Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
a fan

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by a fan »

molo wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:32 am I wonder how much better the two Hopkins teams would have been had Quinn started as a freshman and sophomore instead of sitting behind someone who was not as good but who had more seniority? I believe the “relief pitcher” game
was his sophomore year.
IMHO, I just can't see Quinn giving up 17 goals in 1983, or any other year. And I say this as a kid that was a Syracuse fan in those days, and hated the brilliance of Quinn....and those stone cold outlet passes with that shallow pocket he used.

But yes, hindsight, and all that.....
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

a fan wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:40 pm
molo wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:32 am I wonder how much better the two Hopkins teams would have been had Quinn started as a freshman and sophomore instead of sitting behind someone who was not as good but who had more seniority? I believe the “relief pitcher” game
was his sophomore year.
IMHO, I just can't see Quinn giving up 17 goals in 1983, or any other year. And I say this as a kid that was a Syracuse fan in those days, and hated the brilliance of Quinn....and those stone cold outlet passes with that shallow pocket he used.

Poor Brian Holman,

the misfortune of getting stuck between
Mike Federico and Larry Quinn.
a fan

Post by a fan »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:50 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:40 pm
was his sophomore year.

Poor Brian Holman,

the misfortune of getting stuck between
Mike Federico and Larry Quinn.
Right? And it's not like he wasn't a fantastic goalie.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

+1. Not given enough credit.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:48 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:14 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:35 am
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:08 pm Quinn was the best ever goalie for the Jays...twice POY !
Some might argue that, but that's only because there were so many terrific tenders in a long stretch of such. The POY is definitely a differentiator, but there are multiple first team AA tenders over those years, multiple 2X, one 3X. Some won NC's, some didn't. Some won multiple.

First world problem!
I thought Piggy and Greenberg were the best Hopkins' Goalie/Defenseman combo ever.
3 NC's are hard to argue with, especially the last one when Hop couldn't buy a FO or groundball but still won anyway.
UVA took 35 shots to Hop's 25.
I can't find the saves from that day, but I recall it was a significant spread.

The advantage in the net that day was indeed likely the difference.
Michael and I were HS tender rivals, along with Bobby Clements...My dad always gave me a hard time for not going to UVA at the last moment...thought I would have made at least one more save in regulation... ;) Michael was first rate in every respect and a great guy too. Clem's season that year was so strong he and Michael split 1st team AA and they gave the goalie of the year award to him, which Michael had won the prior two years.

Greenberg was indeed terrific!
After the 1980 title game,
Mike Federico Jim Bidne Henry Ciccarone 1980 lacrosse finals.jpg
Mike Federico Jim Bidne Henry Ciccarone 1980 lacrosse finals.jpg (142.65 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Thx for the photo
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:08 pm Quinn was the best ever goalie for the Jays...twice POY !
Some might argue that, but that's only because there were so many terrific tenders in a long stretch of such. The POY is definitely a differentiator, but there are multiple first team AA tenders over those years, multiple 2X, one 3X. Some won NC's, some didn't. Some won multiple.

First world problem!
I thought Piggy and Greenberg were the best Hopkins' Goalie/Defenseman combo ever.
3 NC's are hard to argue with, especially the last one when Hop couldn't buy a FO or groundball but still won anyway.

Michael and I were HS tender rivals, along with Bobby Clements...My dad always gave me a hard time for not going to UVA at the last moment...thought I would have made at least one more save in regulation... ;) Michael was first rate in every respect and a great guy too. Clem's season that year was so strong he and Michael split 1st team AA and they gave the goalie of the year award to him, which Michael had won the prior two years.

Hopkins 1980 Title 1.jpg
Hopkins 1980 Title 1.jpg (132.11 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Hopkins 1980 Title 2.jpg
Hopkins 1980 Title 2.jpg (149.61 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:50 pm

First world problem!

Hopkins 1980 Title 1.jpg
Hopkins 1980 Title 2.jpg
Wow. Virginia won 19 of 20 faceoffs and the Blue Jays still won the game.

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

First world problem!

Hopkins 1980 Title 1.jpg
Hopkins 1980 Title 2.jpg
Thanks!
So, 60% on the day...but most of that occurred in the final quarter and OT's.

Does the article provide the opposing tender's stats?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:57 am

First world problem!

Hopkins 1980 Title 1.jpg
Hopkins 1980 Title 2.jpg
Thanks!

Boxscore,
1980 title box score.jpg
1980 title box score.jpg (62.84 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:15 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:57 am

First world problem!

Hopkins 1980 Title 1.jpg
Hopkins 1980 Title 2.jpg
Thanks!

Boxscore,
1980 title box score.jpg
Ahhh yes, tough day; that's similar to my recollection, thus my dad's chiding me...he'd won a NC as UVA's tender back in '52.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Do you remember the name of the VA attackman Greenie shut down for four? years first team AA. He didn’t score a goal in one on one situations

In the first 1987 UVA title game at VA Hopkins lost 16-8? I think. Down 8-0 to start the game. Greenie had Eamon McEneany. Hopkins takes a TO in the first part of the game and Eamon went out of his way to run by our bench and shout “you guys suck.” He had a great game.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

was his sophomore year.
On a related note, someone mentioned Les Matthews. When he was a sophomore in high school, our starting goalie—a friend of mine—was senior who had started since his sophomore year. We were doing well, having lost only to Huntington and Hopkins frosh, but Mike Rentko boldly replaced our starting goalie with the tenth grader. The former starter spent the rest of the season on my end of the bench as we went on to win the MSA championship.
I remembered that lesson as a coach: play your best players regardless of grade. Naturally, most of your key players will end up being seniors and juniors, but don’t let tradition allow you to screw underclassmen and, ultimately, the team.
Your point is well-taken.
The "relief pitcher" game was actually in Quinn's freshman year. He came off the bench in a driving rain storm, Hop was down like 6-0 to UMD, and the Jays ended up winning the game and advancing in the playoffs.
Fans screamed for Quinn to play after that, like every game there were chants for Quinn to start. So this wasn't a hindsight 20-20 thing. Everyone knew at the time that Quinn was better. Holman was a very good goalie, he just wasn't in LQ's class. Few are. Anyway, in 1983, Quinn did start a number of games because Holman was injured, but Chic gave him his job back later in the season when he recovered. This is probably the only knock I ever had against Chic who I think was the gold standard of coaches. Anyway, I still believe to this day that LQ would not have given up 17 goals in the 1983 NC game because I don't think he ever gave up more than 10 goals to anyone in regulation. He only had one loss as a starter, to North Carolina down at their place in overtime (11-10, I think?). It was always hard to win down there.
I would list DeTo third behind Greens and Petro, all-time.
molo

Post by molo »

Thanks. I couldn’t remember whether the relief pitcher game—reference to a Bill Tanton piece—was during Quinn’s freshman or sophomore year.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:30 am Do you remember the name of the VA attackman Greenie shut down for four? years first team AA. He didn’t score a goal in one on one situations

In the first 1987 UVA title game at VA Hopkins lost 16-8? I think. Down 8-0 to start the game. Greenie had Eamon McEneany. Hopkins takes a TO in the first part of the game and Eamon went out of his way to run by our bench and shout “you guys suck.” He had a great game.
You meant '77, of course. Eamon was extraordinarily difficult to stop. And an extremely intense competitor...not always the best sportsmanship, that being just one example. RIP.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Yes. Thx for the correction. Really intense as you noted. After college i got to know him a bit bcs companies did business with each other. Creative, poet, caring, and iconic on 9/11. RIP
molo

Post by molo »

Wes Moore Is about to clinch the Democratic nomination for governor of Maryland. Is he going to be the first Hopkins grad to be governor of the state? Certainly the first I can remember.
molo

Post by molo »

Answered my own question. Ritchie had a BA from JHU. Some others attended but didn’t graduate from Hopkins.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

molo wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:51 pm Wes Moore Is about to clinch the Democratic nomination for governor of Maryland. Is he going to be the first Hopkins grad to be governor of the state? Certainly the first I can remember.
If he can stay away from controversies, Moore could be the first Hopkins undergrad to be elected president (I’m thinking 2028). Second Hopkins grad overall. Last guy who received a high profile and active endorsement from Oprah (Obama) won the big prize.

Anyway, posts on this thread must be about lacrosse, so …

… lacrosse is good. It is.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:46 pm
molo wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:51 pm Wes Moore Is about to clinch the Democratic nomination for governor of Maryland. Is he going to be the first Hopkins grad to be governor of the state? Certainly the first I can remember.
If he can stay away from controversies, Moore could be the first Hopkins undergrad to be elected president (I’m thinking 2028). Second Hopkins grad overall. Last guy who received a high profile and active endorsement from Oprah (Obama) won the big prize.

Anyway, posts on this thread must be about lacrosse, so …

… lacrosse is good. It is.

DocBarrister 8-)
Well, one thing he could do is help change the state sport from Jousting and Lacrosse to just Lacrosse.
We also need to get the Final Four back to Maryland, instead of everywhere else on the planet.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”