NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
SimpleLax

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by SimpleLax »

Updates heard through the grapevine which take with a grain of salt as not necessarily from official statements;
Amherst - Not playing. They were on probation this season anyway and are opting not to play at all as part of suspension
Middlebury - Team had COVID outbreak in fall from a team party, are in trouble with school and may not be allowed to play.
Bowdoin - Freshman not allowed on campus in spring and no organized sports activity currently allowed on campus. Rumor is team is trying to run off campus practices in hope of policy change.
Wesleyan - Non athlete students pushing administration to not allow spring sports. Wesleyan men’s lacrosse apparently led the effort on the athlete appeal to play so they are the poster child for the non athlete students charge.
Trinity - Students not coming back on campus until March 1.
Colby - All students back. restricted to travel only within Maine for the semester but allowing practices for all sports
Tufts - Students coming back on campus, as seen above, athletes pettitioning school for ability to play.
Williams - Have left decision to be on campus or remote to each student so no definitive on whose on or off campus. They were early to cancel fall and winter sports but no notice on spring sports yet.
Hamilton - Bringing all students back and allowing practices for all sports.
Conn College - Bringing all students back, allowing practices but off campus travel severely restricted beyond New London County, required to quarantine upon return currently.
Bates - Delayed students return to campus by 1 month to Mid-Feb, supposedly will allow athletes to practice.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:24 pm
When Salisbury, RIT and other national “big dogs” can carry 5th and 6th year players but the ‘CAC schools can’t; it’ll show up come tourney time.
Yeah, maybe RIT might actually be able to win a game against a lower-seeded NESCAC team they never should have seen seeded over in the first place.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Looked up several websites for Nescac team rosters and their schedules and they don’t show anything. You’d think they’d post a roster at least. If I were a freshman I’d appreciate some acknowledgement at least for making a college lax team. The leaders at the schools should be showing at a minimum a level of optimism. That’s not selling false hopes to students but rather proving they have the spirit to at least try to the best of their ability to provide a season if humanly possible
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:40 pm Looked up several websites for Nescac team rosters and their schedules and they don’t show anything. You’d think they’d post a roster at least. If I were a freshman I’d appreciate some acknowledgement at least for making a college lax team. The leaders at the schools should be showing at a minimum a level of optimism. That’s not selling false hopes to students but rather proving they have the spirit to at least try to the best of their ability to provide a season if humanly possible
Just looked at the websites for each program. I agree that the kids would probably like to see their names on the roster but more importantly they want to play. The only one listing a roster for 21 season is Trinity at this point. Hopefully other will follow suit shortly, and are planning to play out of conference games so these kids don’t have to lose another season.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

nehslaxfan wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:02 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:40 pm Looked up several websites for Nescac team rosters and their schedules and they don’t show anything. You’d think they’d post a roster at least. If I were a freshman I’d appreciate some acknowledgement at least for making a college lax team. The leaders at the schools should be showing at a minimum a level of optimism. That’s not selling false hopes to students but rather proving they have the spirit to at least try to the best of their ability to provide a season if humanly possible
Just looked at the websites for each program. I agree that the kids would probably like to see their names on the roster but more importantly they want to play. The only one listing a roster for 21 season is Trinity at this point. Hopefully other will follow suit shortly, and are planning to play out of conference games so these kids don’t have to lose another season.
NESCAC teams (at least those I am familiar with) never post rosters for a new season until "tryouts" occur, which normally occur Feb 15 but this year who knows.
CrimsonRed

Post by CrimsonRed »

SimpleLax .... Your comment re: Middlebury is flat out inaccurate. There was no Covid outbreak at Middlebury last semester and the men’s lacrosse team is not in trouble with the administration.

What I do know is that the postponement of a decision by the NESCAC presidents meeting will lead to a significant number of Midd student athletes to finalize their decision to either defer the spring semester or opt for remote learning away from campus and VT.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

SimpleLax wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:43 pm Amherst - Not playing. They were on probation this season anyway and are opting not to play at all as part of suspension
COVID might have been the biggest savior of the Amherst lacrosse program, given last spring's debacle.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Switzerland wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:03 pm
SimpleLax wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:43 pm Amherst - Not playing. They were on probation this season anyway and are opting not to play at all as part of suspension
COVID might have been the biggest savior of the Amherst lacrosse program, given last spring's debacle.
Careful. I brought that up last year and was met with *obviously you haven’t done your homework, the team has been exonerated* (of course, those so angered by me bringing it up wouldn’t answer my follow up question- if they were exonerated, would the suspensions still stand...)
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:37 pm
Switzerland wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:03 pm
Careful. I brought that up last year and was met with *obviously you haven’t done your homework, the team has been exonerated* (of course, those so angered by me bringing it up wouldn’t answer my follow up question- if they were exonerated, would the suspensions still stand...)
How and when were they exonerated? Just the players, or the coach too? Were the sanctions lifted before they decided to cancel the fall?

I was just making a general comment that any negative impact that could or should have come about because of the whole situation, whether it was founded or blown out of proportion, was likely mitigated because of all of the seasons being canceled/delayed/etc.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Yes, I agree with your sentiment regarding the incident’s impact. And if I recall correctly, nobody provided any documentation of any actual exoneration, just an angry response to my post which was similar to yours. I will have to look for that exchange in the history. I think that individual(s) were just trying to defend their program...
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:53 pm Yes, I agree with your sentiment regarding the incident’s impact. And if I recall correctly, nobody provided any documentation of any actual exoneration, just an angry response to my post which was similar to yours. I will have to look for that exchange in the history. I think that individual(s) were just trying to defend their program...
Fair enough. I'm sure Biddy sent a card to Colorado Springs saying, "Mea culpa."
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Have heard recently Conn College has some games scheduled but not 100% sure about it. Can from a source that is usually reliable but we are in unchartered waters at this point.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/DIII/calendar

Several NESCAC games on here. Who knows...
NELaxGuy33

Post by NELaxGuy33 »

Heard PJ Kelleher going back to Conn College for his 7th year. Will be 27 upon graduation...not sure how this is allowed? I am frankly outraged that he can come back for the camels.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

This is the future of college lacrosse in my opinion. You will have 20yo freshman arriving on campus and then playing games with eligibility / grad schools / red shirting / transferring / etc....

I know it’s been done in the past but I think we are going to see more and more of it now at the D3 level. Just look at Tufts this year.
CrimsonRed

Post by CrimsonRed »

Please tell me that you didn’t really fall for the Kelleher rumor. He used up all of his eligibility during the 2016-2019 seasons.
Dave

Post by Dave »

yeah - not sure how that would work....

I did hear that Conn has a plan to play some games with whoever wants to play in the event that there is no official NESCAC play.
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Dave wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:28 am yeah - not sure how that would work....

I did hear that Conn has a plan to play some games with whoever wants to play in the event that there is no official NESCAC play.
Glad to hear someone else heard similar to what I had heard. Did you hear anything details about date/opponents?
laxxer27

Post by laxxer27 »

DeepPocket wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:16 am https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/DIII/calendar

You really cant go by that schedule. A bunch of those games listed arent even gonna happen. Example, Commonwealth Coast has a ton of games listed in February but i believe March 1st is when the league decides a schedule or if they even play. My buddy is also a college lax official and they have been told first week of March "maybe" for the opening games in most of NE.
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

laxxer27 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:00 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:16 am https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/DIII/calendar

You really cant go by that schedule. A bunch of those games listed arent even gonna happen. Example, Commonwealth Coast has a ton of games listed in February but i believe March 1st is when the league decides a schedule or if they even play. My buddy is also a college lax official and they have been told first week of March "maybe" for the opening games in most of NE.
My comments about Conn College had nothing to do with that schedule as I agree it is not accurate. It was based upon someone who was told through that they were scheduling some games but I haven't been able to confirm it. Hopefully it is accurate.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”