitely wasn’t set in stone at the time that all 4 of the teams they lost to were going to turn out being this strong.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”