Religion in America

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: Religion in America

Post by PizzaSnake »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:10 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:19 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:09 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:44 am A true Christian Church. The answer to the question, what would Jesus do?
This is not out of the norm, especially for the ECLA. I attend an LCMS Lutheran church, and we have congregants from the same group. ECLA is a bit more progressive, where the LCMSis a bit more conservative. The both equally have the same mission.
... I was raised Lutheran (mother's church) -- until I saw the light in high school. Father, Southern Baptist, went to church once a year - mother's church. Have no problem with this type of ministry (St. Mark's in the article), they do good for the most part. You can find it among most denominations, to varying degrees. For the most part the Christian churches have become more dogma, more money, more hypocrisy (in recent times much more political) -- less Jesus, much less love, less good in my experience. I don't think I am unique in this experience. It is the reason church attendance and membership is falling off the ledge.
Once the conservative churches decided to play politics, tell their congregants who and who not to vote for, and took positions on who gets to be loved and who doesn't, they lost generations of members. Mixing religion with politics is what the vaunted Framers knew was bad, and the Right in this country -- all the while avowing their deep respect for the Framers -- have done just that. You don't need a church to deliver love, charity ad hope to people.
“Once the conservative churches decided to play politics.”

Enter the political realm, lose the tax exempt status. Funny we never gear the “conservative” “constitutionalists” weigh in on this clear violation of the Establishment Clause.

Oh, the “scouting for boy scouts” Boy Scouts, the RC, and the SBU, among others, are, actually pedophiles, ephebophiles, and groomers…

Aren’t irony grand?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:12 pm I think by saying “No,” YA is saying that is not his position. YA, please?
Correct.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Some pretty sweet religiosity here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamKinzinge ... Trr9oqAAAA

Can we face this realistically? The Right has radicalized its followers without any effort to inculcate perspective, kindness, knowledge of the Constitution, or religious tolerance. This is on you folks adhering to todays GOP.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:31 pm Some pretty sweet religiosity here:

Can we face this realistically? The Right has radicalized its followers without any effort to inculcate perspective, kindness, knowledge of the Constitution, or religious tolerance. This is on you folks adhering to todays GOP.
Establishing religion in public schools will solve this problem.
“I wish you would!”
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:36 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:31 pm Some pretty sweet religiosity here:

Right; guns and religion in schools…. It’s like prepackaging “thoughts and prayers.” Smart TLD.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:51 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:36 pm

Right; guns and religion in schools…. It’s like prepackaging “thoughts and prayers.” Smart TLD.
We need more of this in public schools…..hand out Scimitars instead of guns!

“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:18 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:12 pm I think by saying “No,” YA is saying that is not his position. YA, please?
Correct.
Thank you, both seacoaster and youth...it didn't make sense.
We do have some nut jobs on here, but I don't think of you, youth, in that way at all.
Of course, some might say that of me...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:39 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:10 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:19 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:09 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:44 am A true Christian Church. The answer to the question, what would Jesus do?
This is not out of the norm, especially for the ECLA. I attend an LCMS Lutheran church, and we have congregants from the same group. ECLA is a bit more progressive, where the LCMSis a bit more conservative. The both equally have the same mission.
... I was raised Lutheran (mother's church) -- until I saw the light in high school. Father, Southern Baptist, went to church once a year - mother's church. Have no problem with this type of ministry (St. Mark's in the article), they do good for the most part. You can find it among most denominations, to varying degrees. For the most part the Christian churches have become more dogma, more money, more hypocrisy (in recent times much more political) -- less Jesus, much less love, less good in my experience. I don't think I am unique in this experience. It is the reason church attendance and membership is falling off the ledge.
Once the conservative churches decided to play politics, tell their congregants who and who not to vote for, and took positions on who gets to be loved and who doesn't, they lost generations of members. Mixing religion with politics is what the vaunted Framers knew was bad, and the Right in this country -- all the while avowing their deep respect for the Framers -- have done just that. You don't need a church to deliver love, charity ad hope to people.
in Bold: You most certainly do, more now than ever and more importantly when it was ignored, not properly taught and caught as a child.

Serious question, seacoaster...can you help me understand your comment underlined above, where have you seen this take place?
That said, this is what prompted the question...turning it around, why is there a question? or, have you not seen such for yourself...without a church involved? I'd have assumed, 'of course, yes'.

Confusing.

Happy Father's Day to all, BTW.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The US is not the only country turning its back on religion. Europe in general is far less interested in belonging to a church than is the US. Germany, which has been a holdout, has now reached the point where less than 50% (49.7%) of its population belongs to a church. Only a few years behind the US.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

The coming awakening of American religion. An interesting opinion article.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

"There’s no hate like Christian love."

PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:36 pm
"There’s no hate like Christian love."

Christian love? Is that like Southern birth control?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

The Christian "Love to Hate" Movement and American Democracy. The pollution that is right-wing faux Christianity:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/05/opin ... alism.html

"The shape of the Christian nationalist movement in the post-Roe future is coming into view, and it should terrify anyone concerned for the future of constitutional democracy.

The Supreme Court’s decision to rescind the reproductive rights that American women have enjoyed over the past half-century will not lead America’s homegrown religious authoritarians to retire from the culture wars and enjoy a sweet moment of triumph. On the contrary, movement leaders are already preparing for a new and more brutal phase of their assault on individual rights and democratic self-governance. Breaking American democracy isn’t an unintended side effect of Christian nationalism. It is the point of the project.

A good place to gauge the spirit and intentions of the movement that brought us the radical majority on the Supreme Court is the annual Road to Majority Policy Conference. At this year’s event, which took place last month in Nashville, three clear trends were in evidence. First, the rhetoric of violence among movement leaders appeared to have increased significantly from the already alarming levels I had observed in previous years. Second, the theology of dominionism — that is, the belief that “right-thinking” Christians have a biblically derived mandate to take control of all aspects of government and society — is now explicitly embraced. And third, the movement’s key strategists were giddy about the legal arsenal that the Supreme Court had laid at their feet as they anticipated the overturning of Roe v. Wade.

They intend to use that arsenal — together with additional weaponry collected in cases like Carson v. Makin, which requires state funding of religious schools if private, secular schools are also being funded; and Kennedy v. Bremerton School District, which licenses religious proselytizing by public school officials — to prosecute a war on individual rights, not merely in so-called red state legislatures but throughout the nation.

Although metaphors of battle are common enough in political gatherings, this year’s rhetoric appeared more violent, more graphic and more tightly focused on fellow Americans, rather than on geopolitical foes.

“The greatest danger to America is not our enemies from the outside, as powerful as they may be,” said former President Donald Trump, who delivered the keynote address at the event. “The greatest danger to America is the destruction of our nation from the people from within. And you know the people I’m talking about.”

Speakers at the conference vied to outdo one another in their denigration of the people that Mr. Trump was evidently talking about. Democrats, they said, are “evil,” “tyrannical” and “the enemy within,” engaged in “a war against the truth.”

“The backlash is coming,” warned Senator Rick Scott of Florida. “Just mount up and ride to the sounds of the guns, and they are all over this country. It is time to take this country back.”

Citing the fight against Nazi Germany during the Battle of the Bulge, Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson of North Carolina said, “We find ourselves in a pitched battle to literally save this nation.” Referencing a passage from Ephesians that Christian nationalists often use to signal their militancy, he added, “I don’t know about you, but I got my pack on, I got my boots on, I got my helmet on, I’ve got on the whole armor.”

It is not a stretch to link this rise in verbal aggression to the disinformation campaign to indoctrinate the Christian nationalist base in the lie that the 2020 election was stolen, along with what we’re learning from the Jan. 6 hearings. The movement is preparing “patriots” for the continuation of the assault on democracy in 2022 and 2024.

The intensification of verbal warfare is connected to shifts in the Christian nationalist movement’s messaging and outreach, which were very much in evidence at the Nashville conference. Seven Mountains Dominionism — the belief that “biblical” Christians should seek to dominate the seven key “mountains” or “molders” of American society, including the government — was once considered a fringe doctrine, even among representatives of the religious right. At last year’s Road to Majority conference, however, there was a breakout session devoted to the topic. This year, there were two sessions, and the once arcane language of the Seven Mountains creed was on multiple speakers’ lips.

The hunger for dominion that appears to motivate the leadership of the movement is the essential context for making sense of its strategy and intentions in the post-Roe world. The end of abortion rights is the beginning of a new and much more personal attack on individual rights.

And indeed it is personal. Much of the rhetoric on the right invokes visions of vigilante justice. This is about “good guys with guns” — or neighbors with good eavesdropping skills — heroically taking on the pernicious behavior of their fellow citizens. Among the principal battlefields will be the fallopian tubes and uteruses of women.

At a breakout session called “Life Is on the Line: What Does the Future of the Pro-Life Movement Look Like From Here?” Chelsey Youman, the Texas state director and national legislative adviser to Human Coalition Action, a Texas-based anti-abortion organization with a national strategic focus, described the connection between vigilantes and abortion rights.

Instead of the state regulating abortion providers, she explained, “You and me as citizens of Texas or this country or wherever we can pass this bill, can instead sue the abortion provider.” Mrs. Youman, as it happens, played a role in promoting the Texas law Senate Bill 8, which passed in May 2021 and allows private citizens to sue abortion providers and anyone who “aids or abets” an abortion. She was exultant over the likely passage of similar laws across the nation. “We have legislation ready to roll out for every single state you live in to protect life regardless of the Supreme Court, regardless of your circuit court.” To be sure, Christian nationalists are also pushing for a federal ban. But the struggle for the present will center on state-level enforcement mechanisms.

Movement leaders have also made it clear that the target of their ongoing offensive is not just in-state abortion providers, but what they call “abortion trafficking” — that is, women crossing state lines to access legal abortions, along with people who provide those women with services or support, like cars and taxis. Mrs. Youman hailed the development of a new “long-arm jurisdiction” bill that offers a mechanism for targeting out-of-state abortion providers. “It creates a wrongful death cause of action,” she said, “so we’re excited about that.”

The National Right to Life Committee’s model legislation for the post-Roe era includes broad criminal enforcement as well as civil enforcement mechanisms. “The model law also reaches well beyond the actual performance of an illegal abortion,” according to text on the organization’s website. It also includes “aiding or abetting an illegal abortion,” targeting people who provide “instructions over the telephone, the internet, or any other medium of communication.”

Mrs. Youman further made clear that Christian nationalists will target the pills used for medication abortions. “Our next big bill is going to make the Heartbeat Act look tame, you guys; they’re going to freak out!” she said. “It’s designed specifically to siphon off these illegal pills.”

Americans who stand outside the movement have consistently underestimated its radicalism. But this movement has been explicitly antidemocratic and anti-American for a long time.

It is also a mistake to imagine that Christian nationalism is a social movement arising from the grassroots and aiming to satisfy the real needs of its base. It isn’t. This is a leader-driven movement. The leaders set the agenda, and their main goals are power and access to public money. They aren’t serving the interests of their base; they are exploiting their base as a means of exploiting the rest of us.

Christian nationalism isn’t a route to the future. Its purpose is to hollow out democracy until nothing is left but a thin cover for rule by a supposedly right-thinking elite, bubble-wrapped in sanctimony and insulated from any real democratic check on its power."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Yup. Be prepared.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:53 am The Christian "Love to Hate" Movement and American Democracy. The pollution that is right-wing faux Christianity:

"The shape of the Christian nationalist movement in the post-Roe future is coming into view, and it should terrify anyone concerned for the future of constitutional democracy.

The Supreme Court’s decision to rescind the reproductive rights that American women have enjoyed over the past half-century will not lead America’s homegrown religious authoritarians to retire from the culture wars and enjoy a sweet moment of triumph. On the contrary, movement leaders are already preparing for a new and more brutal phase of their assault on individual rights and democratic self-governance. Breaking American democracy isn’t an unintended side effect of Christian nationalism. It is the point of the project.

A good place to gauge the spirit and intentions of the movement that brought us the radical majority on the Supreme Court is the annual Road to Majority Policy Conference. At this year’s event, which took place last month in Nashville, three clear trends were in evidence. First, the rhetoric of violence among movement leaders appeared to have increased significantly from the already alarming levels I had observed in previous years. Second, the theology of dominionism — that is, the belief that “right-thinking” Christians have a biblically derived mandate to take control of all aspects of government and society — is now explicitly embraced. And third, the movement’s key strategists were giddy about the legal arsenal that the Supreme Court had laid at their feet as they anticipated the overturning of Roe v. Wade.

They intend to use that arsenal — together with additional weaponry collected in cases like Carson v. Makin, which requires state funding of religious schools if private, secular schools are also being funded; and Kennedy v. Bremerton School District, which licenses religious proselytizing by public school officials — to prosecute a war on individual rights, not merely in so-called red state legislatures but throughout the nation.

Although metaphors of battle are common enough in political gatherings, this year’s rhetoric appeared more violent, more graphic and more tightly focused on fellow Americans, rather than on geopolitical foes.

“The greatest danger to America is not our enemies from the outside, as powerful as they may be,” said former President Donald Trump, who delivered the keynote address at the event. “The greatest danger to America is the destruction of our nation from the people from within. And you know the people I’m talking about.”

Speakers at the conference vied to outdo one another in their denigration of the people that Mr. Trump was evidently talking about. Democrats, they said, are “evil,” “tyrannical” and “the enemy within,” engaged in “a war against the truth.”

“The backlash is coming,” warned Senator Rick Scott of Florida. “Just mount up and ride to the sounds of the guns, and they are all over this country. It is time to take this country back.”

Citing the fight against Nazi Germany during the Battle of the Bulge, Lt. Gov. Mark Robinson of North Carolina said, “We find ourselves in a pitched battle to literally save this nation.” Referencing a passage from Ephesians that Christian nationalists often use to signal their militancy, he added, “I don’t know about you, but I got my pack on, I got my boots on, I got my helmet on, I’ve got on the whole armor.”

It is not a stretch to link this rise in verbal aggression to the disinformation campaign to indoctrinate the Christian nationalist base in the lie that the 2020 election was stolen, along with what we’re learning from the Jan. 6 hearings. The movement is preparing “patriots” for the continuation of the assault on democracy in 2022 and 2024.

The intensification of verbal warfare is connected to shifts in the Christian nationalist movement’s messaging and outreach, which were very much in evidence at the Nashville conference. Seven Mountains Dominionism — the belief that “biblical” Christians should seek to dominate the seven key “mountains” or “molders” of American society, including the government — was once considered a fringe doctrine, even among representatives of the religious right. At last year’s Road to Majority conference, however, there was a breakout session devoted to the topic. This year, there were two sessions, and the once arcane language of the Seven Mountains creed was on multiple speakers’ lips.

The hunger for dominion that appears to motivate the leadership of the movement is the essential context for making sense of its strategy and intentions in the post-Roe world. The end of abortion rights is the beginning of a new and much more personal attack on individual rights.

And indeed it is personal. Much of the rhetoric on the right invokes visions of vigilante justice. This is about “good guys with guns” — or neighbors with good eavesdropping skills — heroically taking on the pernicious behavior of their fellow citizens. Among the principal battlefields will be the fallopian tubes and uteruses of women.

At a breakout session called “Life Is on the Line: What Does the Future of the Pro-Life Movement Look Like From Here?” Chelsey Youman, the Texas state director and national legislative adviser to Human Coalition Action, a Texas-based anti-abortion organization with a national strategic focus, described the connection between vigilantes and abortion rights.

Instead of the state regulating abortion providers, she explained, “You and me as citizens of Texas or this country or wherever we can pass this bill, can instead sue the abortion provider.” Mrs. Youman, as it happens, played a role in promoting the Texas law Senate Bill 8, which passed in May 2021 and allows private citizens to sue abortion providers and anyone who “aids or abets” an abortion. She was exultant over the likely passage of similar laws across the nation. “We have legislation ready to roll out for every single state you live in to protect life regardless of the Supreme Court, regardless of your circuit court.” To be sure, Christian nationalists are also pushing for a federal ban. But the struggle for the present will center on state-level enforcement mechanisms.

Movement leaders have also made it clear that the target of their ongoing offensive is not just in-state abortion providers, but what they call “abortion trafficking” — that is, women crossing state lines to access legal abortions, along with people who provide those women with services or support, like cars and taxis. Mrs. Youman hailed the development of a new “long-arm jurisdiction” bill that offers a mechanism for targeting out-of-state abortion providers. “It creates a wrongful death cause of action,” she said, “so we’re excited about that.”

The National Right to Life Committee’s model legislation for the post-Roe era includes broad criminal enforcement as well as civil enforcement mechanisms. “The model law also reaches well beyond the actual performance of an illegal abortion,” according to text on the organization’s website. It also includes “aiding or abetting an illegal abortion,” targeting people who provide “instructions over the telephone, the internet, or any other medium of communication.”

Mrs. Youman further made clear that Christian nationalists will target the pills used for medication abortions. “Our next big bill is going to make the Heartbeat Act look tame, you guys; they’re going to freak out!” she said. “It’s designed specifically to siphon off these illegal pills.”

Americans who stand outside the movement have consistently underestimated its radicalism. But this movement has been explicitly antidemocratic and anti-American for a long time.

It is also a mistake to imagine that Christian nationalism is a social movement arising from the grassroots and aiming to satisfy the real needs of its base. It isn’t. This is a leader-driven movement. The leaders set the agenda, and their main goals are power and access to public money. They aren’t serving the interests of their base; they are exploiting their base as a means of exploiting the rest of us.

Christian nationalism isn’t a route to the future. Its purpose is to hollow out democracy until nothing is left but a thin cover for rule by a supposedly right-thinking elite, bubble-wrapped in sanctimony and insulated from any real democratic check on its power."
So it is clear you hate Christians. Your sentiments are what led to the extermination of the Jews by the Nazis. As a person of the Jewish faith you should be ashamed of yourself at the ignorance of what you write. You should know better what your hateful rhetoric leads to... extermination camps for all of those "bad" christians. I thought the "final solution" died with the Nazi regime, i guess that is not true...
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:33 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:53 am The Christian "Love to Hate" Movement and American Democracy. The pollution that is right-wing faux Christianity:

So it is clear you hate Christians. Your sentiments are what led to the extermination of the Jews by the Nazis. As a person of the Jewish faith you should be ashamed of yourself at the ignorance of what you write. You should know better what your hateful rhetoric leads to... extermination camps for all of those "bad" christians. I thought the "final solution" died with the Nazi regime, i guess that is not true...
Should I call someone to help you?

I don't hate Christians. I am not a Jew. I posted an opinion piece by a woman who follows closely an admittedly expanding group of "Christian" militants, who apparently seek an expansive form of regulatory control over women. Your response here is frankly a little bizarre.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... his slip is showing again. :roll:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

I am an elder (for about 25 years) in the PCUSA, and I find Dominionism to be quite scary and in fact, anti-Christian.

But Trumpism gets its biggest "base" boost from just the combination of White Nationalist Evangelicalism and Dominionism. And with the overturning of Roe, they smell blood in the water and want to make a set of big moves because they think they now own enough of the SC to create their theocracy.

I am not sure the SC is quite there yet, but I get where the Dominionists think they are...
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:59 am I am an elder (for about 25 years) in the PCUSA, and I find Dominionism to be quite scary and in fact, anti-Christian.

But Trumpism gets its biggest "base" boost from just the combination of White Nationalist Evangelicalism and Dominionism. And with the overturning of Roe, they smell blood in the water and want to make a set of big moves because they think they now own enough of the SC to create their theocracy.

I am not sure the SC is quite there yet, but I get where the Dominionists think they are...
... yup.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Granite megaliths at popular site in Georgia blowed up by Christians fearful of its cryptic inscriptions.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... SApp_Other

Return to “POLITICS”