2022 Midterms

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: 2022 Midterms

Post by jhu72 »

DMac wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:02 pm Not a gambler, to say nothing of your ridiculous response.
Wouldn't be afraid to make a wager on a teen girl changing
her mind though.
... mine was never going to have kids, wanted nothing to do with them when in HS and college, now with her older brother's daughter and a guy she might marry, she has changed her mind. She is allowing for the possibility. Go figure. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:36 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:02 pm Not a gambler, to say nothing of your ridiculous response.
her mind though.
I thought it was a kinda funny response.

But yeah, I wouldn't bet against a kid changing his/her mind later. ;)

But I understand the concern about the future of society...there are definitely some dystopian scenarios, and there will indeed be some inflection points coming...the question will be how we address, adjust, and adapt.

But I'd tend to 'bet' on evolutionary instincts both on a micro level and on the macro level.
+1
DMac

Post by DMac »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:34 pm
her mind though.
... mine was never going to have kids, wanted nothing to do with them when in HS and college, now with her older brother's daughter and a guy she might marry, she has changed her mind. She is allowing for the possibility. Go figure. :lol:
Friend's 31 year old daughter was one of those too.
Just had a baby on July 22nd. The metamorphosis
of girls doesn't end at 18-19-20.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DMac wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:43 pm
her mind though.
... with ours it had hardly begun by the age of 20.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

lagerhead wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:23 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:11 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:06 am
jhu72 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:10 am
DMac wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:02 pm Given that the sheepskin is the ticket to riches, why the need for student loan forgiveness?
I don't think you'd have to travel too far out of your circle to find more than one college grad
not making six figures. Further, six figures is a far cry from what it once was. Looked at the
price of cars lately? Houses, rent, health insurance?
... For those who belong in college, it can be a ticket to riches, for those who don't it is a ticket to bankruptcy in many cases. As a society we have way too many people in college that don't belong anywhere near a traditional college campus. Mommy and daddy are the problem. The bankers and all the middlemen are more than happy to take advantage of the situation. It also negatively impacts the educational mission of colleges. Sorry if that sounds elitist, but it is the truth.

Trade schools are the answer, but they are not good enough for mommy and daddy.
Yeah except you forgot that the educational community benefits more than the bankers from this system. Let’s move off the easy target because you could kill every banker (I’m going down zombieland style if you come after me) because solving the problem means rooting out all the perverse incentives and I see a a** ton (that’s a scientific term) within the higher Ed system. Look at Columbia recently and temples online MBA program in the last few years. The way you describe it is as if they haven’t gladly fed off this system but rather everyone in high ed is victims of this. Maybe not your intent but it’s always the bankers and yet every time they address the issues with the bankers the problem still exists then what?

I don’t know exactly how it works but one of my best friends father ran the graduate psych dept at SUNY Binghamton, was a good person, but somehow made money of the grants he received. Or filtered into his personal living heavily. Got the sense this isn’t uncommon.

All the jobs that maybe shouldn’t exist for mediocre PhDs. The ones who filter into micro issues but aren’t really advancing research just half a**ing teaching and half a**ing publishing.
College faculty ain’t getting rich. Administration is a different story.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/11/opin ... llege.html
Listening to my wife have a review session with biology students. She often says college is so expensive that she will do all she can to help kids be successful.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

her mind though.
Just remind her it’s all gravy when your auntie or godmother vs having no choice to get up at night for crying, pooping and feeding.

To work, my son I just put to bed 40 min ago or so was saying how he didn’t feel like brushing his teeth and generally being, to put it kindly, intransigent. I responded “there’s a bunch of times I don’t feel like feeding you but you still have a full belly at night and take clean dumps in the morning. Don’t you?” He argued but brushed his teeth then. And told me he wasn’t going to flush next time he takes a dump. But that’s not my problem, I sleep on another floor.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:07 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:43 pm
her mind though.
... with ours it had hardly begun by the age of 20.
You’re a lambskin guy aren’t you.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

In a brilliant campaign stunt NYS Governor Jochul suddenly wants to use perfect timing to hand out millions of dollars to combat gun violence in our state. I guess she should. She rabidly supported allowing 1000s of dangerous criminals be released from prison. How could she possibly think these reprobates wouldn't find illegal weapons to do what they have done most of their lives?Governor Jochul has her only debate with Lee Zeldin tonight. I'm wondering how she will deal with this thorny issue when she is called on it? FTR, Governor Jochul was dragged kicking and screaming into this debate. Should be very interesting to see how Governor Jochul defends her positions. She had a sudden awakening about 2 weeks ago. She is now a HUGE advocate for being tough on crime.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DMac

Post by DMac »

Put me on record as agreeing with Sharpton and Jemele.....a very rare occasion.
"What is scary is that people are buying into it,"
Indeed it is, and it boggles my mind how commonplace this is anymore.
Very disappointed in many of my fellow citizens.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

DMac wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:11 am Put me on record as agreeing with Sharpton and Jemele.....a very rare occasion.
This is the quote for me in that article DMac: "I don't think they vetted him or cared: 'Put a Black guy, there's a Black guy, here's my guy.' And as he began to become exposed … it doesn't matter: 'We're throwing a Black guy in the ring with a Black guy.'

I mean, what's the difference, right?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:23 am
DMac wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:11 am Put me on record as agreeing with Sharpton and Jemele.....a very rare occasion.
This is the quote for me in that article DMac: "I don't think they vetted him or cared: 'Put a Black guy, there's a Black guy, here's my guy.' And as he began to become exposed … it doesn't matter: 'We're throwing a Black guy in the ring with a Black guy.'

Way back in the day a black guy named Ali was thrown into the ring with some guy named Foreman. Was one of them a better black guy than the other? On that night the best man won. The people of Georgia will decide in 2 weeks. With all the talk about "voter supression " the early voting results show record numbers of Georgians having already voted. May the best candidate win.
Bob Ross:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup. Just really sad.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Armed people camped out by voter drop boxes in AZ, intimidating voters.

All you dumbasses, by all means, keep playing with this fire, and keep pretending like you're too fu*king stupid to understand that these games will spin out of control.

And shocker, they're all white men. It's almost as if this has NOTHING to do with voting. :roll:
Last edited by a fan on Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:34 am

Way back in the day a black guy named Ali was thrown into the ring with some guy named Foreman. Was one of them a better black guy than the other? On that night the best man won. The people of Georgia will decide in 2 weeks. With all the talk about "voter supression " the early voting results show record numbers of Georgians having already voted. May the best candidate win.
Thanks for this curious bit of point missing, again.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:03 pm Armed people camped out by voter drop boxes in AZ, intimidating voters.

All you dumbasses, by all means, keep playing with this fire, and keep pretending like you're too fu*king stupid to understand that these games can't possibly spin out of control.

And shocker, they're all white men. It's almost as if this has NOTHING to do with voting. :roll:
IDK, is this an extension of those dudes in Philly standing outside a polling station with clubs? These people should be removed from the area of the drop boxes. Did anybody notify law enforcement?? You are correct, this is playing with fire.
Bob Ross:
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

a fan wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:03 pm Armed people camped out by voter drop boxes in AZ, intimidating voters.

All you dumbasses, by all means, keep playing with this fire, and keep pretending like you're too fu*king stupid to understand that these games can't possibly spin out of control.

If you don't denounce it, you are complicit. Period.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:13 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:34 am

Thanks for this curious bit of point missing, again.
What point is there to miss counselor?? I understand the point. My reading comprehension is 20/20. The fact does not change one iota counselor. One of these 2 black men will be the next US Senator from the state of Georgia. The people of the state of Georgia will make their decision. If you paid attention to detail, that is what I have been saying all along. FTR, to assuage all of the complaints about voter suppression the early voting numbers are off of the charts. I think it is a fair assumption to say this will be a fair election in the state of Georgia. Do you disagree that it will be a fair and honest election??
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

UUUUUUU

GGGGGGGG

AAAAAAA

dont underestimate the power of unathletic southerners who care about football more than their children. And they aint tech fans around the state by and large.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:13 pm

If you don't denounce it, you are complicit. Period.
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/rub ... n-florida/

Rubio Supporter Savagely Beaten While Canvassing in Florida

By ARI BLAFF, October 24, 2022 2:29 PM

A man wearing a t-shirt supporting Senator Marco Rubio was brutally attacked in Hialeah, Fla., Sunday night because he was in the neighborhood canvassing on behalf of a Republican, the senator tweeted Monday.

According to Rubio’s tweet, the man suffered internal bleeding as well as a broken jaw and “will need reconstructive surgery.” The unidentified man was also reportedly wearing a hat supportive of Florida governor Ron DeSantis.

The local police department confirmed Monday afternoon that an unnamed 27-year-old victim was assaulted while handing out fliers but, according to police, there was only one attacker.

The victim was told by his attacker not to distribute the flyers. When he tried to walk away, the attacker, Javier Lopez, 25, followed him, and began striking him repeatedly in the head and face, Hialeah Sgt. Jose Torres noted to the Miami Herald in an email.

Rubio addressed the attack at a Monday rally held to mark the start of early voting in Florida.

“Sadly, we get the news and we’re still waiting for details. It’s always important to have details. We’re not like these other people that always jump to conclusions, but we know this: Someone wearing a Rubio T-Shirt and a DeSantis hat was walking in a neighborhood not far from here yesterday when four individuals assaulted him, broke his nose, broke his jaw,” Rubio told the crowd.

The comedienne Kathy Griffin responded to Rubio’s tweet by saying: “You have lied too much over the years for us to believe you now.” In 2017, Griffin participated in a photo shoot with a beheaded and bloodied mannequin of Trump.

Since the Supreme Court’s summer ruling overturning Roe v. Wade, conservative people and organizations across the country have been repeatedly targeted for vandalism, harassment, and outright assault.

Despite nearly 50 incidents of vandalism, including firebombings, at pregnancy centers across the country since June, the FBI has not arrested a single perpetrator.

The FBI announced it planned to treat such violence “as acts of domestic violent terrorism” following the spate of attacks and the urgings of over 124 Republican Members of Congress.

Return to “POLITICS”