Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:46 am Don’t know any details about Bernhardt but it sounds like Maryland knew he was coming back during the fall. So he just registered for spring classes. Doubt he going for a second degree.

Aitken is probably something similar to Bernhardt. Both are in good standing with their schools and had just graduated.

TD is different he going to completely different school so is different. Now Denver has a different semester system. Think they do three semesters system
I think they call that trimesters.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Bernhardt and Aitken make sense to me. Bernhardt to my knowledge never enrolled at another school. Either he graduated last year and maybe he’s doing some post grad classes right now; or maybe he didn’t graduate last year and is finishing this year. Aitken is a little different because he did enroll at Villanova but he was a grad transfer so maybe UVA is letting him continue his graduate classes.

Ierlan is weird as heck though. He never graduated. So he’s finishing a Yale degree; that he started at Albany; at Denver? He’s gonna get a Yale degree while playing lacrosse at Denver this year? How on earth does any of that work?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I don’t see how,

if TD doesn’t want to wait, then he’ll have to transfer
his credits to Denver and finish up with a degree from
Denver, I would think,

if you’re going to play in the market,
there’s no free lunch.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Adding TD right as your season starts seems like a slippery slope to just decide to start renting players for a few months. At least the other 2 Yale guys have been grinding since September. Maybe Coach T just knows he’s retiring and wants to go out on top.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:28 pm Bernhardt and Aitken make sense to me. Bernhardt to my knowledge never enrolled at another school. Either he graduated last year and maybe he’s doing some post grad classes right now; or maybe he didn’t graduate last year and is finishing this year. Aitken is a little different because he did enroll at Villanova but he was a grad transfer so maybe UVA is letting him continue his graduate classes.

Ierlan is weird as heck though. He never graduated. So he’s finishing a Yale degree; that he started at Albany; at Denver? He’s gonna get a Yale degree while playing lacrosse at Denver this year? How on earth does any of that work?
My guess is it’s Covid related. Another thread mentioned some Ivies cancelling their 2021 lacrosse seasons. Hope that’s not true, but this transfer makes me wonder.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

bauer4429 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:03 am
jrn19 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:28 pm Bernhardt and Aitken make sense to me. Bernhardt to my knowledge never enrolled at another school. Either he graduated last year and maybe he’s doing some post grad classes right now; or maybe he didn’t graduate last year and is finishing this year. Aitken is a little different because he did enroll at Villanova but he was a grad transfer so maybe UVA is letting him continue his graduate classes.

My guess is it’s Covid related. Another thread mentioned some Ivies cancelling their 2021 lacrosse seasons. Hope that’s not true, but this transfer makes me wonder.
He’s definitely transferring because the Ivy isn’t going to play. I think that’s pretty obvious. My question isn’t that; it’s how you can finish a Yale degree by taking classes at Denver
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:52 am

He’s definitely transferring because the Ivy isn’t going to play. I think that’s pretty obvious. My question isn’t that; it’s how you can finish a Yale degree by taking classes at Denver
In a world of remote classes, can't anyone finish their last few courses while they "transfer" to another school for sports? The transfer portal is about NCAA eligibility and getting picked up by other coaches. I don't think it has anything to do with registration for classes. Lots of non athletes are taking semesters off and disrupting their academic schedules due to COVID. Think of all the international students that are unable to travel and remote classes don't work when you are 12 hours off in time zone. I have no idea if TD goes to Denver, but he could technically still take remote classes at Yale from anywhere in the world. He would also have to take classes at Denver towards a graduate degree at the same time.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

DU-fan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:09 pm

In a world of remote classes, can't anyone finish their last few courses while they "transfer" to another school for sports? The transfer portal is about NCAA eligibility and getting picked up by other coaches. I don't think it has anything to do with registration for classes. Lots of non athletes are taking semesters off and disrupting their academic schedules due to COVID. Think of all the international students that are unable to travel and remote classes don't work when you are 12 hours off in time zone. I have no idea if TD goes to Denver, but he could technically still take remote classes at Yale from anywhere in the world. He would also have to take classes at Denver towards a graduate degree at the same time.
The portal is about eligibility and getting picked up by other coaches but I’ve literally never heard of a player being enrolled at one school and playing another. You can’t just play for another school without taking classes there. You are playing college sports.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:25 pm
DU-fan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:09 pm

The portal is about eligibility and getting picked up by other coaches but I’ve literally never heard of a player being enrolled at one school and playing another. You can’t just play for another school without taking classes there. You are playing college sports.
Absolutely. You can indeed take remote classes anywhere in the world but you obviously cannot be playing for another school while doing it. Nor can you be taking undergrad courses at Yale and grad courses at Denver or anywhere else at the same time. Graduate school is for those, you know, who have graduated already.
CC10

Post by CC10 »

DU Fan, thanks for a good chuckle, please send me what you are taking.

"but he could technically still take remote classes at Yale from anywhere in the world. He would also have to take classes at Denver towards a graduate degree at the same time".
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

CC10 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:49 pm DU Fan, thanks for a good chuckle, please send me what you are taking.

"but he could technically still take remote classes at Yale from anywhere in the world. He would also have to take classes at Denver towards a graduate degree at the same time".
It is Friday and time for happy hour.... :lol:

Clearly, TD would need to be enrolled as a full time student at the school he is playing for.

But, who says he can't take his last credits at Yale remotely so he gets a Yale degree at the same time.

Looonnnggg ago, I took classes towards graduate school, while I was still an undergraduate. Granted it was the same school. It really comes down to the admissions department of the school TD is trying to play for. I have NO IDEA what TD is doing. I was just pointing out that TD can still technically graduate from Yale.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

DU-fan wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:04 pm
CC10 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:49 pm DU Fan, thanks for a good chuckle, please send me what you are taking.

It is Friday and time for happy hour.... :lol:

Clearly, TD would need to be enrolled as a full time student at the school he is playing for.

But, who says he can't take his last credits at Yale remotely so he gets a Yale degree at the same time.

Looonnnggg ago, I took classes towards graduate school, while I was still an undergraduate. Granted it was the same school. It really comes down to the admissions department of the school TD is trying to play for. I have NO IDEA what TD is doing. I was just pointing out that TD can still technically graduate from Yale.
“Long ago, I took classes towards graduate school while I was still an undergraduate. Granted it was at the same school.”

Yes that’s the key. The same school, likely in a program at that school. Not two different institutions.

Maybe there is some weird loophole or way around this but I haven’t heard of it
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:14 pm
“Long ago, I took classes towards graduate school while I was still an undergraduate. Granted it was at the same school.”

Yes that’s the key. The same school, likely in a program at that school. Not two different institutions.

Maybe there is some weird loophole or way around this but I haven’t heard of it
I agree. But, there was no internet and zoom was a TV show when I went to school. COVID and some leagues potentially not playing creates an environment where some admission departments may let TD enroll in graduate school with contingencies. Maybe some of the same exceptions that would have been made around WW1 or WW2. Who knows... Just because you enter the portal and explore options, doesn't mean it works out.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”