Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by 51percentcorn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:12 pm The interview really wasn't about lacrosse, wasn't intended to be, but I found Jenn's comments quite interesting nevertheless. Same for her overall philosophy and thoughts about developing leaders.
Yes you are absolutely correct - interview was not intended to be about lacrosse and her comments were well articulated and interesting. But since this is a lacrosse related web-site and the admin has taken shots on the lacrosse program - I was just making a PSA that if someone was expecting/hoping she would say - "I've got PM's you know whats in a vice grip if he doesn't win a title - Does anybody have some raw red meat?" they were going to be very disappointed.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:43 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:12 pm The interview really wasn't about lacrosse, wasn't intended to be, but I found Jenn's comments quite interesting nevertheless. Same for her overall philosophy and thoughts about developing leaders.
Yes you are absolutely correct - interview was not intended to be about lacrosse and her comments were well articulated and interesting. But since this is a lacrosse related web-site and the admin has taken shots on the lacrosse program - I was just making a PSA that if someone was expecting/hoping she would say - "I've got PM's you know whats in a vice grip if he doesn't win a title - Does anybody have some raw red meat?" they were going to be very disappointed.
:lol: :D I was reasonably impressed with her thoughts and expectations. It was great, though unsurprising, that she herself placed such standing on the tradition of lacrosse at Hopkins. "Medicine and lacrosse"...and more.

And it's pretty remarkable how widespread the athletic success has been. That said, I heard her reference to the pressure that high expectations bring...pretty clear that there are high expectations across the board.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:50 pm
:lol: :D I was reasonably impressed with her thoughts and expectations. It was great, though unsurprising, that she herself placed such standing on the tradition of lacrosse at Hopkins. "Medicine and lacrosse"...and more.

And it's pretty remarkable how widespread the athletic success has been. That said, I heard her reference to the pressure that high expectations bring...pretty clear that there are high expectations across the board.
I'm pretty sure the only reason anyone at the school knows we have any teams other than lacrosse are because they meet the kids who play for them during orientation or sit in classes with them and I doubt any of them follow any of the teams. With lacrosse judging by the student sections at games I doubt most of the students care about the team and even know who guys like Rabil, Harrison, Durkin were. Don't equate message board posters from old Hopkins with the current students and younger alumni from new Hopkins who don't know winning Hopkins lacrosse. This is the whole point of the Daniels/Bloomberg "New Hopkins".
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

What must it be like to go through life as jhu06? I can't even imagine. Has to be a totally miserable existence

Anyway, recruiting is really picking up. Think we'll have a few announced here soon
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:28 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:50 pm

I'm pretty sure the only reason anyone at the school knows we have any teams other than lacrosse are because they meet the kids who play for them during orientation or sit in classes with them and I doubt any of them follow any of the teams. With lacrosse judging by the student sections at games I doubt most of the students care about the team and even know who guys like Rabil, Harrison, Durkin were. Don't equate message board posters from old Hopkins with the current students and younger alumni from new Hopkins who don't know winning Hopkins lacrosse. This is the whole point of the Daniels/Bloomberg "New Hopkins".
That's not my experience when I'm a guest lecturer. There are frequently athletes from various sports in the classes and it's clear that the other students are aware of those sports and their progress...you really think most students don't know about the baseball team's success?

I don't have a direct comparison to say 20 years ago, as I wasn't lecturing then, but I disagree that most all students don't know about or care about the lacrosse legacy or team...but I'm not sure that in any era there were many students who knew the names of star players from a decade much less two decades earlier. At best the ones paying attention knew the stars during their immediate tenure and if they made it to a game and weren't too drunk maybe they read the program or listened to a halftime tribute...and BTW, that's pretty much true of college age football fans at SEC schools as well...maybe they know a couple of the names currently in the NFL, but unless they grew up with it, they don't know and it's just not relevant to the opportunity to tailgate.

Now, 40+ years ago, this may have been a little different for Hopkins lacrosse, but I doubt most of the college students in 1980 even knew who Joe Cowan was other than if he was helping coach that year, much less who Morrill and Webster were. Just a reality.

Right now at Hopkins it would be fair to say, like at most selective schools, the athletes from the various sports know who each other are, and there's some additional support from fraternity and sorority types on campus...social folks who enjoy excuses to get together. But there are a heck of a lot of alternative forms of entertainment with one's spare time these days, so we see attendance down across the board except in the big money sports or occasionally when a team is having exceptional success...obviously the drinking age and issues with public intoxication have put a big crimp on activities that were once centers of social activity...

Of course, also gotta win and gotta play games when the sun is out to expect peak attendance and awareness. TV priorities screw with that. It also didn't help, IMO, when Hop aligned Big 10 and some of the traditional rivalries were skipped or deemphasized...but that's a tiny piece relative to playing games on sunny Saturdays in a run for a championship.

None of that was my point about AD Baker and the questioner. I thought it was interesting that in that interview with an AD the only sport raised was lacrosse and Jen was so effusive about the importance of the sport to Hopkins. It's good to hear that articulated...it would have been disappointing to have had a lukewarm response.

Seems to me that Hopkins is nearly always in the hunt for the very top honors in DIII and yet lacrosse is the premier sport still today with continued high expectations and hopes. I don't see ANY desire to not have that not be the case.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Per NLF Twitter, we have a first commit:

@jhumenslacrosse lands one of the best athletes among the ‘25 goalies as @Sweetlax_Fla’s Dash Lamitie commits.

NLF No. 31 is a 6-3, 180-pounder who moves really well for his size. Excellent hand speed and plus rebound control.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Jays land IL's #2 goalie and #29 overall player in the class, Dash Lamitie from Salisbury: https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/17 ... 2627385608

Guess it wasn't in the cards for Marcus' kid. Would have been a nice story, but certainly can't complain with this. Sounds like we're getting a stud.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:45 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:54 pm
coda wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:18 am
BigTom5 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:28 pm
OCanada wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:44 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:39 pm
nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:50 pm Look, if everyone at Hop is getting 25%, it really shouldn't be surprising that we're not getting "top ten" recruits because other schools are offering those guys more than 25%. And if we're giving 25% to the 12th guy in a recruiting class, the staff is just dumb (which they're not). I get the "lore", but there's got to be some heavy duty semantics going on there to make that statement "true". Epstein (our last #1 recruit), for example, didn't need a 100% "athletic scholarship", as, if I recall correctly, one of his parents was employed by the university. Some of our other recent top recruits probably qualified for substantial need based aid and thus didn't need a ton of "athletic" scholarship money either, but I'm also pretty sure they're not paying a ton out of pocket.
While they might not have done it per-NIL, I have first hand knowledge that Hopkins has been giving out 100% scholarships over the last two recruiting cycles. Was informed by a parent of a 2024 commit. Given that he is not their highest ranked commit, I’m guessing there are others who got similar offers.

What they may have received is a net free ride from all sources Over the years there have been claims of a full athletic schollie that were really based on different sources or just puffery. So wbo are these recipients. I know a couple of families in the soph class.
Correct it was a net full ride, part athletic scholarship, the rest funded by an NIL collective pool. All counts the same for the parents, they aren’t paying anything out of pocket.
I know there are rumors of Hopkins throwing around NIL money, but that on seems odd. Not that it wasn’t a solid class, but there were not any headliners in that 24 class. That is a really poor ROI, if it is the case
Do you know the current going rate of a Bloomberg terminal???? It’s like Google ventures pissing money away on moonshots that time will decay the value of 90% of the time.
Bloomberg is pretty much a necessity for a trading business. I have no idea what you are trying to say with that. I view it more as paying 8x cash-flow for something that should trade at 5x. Paying through the market on Irelan, makes sense. Proven commodity, that has potential to be the final piece of a final four team. Paying through the market price for unknowns, doesn’t. Seems like an unsustainable business model, but it is not money. I wish them luck
That was my point-they have deep pockets to overpay that ain’t our money and frankly we don’t know if one of those 8x prices comes with a subsidiary game that ends up being worth more than the parent company (option value of development and variability fo recruiting analysis to outcomes). Give each kid $50k a year on top of cost of attendance and that’s like $2.5MM/annum. That’s covered by a $50mm gift earning 5%/yr in a 501c3 which is the min to be kicked out anyways. They can do it. If there’s a Harrison / Rabil and each year you have to pay up a little more add like $500-$750k to that for the top 10-15 kids.

Overpay long enough and you’ll trip across an occasional Ben Reeves/Rob Parnell on too of everyone else and it’s sustainable for five decades.

(And yes I miss having a terminal the last few years having used one about 70% of my working life when in structured products and other capital market roles, not when in certain Corp fin and credit roles. It’s brilliant I don’t know how they refined it so much over the decades to sweep so much relevant information.)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

nyjay wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:38 pm Per NLF Twitter, we have a first commit:

@jhumenslacrosse lands one of the best athletes among the ‘25 goalies as @Sweetlax_Fla’s Dash Lamitie commits.

NLF No. 31 is a 6-3, 180-pounder who moves really well for his size. Excellent hand speed and plus rebound control.
Hey, I want to play with an elite goalie!
This recruit could inspire others to sign up.
Everyone wants a wall behind them.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:39 pm Jays land IL's #2 goalie and #29 overall player in the class, Dash Lamitie from Salisbury: https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/17 ... 2627385608

Guess it wasn't in the cards for Marcus' kid. Would have been a nice story, but certainly can't complain with this. Sounds like we're getting a stud.
Marcus to UNC per Xanders.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Milliman's goalie recruits - with the exception of Sgt. Friday - are all bigger kids. FWIW - not much I am sure - but if you like your IL stars and numerical analysis - the '24 goalie recruit - Andrew Cook amd the '23 goalie recruit - PJ Verdi have the EXACT same ratings as the latest recruit - 4 stars and an 88 number in the analysis. Here's hoping that one of them works out.
coda

Post by coda »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:38 pm
coda wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:45 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:54 pm
coda wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:18 am
BigTom5 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:28 pm
OCanada wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:44 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:39 pm
nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:50 pm Look, if everyone at Hop is getting 25%, it really shouldn't be surprising that we're not getting "top ten" recruits because other schools are offering those guys more than 25%. And if we're giving 25% to the 12th guy in a recruiting class, the staff is just dumb (which they're not). I get the "lore", but there's got to be some heavy duty semantics going on there to make that statement "true". Epstein (our last #1 recruit), for example, didn't need a 100% "athletic scholarship", as, if I recall correctly, one of his parents was employed by the university. Some of our other recent top recruits probably qualified for substantial need based aid and thus didn't need a ton of "athletic" scholarship money either, but I'm also pretty sure they're not paying a ton out of pocket.
While they might not have done it per-NIL, I have first hand knowledge that Hopkins has been giving out 100% scholarships over the last two recruiting cycles. Was informed by a parent of a 2024 commit. Given that he is not their highest ranked commit, I’m guessing there are others who got similar offers.

What they may have received is a net free ride from all sources Over the years there have been claims of a full athletic schollie that were really based on different sources or just puffery. So wbo are these recipients. I know a couple of families in the soph class.
Correct it was a net full ride, part athletic scholarship, the rest funded by an NIL collective pool. All counts the same for the parents, they aren’t paying anything out of pocket.
I know there are rumors of Hopkins throwing around NIL money, but that on seems odd. Not that it wasn’t a solid class, but there were not any headliners in that 24 class. That is a really poor ROI, if it is the case
Do you know the current going rate of a Bloomberg terminal???? It’s like Google ventures pissing money away on moonshots that time will decay the value of 90% of the time.
Bloomberg is pretty much a necessity for a trading business. I have no idea what you are trying to say with that. I view it more as paying 8x cash-flow for something that should trade at 5x. Paying through the market on Irelan, makes sense. Proven commodity, that has potential to be the final piece of a final four team. Paying through the market price for unknowns, doesn’t. Seems like an unsustainable business model, but it is not money. I wish them luck
That was my point-they have deep pockets to overpay that ain’t our money and frankly we don’t know if one of those 8x prices comes with a subsidiary game that ends up being worth more than the parent company (option value of development and variability fo recruiting analysis to outcomes). Give each kid $50k a year on top of cost of attendance and that’s like $2.5MM/annum. That’s covered by a $50mm gift earning 5%/yr in a 501c3 which is the min to be kicked out anyways. They can do it. If there’s a Harrison / Rabil and each year you have to pay up a little more add like $500-$750k to that for the top 10-15 kids.

Overpay long enough and you’ll trip across an occasional Ben Reeves/Rob Parnell on too of everyone else and it’s sustainable for five decades.

(And yes I miss having a terminal the last few years having used one about 70% of my working life when in structured products and other capital market roles, not when in certain Corp fin and credit roles. It’s brilliant I don’t know how they refined it so much over the decades to sweep so much relevant information.)
Bloomberg is pretty much unchanged for the last 2 decades. I always thing of Texas A&M, when i think of NIL going bad. They went all out to get a high ranking class. They hit an all-time high team recruiting ranking that year. Issues arrive when you have kids on the bench making more than those on the field. The culture became a problem. Its deeper than just the money, but that was certainly a contributing factor. To your point I always though the best use of NIL was to have a general fund, straight socialism on that. Say you have 50 man roster. 1 million gets you 20k per kid and 2 million gets you to 40k. That should pretty much cover the ability to retain and recruit players. Retain players is the under-rated factor of that. Then have deals for your stars or special situations (needed portal or top 5 type kid).
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Class up to 3 - Xanders reports Jay Rodgers from Gilman - 4 star - A/M - Collison big at 6'4" 200 lbs
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:14 am Class up to 3 - Xanders reports Jay Rodgers from Gilman - 4 star - A/M - Collison big at 6'4" 200 lbs
https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/17 ... 5000837235

Looks like a Cole Williams clone in his highlight videos. Good at getting to the middle.

Also nice to see Gilman making something of a comeback on the recruiting trail. Also have an LSM going to UNC in this class and a defenseman to Notre Dame in the previous one. Think it helps us if that program gets back toward the top of the MIAA.

Keep em coming
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

LaxAllStars wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:38 am Transfer Portal Impact

https://laxallstars.com/who-won-the-transfer-portal/
would be interesting if he or IL did a follow up story from the rutgers/cuse/osu group of what it's like to lose kids to graduation, have kids stay on as grad students, bring in a big class of freshmen and then a class of 8-10 transfers all in an offseason. Just seems like a lot of movement and upheaval and it's already tough enough to win and develop at that level. You compare that to at least hopkins when I was there you had 8-10 kids graduating, 8-10 kids coming in, maybe a transfer and maybe a guy or 2 dropping off the roster but staying in school. A totally different era.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Oct. 7 @ Hofstra

2:45pm vs. Lehigh
4:30pm vs. Hofstra
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:28 am Milliman's goalie recruits - with the exception of Sgt. Friday - are all bigger kids. FWIW - not much I am sure - but if you like your IL stars and numerical analysis - the '24 goalie recruit - Andrew Cook amd the '23 goalie recruit - PJ Verdi have the EXACT same ratings as the latest recruit - 4 stars and an 88 number in the analysis. Here's hoping that one of them works out.
Your post on the differences in goaltending between Hopkins and Maryland over the last decade+ was one of the best in understanding the differences between the Tilliman and end of Petro/start of PM era. Only thing Tillman loves more than glove checks and worn out baseball hats is goalie development.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Patrick Moore, the goalie from D3 Lynchburg, was officially added as a walk-on:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxNsxtoLUtS/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/p/CxNuauPMsDi/?img_index=1

From what I heard, he worked his ass off.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

My take on the fall ball depth chart:

Attack: Degnon, Angelus, Melendez
1st Line: Grimes, Collison, Peshko
2 line: English, McDermott, H. Chauvette
3 line: Marquis, C. Chauvette, Ayers, Evans
D: Smith, Szuluk, Stoebner
G: Ierlan

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”