Transfer Portal 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Transfer Portal 2024

Post by Wheels »

Jldlax wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:37 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:58 pm
Rolldins wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:12 am Damn, so much hostility towards Rutgers simply for trying a different strategy, you'd think they killed HopFan16's kid or something.

Can't we all get along? 1766, respect the loyalty but can we not stoke the fire?
Hostility? I’m offering some very mild criticism of a strategy that lots of people think is insane, and he simply cannot handle it. This is the transfer thread and Rutgers is adding a historic number of transfers this year, so it’s worthy of discussion.
1766 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:01 am
The proof is in the pudding. If there were real issues you'd see players leaving the program in big numbers. Last year there were 2 transfers, non of note. This year 4. One of note who didn't like his position. Right in line with many peer
Players leaving en masse is not the only evidence of an issue. Losing 5 of the last 6 games and the offense sputtering to a halt when one transfer gets injured because there isn’t anyone behind him on the depth chart who has been developed to a point where they’re ready to contribute…that’s also an issue. Bringing in 12 guys can compound that issue. If you can’t see that then it’s because you’re choosing not to IMO. Which is understandable. I wouldn’t want to see it either.

Melendez and Mazzone helped a ton but another reason Hopkins had a good year was the play of Matt Collison, Brooks English, and Carson Brown — freshmen whose development was not impeded by a dozen transfers. Rutgers didn’t get much at all from their underclassmen last season. Kulas had a good first half and then fell off a cliff down the stretch. The clock is ticking. They needed some juice down the stretch and there wasn’t one underclassman they could turn to. That’s not a problem? Good luck with that moving forward.

I do not understand the argument vs. Rutgers - yet is OK for the top teams to use the portal? Duke just picked up a solid grad transfer attackman despite the starting attack on the national finalist returning. VA picks up the Tufts A when they have so many 5 star attackmen you can’t keep track.

Rutgers is doing what needs to be done to try to stay competitive in top 3 conference. If the coaches lines up 11 transfers so be it.
Only because RU fans are upset that some of us have questioned the long-term feasibility of Brecht's strategy is this even be couched as "Rutgers vs Everyone." There's also a huge difference between Michigan bringing in 4 transfers and Rutgers and Jacksonville bringing in 11. The questions people are asking is how this affects Rutgers' high school recruiting, how this reflects player development or misses on recruits (thus the need to bring in over 20% of your roster as transfers in 1 year), and if this is a sustainable path forward.

My opinion, which is just that, is that this isn't a sustainable strategy. What fueled RU's QF and FF runs were a very good base of home-grown players supplemented by 3-4 elite transfers (i.e., the Kirsts). Last year for RU was an objective failure by their own standards under Brecht. The reload through the portal with a bunch of one-and-dones looks risky and makes me think recruiting post-Final 4 didn't really pick up; and that the players they have recruited aren't good enough to even develop into starters.

We're going to find out this year, right? Because the B1G is going to be loaded for bear. Hopkins will probably be the preseason favorite. The Terps will rebound to their Final 4 norm. Penn State just welcomed back 6, 6th year players and have the best goalie in the nation returning. Michigan has some losses, but they brought in 3 or 4 elite graduate transfers. That's going to be a very tough Top 4 for Rutgers and OSU to break into given that they're basically rebuilding their rosters on the fly through the portal after down 2023 seasons.

But let's not mistake people discussing strategies as everyone being against Rutgers.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:51 pm
Rolldins wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:12 am Damn, so much hostility towards Rutgers simply for trying a different strategy, you'd think they killed HopFan16's kid or something.

Can't we all get along? 1766, respect the loyalty but can we not stoke the fire?
Hostility? I’m offering some very mild criticism of a strategy that lots of people think is insane, and he simply cannot handle it. This is the transfer thread and Rutgers is adding a historic number of transfers this year, so it’s worthy of discussion.
The proof is in the pudding. If there were real issues you'd see players leaving the program in big numbers. Last year there were 2 transfers, non of note. This year 4. One of note who didn't like his position. Right in line with many peer
Players leaving en masse is not the only evidence of an issue. Losing 5 of the last 6 games and the offense sputtering to a halt when one transfer gets injured because there isn’t anyone behind him on the depth chart who has been developed to a point where they’re ready to contribute…that’s also an issue. Bringing in 12 guys can compound that issue. If you can’t see that then it’s because you’re choosing not to IMO. Which is understandable. I wouldn’t want to see it either.

Melendez and Mazzone helped a ton but another reason Hopkins had a good year was the play of Matt Collison, Brooks English, and Carson Brown — freshmen whose development was not impeded by a dozen transfers. Rutgers didn’t get much at all from their underclassmen last season. Kulas had a good first half and then fell off a cliff down the stretch. The clock is ticking. They needed some juice down the stretch and there wasn’t one underclassman they could turn to. That’s not a problem? Good luck with that moving forward.

I do not understand the argument vs. Rutgers - yet is OK for the top teams to use the portal? Duke just picked up a solid grad transfer attackman despite the starting attack on the national finalist returning. VA picks up the Tufts A when they have so many 5 star attackmen you can’t keep track.

Rutgers is doing what needs to be done to try to stay competitive in top 3 conference. If the coaches lines up 11 transfers so be it.
Only because RU fans are upset that some of us have questioned the long-term feasibility of Brecht's strategy is this even be couched as "Rutgers vs Everyone." There's also a huge difference between Michigan bringing in 4 transfers and Rutgers and Jacksonville bringing in 11. The questions people are asking is how this affects Rutgers' high school recruiting, how this reflects player development or misses on recruits (thus the need to bring in over 20% of your roster as transfers in 1 year), and if this is a sustainable path forward.

My opinion, which is just that, is that this isn't a sustainable strategy. What fueled RU's QF and FF runs were a very good base of home-grown players supplemented by 3-4 elite transfers (i.e., the Kirsts). Last year for RU was an objective failure by their own standards under Brecht. The reload through the portal with a bunch of one-and-dones looks risky and makes me think recruiting post-Final 4 didn't really pick up; and that the players they have recruited aren't good enough to even develop into starters.

We're going to find out this year, right? Because the B1G is going to be loaded for bear. Hopkins will probably be the preseason favorite. The Terps will rebound to their Final 4 norm. Penn State just welcomed back 6, 6th year players and have the best goalie in the nation returning. Michigan has some losses, but they brought in 3 or 4 elite graduate transfers. That's going to be a very tough Top 4 for Rutgers and OSU to break into given that they're basically rebuilding their rosters on the fly through the portal after down 2023 seasons.

But let's not mistake people discussing strategies as everyone being against Rutgers.
Word. I’m against petty fans but not the school.

And it will be RU and OSU at the bottom of the BigTen again in 24. I think PSU is actually the favorite over Hop but not dying on that hill.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Penn State is absolutely stacked.

TJ Malone is the one 6th year graduate school, using his medical red shirt - the remainder of announced returnees are 5th years,
as are the transfers.

PSU is definitely a B1G title and Final Four favorite.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:12 pm Penn State is absolutely stacked.

TJ Malone is the one 6th year graduate school, using his medical red shirt - the remainder of announced returnees are 5th years,
as are the transfers.

Defensive midfield and FOGO are what I'm looking at with PSU. No one knows how Posey will recover at close. It seems most B1G teams have work to do with their shorty groups, though.

Maryland's shorty group and LSMs are rebuilds. Even with Makar gone, their close defense and entire offense will be very good.

Hopkins might have fixed their goalie issue with Ierlan, and their shorty group could use some work. But their attack and midfields will be very good. Their FOGO crew is good enough.

Michigan's going to be good up the middle, but they did lose some pieces on offense.

Hard to know what to expect from OSU and RU because of their losses and additions.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Wheels wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:56 pm

as are the transfers.

Defensive midfield and FOGO are what I'm looking at with PSU. No one knows how Posey will recover at close. It seems most B1G teams have work to do with their shorty groups, though.

Maryland's shorty group and LSMs are rebuilds. Even with Makar gone, their close defense and entire offense will be very good.

Hopkins might have fixed their goalie issue with Ierlan, and their shorty group could use some work. But their attack and midfields will be very good. Their FOGO crew is good enough.

Michigan's going to be good up the middle, but they did lose some pieces on offense.

Hard to know what to expect from OSU and RU because of their losses and additions.
D mid they’re good.
They’ve got Haus, and I’d look also at the Drexel prior year’s Dmid transfer - he’s got the experience but needs more time in the weight room.

Mullins has to up his game, but at least he stabilized things at FO for them last year.

Grant Haus is a star at SSDM.

Post by 1766 »

No RU fans are upset. We love bringing in talent. There sure seems to be some other upset people though, especially that D3 guy who dive bombs literally every thread on this board because he has no life. Fortunately, he's an expert in everything. Just ask him.

Penn State with 6 6th years? That can't be good for development of players in the program, eh? I'm old enough to remember when Rutgers had just 1 of those and it was big issue with some.

Rutgers was 8-6 last year. Yes, not up to par which tells you how far the bar has ben raised. Not all are one and done btw. As stated in other post, Rutgers will have more 4* players recruited out of HS on it's 23 roster than at another time. So recruiting HS athletes has picked up, and clearly the portal has been very fruitful. Probably less of the FF impact and more how the players get cared for, culture, and style of play.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Says the biggest talker of them all with nothing to back anything up. It’s all fantasyland with tough guy wanna be talk behind it.

Love how taking a baby turd “d3 guy” while his homeboy is pulling through plenty of D3 players as upperclass transfers. This is exactly why folks are tired of it . It’s dumb, reductive, dishonest and pathetic.

Challenging others for having no life when posting at 12:15 on a Saturday morning, ie Friday night, is hilarious .
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

1766 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:18 am

No RU fans are upset. We love bringing in talent. There sure seems to be some other upset people though, especially that D3 guy who dive bombs literally every thread on this board because he has no life. Fortunately, he's an expert in everything. Just ask him.

Penn State with 6 6th years? That can't be good for development of players in the program, eh? I'm old enough to remember when Rutgers had just 1 of those and it was big issue with some.

Rutgers was 8-6 last year. Yes, not up to par which tells you how far the bar has ben raised. Not all are one and done btw. As stated in other post, Rutgers will have more 4* players recruited out of HS on it's 23 roster than at another time. So recruiting HS athletes has picked up, and clearly the portal has been very fruitful. Probably less of the FF impact and more how the players get cared for, culture, and style of play.
Now could you respond to the post that I direct quoted you? The statement you made about NIL and scholarships.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Wheels wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:56 pm

as are the transfers.

Schaller got a decent amount of time at LSM for Maryland last year so that's not much of a rebuild. The ssdm's to Rutgers are good on paper. What remains to be seen how they and the other transfers fit in.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Zawada to Duke.

Did he decide after watching O'Neil in San Diego?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

mdk01 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:49 am
Schaller got a decent amount of time at LSM for Maryland last year so that's not much of a rebuild. The ssdm's to Rutgers are good on paper. What remains to be seen how they and the other transfers fit in.
Schaller played close once Zappitello hurt his hand. Nick Redd had to pick back up the long pole to play LSM in the B1G Tournament and against Army in the NCAAs. McDonald returns and should bump up to fill Gerrpert's top spot. Schaller did come out of HS as an All-American LSM, so maybe the staff moves him back up top. Larkin redshirted last season and was thought to be the next in line at close.

The unknowns for Maryland in its shorty group are that after Redd, Eric Kolar, and the UVM transfer, you have Josh Coffman coming back after 2 ACL injuries (one on each knee) and the likely departure of Dante Trader. Redd and Kolar are good. The UVM transfer has great experience and should be solid. If Coffman returns to anywhere near his form from 2021, that's a good group of shorties.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:58 am
mdk01 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:49 am
Schaller played close once Zappitello hurt his hand. Nick Redd had to pick back up the long pole to play LSM in the B1G Tournament and against Army in the NCAAs. McDonald returns and should bump up to fill Gerrpert's top spot. Schaller did come out of HS as an All-American LSM, so maybe the staff moves him back up top. Larkin redshirted last season and was thought to be the next in line at close.

The unknowns for Maryland in its shorty group are that after Redd, Eric Kolar, and the UVM transfer, you have Josh Coffman coming back after 2 ACL injuries (one on each knee) and the likely departure of Dante Trader. Redd and Kolar are good. The UVM transfer has great experience and should be solid. If Coffman returns to anywhere near his form from 2021, that's a good group of shorties.
Whatever happened to Grant Hansen? Thought he’d be a solid SSDM for UMD but he just dropped off the roster.

Post by 1766 »

Wheels wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:34 am
1766 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:18 am

Now could you respond to the post that I direct quoted you? The statement you made about NIL and scholarships.

I'm not sure what you are asking that doesn't seem obvious. There are many schools across the spectrum of college sports that give players NIL deals in lieu of scholarship money to circumvent the scholarship limits. BYU football was ahead of the curve which is when the lightbulb went off.

So how is Penn St. 6 6 yrs. going to help the development of the players recruited there who expected to be on the field by now?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Penn State doesn’t have 6 sixth year players.

TJ Malone took a medical red shirt for his 6th year graduate year, possibly he’s doing a two year masters.

The St Lawrence transfer may be on his 6th year.

The kids coming in will see the field, I’m mostly thinking about Kyle Lehman and Liam Matthews here,

they’ll learn from a two time Final Four player, TJ Malone, what it takes to win the B1G and perform at a high level in the NCAAs.

Post by 1766 »

So you are saying Wheels got it wrong?
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:11 pm Penn State doesn’t have 6 sixth year players.

TJ Malone took a medical red shirt for his 6th year graduate year, possibly he’s doing a two year masters.

The kids coming in will see the field, I’m mostly thinking about Kyle Lehman and Liam Matthews here,

they’ll learn from a two time Final Four player, TJ Malone, what it takes to win the B1G and perform at a high level in the NCAAs.
Here we go again. PSU has 6 6 year (5 year) guys, that is OK and will not harm development of younger guys or team morale. But RU taking 11 transfers after graduating 20 is a crime. Please…

Post by 1766 »

Jldlax wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:26 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:11 pm Penn State doesn’t have 6 sixth year players.

Here we go again. PSU has 6 6 year (5 year) guys, that is OK and will not harm development of younger guys or team morale. But RU taking 11 transfers after graduating 20 is a crime. Please…
Syracuse taking 8 is great for the development of their young players though!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Jldlax wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:26 pm

That’s quite a reductive heuristic to the various comments about the composition and other attributes/idiosyncrasies to each situation to say what exactly?
Crease Crank

Post by Crease Crank »

Hoping to bring everyone together with this question. Can we all agree that the NCAA giving players an additional year of eligibility due to Covid was a terrible decision? It’s awful what this has done to the ‘20-‘22 classes. And I say this knowing that if I was given the extra year, I would have certainly taken it. Plus, it would have eliminated much of these aggressive debates.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Crease Crank wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:47 pm Hoping to bring everyone together with this question. Can we all agree that the NCAA giving players an additional year of eligibility due to Covid was a terrible decision? It’s awful what this has done to the ‘20-‘22 classes. And I say this knowing that if I was given the extra year, I would have certainly taken it. Plus, it would have eliminated much of these aggressive debates.
If you think one extra year for D1 is bad, D3 didn’t count 2020 or 2021. There are kids playing 6 years.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”