Facegram & Instabook

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Facegram & Instabook

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:26 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:55 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:42 pm
a fan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:27 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:01 pm Sometimes I think you just like to challenge yourself to see if you can get others twisted up in solving your mind pretzel presentation; it is fun, sometimes. :lol: ;)
I realized how you and I are different. You come in with your ideas, and share them on things like the Florida K-12 law....with no intention of changing your own ideas. You're already set with what you think.....and you're here to share them, and that's it. Which is cool....you're set in your path, and others won't sway you. And admirable way of living.

I'm here to challenge my own ideas----and when I find better ideas, my mind is changed. So I come in to poke and prod at my ideas, and the ideas are others. So I finally understood what you meant by "you just want to win".......you're almost right. I'm here to find the best idea....and let that idea win. And you and others have shared ideas that are better than my own.....and so I change.

Enjoy your weekend! (and holy cow, this ND v. SU game is tough to watch so far....)
Partially right, in bold. You all have changed my mind more than you may think. I often catch myself taking what I've learned here, challenging the Trump thumpers with posts and intel gathered around here, only to walk away with them believing I am smarter than I actually am. :lol: :P I suppose, in the end, what gravitates me here, sometimes kicking and screaming, IS the collaborative roundtable "think tank' atmosphere.

Watching as well....saw this on twitter. Bet Coach Corrigan and Wellner will have something say about this. :shock:

Probably just updating his portal status.
That's the 3rd String Goalie, he is using Scorebreak app to provide live "film" of the game to the players as they come to the sideline. Looks bad, but it's actually providing the team with a valuable resource to be able to watch game film in real time.

Joe
Yes. My guess was that he wasn’t doing anything that coaches didn’t know about.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:22 pm Twitter is not representative of meaningful opinion or discussion. There are many more people who avoid twitter (just in American) than who participate. It is a loud, obnoxious application that serves no purposes other than to give the lowest common denominator a place to bay at the moon.
:lol: :lol:

Musk is just one more rich con artist that has you by your tw*t KellyAnne, just like Trump did.

Musk’s offer to buy twitter was accepted on a Monday…

By Thursday the government had established a “ministry of truth”

Amazing how fast the government will move to protect their own interest and power…

Imagine if government moved this fast to work for “we the people”…

Carl Higbie
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:32 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:26 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:55 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:42 pm
a fan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:27 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:01 pm Sometimes I think you just like to challenge yourself to see if you can get others twisted up in solving your mind pretzel presentation; it is fun, sometimes. :lol: ;)
I realized how you and I are different. You come in with your ideas, and share them on things like the Florida K-12 law....with no intention of changing your own ideas. You're already set with what you think.....and you're here to share them, and that's it. Which is cool....you're set in your path, and others won't sway you. And admirable way of living.

I'm here to challenge my own ideas----and when I find better ideas, my mind is changed. So I come in to poke and prod at my ideas, and the ideas are others. So I finally understood what you meant by "you just want to win".......you're almost right. I'm here to find the best idea....and let that idea win. And you and others have shared ideas that are better than my own.....and so I change.

Enjoy your weekend! (and holy cow, this ND v. SU game is tough to watch so far....)
Partially right, in bold. You all have changed my mind more than you may think. I often catch myself taking what I've learned here, challenging the Trump thumpers with posts and intel gathered around here, only to walk away with them believing I am smarter than I actually am. :lol: :P I suppose, in the end, what gravitates me here, sometimes kicking and screaming, IS the collaborative roundtable "think tank' atmosphere.

Watching as well....saw this on twitter. Bet Coach Corrigan and Wellner will have something say about this. :shock:

Probably just updating his portal status.
That's the 3rd String Goalie, he is using Scorebreak app to provide live "film" of the game to the players as they come to the sideline. Looks bad, but it's actually providing the team with a valuable resource to be able to watch game film in real time.

Joe
Yes. My guess was that he wasn’t doing anything that coaches didn’t know about.

100%, we all know who the coach of that team is. Goalie in question happens to be from Manhasset.

Joe
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Truth Social is censoring conservative speech. RepubliCONs are so incompetent. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:35 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:22 pm Twitter is not representative of meaningful opinion or discussion. There are many more people who avoid twitter (just in American) than who participate. It is a loud, obnoxious application that serves no purposes other than to give the lowest common denominator a place to bay at the moon.

Musk is just one more rich con artist that has you by your tw*t KellyAnne, just like Trump did.

Musk’s offer to buy twitter was accepted on a Monday…

By Thursday the government had established a “ministry of truth”

Amazing how fast the government will move to protect their own interest and power…

Imagine if government moved this fast to work for “we the people”…

Carl Higbie
... Thurston Howe IV wasn't available ??
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:19 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:24 am Why Twitter 'failed', past tense. What happens when a private company tries to rule and control: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc_jGiLlsoN/
:lol: I find it utterly hilarious that Americans HONESTLY think that twitter (or facebook, snapchat, instagram...for that matter) is supposed to be a benign, happy-rainbows, non-profit company that's there for the good of mankind.

For me? My question is: how did we get so dumb as a country that we'd think that? Twitter isn't a town square, fellas. It's a FOR PROFIT CORPORATION that could give two *hits about anything other than money.

Know how I know this? They sold to the highest bidder without hesitation. Scoreboard. Seems 'sticking it to conservatives" didn't matter to them anymore, and they sold. Immediately.

So Maher and everyone else are holding twitter to an entirely made up, imaginary, mythical standard that has NEVER existed. Fairness? They don't care about fairness, FFS. They care about share price. That's it.

And again---this applies to Facebook and the rest of them. Twitter sells their users to advertisers. That's it. That's the model.

And that won't change with Musk in charge.
Not only did they agree to sell (while fending off a pissed off Jack Dorsey who’s been whispering in Musks ear the whole time about buying Twitter), their bankers told them they’d never see that valuation in its present form as a public company. Now Musk is trying to get PE firms to come in and lessen his financial commitment by claiming he will have the thing back public within 5yrs, which both defies the “public square” comment but also shows his real intention to use less skin in the game even if he’s totally lying to get Apollo or whomever to buy in while he’s in control. Don’t know why they would though given he’s never met a time milestone in his corporate existence dating back to PayPal before he started using the wig or plugs or whatever on his head to pretend he didn’t lose his hair in the early 2000s and run around like a wanna be di caprio in Hollywood.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:30 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:10 pm When did Twitter promote themselves as the "town square"?
Back in 2006: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitter#2 ... l_reaction
16yrs ago? Long long before this entire industry much mattered? I mean that’s not really a useful datapoint. I was balls deep in hot girls in Manhattan 16yrs ago. Now…not so good.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:04 pmNot only did they agree to sell (while fending off a ticked off Jack Dorsey who’s been whispering in Musks ear the whole time about buying Twitter), their bankers told them they’d never see that valuation in its present form as a public company. Now Musk is trying to get PE firms to come in and lessen his financial commitment by claiming he will have the thing back public within 5yrs, which both defies the “public square” comment but also shows his real intention to use less skin in the game even if he’s totally lying to get Apollo or whomever to buy in while he’s in control. Don’t know why they would though given he’s never met a time milestone in his corporate existence dating back to PayPal before he started using the wig or plugs or whatever on his head to pretend he didn’t lose his hair in the early 2000s and run around like a wanna be di caprio in Hollywood.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:04 pm
a fan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:19 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:24 am Why Twitter 'failed', past tense. What happens when a private company tries to rule and control: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc_jGiLlsoN/
:lol: I find it utterly hilarious that Americans HONESTLY think that twitter (or facebook, snapchat, instagram...for that matter) is supposed to be a benign, happy-rainbows, non-profit company that's there for the good of mankind.

For me? My question is: how did we get so dumb as a country that we'd think that? Twitter isn't a town square, fellas. It's a FOR PROFIT CORPORATION that could give two *hits about anything other than money.

Know how I know this? They sold to the highest bidder without hesitation. Scoreboard. Seems 'sticking it to conservatives" didn't matter to them anymore, and they sold. Immediately.

So Maher and everyone else are holding twitter to an entirely made up, imaginary, mythical standard that has NEVER existed. Fairness? They don't care about fairness, FFS. They care about share price. That's it.

And again---this applies to Facebook and the rest of them. Twitter sells their users to advertisers. That's it. That's the model.

And that won't change with Musk in charge.
Not only did they agree to sell (while fending off a ticked off Jack Dorsey who’s been whispering in Musks ear the whole time about buying Twitter), their bankers told them they’d never see that valuation in its present form as a public company. Now Musk is trying to get PE firms to come in and lessen his financial commitment by claiming he will have the thing back public within 5yrs, which both defies the “public square” comment but also shows his real intention to use less skin in the game even if he’s totally lying to get Apollo or whomever to buy in while he’s in control. Don’t know why they would though given he’s never met a time milestone in his corporate existence dating back to PayPal before he started using the wig or plugs or whatever on his head to pretend he didn’t lose his hair in the early 2000s and run around like a wanna be di caprio in Hollywood.

It’s something else seeing a liberal distraught that an accomplished guy wants to bring back free speech to a social media platform.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Illogical stupid comment neither on point or of any real value.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:35 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:04 pmNot only did they agree to sell (while fending off a ticked off Jack Dorsey who’s been whispering in Musks ear the whole time about buying Twitter), their bankers told them they’d never see that valuation in its present form as a public company. Now Musk is trying to get PE firms to come in and lessen his financial commitment by claiming he will have the thing back public within 5yrs, which both defies the “public square” comment but also shows his real intention to use less skin in the game even if he’s totally lying to get Apollo or whomever to buy in while he’s in control. Don’t know why they would though given he’s never met a time milestone in his corporate existence dating back to PayPal before he started using the wig or plugs or whatever on his head to pretend he didn’t lose his hair in the early 2000s and run around like a wanna be di caprio in Hollywood.
Yeah he’s got real acolytes. Not a lot of deep thinking amongst that crowd however.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:07 pmYeah he’s got real acolytes. Not a lot of deep thinking amongst that crowd however.
You got a response in record time even.

But you did get something wrong. Musk doesn't have hair plugs. His original hair began regenerating once he started injecting liquified cash into his veins. One of the many benefits of that therapy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:17 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 8:07 pmYeah he’s got real acolytes. Not a lot of deep thinking amongst that crowd however.
You got a response in record time even.

But you did get something wrong. Musk doesn't have hair plugs. His original hair began regenerating once he started injecting liquified cash into his veins. One of the many benefits of that therapy.
Probably a reason he and trump are increasingly simpatico with fake hair. Just peruse this story, 2/3 of the way down or so, to see a pic of musk from 1999, when he was in his 20s but looked like a 47yr old Eastern European immigrant who drives a cab.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.busine ... 9-11%3famp
LandM

Post by LandM »

???? - what is the business model of laxpower? A public lacrosse forum? The business model here - IMHO - does not warrant a valuation, buy-out or any other valuation metric - just a bunch of dudes hanging out? Been doing that in Telluride last 3 months, always hate leaving the house here - no worries. Never been on Twitter, thought and still think it is a stupid platform - lots of garbage and hate but as my wife taught me, "one persons junk is another's treasure".

OPM - the reward is less, the ability to leverage is huge. Why mock Musk, many of the posters appear to have done, on a smaller scale, what he is doing or claim that - the reward is diminished but seriously he seems to be putting his money where his mouth is - his cash, not others - why mock??? He does have some PE traction - if that is his believe - stupid or wise - why the mock????

Finally hard to take most posters out here seriously - most of you all take the blue pill for Trump right now - too bad - travel this country in the motorhome between here and Canandaigua every year - different routes -same people - hard working, want the best for their family and most of what is posted out here is from a bunch of pampered old folks - good luck with that. I hate Trump but he does not occupy my head thankfully. Hopefully I can get ggait the famous lax player out here and ski some bumps:) next year.

FF - I am an entrepreneur - did not do the typical filings, used my own cash and never set up the banking situation you mentioned in my last post. It is good to be a simple person without all the degrees from the well-heeled schools.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Interesting.....being played so the minority voice becomes the majority movement. MIndgames. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdV6IYxl ... _copy_link
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

My man has been paying fast and loose with public equity markers for 15yrs and it’s going to catch up with him. This is no small matter. Ironically it may the way he can back out of a bad economic deal and save face which would be hilarious if it weren’t so messed up.

Elon Musk’s Belated Disclosure of Twitter Stake Triggers Regulators’ Probes
SEC is investigating Tesla CEO for tardy notification after buying 5% of Twitter’s stock; FTC has separate probe under way of purchase reporting

Elon Musk has a history of feuding with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which sued him in 2018.

By Dave MichaelsFollow
May 11, 2022 5:18 pm ET

WASHINGTON—Federal regulators are investigating Elon Musk’s late disclosure last month of his sizable stake in Twitter Inc., TWTR -2.48% according to people familiar with the matter, a lag that allowed him to buy more stock without alerting other shareholders to his ownership.

The Securities and Exchange Commission is probing Mr. Musk’s tardy submission of a public form that investors must file when they buy more than 5% of a company’s shares, the people said. The disclosure functions as an early sign to shareholders and companies that a significant investor could seek to control or influence a company.

The Tesla Inc. chief executive made his filing on April 4, at least 10 days after his stake surpassed the trigger point for disclosure. Mr. Musk hasn’t publicly explained why he didn’t file in a timely manner.

The SEC investigation hasn’t been previously reported. An SEC spokesman declined to comment. An attorney for Mr. Musk didn’t respond to a message Wednesday seeking comment.

Mr. Musk likely saved more than $143 million by not reporting that his trades had crossed the 5% threshold, said Daniel Taylor, a University of Pennsylvania accounting professor, since the share price could have been higher had the market known of the billionaire’s growing stake.

Investors who cross that line are required to file a form with the SEC revealing their stake within 10 days. Mr. Musk’s holdings topped 5% on March 14, securities filings show, meaning he should have disclosed his stake by March 24 under SEC rules.

After March 24, Mr. Musk purchased roughly $513 million worth of stock at prices between $38.20 and $40.31 a share, according to a regulatory filing. The total buying spree made him Twitter’s largest individual shareholder with 9.2% of its shares.

Based on Twitter’s closing price of $49.97 on April 4, the day Mr. Musk disclosed his stake, he likely saved more than $143 million on those trades, Dr. Taylor estimated.

“The case is easy. It’s straightforward. But whether they’re going to pick that battle with Elon is another question,” said Dr. Taylor, referring to the prospect of a regulatory lawsuit against the outspoken entrepreneur.

The SEC could drop its investigation without bringing civil claims, as not every probe results in formal action. An SEC lawsuit against Mr. Musk would be unlikely to derail the Twitter deal because the company’s board of directors has endorsed it and the SEC generally lacks the power to stop mergers or take-private transactions, said Jill E. Fisch, a securities and corporate law professor at the University of Pennsylvania Law School.

Regulators could seek a court order preventing Mr. Musk from voting shares he acquired without proper disclosure, but the SEC generally hasn’t pursued that remedy, Ms. Fisch said.

On his initial form disclosing his Twitter share purchases, Mr. Musk said he was a passive shareholder, meaning he didn’t plan to take over Twitter or influence its management or business. The following day, he submitted another form that showed deeper involvement with the company, including an April 4 offer to join its board of directors.

Mr. Musk offered a week later to buy Twitter for $44 billion. The deal is scheduled to close later this year and must be approved by Twitter stockholders. SEC investigators, who have sought documents from Twitter, are probing whether Mr. Musk’s initial disclosure should have revealed more about his plans for the investment, the people said.

Mr. Musk is a prolific user of Twitter who says the platform is languishing under a corporate approach to content moderation that censors some users. “I hope that even my worst critics remain on Twitter, because that is what free speech means,” he tweeted on April 25.

He also has a long history of feuding with the SEC, an agency that sued him in September 2018 over allegedly fraudulent statements he made on Twitter about having obtained funding to take Tesla private. Mr. Musk settled the case by paying a $20 million fine, giving up his role as Tesla’s chairman, and agreeing to have certain tweets about Tesla precleared by the company’s lawyers.

Recently, Mr. Musk has denied lying in 2018 about taking Tesla private and said he felt pressured to settle the SEC investigation. A federal judge last month denied his petition to scrap the deal and dump the policy of having his tweets monitored by lawyers.

Separately, the Federal Trade Commission is investigating whether Mr. Musk violated a law that requires companies and people to report certain large transactions to antitrust-enforcement agencies, according to a person familiar with the matter. After making the filing, an investor generally waits at least 30 days—giving the government time to review the purchase for whether it hurts competition—before buying more shares.

Activist investors are subject to the antitrust filing requirements if their purchases of a company’s shares exceed a threshold—generally $92 million—and their existing assets are greater than $20 million. Passive investors who hold less than 10% of a company’s shares and don’t plan to be involved in governance or steer basic business decisions are exempt from the requirement.

If the FTC alleges violations of the law, it can seek fines of up to $43,792 a day. The FTC investigation was earlier reported by the website The Information.

—Rebecca Elliott contributed to this article.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

“I gots real sec issues and my highly levered tesla holdings are tanking. Material Adverse Clause! MAC MAC!”

Elon Musk Says Twitter Deal Is on Hold, Sending Shares Lower Premarket

Tesla CEO had a $44 billion offer to buy Twitter accepted last month

Updated May 13, 2022 6:42 am ET

“Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of users,” Mr. Musk said in a tweet early Friday. He linked to a May 2 Reuters report about a recent Twitter securities filing with those statistics.

Twitter shares were down nearly 20% in premarket trade. Mr. Musk disclosed a 9% stake in the social-networking website last month and sought to buy the remainder of the company at a price of $54.20 a share. He said he had lined up $46.5 billion of funding for the transaction.

Advertisement - Scroll to Continue

Mr. Musk plans to bring a commitment to a more hands-off approach on speech moderation to a company that has struggled to reconcile freewheeling conversations with content that appeals to advertisers.

Newsletter Sign-up

Tech Things With Joanna Stern

Everything is now a tech thing. Columnist Joanna Stern is your guide, giving analysis and answering your questions about our always-connected world.

Some investors saw the pause in the acquisition as a potential sign that the deal may not go ahead.

“I think he’s potentially seeding the ground for pulling out of the deal. That’s certainly the market’s interpretation,” said Michael Hewson, chief markets analyst at CMC Markets. “But we’ll have to wait and see, it’s a bit strange to go through all that legwork and pull funding together and then suddenly put it on hold. It is a rather strange development.”

The move comes a day after Twitter said it was pausing hiring and looking to cut costs as it grapples with disruptions in the digital advertising market from global economic turmoil and the war in Ukraine. Across the tech industry, companies are cutting staff and spending or slowing hiring.

Mr. Musk’s tweet comes as many big tech stocks have been falling on Wall Street. Twitter’s stock price had remained below Mr. Musk’s offer price as investors wondered if the deal may get re-worked or not get done.

Twitter said in its most recent quarterly report that by its estimates, false or spam accounts represented fewer than 5% of its daily active users in the first three months of the year.

The social-media company warned that its estimate is based on a sampling of accounts, and that “the actual number of false or spam accounts could be higher than we have estimated.”

The Tesla Inc. chief executive had vowed to eradicate fake Twitter users and spam accounts as part of his bid to buy the social-media company.

Anna Hirtenstein contributed to this article.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Todays big reveal:

Above all else, Democrats want to control speech; if that totalitarian mindset crushes stock prices, we don’t care.

November 8 is going to be historic.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Elon Musk's Twitter clown car

Dan Primack
Dan Primack
, author of Axios Pro Rata

Axios on facebook

Axios on twitter

Axios on linkedin

Axios on email
An illustration of Twitter's logo as a puzzle with a piece missing.
Illustration: Natalie Peeples/Axios
Before dawn on Friday the 13th, Elon Musk may have murdered his Twitter takeover.

Driving the news: The mercurial Musk at 5:44am ET tweeted: "Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of users."

He also linked to a Reuters story about that spam estimate, which was from nearly two weeks ago.
At 7:50am, Musk added: "Still committed to acquisition."
If Musk really needs details supporting that calculation, then why not privately ask the management team with which he's barely had any contact? Or the board? And then, if the numbers don't check out, walk away. Maybe he'd even have been able to get out of his $1 billion breakup fee, arguing that Twitter misrepresented user metrics.

He also could have conducted due diligence before agreeing to buy the company, which sources say is something acquirers sometimes do.
Instead, this only intensifies speculation that Musk has buyer's remorse. Not only because he arguably overpaid, but also because of the amount of paper value he's lost on Tesla stock (and possibly crypto holdings) since the Twitter deal was first announced.

There's a reason Twitter was trading around $10 per share lower than Musk's purchase price, which is way wider than typical merger arbitrage. (FYI: Musk isn't limited under a standstill agreement, so theoretically could buy discounted Twitter shares on the open market, but the poison pill remains in effect).
What to know: Axios' Felix Salmon called this situation a "clown car" during a phone conversation yesterday, harkening back to an old Mark Zuckerberg comment, after Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal canned two senior product executives and announced a hiring freeze. Again, that was yesterday.

At the time, it felt like Agarwal was auditioning for Musk. Still does, but now he has much more credibility for the "I have a business to run and revenue targets to hit" line.
The bottom line: It's possible, perhaps even likely, that this is Musk's way of trying to renegotiate. But if so, it's creating a ton of short-term collateral damage.

Not only to Twitter and Musk's reputations, but also to the psyches of thousands of employees whose financial futures are being put in unnecessary flux. Remember, lots of these people have options that accelerate if the deal closes. And others could be needing to find new jobs, right as the tech industry appears to be contracting.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Less is more" comes to big data

Ina Fried
Ina Fried
, author of Axios Login

Axios on facebook

Axios on twitter

Axios on linkedin

Axios on email

Illustration: Aïda Amer/Axios
The likely demise of Roe v. Wade is putting a new spotlight on privacy rights and personal data. But even as some big tech companies are beginning to try to limit how much data their existing products collect, the industry keeps rolling out new waves of devices and services that scoop up even more personal info.

Why it matters: Any trove of data will sooner or later end up at the other end of a request, or order, to be shared with law enforcement. The newest generation of gear, including autonomous vehicles and always-on cameras, could provide the state with a persistent and omnipresent method of surveillance.

The big picture: "Data minimization" is an ethical guideline, encoded in the EU's GDPR privacy framework and other regulations, urging organizations to collect only the data they actually need and to keep it only as long as they need it.

Google has taken a number of steps in this direction, including processing more data on devices rather than in the cloud and allowing users to set information to be deleted automatically.
Apple has made data privacy a core principle, encrypting messaging data and limiting access to some other types of data so that only the user with the device can access it.
Be smart: Broader shifts in computing threaten to overshadow those efforts with new classes of products that depend on massive collection of data.

One big trend is building devices around sensors and cameras that are always recording, such as doorbell cameras and autonomous vehicles.
The machine learning algorithms that underlie everything from search engines to speech recognition only work when trained on mountains of data, creating another incentive for companies to build info stockpiles.
"Not only will more data be collected but exponentially more," says Evan Greer, deputy director of Fight for the Future. "It's inevitable that mountain of additional data being collected will be abused."
Driving the news: This week, Vice reported details of the San Francisco Police Department seeking footage from GM-owned Cruise, one of several autonomous car companies whose vehicles are constantly riding around the streets of the city.

The SFPD acknowledged to Axios that it makes requests for footage to investigate specific crimes, but denied it wants to use them for ongoing surveillance.
Civil rights groups say the stakes of collecting such data have also increased, especially in the U.S.

"Those data sources have long been vulnerable to government demands," says Matt Cagle, a staff attorney at the ACLU of Northern California, However, the rise of AI is "pouring fuel" on the fire, Cagle said, "particularly in this moment when states are criminalizing abortion and gender affirming care."
"In a world where the Supreme Court might overturn Roe v. Wade, that dystopian hypothetical is no longer hypothetical," Cagle told Axios.
Of note: Vast amounts of data are also available for purchase online, allowing law enforcement agencies to acquire information they may not be able to get through a court order.

Between the lines: While customers have some say over how their own data is stored on their devices, in many cases these newer technologies are sweeping up tons of data about bystanders and third parties.

With a doorbell camera, it's the home owner or renter who buys the device, but the video can capture everyone who passes by.
Autonomous vehicles owned by large tech companies like Cruise and Waymo are capturing footage of anyone in their path.
Yes, but: Data stockpiles sometimes serve a public good, especially in documenting human rights abuses.

One example: four Congressional Democrats Thursday called on Facebook and TikTok to preserve evidence of potential war crimes in Ukraine.
Flashback: Makers of the Flip camera, a portable video device that was popular before smartphones could capture large amounts of video, promoted the idea that more people recording more of their lives would make the world

Return to “POLITICS”