Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by jrn19 »

They're not going to kick Hopkins out of the league. Not sure how this keeps coming up but it's not happening
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Coach Milliman doing some winning as the HC of the Haudenosaunee lax team at the 2022 World Games.

This gig could help his recruiting efforts … or distract from them.

He has stated that he hopes to learn from this experience as head coach of the Haudenosaunee.

Hope so ….

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:43 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:52 am Crawley probably has the tougher job, although the expectations and standards are so high at Maryland right now it's going to be tough to do better for their new guy.

The athletic has some updates speculating on the future of the big ten. Notre Dame is the first and most important domino to fall. It sounds like North Carolina and Virginia could potentially be in play after. They don't see a Duke fit, given that this is all football driven.

For scheduling if Notre Dame is added to the big ten that would mean lopping off an opponent-Georgetown? and a revision to the conference tournament where maybe the 7th place team isn't included.
If ND come in, then Hopkins becomes an appendix, with all the foreseeable consequences.
I tend to agree with this. Hopkins’ position in the league is the most tenuous because … the school is not actually in the league, only it’s lacrosse team. If ND goes all in on the BIG 10, the league will slap the blue jays on their arse and wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:22 pm
Hail to the Victors wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:43 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:52 am Crawley probably has the tougher job, although the expectations and standards are so high at Maryland right now it's going to be tough to do better for their new guy.

The athletic has some updates speculating on the future of the big ten. Notre Dame is the first and most important domino to fall. It sounds like North Carolina and Virginia could potentially be in play after. They don't see a Duke fit, given that this is all football driven.

For scheduling if Notre Dame is added to the big ten that would mean lopping off an opponent-Georgetown? and a revision to the conference tournament where maybe the 7th place team isn't included.
If ND come in, then Hopkins becomes an appendix, with all the foreseeable consequences.
I tend to agree with this. Hopkins’ position in the league is the most tenuous because … the school is not actually in the league, only it’s lacrosse team. If ND goes all in on the BIG 10, the league will slap the blue jays on their arse and wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.
Why would they do that. There's no need to.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Heh. Two Michigan fans hoping the B1G for whatever reason doesn't want more than 6 teams because that means they can keep the current setup in which the Wolverines auto-qualify for the playoffs despite not winning any conference games. Must be nice to go 0-5 every year and still make the conference tourney! Wouldn't want to jeopardize that arrangement you've got going. With 7+ teams who knows how they'd set things up. I'll admit, this realignment stuff has been unpredictable and no one really knows what's going to happen but as stated in the other thread, B1G has several compelling reasons to want to keep Hopkins in the conference longterm and very few if any to actively push them out.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

where it gets interesting is if unc and uva come into the big ten and effectively nuke acc lacrosse.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

You only really need 1 more team to leave the ACC to nuke ACC lacrosse. Not sure why you’d operate a 4 team “conference.” They did it before but that was back when Syracuse and Hopkins were independent and before many conferences had AQ’s. Landscape has changed. We saw this year that them playing 6 conf games or whatever without a tournament hurt them for the tournament; with a 4 team setup you’d have to play either 3 or 6 and neither makes much sense

It’s not a setup built to last the way things are going
viho

Post by viho »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:11 pm Coach Milliman doing some winning as the HC of the Haudenosaunee lax team at the 2022 World Games.

He has stated that he hopes to learn from this experience as head coach of the Haudenosaunee.

Hope so ….

Lost to Japan. Beat Australia in the 5th place game.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

viho wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:10 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:11 pm Coach Milliman doing some winning as the HC of the Haudenosaunee lax team at the 2022 World Games.

Hope so ….

Lost to Japan. Beat Australia in the 5th place game.
Thanks for the update. At least it’s better than 6th place!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:55 pm They're not going to kick Hopkins out of the league. Not sure how this keeps coming up but it's not happening
I could see it happening.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Turnandrake wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:16 am
jrn19 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:55 pm They're not going to kick Hopkins out of the league. Not sure how this keeps coming up but it's not happening
good analysis!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Turnandrake wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:16 am
well you seeing it has nothing to do with whether it happens so
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If Hops place in the Big Ten is permanent then all the discussions about NCAA reorg is irrelevant and this sport is irrelevant. There’s a conundrum for Hop fans who want this conference to bestow some value beyond the AQ to them but if the conference can’t be bothered then what’s that say about it’s important at all?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Seems a non sequitur

Post by 1766 »

Silly season.

Why would the Big Ten kick Hopkins out?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

UNC and UVA are probably begging to get in. You know the SEC and Clemson want each other and probably Florida State and Miami too. Duke and Cuse have to begin to start to see themselves in the big east.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Hopkins raises the Big Ten's Academic profile significantly.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:02 am Hopkins raises the Big Ten's Academic profile significantly.
the only place we are acknowledged on their website is in the lacrosse standings. They specifically go out of their way to not include us anywhere because notre dame has the same affiliate status but for hockey and the universities feel like any elevation of notre dame would be detrimental to their programs.

I don't think anyone there cares about our academics. Look at who they've added since 1992. Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers, Nebraska, UCLA, USC. That's not Virginia, Vanderbilt, Duke, Stanford, Rice. I think there was talk up until the Northwestern Rose Bowl Bid about dropping the school dropping into d3 where frankly it fits better w/washu et al.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:24 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:02 am Hopkins raises the Big Ten's Academic profile significantly.
the only place we are acknowledged on their website is in the lacrosse standings. They specifically go out of their way to not include us anywhere because notre dame has the same affiliate status but for hockey and the universities feel like any elevation of notre dame would be detrimental to their programs.
"They specifically go out of their way to not include us anywhere" — what are they supposed to do, list us on the football page? BTW, that's not even true. I went to their website and in under 10 seconds saw that Hopkins gets a nice big mention in the "About the Conference" page documenting the history of the B1G. Regardless, why would we appear anywhere other than the lacrosse section? You had a string of not-so-terrible posts for awhile but this one really ruined the streak.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

1766 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:26 pm Silly season.

Why would the Big Ten kick Hopkins out?
The Big 10 is operating lacrosse on an island. There is no reason to think that they would change that. Unless those ACC teams join.

I think the school to watch is Notre Dame. They are the only other school that is an associate member of the B1G ... for Hockey.

So If ND joins as full time B1G members, there would be no need for associate members in any sports. That could be an issue for Hopkins. Otherwise, they will probably be ok.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”