Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:30 pm Now you can clearly argue that Hopkins has 2 5 stars - DeSimone and Zinn - that scored 9 goals combined last year and that is part of the problem.
If they do not dramatically improve that stat - Hopkins has virtually no hope at a successful season -if they do the first midfield could be a handful.

But right now Hopkins has maybe the lowest number of 5 stars that I can recall - Epstein, DeSimone, Zinn and maybe Williams? That's why this 2020 class is so important

At least the 2021 class size is small so far
Williams for sure—he was ranked #6 in that class.

Also Rapine—#3 defenseman (#19 overall).

So it seems like they've averaged roughly 2 per class lately. Obviously this 2019 class was an "off year" in terms of star power (though I think Murphy is seriously under-ranked—not that it actually matters. Maybe it motivates the kid even more). 2020 is looking like at least 3 five-stars with Grimes, McDermott, and Smith.

Of the remaining 2021 five-stars, one is from Culver where Petro has recruited very well, one was Murphy's teammate at AOF, and one goes to Landon. I'd say we have a decent shot to land one of those guys. Don't think we're much in the McAdorey hunt—seems bound for UVA or Duke. We've had our fair share of St. Anthony's guys but Dano is really turning Durham into St. Ant's South lately. For what it's worth, Duke doesn't yet have a single "starred" recruit in the 2021 class. I'm sure they're coming soon, but mildly interesting none have committed already. Uncertainty about how much longer Dano intends to coach? Who knows. Denver and Loyola don't have any either.

Looking way ahead to 2022 but depending on dad's employment status, Young Petro may give the Jays its second #1 recruit in four years. And if this Sunderland kid really loves Hopkins as much as he did when he was a little kid then that's probably another "five star."
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Note:
The correlation between the top 24 rising juniors in 2017 and the 24 five stars in IL this year is not very high.
Shellenberger 1 to 1
Caputo 4 to 7
Bower 6 to 15
Brower 8 to 2
Frisoli 10 to 14
Williams 13 to 3
Mitchell 18 to 12
That is all I see. 7 out of 24.

Schain is close, 27 to 21
Calderone 30 to 16
Live Free or Die!
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-When loyola won a few years ago I did a thing comparing their roster w recruiting rankings, ours and uva and over the last 15-20 years 5 schools uva, unc, hop, duke and maryland have gotten about 50 percent or more of top 20 recruits despite accounting for just 8 percent of d1 programs. Loyola, towson and most schools outside the top 2-3 ivies, 2-3 b1g schools and acc programs usually have just 2-3 top 100 recruits. According to the rankings we've had the horses as we should, and whether they were rated too highly by IL or got hurt or weren't developed and coached well is another debate.

-Sorry to see the blackstone go. University under brody decided that it was tired of kids not applying and kids getting in not coming because the area off campus was viewed as dingy and not hospitable and so the university embarked on a plan to buy up+redo charles/st.paul which it has done in big fashion and in the process pushing a lot of great upper classmen off campus housing like the blackstone+row houses out. Blackstone was key off campus housing particularly for arts and sciences students because it was so close to that quad. The university also just bought the newseum-a $320 million purchase right on pennsylvania avenue halfway between the capitol and the white house which probably gave Georgetown its worst heart attack since Carmelo Anthony cut down the nets one spring monday night 16 years ago.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

With Charles Commons and Nine East 33rd (open primarily but not exclusively to Hopkins students), Johns Hopkins has some of the best student housing anywhere. Still, the Homewood campus could use even more university housing. Would have preferred seeing the Blackstone converted into a new Hopkins dorm, but there is no doubt more hotel rooms are needed.

Back to lacrosse ... I think we could see a freshman take that third attack spot.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:01 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:15 am Teachout has an impressive Sophomore highlight tape. Cannon shot, pinpoint passing on assists, good off the ground, swim moves on clears and can play some defense.

From MaxPreps: https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/sam-te ... videos.htm
HOB you'll be there next weekend with the camera I hope?
Yes.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

My understanding is there will be additions to the forms on campus
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

06. Selection bias. Data set used is insufficient to support the conclusion. Assumptions underlying are flawed at best
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

Hopkins just secured a 2021 four star with five star potential definitely one of the top 3-4 goalies in the class
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

ABClaxfan wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:08 pm Hopkins just secured a 2021 four star with five star potential definitely one of the top 3-4 goalies in the class
We seem to have a plethora of goalies. What can be done to elevate one, or more? Can LQ teach?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Drcthru wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:05 pm
ABClaxfan wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:08 pm Hopkins just secured a 2021 four star with five star potential definitely one of the top 3-4 goalies in the class
We seem to have a plethora of goalies. What can be done to elevate one, or more? Can LQ teach?
Do we? There are four on the roster right now, which is average. Giacalone graduates next year, but we'll bring in DiMarsico. Then Darby graduates the year after that, and then we bring in Demopoulous, who ABClaxfan just mentioned. Barring transfers in or out, it will stay at 4 for the foreseeable future. Most teams have 3-5. Where's the plethora?

Considering recent tournament results and the questions (if you can call them that) surrounding the staff's longterm standing, I'd say the 2021 class is off to a really good start. Four 4-stars puts the Jays in the top 5 overall, according to IL's star rating system.
If Demopoulos isn’t the best 2021 goalie in the country, the list of keepers who are better than him is a very short one. He looks so cool, calm and collected and plays with the poise and maturity of a senior. He does a nice job of commanding his defense, and against St. Anthony’s, he was flat-out brilliant.

On one sequence, he got his stick on what looked like a sure Brennan O’Neill goal and rapidly got back into position to stop a Phil Polo shot with his head. His saves early on gave Darien a chance to win, and the Friars had a lot of trouble beating him high. They had more success going low, but for a bigger goalie, Demopoulos still does a good job of getting down and making stops.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Just asked to turn off my camera five minutes into the scrimmage. Informed it’s a ‘closed scrimmage.’
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

22-7 final. Hop’s goals by Williams (3), Keogh (3), Stagnitta (3), Concannon (2), Handsor (2), Murphy, Prouty, Mabbett, Angelus, Smith, Degnon, Hawley, Shilling and Schreiber.

Alumni goals by Wells Stanwick (3), Tinney, Frasier, Fox and Castronova.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I didn’t bother this year.

Did they switch jersey numbers?
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

No.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Who played in goal? Who were the ssdms? Who started at 3 D?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Who told you to turn it off?

(And did you turn it back on? !!!)
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I’ve got a solution to this.

Get a lot of fans to wear body cameras.

They can’t make you turn those off. They’re for our own safety while in Baltimore.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Not a coach per se, but a member of the staff told me that the ‘fun’ scrimmage against the alumni could be used for ‘scouting’ purposes. That’s just ridiculous and pathetic. I can’t argue with lameness, but as a Hopkins grad I was sorely disappointed how far my university’s lax program has fallen. Can you imagine Scott or Chick making this request?

Not wanting to cause a scene, I did comply, but immediately cancelled my travel plans to Philly next weekend to film the fall ball scrimmages.

It’s Hopkins lax loss. For years, as a diehard fan, I have filmed and edited ‘highlights’—-not full contests—-of select Jays games and scrimmages for my HuntVA YouTube channel that has nearly 9 million views and thousands of subscribers—-many of whom are Hopkins lax fans all around the world. These fans let me know when I don’t post Hop highlights.

The obvious point is that this has been a labor of love—but no more.
Last edited by Hoponboard on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

And no opponent needs to watch film of a perennial 7 or 8 loss team. Go watch Penn State instead. MD, or hell, Towson.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:37 pm Not a coach per se, but a member of the staff told me that the ‘fun’ scrimmage against the alumni could be used for ‘scouting’ purposes. That’s just ridiculous and pathetic. I can’t argue with lameness, but as a Hopkins grad I was sorely disappointed how far my university’s lax program has fallen. Can you imagine Scott or Chick making this request?

Not wanting to cause a scene, I did comply, but immediately cancelled my travel plans to Philly next weekend to film the fall ball scrimmages.

It’s Hopkins lax loss. For years, as a diehard fan, I have filmed and edited ‘highlights’—-not full contests—-of select Jays games and scrimmages for my HuntVA YouTube channel that has nearly 9 million views and thousands of subscribers—-many of whom are Hopkins lax fans all around the world. These fans let me know when I don’t post Hop highlights.

The obvious point is that this has been a labor of love—but no more.
I hate to see you stop, but I understand where you are coming from. As a fan of Hopkins and lacrosse in general I'd like to thank you for your effort and all you've done over the years.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”