Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by Brooklyn »

Doug Grina, Minneapolis breakfast institution to retire:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... 325d&ei=62

I've had breakfast there. Food is good but it gets awfully crowded. Good to see that the place is still around because so much of the area has changed in recent years.

Aside from the weather, it's the biggest news today in Lake Wobegone.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

That is awesome.....love that he says "I look forward to coming to work everyday", that, and he practices sarcasm.....my kinda guy.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:27 pm Doug Grina, Minneapolis breakfast institution to retire:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... 325d&ei=62

I've had breakfast there. Food is good but it gets awfully crowded. Good to see that the place is still around because so much of the area has changed in recent years.

Aside from the weather, it's the biggest news today in Lake Wobegone.
That’s one well worn griddle and very modest in size too.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Busy, busy, busy. Been there myself so I know first hand. Guy draws a large clientele every day. Very charismatic. I hope he has a great retirement.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:56 pm

Busy, busy, busy. Been there myself so I know first hand. Guy draws a large clientele every day. Very charismatic. I hope he has a great retirement.
Is it true that as a customer that you are asked to move down the countertop multiple times during a meal? If so, that's really cool!

Joe
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:56 am
Brooklyn wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:56 pm

Is it true that as a customer that you are asked to move down the countertop multiple times during a meal? If so, that's really cool!

Joe

Move? Nope, can't honestly say I recall seeing that. But folks are thoughtful and will eat their meals with minimal chatter so that the next customers can come in and eat. But yes, it is a cool place to have your brekkie.

ardilla secreta

Here you go dmac.
Are you going for this discounted chocolate banana?
Attachments
71261471086__C0AD32D3-8EB3-4AD6-9FFE-95E02A53372D.jpeg
71261471086__C0AD32D3-8EB3-4AD6-9FFE-95E02A53372D.jpeg (161.1 KiB) Viewed 693 times
DMac

Post by DMac »

Right up my alley, I'd have to see that in person, doesn't look too appealing in a picture but maybe better in person.
Not seeing that as a huge great bargain though, bananas are crazy cheap.
Have you seen this thing? I think it's pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcloX3-vGJQ&t=66s
ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:07 am Right up my alley, I'd have to see that in person, doesn't look too appealing in a picture but maybe better in person.
Not seeing that as a huge great bargain though, bananas are crazy cheap.
Have you seen this thing? I think it's pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcloX3-vGJQ&t=66s
I’d pass on that one, lol
A friend sent that to me from Chicago
ardilla secreta

The Summer of BLTs and Sweet Corn
At least twice a week it’s BLTs and local corn for dinner. Tomatoes have been good this year and especially the corn. Been getting mine from a Niagara County farmer who’s been using a different variety. His Butter & Sugar corn variety has been an home run all summer. Small, crunchy kernels and super sweet.

Twiggy likes the BLTs too, hold the L & T.
IMG_2566.jpeg
IMG_2566.jpeg (105.3 KiB) Viewed 604 times
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Looks amazing. BLT is my favorite, absolutely love them. My preference is on thinly slice rye bread. a dash of oldbay on the corn is tasty.

Pro tip: Not sure if you've ever tried it, but eating corn raw and/or immediately after husking it just hits on another level, the sweetness and juices just pop from the kernals.....an no its not bad for you, actually better.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Tough to beat a BLT, prefer mine on white bread (good bread) not toasted.
Never had raw corn, gonna have to give it a try although I do very much
like the melted butter and salt (little heavy on the salt too).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PozeAOPmRc
ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:33 pm Tough to beat a BLT, prefer mine on white bread (good bread) not toasted.
Never heard of BLT on rye.

I tried some different rolls this year, like brioche, but good toasted white bread (Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse white) I find works best. The raspy surface of toast helps keep the tomatoes from sliding off and from falling apart.

On corn, I remember in my childhood our family coming home late from a trip with some corn from my paw paws garden. Mom boils up some corn for a late meal, but we’re out of butter. No problem, we just used rendered bacon fat from the griddle. Mmm mmm, bacony corn. It was actually quite good.

On corn 1.b, I now steam my corn. 5 minutes. Much better than boiling.

The best way to steam corn? Insult it’s mother!
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ardilla secreta wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:48 am The Summer of BLTs and Sweet Corn

IMG_2566.jpeg

I wonder if Kitty was longing for the bacon or for the brew (?).

DMac

Post by DMac »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:08 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:33 pm Tough to beat a BLT, prefer mine on white bread (good bread) not toasted.

I tried some different rolls this year, like brioche, but good toasted white bread (Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse white) I find works best. The raspy surface of toast helps keep the tomatoes from sliding off and from falling apart.

On corn, I remember in my childhood our family coming home late from a trip with some corn from my paw paws garden. Mom boils up some corn for a late meal, but we’re out of butter. No problem, we just used rendered bacon fat from the griddle. Mmm mmm, bacony corn. It was actually quite good.

No way that corn isn't good with bacon fat on it, never had it that way but it sounds good.
Price Chopper bakery around here makes really good bread. I hadn't ever heard of it but they
make a Peasants Bread, big loaf on sale for $2.99 every couple of weeks or so, it's outstanding
for BLTs....fresh tomato from the garden is a real difference maker too.
Corn is absolutely outstanding when soaked in a bucket of water for a couple of hours then tossed
on a fire. Cooks pretty quickly, ya gotta figure that's steamed. Gotta say that's the best way
I've had corn.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:16 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:08 pm

No way that corn isn't good with bacon fat on it, never had it that way but it sounds good.
Price Chopper bakery around here makes really good bread. I hadn't ever heard of it but they
make a Peasants Bread, big loaf on sale for $2.99 every couple of weeks or so, it's outstanding
for BLTs....fresh tomato from the garden is a real difference maker too.
Corn is absolutely outstanding when soaked in a bucket of water for a couple of hours then tossed
on a fire. Cooks pretty quickly, ya gotta figure that's steamed. Gotta say that's the best way
I've had corn.
You can also husk it, season it to your liking and roast it in foil in the oven, and if you want another level....broil it for quick browning.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

New subject, my new wok came on the Amazon truck yesterday. Thirty bucks, feels worth it, I like it.
Heated it up and tested it out, works like a champ. Pork (country ribs). chicken thighs, veggies, all
the right seasonings.
Very tasty.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

hell yea.....cant go wrong with stir-fry.
~Livy
ardilla secreta

Woks are great. Been using them for years, decades even. Hopefully you got the flat bottom one for your electric range.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Big fan of project smoke. Steve Raichlen is obnoxious and could use less hair spray. I do love his cooking. How many of you out there own 50 different grills and smokers??? :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”