Transfer Portal 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
SCLaxAttack

Re: Transfer Portal 2024

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:09 pm
Crease Crank wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:47 pm Hoping to bring everyone together with this question. Can we all agree that the NCAA giving players an additional year of eligibility due to Covid was a terrible decision? It’s awful what this has done to the ‘20-‘22 classes. And I say this knowing that if I was given the extra year, I would have certainly taken it. Plus, it would have eliminated much of these aggressive debates.
If you think one extra year for D1 is bad, D3 didn’t count 2020 or 2021. There are kids playing 6 years.
This is going to open an entirely new can of worms, and it may even be more appropriate for the "Aritocrat sport" thread, but here goes ....

Back in the late 70s when I played I missed my junior year due to a fall semester broken wrist that didn't heal in the spring until two weeks before I started my summer lifeguard job at North Hempstead Beach Park. While eligible to, I didn't think for a second that I should extend my playing career by a season by staying in college an extra year. Money - couldn't spend it on extra credits and had to start a job to start making it - was absolutely a factor.

So even with a pittance of NIL and a portion of an athletic scholarship how, and why, are today's student athletes spending an extra year or two in college - some of them essentially so they can play a game? Do they not care about their loans, or are mom and dad above upper middle class income earners?
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:01 am
Wheels wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:58 am
mdk01 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:49 am
Schaller got a decent amount of time at LSM for Maryland last year so that's not much of a rebuild. The ssdm's to Rutgers are good on paper. What remains to be seen how they and the other transfers fit in.
Schaller played close once Zappitello hurt his hand. Nick Redd had to pick back up the long pole to play LSM in the B1G Tournament and against Army in the NCAAs. McDonald returns and should bump up to fill Gerrpert's top spot. Schaller did come out of HS as an All-American LSM, so maybe the staff moves him back up top. Larkin redshirted last season and was thought to be the next in line at close.

The unknowns for Maryland in its shorty group are that after Redd, Eric Kolar, and the UVM transfer, you have Josh Coffman coming back after 2 ACL injuries (one on each knee) and the likely departure of Dante Trader. Redd and Kolar are good. The UVM transfer has great experience and should be solid. If Coffman returns to anywhere near his form from 2021, that's a good group of shorties.
Whatever happened to Grant Hansen? Thought he’d be a solid SSDM for UMD but he just dropped off the roster.
Hansen went to Rollins- where he dominated offensively. And good for him
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

backerzone wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:55 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:01 am
Wheels wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:58 am
mdk01 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:49 am
Schaller got a decent amount of time at LSM for Maryland last year so that's not much of a rebuild. The ssdm's to Rutgers are good on paper. What remains to be seen how they and the other transfers fit in.
Schaller played close once Zappitello hurt his hand. Nick Redd had to pick back up the long pole to play LSM in the B1G Tournament and against Army in the NCAAs. McDonald returns and should bump up to fill Gerrpert's top spot. Schaller did come out of HS as an All-American LSM, so maybe the staff moves him back up top. Larkin redshirted last season and was thought to be the next in line at close.

The unknowns for Maryland in its shorty group are that after Redd, Eric Kolar, and the UVM transfer, you have Josh Coffman coming back after 2 ACL injuries (one on each knee) and the likely departure of Dante Trader. Redd and Kolar are good. The UVM transfer has great experience and should be solid. If Coffman returns to anywhere near his form from 2021, that's a good group of shorties.
Whatever happened to Grant Hansen? Thought he’d be a solid SSDM for UMD but he just dropped off the roster.
Hansen went to Rollins- where he dominated offensively. And good for him
Ahh will have to look it up. His older brother blake has been a very good FS last few years at Hobart and I thought he could be a nice player on the lacrosse team but never came up. Good athlete and 6’2” who did pretty well himself at Hun. Wondered when I seen Grant wasn’t on UMD roster if there was any triage opportunity but not sure DeWall and Raymond like to share too much. Nice place to go to college. Relaxed when I visited with some college buddies 25yrs ago.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:52 pm
Crease Crank wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:47 pm Hoping to bring everyone together with this question. Can we all agree that the NCAA giving players an additional year of eligibility due to Covid was a terrible decision? It’s awful what this has done to the ‘20-‘22 classes. And I say this knowing that if I was given the extra year, I would have certainly taken it. Plus, it would have eliminated much of these aggressive debates.
If you think one extra year for D1 is bad, D3 didn’t count 2020 or 2021. There are kids playing 6 years.
This is going to open an entirely new can of worms, and it may even be more appropriate for the "Aritocrat sport" thread, but here goes ....

Back in the late 70s when I played I missed my junior year due to a fall semester broken wrist that didn't heal in the spring until two weeks before I started my summer lifeguard job at North Hempstead Beach Park. While eligible to, I didn't think for a second that I should extend my playing career by a season by staying in college an extra year. Money - couldn't spend it on extra credits and had to start a job to start making it - was absolutely a factor.

So even with a pittance of NIL and a portion of an athletic scholarship how, and why, are today's student athletes spending an extra year or two in college - some of them essentially so they can play a game? Do they not care about their loans, or are mom and dad above upper middle class income earners?
You grew up in/near Port Washington?

Joe
henryben

Post by henryben »

I get playing one extra year but two? Our son is a D1 player right now but if he was D3 and asked for 2 extra years thst would be a really hard sell to us…
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:37 pm

Joe
Seaford. Or as it was (and might still be for all I know) said on the LIRR when announcing the station, Seaford by the sea.
relaxedfan

Post by relaxedfan »

Why would it matter if he was D3? Many D3 schools offer more aid or cost less than the D1 guys? Just curious why you who pay for an extra year of D1 but not D3?
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

Jldlax wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:26 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:11 pm Penn State doesn’t have 6 sixth year players.

TJ Malone took a medical red shirt for his 6th year graduate year, possibly he’s doing a two year masters.

The St Lawrence transfer may be on his 6th year.

The kids coming in will see the field, I’m mostly thinking about Kyle Lehman and Liam Matthews here,

they’ll learn from a two time Final Four player, TJ Malone, what it takes to win the B1G and perform at a high level in the NCAAs.
Here we go again. PSU has 6 6 year (5 year) guys, that is OK and will not harm development of younger guys or team morale. But RU taking 11 transfers after graduating 20 is a crime. Please…
It is a huge difference between a player staying at his school for a 5th (or 6th) year after he is already been in the program and a teammate, he is not taking away a job he is just keeping it. But a 5th year grad transfering in for a one and done is taking way playing time. I have sons that have been effected both by losing playing time to a transfer and return for a 5th year.

Post by 1766 »

jersey shore lax wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:17 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:11 pm Penn State doesn’t have 6 sixth year players.

TJ Malone took a medical red shirt for his 6th year graduate year, possibly he’s doing a two year masters.

The kids coming in will see the field, I’m mostly thinking about Kyle Lehman and Liam Matthews here,

they’ll learn from a two time Final Four player, TJ Malone, what it takes to win the B1G and perform at a high level in the NCAAs.
Here we go again. PSU has 6 6 year (5 year) guys, that is OK and will not harm development of younger guys or team morale. But RU taking 11 transfers after graduating 20 is a crime. Please…
It is a huge difference between a player staying at his school for a 5th (or 6th) year after he is already been in the program and a teammate, he is not taking away a job he is just keeping it. But a 5th year grad transfering in for a one and done is taking way playing time. I have sons that have been effected both by losing playing time to a transfer and return for a 5th year.
A guy staying 6 years is definitely taking time from some other recruit. No one could plan or would plan for that. Which btw, I have no problem with. This is big boy lacrosse. Every coach is expected to bring in the most talent they can every year. Rutgers goes into the portal just like every school now. This isn't a secret.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:02 pm

Joe
Seaford. Or as it was (and might still be for all I know) said on the LIRR when announcing the station, Seaford by the sea.
Good stuff, bit of hike to North Hempstead Beach Park! Due north all the way. Was it called "Bar Beach" back then like it is now?

Joe
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

1766 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:14 pm

A guy staying 6 years is definitely taking time from some other recruit. No one could plan or would plan for that. Which btw, I have no problem with. This is big boy lacrosse. Every coach is expected to bring in the most talent they can every year. Rutgers goes into the portal just like every school now. This isn't a secret.
10 guys on the field at a time so every kid on the field is taking playing time away from someone, the point I was trying to make is that I think it is a big difference STAYING at you school for a 5th year vs. transferring into a school for a one and done.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:18 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:02 pm

Joe
Good stuff, bit of hike to North Hempstead Beach Park! Due north all the way. Was it called "Bar Beach" back then like it is now?

Joe
It was Hempstead Harbor Park and was a county park back then. Comparing what it was to what I see in a current satellite view the beach itself was farther north and was from the pier at the north end of the northern parking lot until just south of the area where the baseball field is now. The area where the beach is now didn’t exist, nor did the southern parking lot. The commute wasn’t that bad. I remember the administration put me and guards from Wantagh and Massapequa on the same work schedule so we could car pool. Strange things you remember- the deputy head lifeguard at the time was Rich Earl, a multi-time state wrestling champ from Valley Stream Central where his father happened to be his coach.

Post by 1766 »

jersey shore lax wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:32 pm
1766 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:14 pm

10 guys on the field at a time so every kid on the field is taking playing time away from someone, the point I was trying to make is that I think it is a big difference STAYING at you school for a 5th year vs. transferring into a school for a one and done.
Maybe, but the 6th year? That's more egregious than any of those scenarios. But again, as an athlete you have a direct say in how much you play. Be better. However many 6th years PSU has it's not really debatable they are all taking time from players who had to think they were gone.

But maybe that will make them train harder and be even more dedicated winning a spot. I don't fault any coach bringing in all the talent they can through every avenue they can. Uva just took Boyden who will most certainly take time from some very highly recruited players. That's Tiffany's job. He was right to bring him in even if some parents of some 5* don't like it. It's the player's job to earn time. It should be an expectation at every Big Ten and Acc school. Talent in some form is going to be brought in every year. Be better than those players.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

However many 6th years PSU has
One.
Just TJ Malone who had a medical red shirt in his pocket.
I’ll assume Malone is in the 2nd year of a two year grad program.

The other kid was a transfer in from St Lawrence.
Olderbarndog

Post by Olderbarndog »

Similar scenario (knee/ACL) & era. Used the medical red shirt and got my Master's in a year. Well worth it. Would never have gone further educationally without it.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Pretty much how most pay for a Masters degree. Some get scholarship money, some don’t. Grad programs are often pay by the credit hour and not as costly as undergrad tuition. Some programs are offered primarily at night allowing players to work 10-15 hours per week. 529s, parents and family contribute as well.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Laxbuck wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:36 pm

Pretty much how most pay for a Masters degree. Some get scholarship money, some don’t. Grad programs are often pay by the credit hour and not as costly as undergrad tuition. Some programs are offered primarily at night allowing players to work 10-15 hours per week. 529s, parents and family contribute as well.
All reasons for why I said this might be more appropriate for the aristocrat sport thread. For me in that era it wasn’t a choice. It was “Congrats on getting yourself a useful degree. Now go get your rump a good job.”
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per Dan Arestia twitter

I'm told that Cole Herbert, the Calvert Hall product who was at UNC, will be heading to Salisbury.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Too bad for the Tigers,
he was enrolled for classes at Towson.
coda

Post by coda »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”