All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

a fan

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by a fan »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:51 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:48 pm The 1%ers in DC are going to get it, too. So for once, they'll have to deal with the same problems the 99% does. And no----I''d prefer that no one get it at all if I had a choice.

As I pointed out earlier....what happens when Congress and the Exec Branch gets it? Buncha old white men.

Still no economic stimulus. These people are idiots.
When Trump and republicans push economic stimulus you and the media will accuse them of not caring about people just Trumps reelection.
You think that handing out stimulus for no reason whatsoever------massive tax cuts for the rich, massive deficit spending to pump up the economy with no regard for how we're going to pay the loans off......is the same thing as preparing the world's largest economy to completely shut down for months?

You don't understand what's going on, my friend. Have a look at Seattle. Business in restaurants is down to almost zero. NBA brings in $8 Billion a year.....poof, that economic activity is now gone. Same for every sports franchise, Broadway shows....any economic event with over 100 ppl is now DOA. How do you shut down an isolate people without massive economic damage? You can't.

And if Trump doesn't find a way to prop up all these overleveraged businesses? This will be sooooo much worse than the 08 crash. And you and your Republican buddies don't get it, because you're convinced this is a plot to take Trump out.

This is a chance for Trump to shine. He needs to pump TRILLIONS into the economy. TRILLIONS. If he can do that, and calm the markets, and get those tests manufactured and distributed? We're in good shape.

Ask anyone who owns a restaurant-----would they survive two months with zero sales? And if they shut down to preserve capital....which is precisely what's happening....where will their workers get money to eat and pay bills? This is a massive problem.

And if they aren't building ventilators and ER rooms as if it's WWII and the Germans are coming? Oy.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

In Maryland, Baltimore County has cancelled its spring rec sports leagues. No rec lacrosse. I expect other counties around MD like Howard, Harford and Montgomery to follow suit any second now.

How long will the public school systems stay open?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

So much confusion about the tests. A physician in NY just appeared on the afternoon news telling the story of wanting to get a patient tested. She was told no by NY DoH / CDC. She felt strongly the patient needed to be tested. It is almost like the gatekeepers want to hear the doctor KNOWS for sure the patient has COVID-19, before they will allow a test. This should raise every ones antenna. If there are so many test kits available - why are the gatekeepers treating them like GOLD??

Meanwhile in Maryland my son tells me the state approved the test and it has been performed. Just waiting for the result. This for a healthcare worker. Different situation than the NY case.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
a fan

Post by a fan »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:24 pm In Maryland, Baltimore County has cancelled its spring rec sports leagues. No rec lacrosse. I expect other counties around MD like Howard, Harford and Montgomery to follow suit any second now.

Friday will be it for schools.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:24 pm In Maryland, Baltimore County has cancelled its spring rec sports leagues. No rec lacrosse. I expect other counties around MD like Howard, Harford and Montgomery to follow suit any second now.

Just heard Hopkins has suspended all spring sports until mid April.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

a fan wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:21 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:48 pm The 1%ers in DC are going to get it, too. So for once, they'll have to deal with the same problems the 99% does. And no----I''d prefer that no one get it at all if I had a choice.

As I pointed out earlier....what happens when Congress and the Exec Branch gets it? Buncha old white men.

When Trump and republicans push economic stimulus you and the media will accuse them of not caring about people just Trumps reelection.
You think that handing out stimulus for no reason whatsoever------massive tax cuts for the rich, massive deficit spending to pump up the economy with no regard for how we're going to pay the loans off......is the same thing as preparing the world's largest economy to completely shut down for months?

You don't understand what's going on, my friend. Have a look at Seattle. Business in restaurants is down to almost zero. NBA brings in $8 Billion a year.....poof, that economic activity is now gone. Same for every sports franchise, Broadway shows....any economic event with over 100 ppl is now DOA. How do you shut down an isolate people without massive economic damage? You can't.

And if Trump doesn't find a way to prop up all these overleveraged businesses? This will be sooooo much worse than the 08 crash. And you and your Republican buddies don't get it, because you're convinced this is a plot to take Trump out.

This is a chance for Trump to shine. He needs to pump TRILLIONS into the economy. TRILLIONS. If he can do that, and calm the markets, and get those tests manufactured and distributed? We're in good shape.

Ask anyone who owns a restaurant-----would they survive two months with zero sales? And if they shut down to preserve capital....which is precisely what's happening....where will their workers get money to eat and pay bills? This is a massive problem.

And if they aren't building ventilators and ER rooms as if it's WWII and the Germans are coming? Oy.
Please. I know exactly what's going on.

Exactly what you want to happen. Trumps economic successes reversed. Pain for the American people.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:14 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:03 pm
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:54 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:49 pm
6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:24 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:20 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:13 pm
Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:04 pm No tests. You can say anything. Like Ukraine.
:lol: :lol: You believe tests prevent COVID19. :lol: :lol:
Come on, youth, you're usually smarter than this.

Yes, tests enable identification and containment, thus reduced spread, thus fewer deaths.
The HUGE challenge we face is the prospect of an overwhelmed health system in which health workers are sick and quarantined, there aren't beds for strokes, cancer, etc.
All was true when 60 million americans caught H1 N1 and 12,000 people died in 2009. NO media noise. No noise from you.

Obama received purely positive press through it all.
Why keep bringing up the H1 N1 now? Its a complete strawman regarding what is happening right now. Was Obama treated differently than Trump? I don't know and I really don't care. I am not going to put the blame on anyone/person for where we are right now, it is not constructive and does no good But your H1 N1 comparison makes little sense from a non political point. Look at your numbers.

N1 H1 has a mortality rate close to 0.02%. Normal flu 0.1 percent.......COVID19 at best case is 0.5%. The devil is what is the denominator and to get an idea of what that could be lets look at the R0 number. For H1 N1 best I could find was 1.3. Currently the COVID19 is between 2 and 3 so this virus is both more communicable and deadly.

Politicize it all you want, that is your prerogative but this is not the flu. What is it? We do not know yet, and that is the biggest issue. In my opinion, and this is not directed to you per se, the biggest mistake is to continue to compare this thing to something it is not.

You can now flame away....................
Why are you folks so obtuse.

In 2009 H1 N1 was a health problem here.

The point I'm making is It was NEVER hyped like this.

It was more fatal than the flu where 30k people died annually without media noise. It was the most infectious new disease.

NO colleges closed. No sports STOPPED. The world went on
Do you understand that we’re dealing with the possibility of over HALF A MILLION DEATHS with novel coronavirus?

Do you think China isolated entire regions and Italy shut down the entire country (for the first time in that nation’s 3,000 year history) for the fun of it?

This ain’t the flu. It ain’t H1N1. It is much, much, MUCH WORSE.

Seriously, what is the matter with you?

DocBarrister :roll:
A month ago the claimm was the virus was 20 times more lethal.

Look all Im advocating is less hyperbolic panic. Just like 2009
Could be 5X, could be 20X. We don't know, yet, that it's not at the high end of that range.
We're pretty sure it's not below that low range.

And that's a heck of a lot of deaths, here and across the world, if the spread is indeed as indicated so far.

And that's not counting the deaths if the health systems are overwhelmed.
That did not happen H1N1, but it was really, really stressful on the system as it was.

But that's why the scientists are making such a big deal about this bug.
The combination of lethality and spread rate make it truly calamitous unless we can flatten out that curve...but let's not kid ourselves, it will be really bad almost no matter what, absent the bug evolving to be way less lethal.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:28 pm
Trinity wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:04 pm No tests. You can say anything. Like Ukraine.

Yes, tests enable identification and containment, thus reduced spread, thus fewer deaths.
The HUGE challenge we face is the prospect of an overwhelmed health system in which health workers are sick and quarantined, there aren't beds for strokes, cancer, etc.
All was true when 60 million americans caught H1 N1 and 12,000 people died in 2009. NO media noise. No noise from you.

Why keep bringing up the H1 N1 now? Its a complete strawman regarding what is happening right now. Was Obama treated differently than Trump? I don't know and I really don't care. I am not going to put the blame on anyone/person for where we are right now, it is not constructive and does no good But your H1 N1 comparison makes little sense from a non political point. Look at your numbers.

N1 H1 has a mortality rate close to 0.02%. Normal flu 0.1 percent.......COVID19 at best case is 0.5%. The devil is what is the denominator and to get an idea of what that could be lets look at the R0 number. For H1 N1 best I could find was 1.3. Currently the COVID19 is between 2 and 3 so this virus is both more communicable and deadly.

Politicize it all you want, that is your prerogative but this is not the flu. What is it? We do not know yet, and that is the biggest issue. In my opinion, and this is not directed to you per se, the biggest mistake is to continue to compare this thing to something it is not.

It was more fatal than the flu where 30k people died annually without media noise. It was the most infectious new disease.

Do you understand that we’re dealing with the possibility of over HALF A MILLION DEATHS with novel coronavirus?

Do you think China isolated entire regions and Italy shut down the entire country (for the first time in that nation’s 3,000 year history) for the fun of it?

Could be 5X, could be 20X. We don't know, yet, that it's not at the high end of that range.

And that's a heck of a lot of deaths, here and across the world, if the spread is indeed as indicated so far.

That did not happen H1N1, but it was really, really stressful on the system as it was.

The combination of lethality and spread rate make it truly calamitous unless we can flatten out that curve...but let's no kid ourselves, it will be really bad almost no matter what, absent the bug evolving to be way less lethal.
57 American deaths. 60% in one location.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:27 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:21 pm

Please. I know exactly what's going on.

Exactly what you want to happen. Trumps economic successes reversed. Pain for the American people.
🤡
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:30 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:28 pm

The combination of lethality and spread rate make it truly calamitous unless we can flatten out that curve...but let's no kid ourselves, it will be really bad almost no matter what, absent the bug evolving to be way less lethal.
Bookmark this post.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Department of Recreation and Parks

Yup
To assist in keeping staff, volunteers, participants and residents safe and minimize the spread of the COVID-19 Virus, the Department of Recreation and Parks is taking the following steps.

All organized recreational activities are cancelled until further notice.
The Department is advising the County's Recreation and Nature Councils to cancel organized activities. This cancellation also includes all out-of-state travel programs.
At this time, Department facilities will remain open during normal operating hours.
Information is changing on a constant basis. Updates will be provided when available.

After school child care will operate on Thursday, March 12. After today, child care will not operate until further notice.
a fan

Post by a fan »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:27 pm Please. I know exactly what's going on.

:lol: Oh yeah. I'm THRILLED that my business is at risk, and I have friends that are losing everything because people have stopped going out.

You have NO CLUE what's going on. You're talking about the start of the virus spread as if it's the end.

In all sincerity, all the best to you and your family in the coming months.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:57 pm

Why are you so obtuse? Multiple people have explained it to you, that N1H1 did not present the risk that COVID-19 does. NOT EVEN CLOSE!
Nobody knew that at this point in 2009.
jhu72 did
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:36 pm

Why are you so obtuse? Multiple people have explained it to you, that N1H1 did not present the risk that COVID-19 does. NOT EVEN CLOSE!
jhu72 did
Nope, the scientists did. Same point.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“When millions of us were trying to have Trump impeached for crimes he DID commit, there was a chorus of people saying "Just wait till the election, vote him out then." We said we can't afford to wait because of how dangerous Trump is to the world. And now here we are.“

Don Winslow, novelist
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:38 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:36 pm

jhu72 did
Nope, the scientists did. Same point.
Midway through the H1 N1 pandemic

On 24 October 2009, U.S. President Obama declared swine flu a national emergency

U.S. government officials were especially concerned about schools because the H1N1 flu virus appears to disproportionately affect young and school-age people, between six months and 24 years of age.[105] The H1N1 outbreak led to numerous precautionary school closures in some areas. Rather than closing schools, the CDC recommended that students and school workers with flu symptoms should stay home for either seven days total, or until 24 hours after symptoms subsided, whichever was longer.[106] The CDC also recommended that colleges should consider suspending fall 2009 classes if the virus began to cause severe illness in a significantly larger share of students than the previous spring. They also urged schools to suspend rules, such as penalties for late papers or missed classes or requirements for a doctor's note, to enforce "self-isolation" and prevent students from venturing out while ill;[107] schools were advised to set aside a room for people developing flu-like symptoms while they waited to go home and to have ill students or staff and those caring for them use face masks.[108]

In California, school districts and universities were on alert and worked with health officials to launch education campaigns. Many planned to stockpile medical supplies and discuss worst-case scenarios, including plans to provide lessons and meals for low-income children in case elementary and secondary schools closed.[109] University of California campuses stockpiled supplies, from paper masks and hand sanitizer to food and water.[109] To help prepare for contingencies, University of Maryland School of Medicine professor of pediatrics James C. King Jr. suggested that every county should create an "influenza action team" to be run by the local health department, parents and school administrators.[110] By 28 October 2009, about 600 schools in the United States had been temporarily closed, affecting over 126,000 students in 19 states

Fearing a worst-case scenario, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) developed updated guidance[112] and a video for employers to use as they developed plans to respond to the H1N1 outbreak.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Breaking News: The European Union’s governing body condemned President Trump’s Europe travel ban, saying the decision was “taken unilaterally and without consultation”.

This oughta make your head spin...my guess is some of you will agree with the EU.

#OrangeManBad
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

6ftstick wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:30 pm
No....38 have died. 30 of them in one state.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:51 pm Breaking News: The European Union’s governing body condemned President Trump’s Europe travel ban, saying the decision was “taken unilaterally and without consultation”.

This oughta make your head spin...my guess is some of you will agree with the EU.

#OrangeManBad
Look, it is pretty clear there is no data, other than the outbreak in Italy - this alone - that warrants this action. If you discount Italy, and consider the EU zone, they are as a group doing A LOT better than we are at the time of this decision! Their numbers look a lot more like South Korea than they do the US, or China, or Italy. There is no indication that I have seen that things are spreading from Italy through the rest of the EU. It is unlikely to, given Italy's recent action to lockdown the whole country.

Is this a good idea? As a scientist I am neutral on it. It is not going to make a big difference. It certainly won't hurt, other than economically. They will retaliate and this will cause more economic harm. It is also a clear slap in the face to our one time allies. As someone interested in foreign affairs - THIS IS A TOTAL BONE HEAD MOVE!

To me this looks to be a totally political decision -- something for Trump's base. We all know how effective they think any wall is. If you don't believe me, that this is political, why did Orange Duce refer to coronavirus as "a foreign virus" during the part of his speech announcing this action?
Last edited by jhu72 on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:51 pm Breaking News: The European Union’s governing body condemned President Trump’s Europe travel ban, saying the decision was “taken unilaterally and without consultation”.

#OrangeManBad

“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”