Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by molo »

How many Ivy teams win this weekend? I don’t know his to set up a poll.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

molo wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:59 pm How many Ivy teams win this weekend? I don’t know his to set up a poll.
I don't think I am out on a limb when I predict 3.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Three, of course! No poll needed!
chosen1lax

Post by chosen1lax »

molo wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:59 pm How many Ivy teams win this weekend? I don’t know his to set up a poll.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I will guess two wins in the opening round: Cornell and Princeton. Heart says Yale can do it, head says not this year.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Ezra White wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:45 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:32 pm Out of curiosity, if you are willing to say it publicly, what kind of number would need for an endowment to be the primary funding source for the team?
5% of $20mm is $1MM, which would likely be enough?
More than just "primary"?
Or would $30mm be needed?

Endowed coaching positions are $5mm+, right?
The overall excellence of Ivy League lacrosse combined with some of the Ivies' idiosyncratic rules & customs might make a realistic price tag a bit higher. For example, a competitive team probably needs at least 2-3 endowed coaching positions.
And then there's the fact that everything is more expensive in Manhattan, NYC.

I'd love to hear details about which women's sports might get elevated to varsity and so forth. It would be terrific to make it 8, but I imagine a lot of puzzle pieces will need to be gathered and properly arranged.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

chosen1lax wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:42 pm
wasn't it supposed to be a 1 bid league?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Makeit8Lax

Post by Makeit8Lax »

FannOLax wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:03 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:32 pm Out of curiosity, if you are willing to say it publicly, what kind of number would need for an endowment to be the primary funding source for the team?

The overall excellence of Ivy League lacrosse combined with some of the Ivies' idiosyncratic rules & customs might make a realistic price tag a bit higher. For example, a competitive team probably needs at least 2-3 endowed coaching positions.

I'd love to hear details about which women's sports might get elevated to varsity and so forth. It would be terrific to make it 8, but I imagine a lot of puzzle pieces will need to be gathered and properly arranged.
We are seeking at a minimum endowed head and assistant coaching positions. Anything above that is gravy. Women’s rugby already has an Ivy presence and a men’s rugby team that has no problem remaining a club to preserve post-game drinking traditions. Women’s wrestling is growing and another option.

My group is actively gathering and arranging those puzzle pieces. We also have our own fundraising capability that does not rely on institutional support from the University which is a crucial difference from past attempts to get a varsity team in the 1990s and 2000s.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

$250k/yr for a coach seems right though again manhattan. 140% multiplier for employee expense implies a $175kish base which is a little tougher to live well on in Manhattan.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Makeit8Lax wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:30 pm

We are seeking at a minimum endowed head and assistant coaching positions. Anything above that is gravy. Women’s rugby already has an Ivy presence and a men’s rugby team that has no problem remaining a club to preserve post-game drinking traditions. Women’s wrestling is growing and another option.

My group is actively gathering and arranging those puzzle pieces. We also have our own fundraising capability that does not rely on institutional support from the University which is a crucial difference from past attempts to get a varsity team in the 1990s and 2000s.
Good luck to you, your group, and the effort. It would be great to see Columbia join in for men's lacrosse.
Makeit8Lax

Post by Makeit8Lax »

The Orfling wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:26 am

Good luck to you, your group, and the effort. It would be great to see Columbia join in for men's lacrosse.
Thank you! No matter what happens the money we raise will be available for and exclusive to the existing Columbia men’s team, be it varsity or club. Unlike other fundraising efforts (which amounted to a promise of funding in exchange for an agreement to create a team) we believe in obtaining and using the funds for benefit of the existing team as a down payment on a future promotion to varsity.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Makeit8Lax wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:50 am

Thank you! No matter what happens the money we raise will be available for and exclusive to the existing Columbia men’s team, be it varsity or club. Unlike other fundraising efforts (which amounted to a promise of funding in exchange for an agreement to create a team) we believe in obtaining and using the funds for benefit of the existing team as a down payment on a future promotion to varsity.
Be aware that if you move to varsity, only endowed funds can be devoted to a specific team. Otherwise, the funding needs to be split between men's and women's teams. And there can be a rebalancing of those other dollars given such endowments. Title IX drives this.

Sounds like you guys are on this...good luck!
Makeit8Lax

Post by Makeit8Lax »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:56 am
Makeit8Lax wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:50 am

Be aware that if you move to varsity, only endowed funds can be devoted to a specific team. Otherwise, the funding needs to be split between men's and women's teams. And there can be a rebalancing of those other dollars given such endowments. Title IX drives this.

Sounds like you guys are on this...good luck!
We are well aware! And would not mind helping Columbia women’s lacrosse boost its fortunes if we were to get a team. Thank you so much!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Well, we'll always have '22.
But to be serious, just a few weeks ago there was a chance the league could only get an AQ representative. Congrats to all involved; hard-fought exciting games. The breaks and bounces that make one year historic turn another disappointing.
Lager

Post by Lager »

I really don't think the ivy comes out of this looking bad. Michigan just ripped through the big ten tournament but needed OT to beat cornell. Yale was very competive with a highly regarded Gtown team. Princeton barely loses to a good penn st. team. Sometimes things just don't break your way.
IDHen

Post by IDHen »

Lager wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:58 pm I really don't think the ivy comes out of this looking bad. Michigan just ripped through the big ten tournament but needed OT to beat cornell. Yale was very competive with a highly regarded Gtown team. Princeton barely loses to a good penn st. team. Sometimes things just don't break your way.

Pretty good but to go 0 for3?? Not what we expect from those who ooze elitism. I propose the Ivies find a totally new member for their conference like the CAA did. They’re all for things like that, eh?
Last edited by IDHen on Sun May 14, 2023 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carolinagrad

Post by Carolinagrad »

Great call
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

IDHen wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:03 pm
Lager wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:58 pm I really don't think the ivy comes out of this looking bad. Michigan just ripped through the big ten tournament but needed OT to beat cornell. Yale was very competive with a highly regarded Gtown team. Princeton barely loses to a good penn st. team. Sometimes things just don't break your way.

Pretty good but to go 0 for3?? Not what we expect from those who ooze elitism. I propose the Ivies find a totally new member for their conference like the CAA did. They’re all for things like that, eh?
Maybe Delaware will make the 8th team?….similar to Hopkins and the Big Ten?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:21 pm
wasn't it supposed to be a 1 bid league?
Should have been.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:05 pm
IDHen wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:03 pm

Maybe Delaware will make the 8th team?….similar to Hopkins and the Big Ten?
:lol:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”