Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: Elon Musk (yet another authoritarian)

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:30 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:25 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:18 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:13 amSounds like he did go the legal route.....but you seems to know he didn't, how'd you know he didn't? Oh....that's right, MD knows everything, just ask him. ;)

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/160 ... gr%5Etweet
So posting that you're at a Taylor Swift concert is now not allowed because it reveals her real time location. :lol: Can't make this stuff up.

Legal route's gonna get laughed out of court considering the info that was posted. Thin-skinned bully who was booed at is now trying to bully and censor others. News at 11.
There is a reason that bad publicity is just as important as good publicity. I'm sure Elon is almost traumatized by all of the bad press. He probably is having a hard time sleeping at night. My guess is Musk does not give 2 figs about what anybody thinks about him. When your as wealthy as he is... why should you care?
Being a sociopath probably helps him muddle through as well.
Maybe he will wind up like Howard Hughes and he will become a recluse and they will find him wandering around the desert decades from now looking like a hobo.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:22 am
youthathletics wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:13 amSounds like he did go the legal route.....but you seems to know he didn't, how'd you know he didn't? Oh....that's right, MD knows everything, just ask him. ;)

So posting that you're at a Taylor Swift concert is now not allowed because it reveals her real time location. :lol: Can't make this stuff up.

Legal route's gonna get laughed out of court considering the info that was posted. Thin-skinned bully who was booed at is now trying to bully and censor others. News at 11.
There is a reason that bad publicity is just as important as good publicity. I'm sure Elon is almost traumatized by all of the bad press. He probably is having a hard time sleeping at night. My guess is Musk does not give 2 figs about what anybody thinks about him. When your as wealthy as he is... why should you care?
Maybe he will wind up like Howard Hughes and he will become a recluse and they will find him wandering around the desert decades from now looking like a hobo.
I hope it's the Karoo desert.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

This sudden focus on "free speech on Twitter" is amusing to say the least.

Elon is obviously a hypocrite, but so are all the people on here screaming about the curtailing of journalistic integrity!

Anyone complaining about Elon kicking people off for his definition of doxxing that wasn't screaming from the hilltops about Twitter kicking the NY Post off for posting about Hunter's laptop - should just sit this one out....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

HooDat - Rules in a knife fight?
Classic
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HooDat wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:29 am This sudden focus on "free speech on Twitter" is amusing to say the least.

Elon is obviously a hypocrite, but so are all the people on here screaming about the curtailing of journalistic integrity!

Anyone complaining about Elon kicking people off for his definition of doxxing that wasn't screaming from the hilltops about Twitter kicking the NY Post off for posting about Hunter's laptop - should just sit this one out....
You believe this is equivalent to running an unvetted story from a national publication which could influence the outcome of a Presidential Election?

You believe Comey announcing that more HRC emails were found on Anthony Weiner's laptop was the right call despite what policy called for?

Did you want Zelensky to announce an investigation of the Bidens was also underway just ahead of the election?

asking for a friend.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:00 am Also these new posters and others are ignoring that we're not busting him for his independent business choices. If he had been tight lipped and came in and made all these changes, cool.

We're dressing him down because he's been nothing but a a-hole hypocrite surrounding his actions.

Claiming he loves free speech and isn't going to ban people, then does a 180 and bans them. That's the issue at hand. We're just calling out the Bullscheisse. You can argue about whether posting publicly available airplane routes is "doxxing" or "threats" till you're blue in the face. I'm just gonna laugh at you because Musk was all about that freedom of speech and not censoring that info. And you all swallowed that hook, line, sinker, rod, reel and fisherman.

It's been amazing entertainment watching the contortions.

We also told you this was going to happen. :lol:
Yup. By all means, keep trying to defend this sh(t. We told you what he'd do as owner of the printing press.

He's doing the EXACT SAME THING the previous owners did. Which is Musk's right.

Which Musk is FREE TO DO!!!! Welcome to what REAL free speech looks like. The government nor the people can FORCE Musk to do what they want.

Welcome to America. It's a sad, sad state of affairs that folks don't understand this.....
njbill

Post by njbill »

If he does, I hope he at least cuts his fingernails.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HooDat wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:29 am This sudden focus on "free speech on Twitter" is amusing to say the least.

Ya got it backwards, and have missed the initial conversations. We're mocking Musk and FoxNation for whining about free speech and shutting down accounts.......and Musk, obviously, is behaving just like the last crew that owned twitter.

Because that's how it works!!!! You can't FORCE a company to publish something. And I HATE that Americans are so stupid in 2022 that you have to explain that to them.

Musk gets to run twitter any damn way he pleases. If you don't like it, don't use it. Welcome to America.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

a fan wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:44 am

Ya got it backwards, and have missed the initial conversations. We're mocking Musk and FoxNation for whining about free speech and shutting down accounts.......and Musk, obviously, is behaving just like the last crew that owned twitter.
Ding ding ding, we got a winner!

I don't give a rat's tuchus what Musk does with his folly purchase of a private social media platform. Censor away.

I just enjoy making fun of all the Musk fanboys (and Musk himself) who kept chirping about free speech and censorship before the purchase went through, and now he's axing and censoring accounts and stories and publicly available info all over the place.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:05 pm

I don't give a rat's tuchus what Musk does with his folly purchase of a private social media platform. Censor away.

I just enjoy making fun of all the Musk fanboys (and Musk himself) who kept chirping about free speech and censorship before the purchase went through, and now he's axing and censoring accounts and stories and publicly available info all over the place.
+1000
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:05 pm

His hypocrisy aside (which is deliciously risible), the larger issue is what impact his erratic behavior will have on Space X.

Personally, I'd nationalize then re-privatize if that is the only way to divest ourselves from his instability. Twatter is one thing, Space X is another. Tesla, meh.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:35 pmHis hypocrisy aside (which is deliciously risible), the larger issue is what impact his erratic behavior will have on Space X.

Personally, I'd nationalize then re-privatize if that is the only way to divest ourselves from his instability. Twatter is one thing, Space X is another. Tesla, meh.
He hasn't imploded SpaceX yet. If the rockets don't keep running on time, we'll see. There are a number of other companies already performing a lot of rocket work for NASA and new ones popping up. If that NASA money starts to dry up for SpaceX, a lot will happen in a short period of time there.

Tesla in the meantime has investors to worry about... The EV maker's 3rd-largest individual shareholder calls for a new CEO as the Twitter circus tests investor patience

Shares of Tesla are down 55% year-to-date and the stock has erased about $225 billion in market value since Musk closed his deal to buy Twitter in late October. That decline came at a time when the S&P 500 climbed more than 3%
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Because that's how it works!!!! You can't FORCE a company to publish something. And I HATE that Americans are so stupid in 2022 that you have to explain that to them.

Musk gets to run twitter any damn way he pleases. If you don't like it, don't use it. Welcome to America.
Sorry - not buying it. I believe that is YOUR motivation afan - you have a rather long track record of calling out hypocritical BS. But if Musk were out there shutting down what are perceived as conservative accounts there would be silence (or even cheers) on here from all the usual suspects....

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

njbill wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:44 am

I hope he also has a valid will.
Bob Ross:
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:11 pm

and that I am in it! :D

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HooDat wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:39 pm

Sorry - not buying it. I believe that is YOUR motivation afan - you have a rather long track record of calling out hypocritical BS. But if Musk were out there shutting down what are perceived as conservative accounts there would be silence (or even cheers) on here from all the usual suspects....
Who are these "usual suspects" ?

We have a couple of partisan sorts from the left who might knee jerk that way, but the big bulk of posters on here are pretty darn middle of the road.

It's true that most of us see social media, and the algorithms that automatically amplify the 'speech' that causes the most anger or fear or jealousy, regardless of accuracy, regardless of harm, as a serious problem with this fast moving, unregulated technology. It's a brand new beast, with quite different dynamics and effects than we've previously addressed...and most of us think that's a big problem.

And it's also true that one of the phenomenons that has happened with social media has been the rapid and pervasive spread of disinformation and misinformation, for grift, whether for advertising eyeballs or selling a product or selling an influence, whether political or other. And, yeah, a lot of the stuff got used by 'right-wing' players in the political ecosphere, including amplification by foreign actors. Some of that from the hard-left too.

We should be concerned about that.

But here's this mega billionaire, who happens to have some pretty darn hard right, bigoted views himself and really, really didn't like having entities like the SEC telling him he couldn't talk about his company's stock...and he decides his "free speech" is being infringed, and so is a whole bunch of other guys like him who want to say whatever they want, whenever they want, no matter the damage to others, and with impunity...so, he says he's going to reform Twitter by buying it and turning into a "free speech" platform; and the right wingers and the grifters go berserk with joy that they will no longer get moderated if they breach terms of service (they knew he was a right-winger himself)...but instead, he decides he's going to censor speech he doesn't like, F-the free speech concept...it's his prerogative, but hypocrisy through the roof.

But, oops...he forgot that the reason why Twitter, like other for profit endeavors, had tried to keep a lid on the worst such, whether from left or right, was that they wanted to attract advertisers...but oops, advertisers don't want their brand associated with hate speech and misinformation grifts...so, he tries to charge the subscribers...he should have just bought "Truth Social"...
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

HooDat wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:12 pm

and that I am in it! :D
There could come a time when Space X finds a final resting place next to the spruce goose. There would be some poetic justice there.
Bob Ross:
njbill

Post by njbill »

No, no. If his will is no good, that will be more work for lawyers. :)
rosinheel

Post by rosinheel »

This release tonight is unreal. If anyone is okay with the fbi working like this, god help you.

78C4F0B2-5903-4BBA-A47E-3BCBC9B96BDE.jpeg
78C4F0B2-5903-4BBA-A47E-3BCBC9B96BDE.jpeg (218.34 KiB) Viewed 446 times
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

"Coming up: Investor activism

The combination of slumping stock, a distracted CEO and concerns about the Tesla brand being tarnished are cooking up the potential for investor activism, Ives noted.

KoGuan and others are already urging Tesla to initiate a share buyback, which is when companies repurchase their own shares on the open market. Because it reduces the number of publicly traded shares, such a step can help shore up or even boost a company's stock price.

"We believe its getting to the point that more activism and growing investor frustration will force the board of Tesla to confront some of these issues head-on in the near term," Ives wrote in a Thursday research note."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-musk- ... 00-10aaa3b

Doesn't Ellie know rule one of capitalism?

Return to “POLITICS”