SSDM- Laconi
SSDM- Hawkins
LSM- Ratliff
D- Fletcher
D- Acton
D- Carrigan
G- Runkel
FO- G Savio

Attack is loaded. Lusby had a better season than everyone bar Pat and didn't make it. Lindley is probably going to score the most goals in Loyola history and didn't either. The defense is basically the 2012 team plus Carrigan who I think is underestimated because he played a lot of off ball. I went with Runkel over Stover although Stover's senior season was incredible.

I'm curious if you guys would make any changes?
houndace1

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by houndace1 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:31 pm My Loyola team of the decade:

A- Spencer
A- Ward
A- Sawyer
M- Drapeau
M- Butts
M- Sherlock
SSDM- Laconi
SSDM- Hawkins
LSM- Ratliff
D- Fletcher
D- Acton
D- Carrigan
G- Runkel
FO- G Savio

Attack is loaded. Lusby had a better season than everyone bar Pat and didn't make it. Lindley is probably going to score the most goals in Loyola history and didn't either. The defense is basically the 2012 team plus Carrigan who I think is underestimated because he played a lot of off ball. I went with Runkel over Stover although Stover's senior season was incredible.

My Hounds All Decade Team

A- Spencer
A- Lusby
A- Sawyer
M- Drapeau
M- Butts
M- Sherlock
SSDM- Hawkins
SSDM- Laconi
LSM- Ratliff
D- Fletcher
D- Huggins
D- Manning
GK- Runkel
FO- JP Dalton/ Graham Savio.

I'm sure i missed the mark on Defense but i only saw Manning play his senior year in 2016. I never saw Acton play but i heard he was a monster on the defensive side. Manning was no slouch either despite the injury.

Went with Foster Huggins for Close D, his senior season in 2018 was fantastic and as a classmate of his, i know how much it meant to him to come back fully healthy after rehabbing his ACL injury. Most people don't know this but junior year he didn't fully rehab so he played the entire 2017 season not 100% healthy.

FO- Dalton was the FO guy for the Hounds National Championship run, but Graham Savio had a remarkable 4 year career as their main FO guy after Dalton graduated.

I left Ward off my attack list, yes his single season assist record at the time was great, and he did win a natty ring, but when you have snipers like Lusby and Sawyer with how many goals they scored- its hard to leave them off.

But i agree Iguana, attack was loaded for Loyola this decade.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:28 am
TheBigIguana wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:31 pm My Loyola team of the decade:

A- Spencer
A- Ward
A- Sawyer
M- Drapeau
M- Butts
M- Sherlock
SSDM- Laconi
SSDM- Hawkins
LSM- Ratliff
D- Fletcher
D- Acton
D- Carrigan
G- Runkel
FO- G Savio

My Hounds All Decade Team

A- Spencer
A- Lusby
A- Sawyer
M- Drapeau
M- Butts
M- Sherlock
SSDM- Hawkins
SSDM- Laconi
LSM- Ratliff
D- Fletcher
D- Huggins
D- Manning
GK- Runkel
FO- JP Dalton/ Graham Savio.

I'm sure i missed the mark on Defense but i only saw Manning play his senior year in 2016. I never saw Acton play but i heard he was a monster on the defensive side. Manning was no slouch either despite the injury.

Went with Foster Huggins for Close D, his senior season in 2018 was fantastic and as a classmate of his, i know how much it meant to him to come back fully healthy after rehabbing his ACL injury. Most people don't know this but junior year he didn't fully rehab so he played the entire 2017 season not 100% healthy.

FO- Dalton was the FO guy for the Hounds National Championship run, but Graham Savio had a remarkable 4 year career as their main FO guy after Dalton graduated.

I left Ward off my attack list, yes his single season assist record at the time was great, and he did win a natty ring, but when you have snipers like Lusby and Sawyer with how many goals they scored- its hard to leave them off.

But i agree Iguana, attack was loaded for Loyola this decade.
I probably should have gotten Huggins in there. Went heavy the 2012 to 2014 defense but Huggins as a senior was immense.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Goal is tough. Either Stover or Runkel is a fine pick.
I loved Runkel in 2012. His big body gave most shooters something to think about. But that defense with Fletcher made his life so much easier only giving up shots with little/bad angle or from mid range and further out. Runkel did have some issues IMO on low shots between his knees and feet from time to time.
I give Stover the nod, I liked his overall body of work and his senior year he was almost unstoppable if he had even a little bit of a look at the ball. No weaknesses in his game.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:30 am Goal is tough. Either Stover or Runkel is a fine pick.
I loved Runkel in 2012. His big body gave most shooters something to think about. But that defense with Fletcher made his life so much easier only giving up shots with little/bad angle or from mid range and further out. Runkel did have some issues IMO on low shots between his knees and feet from time to time.
I give Stover the nod, I liked his overall body of work and his senior year he was almost unstoppable if he had even a little bit of a look at the ball. No weaknesses in his game.

Stover also had excellent leadership skills, a quality that's easy to overlook.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Iguana put up an excellent analysis of the personnel units for 2020. After reading it, i can agree with the assumptions for the LSM's, Close D, and Face-Offs.

I just really dk about 3 things:

Midfield- Lots of unknowns with the graduation losses. Who gets playing time among the returnees and the freshmen? Toomey said in interviews he wants them to initiate to get the offense flowing, but in the villanova scrimmage IL reported that the midfield couldn't do much of anything against the defense. i know theres a possibility of running 3 separate lines

Goalie- Shafer is impressing in some fall ball reports. Hopefully he plays decently with the defense he has in front of him

Attack- I get that Olmstead is the Qb, and Lindley is the finisher but who's the 3rd option? Do we go for another inside finisher, another qb type, or one that can come off of screens for snipers i.e like a lusby or sawyer?

I wonder if there will be another January scrimmage like what they've done in years past. But i hope and pray that the game against UVA will be a good showing

Recruiting tidbit:
Got a verbal from Michael Callahan (A/M) from Avon Old Farms school in CT
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Scrimmage update:

January 25th, UMBC is coming to Ridley for a scrimmage. Can some of the posters here attend the scrimmage to take down some notes and report back? would love to hear how the team is looking
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
MPSSAAlaxfan

Post by MPSSAAlaxfan »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:11 pm
Laxfan01 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:04 am Really excited for this ‘20 class to get on campus, especially on the defensive side. Bean is a bigger, athletic kid who is still pretty raw, and has tons of potential. The kid from hill is very highly regarded, and is seen as one of the most underrated recruits in the class. Saffin should be a very promising ssdm(which you can never have enough nowadays). Lastly, Staudt might be the most exciting guy for us in the class. Top 5 ranked goalie in the country despite limited exposure, and will be walking into maybe the biggest position of need on the roster
Just curious, but where does it say that Staudt is a top 5 goalie in the 2020 class?

I like this group as well, has a great deal of defensive guys along with LSM's. I can't wait to see what Fairey (the hill academy recruit) can do. Also dont sleep on Gunnar Cheuvront (2019 kid) whos described as a quintessential LSM guy, thought he hasn't signed an NLI, yet...

Look at the 2021 class, have two strong middies so far (one is Mark Dixon's son), along with a great LSM recruit in Diego Roman
Worth noting that Cheuvront (class of '20) is coached by Joe Fletcher and Keith Schultz (Brian's brother). He resembles Fletcher physically, but plays a much more aggressive style of defense.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

MPSSAAlaxfan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:41 am
Laxfan01 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:04 am Really excited for this ‘20 class to get on campus, especially on the defensive side. Bean is a bigger, athletic kid who is still pretty raw, and has tons of potential. The kid from hill is very highly regarded, and is seen as one of the most underrated recruits in the class. Saffin should be a very promising ssdm(which you can never have enough nowadays). Lastly, Staudt might be the most exciting guy for us in the class. Top 5 ranked goalie in the country despite limited exposure, and will be walking into maybe the biggest position of need on the roster
Just curious, but where does it say that Staudt is a top 5 goalie in the 2020 class?

I like this group as well, has a great deal of defensive guys along with LSM's. I can't wait to see what Fairey (the hill academy recruit) can do. Also dont sleep on Gunnar Cheuvront (2019 kid) whos described as a quintessential LSM guy, thought he hasn't signed an NLI, yet...

Look at the 2021 class, have two strong middies so far (one is Mark Dixon's son), along with a great LSM recruit in Diego Roman
Worth noting that Cheuvront (class of '20) is coached by Joe Fletcher and Keith Schultz (Brian's brother). He resembles Fletcher physically, but plays a much more aggressive style of defense.
Has he signed his NLI yet? i didn't see the post congratulating him on Loyola's IG page
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

Just found this site and there is a lot of insights and opinions. I think Charlie Toomey is one of the better coaches in lacrosse, Peter Brown is Loyolas biggest fan and the fans over on the hopkins thread are over the top.

I have been following Loyola and attending games since graduation.

SPencer and Stover are HUGE losses. But i do believe they will be competitive.

Attack: Lindley and Olmstead will be solid. The third attack IMO will be either Kamish or Poitras. They looked the best in the Villinova scrimmage. The Dark horse will be Pridemore, he looked a little out of shape

Defense: Solid close defense and rope unit. Shaefer looks like to be the man to beat. The question is did Stover make the defense look good or did the defense make stover better?

Fogo: We are in good shape

Middies: The big question is here. Toomey talked about changing offensive strategy to more of the pre spencer transition offense. Their job will be to create for Olmstead and Lindley. Swindell, Deveraux, Wigley seem to be the front runners based on last year. Seay, James, Cain all had good
scrimmages. IMO the other freshman still need to develop and get stronger. I can see Loyola using 6-8 middies and the starters in the UVA game may not be the starters come the Patriot League tournament
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

loyola11 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:06 am Just found this site and there is a lot of insights and opinions. I think Charlie Toomey is one of the better coaches in lacrosse, Peter Brown is Loyolas biggest fan and the fans over on the hopkins thread are over the top.

Attack: Lindley and Olmstead will be solid. The third attack IMO will be either Kamish or Poitras. They looked the best in the Villinova scrimmage. The Dark horse will be Pridemore, he looked a little out of shape

Defense: Solid close defense and rope unit. Shaefer looks like to be the man to beat. The question is did Stover make the defense look good or did the defense make stover better?

Middies: The big question is here. Toomey talked about changing offensive strategy to more of the pre spencer transition offense. Their job will be to create for Olmstead and Lindley. Swindell, Deveraux, Wigley seem to be the front runners based on last year. Seay, James, Cain all had good
scrimmages. IMO the other freshman still need to develop and get stronger. I can see Loyola using 6-8 middies and the starters in the UVA game may not be the starters come the Patriot League tournament
Welcome to the Board, and our thread! Could you perhaps expand upon more for the middies and FO personally? Will Savio or Pacheco be the main FO guy. I read somewhere that Poitras can be used as a middie
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
MPSSAAlaxfan

Post by MPSSAAlaxfan »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:45 am
MPSSAAlaxfan wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:41 am

Has he signed his NLI yet? i didn't see the post congratulating him on Loyola's IG page
According to his HS twitter account he did.

https://twitter.com/CvilleCometsLax/sta ... 02561?s=20
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Always appreciate Houndace insight. Welcome Loyola11.

Hounds have the pieces but there is no replacement for Spencer so I think the offense will be more distributive and different, and evolving, has to be. Yeah, Middies are the Question Mark with the departure of Scanlon, Duffy and Brown. I think Hounds will need to get good production and leadership from Swindell, Cox and Devereaux (big bodies too and not afraid to mix it up) in the offensive mix. I think Swindell has an upside similar to UVA's Conrad. Wigley will also be in the mix. Could possibly throw in Seay (Bellarmine transfer with good body of work behind him in the SOCON) and Decker (Marist transfer). I can see Poitras play a lot in a position similar to Scanlon - scoring threat. This still leaves the 3rd attack position up for grabs. Kamish and/or Raba, and either one of those two will find themselves thrust into the Midfield line if not playing Attack, or possibly Poitras. Coach MVA is going to have shooters playing. It will be interesting to see who Toomey inserts as the 3rd Attackman.

I think it might take a few games for the offense to gel and players to find their rhythm and get their confidence up. That's all they need.

SSDM's appear solid with Benus, Boland, Razanka and Millhouse. Face Off is a strength IMO - Savio gets a breather every now and then. LSM is a strength. McNulty is a gb vacuum cleaner.

Don't know enough about close D or goalie. Also question marks IMO. Toomey seems optimistic in his interview.

I might be forgetting a player that will have an impact early and it is early. The pieces to the puzzle are there it's just up to the Staff and team to put it all together for a successful season.

Will see what looks they have at UMBC scrimmage.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

NovaHound wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:27 pm Always appreciate Houndace insight. Welcome Loyola11.

Hounds have the pieces but there is no replacement for Spencer so I think the offense will be more distributive and different, and evolving, has to be. Yeah, Middies are the Question Mark with the departure of Scanlon, Duffy and Brown. I think Hounds will need to get good production and leadership from Swindell, Cox and Devereaux (big bodies too and not afraid to mix it up) in the offensive mix. I think Swindell has an upside similar to UVA's Conrad. Wigley will also be in the mix. Could possibly throw in Seay (Bellarmine transfer with good body of work behind him in the SOCON) and Decker (Marist transfer). I can see Poitras play a lot in a position similar to Scanlon - scoring threat. This still leaves the 3rd attack position up for grabs. Kamish and/or Raba, and either one of those two will find themselves thrust into the Midfield line if not playing Attack, or possibly Poitras. Coach MVA is going to have shooters playing. It will be interesting to see who Toomey inserts as the 3rd Attackman.

I think it might take a few games for the offense to gel and players to find their rhythm and get their confidence up. That's all they need.

SSDM's appear solid with Benus, Boland, Razanka and Millhouse. Face Off is a strength IMO - Savio gets a breather every now and then. LSM is a strength. McNulty is a gb vacuum cleaner.

Don't know enough about close D or goalie. Also question marks IMO. Toomey seems optimistic in his interview.

I might be forgetting a player that will have an impact early and it is early. The pieces to the puzzle are there it's just up to the Staff and team to put it all together for a successful season.

Big bold on the SSDM's and the conveyer belt that Loyola just seems to produce year in year out. Don't forget Higgins as the senior SSDM on the rope unit that will most likely be Benus and maybe Hughes/McNulty as the threat for transition. I know Razanka got good PT for the rope unit too. The D-middies will be a strength that needs to be capitalized on since this is Higgins's final year.

Watch out for Millhouse, i've been saying it since last year. If he just develops his stick skills more, he can be the next Laconi. Millhouse plays with such relentless energy and i was impressed when he scored a couple times for Puerto Rico in the World championship. This kid has jets for legs to run by nearly anyone
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Lots of interesting questions.
I agree that Millhouse could be a force. Liked him out of h.s. Seay and Decker are solid additions but may have to adjust to the speed of top tier D1. But fall should have helped and I expect them to provide decent depth. Higgins, Wigley Cox and Devereaux are the ones I'm expecting to lead the midfield early. Interested to see how Bateman develops. He was fun to watch in h/s. Has the talent to produce at this level. I think Kamish gets the nod on attack, but that's just a guess. Also heard similar intel that Raba is in the mix. Where does Pridemore fit in?
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Pridemore was supposed to be a QB based off the scouting report, his highlights, and UVA fans when he was their top prized commit waaay back. He was the third attackmen on the teams trip to portugal... but now i hear from multiple posters that he's lost a step. Maybe he could be an EMO player?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

NovaHound wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:27 pm Always appreciate Houndace insight. Welcome Loyola11.

I'm a Swindell fan (family friends), but I think it's a bit unfair to suggest an "upside similar to Conrad".

Conrad was truly special and It's not really fair to expect that sort of level of play from Swindell, though if you just mean the kind of 2-way workhorse role, super important to his team, or to leadership qualities perhaps, then I quite agree.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Wow - good chatter on LP. Like to see the Hound fans providing some thoughts. I'll address a few things. Forgot about Higgins. Was probably to busy responding to reflect and think but some of the responses made me do some research. I like data and it can tell you a few things, or not.... :D

MDLAX Fan - You're right. Sorry about confusing you - it happens. I confuse a lot people. I did mean that Swindell's importance to the team is similar to Conrad's importance to UVA, albeit Conrad was an AA for the Nat'l Champs, and what Swindell means to the team reminds me of what Conrad meant to UVA - a two way workhorse. Let's see if I can back this up with metrics.

Throwing out Conrad's Junior season because he only played 5 games.

Points. Ground Balls. Turnovers. Caused Turnovers
Conrad, Senior. 49 95 27. 11
Conrad, Soph. 28. 63. 14. 10

Swindell, Junior 15. 42. 14. 3. (look at the jump in GB's from his prior season).
Swindell, Soph. 9. 9. 6. 0

Scanlon. 58. 23. 26. 2

Drapeau, Senior. 50. 31. 15. 4

I threw in Drapeau's Senior stats and Scanlon's stats just to see if it shows anything. I'd be interested in opinions. I like where this is heading for Swindell. He's a dang good player and it's an upward trajectory! Offensively he would need to increase his production significantly to be in the ballpark with Conrad, but heck, even if he is in the parking lot next to the stadium that's close enough for me. Someone mentioned to me that last year he was in the defensive huddle during games and this past fall he was in the offense huddle. I'm not sure if that is correct or not but if it is true it's got to mean something.

Ditto on Milhouse - he's got Jets for legs. I also think Razanka and Raba step up in big ways this season.
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:26 am
loyola11 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:06 am Just found this site and there is a lot of insights and opinions. I think Charlie Toomey is one of the better coaches in lacrosse, Peter Brown is Loyolas biggest fan and the fans over on the hopkins thread are over the top.

Welcome to the Board, and our thread! Could you perhaps expand upon more for the middies and FO personally? Will Savio or Pacheco be the main FO guy. I read somewhere that Poitras can be used as a middie
FO, Savio only got better as the year went on last year, i still cannot believe he took practically 100% of the face offs last year. With Pacheco, Bailey will only be that much better

Our Dmids, Benus, Higgins, Boland, Millhouse and Rezanka are solid, add that with Mcnulty and Middleton (who saw action last year) only makes the face off unit that much stronger. Millhouse has that extreme speed and can clear the ball, but his stick skills are very poor. IMO he would struggle as an offensive middie

The question marks for offensive middie. As i said, there will be a lot of movement the first couple of games until Vanarsdale finds the right mix. Swindell, Deveraux are the two top returners. The next tier of middies, Cox limited play time last year, and did not scrimmage if recall, not sure if he was injured. I like Wigley, blue collar type of player. Bateman, is the outside shooter, not a grinder and looked a little out of shape this fall. Cain reminds me of Swindell of last year, a two way middie that goes hard all the time. Seay, I like him, he looked good in the fall. James is another one that as the season continues will only get better. I have also read the Poistras could be used at middie, but he looked good at attack in the fall.

The other freshman need that year of experience.

Just my thoughts, we will see in two weeks with UMBC when Coach Moran returns to Ridley.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

loyola11 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:37 am
houndace1 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:26 am

FO, Savio only got better as the year went on last year, i still cannot believe he took practically 100% of the face offs last year. With Pacheco, Bailey will only be that much better

Our Dmids, Benus, Higgins, Boland, Millhouse and Rezanka are solid, add that with Mcnulty and Middleton (who saw action last year) only makes the face off unit that much stronger. Millhouse has that extreme speed and can clear the ball, but his stick skills are very poor. IMO he would struggle as an offensive middie

The question marks for offensive middie. As i said, there will be a lot of movement the first couple of games until Vanarsdale finds the right mix. Swindell, Deveraux are the two top returners. The next tier of middies, Cox limited play time last year, and did not scrimmage if recall, not sure if he was injured. I like Wigley, blue collar type of player. Bateman, is the outside shooter, not a grinder and looked a little out of shape this fall. Cain reminds me of Swindell of last year, a two way middie that goes hard all the time. Seay, I like him, he looked good in the fall. James is another one that as the season continues will only get better. I have also read the Poistras could be used at middie, but he looked good at attack in the fall.

The other freshman need that year of experience.

Just my thoughts, we will see in two weeks with UMBC when Coach Moran returns to Ridley.
Wonderful analysis! Thank you. Any takes on the LSM's with Hughes, Shires, McNulty,as well as the goalie? I know that the freshmen, Teitelbaum impressed in the fall so i'm wondering if there might be a time during this season that he could supplant Shafer as the starting keeper
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”