Cornell 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by wgdsr »

Gobigred wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:59 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:48 pm if you add in the 12.6 scholarships, the edge probably is in hopkins' favor. you may know this, but if you mix the 2 for a player, ALL the financial aid money is counted as scholarship money against the 12.6.
Probably? And the 12.6 can be used by the coach to buy whomever he wants. As I wrote above, BIG difference. Ask any Ivy League coach.
asked and answered, gobigred.
and very few schools have a situation like hopkins with bloomberg parachuting in when it comes to financial aid.
it is not surprising at all that the ivy is competitive in lacrosse and other sports like it with partial scholly situations.
though i certainly wouldn't be surprised by an ivy league coach pleading poverty.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:34 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:48 pm if you add in the 12.6 scholarships, the edge probably is in hopkins' favor. you may know this, but if you mix the 2 for a player, ALL the financial aid money is counted as scholarship money against the 12.6.
Probably? And the 12.6 can be used by the coach to buy whomever he wants. As I wrote above, BIG difference. Ask any Ivy League coach.
and very few schools have a situation like hopkins with bloomberg parachuting in when it comes to financial aid.
it is not surprising at all that the ivy is competitive in lacrosse and other sports like it with partial scholly situations.
though i certainly wouldn't be surprised by an ivy league coach pleading poverty.
Hopkins has announced that they will be having layoffs and budget cuts. It's interesting to see how schools with large endowments are protecting cash flow before liquidating assets.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

faircornell wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:14 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:34 pm
Hopkins has announced that they will be having layoffs and budget cuts. It's interesting to see how schools with large endowments are protecting cash flow before liquidating assets. I guess that there are restrictions on the use of endowment funds.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

CU88 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:38 am Johnny P working on his off hand and balance give it a try!!

https://twitter.com/JackPiatelli/status ... 8212634624
Gotta work on getting that shot off faster after receiving the feed. :lol:
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Catbird wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:04 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:39 pm
Catbird wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:48 am Central NY is certainly not for everyone. Accuweather has it 40 and cloudy today in Cornell. Sunny and 60 in Baltimore and the trees and flowers are blooming. :D

Plenty of bucolic spots to raise the family in the suburbs north of Baltimore with a ~30 minute commute. :D

Was he born up there anywhere? His bio doesn't go that far back but shows he has spent alot of time moving around including a long stint at Pfeiffer before moving North to pursue D1 jobs.
Why do people act like Baltimore is some warm year round city? DC, south of Balt, had some pretty wretched winters too when I lived there. It’s not like going to Chapel Hill, Greenville or real southern cities. Just marginally better than Ithaca
I didn't say it was equivalent to a warm year round city, it is a significant step in climate from Central New York or New England though, particularly during the transitional seasons. My wife is from up that way, she would agree with me. People were making snow men only a few days ago up there and it is almost May.

Winters can indeed be wretched SOME YEARS in Baltimore/DC area, but they are typically not so through the entire season. You have pockets of nice weather typically interspersed between the blizzards and deep freezes.
But that's probably enough about the weather.

I agree with this assessment. The transitional seasons differentiate Baltimore from Upstate NY. I live 45 minutes from Ithaca, and as I'm looking out the window today, it's raining and 42 degrees with more of the same expected tomorrow. Some years you get a lucky stretch of warm weather during April, but many Aprils are like this...pure misery. This time of year you'll get a lot more sun in Baltimore and reasonable "spring-like" temperatures. Even Philly is a significant upgrade over Upstate NY during spring.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The question is “is it such a huge difference that folks are fleeing upstate strictly or as a number one consideration being the delta in weather?”. Folks I knew who left upstate for weather reasons skipped straight to NC or further south, weren’t making a move on climate and landing in the mid Atlantic. It could be factor #3-4 or further down the list and maybe tip the scales but it’s brought up wayyyy too much around these boards as a game changer in job considerations. Upstate people are mostly comfortable with the crap weather we/they have.

FWIW, I’m stuck in a Broome Co trying to clean out the house of a hoarder (my mother) and yest was nice but looks like we’re about to get two straight weeks of rain starting a few hours ago...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

so the reports are getting more serious.... milliman is on a zoom call with the team right now: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oach/56349

if true- now what.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Galloway.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Sadly, Coach Milliman looks to be going to the Blue Jays.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:14 pm so the reports are getting more serious.... milliman is on a zoom call with the team right now: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oach/56349

if true- now what.
Pietramala homecoming.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Hi, Coach Chemotti. This is Andy Noel with Cornell. Do you have a moment to talk?
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Henpecked wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:42 pm
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:14 pm so the reports are getting more serious.... milliman is on a zoom call with the team right now: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oach/56349

if true- now what.
Pietramala homecoming.
Doubtful - don't see him taking a job outside the Baltimore area until after the kids go to college.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

And a terrible idea from the get-go.

Petro in 2020 is Richie Moran in 1990 (same age, same number of years removed from last championship).

And as for Andy Noel being able to manage this: he's the guy who forced Milliman to spend a year with the "interim" tag. He's the guy who thought Kerwick would be good.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

And probably a big reason why PM left for JHU.

I'm sure he loved the team and the school, but when an AD puts you in the seat with a beanie with a propeller on it, you never forget that. That would stick in anyone's gut for a long time. Now someone gives him the chance to get away from that sort of mentality? See ya.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

What an excellent description.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Yeah. I was so p*****d off about it at the time that I wrote a long letter to Noel. First time in my life that I've ever done such a thing. For my trouble I was put in contact with the head of the Cornell lax boosters group, who assured me (by phone) that it was a fine idea.

Wonder what he thinks now. Probably still doesn't get it.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CU77 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:40 pm Yeah. I was so p*****d off about it at the time that I wrote a long letter to Noel. First time in my life that I've ever done such a thing. For my trouble I was put in contact with the head of the Cornell lax boosters group, who assured me (by phone) that it was a fine idea.

Wonder what he thinks now. Probably still doesn't get it.
My hope is that we get someone who can leverage off the current momentum of the program, and not drag us back into a thorny "transitional" morass. Cornell has done well under Coach Milliman with a young, energetic staff. I hope that people vetting candidates keep that in mind.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Has Max coaches at all? I loved that guy. And I hate Cornell lacrosse (as a Hobart fan, have that upstate love in the big picture but, you know, go statesmen!). Literally one of my handful of favorite non Hobart players in college lacrosse w Casey Powell, Jon Reese & Brodie Merrill.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:55 pmMy hope is that we get someone who can leverage off the current momentum of the program, and not drag us back into a thorny "transitional" morass. Cornell has done well under Coach Milliman with a young, energetic staff. I hope that people vetting candidates keep that in mind.
I hope neither of that "young, energetic staff" follows him to the dark side.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Gobigred wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:05 pm
faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:55 pmMy hope is that we get someone who can leverage off the current momentum of the program, and not drag us back into a thorny "transitional" morass. Cornell has done well under Coach Milliman with a young, energetic staff. I hope that people vetting candidates keep that in mind.
I hope neither of that "young, energetic staff" follows him to the dark side.
+1

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”