Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Re: Navy 2020

Post by gymman1031 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:02 pm
smoova wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:39 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:04 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:08 pm People have talked about Navy's expectations. Here is what I think Navy can do with the right coach:

1. often make the Patriot League Title game
2. make several postseason appearances, either with the automatic bid or as an at-large
3. have multiple Top 100 players in each of their recruiting classes
4. considering the region they are in and their awesome stadium, lead the NCAA in regular season attendance several times
5. make the Patriot League Tournament Semifinals most years
6. get to the NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals multiple times
7. if all goes right, at least one trip to the Final Four, and maybe beyond
Might want to add something about that team on the Hudson...
He's trying to be realistic ...
OUCH
Please let me know if you think any of those expectations are too high.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

No they are not too high at all.

Item 4 drives me bonkers. You would think at least a small portion of the brigade would attend at least some of the games. It was nice to see the Football team show up for the Terps game this year. Surely something can be done on the yard to encourage attendance. Maybe the new Supe can incentive attendance....If you attend and the Mids win, you win and receive/earn yardcard points or something.

The players absolutely love when their peers are in the stands.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

There's usually 1 Sat game/yr, in Apr which is "mandatory fun" for the Brigade, in which they are fed lunch at the stadium.
I don't recall if that's the Army game in odd # years.

Moving MD & JHU to the front end of the sched hurts attendance.
Used to be ended the regular season with Gtown, MD, Army & JHU the last 4 Sats before the PLT.
That guaranteed at least 2 good wx Sats, with teams like UNC, OSU, & Loyola as early season attractions.
Locked in late season conf games (for all conferences now) + PL going to 9 teams, will make it tough to lead the nation in attendance again.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

All fair points. Just seems w/4400 students within a mile, who are typically on lock down on the yard the first two years, there would be incentive to just get some fresh air and get to the stadium. But I get it, studies and other responsibilities take priority and its much easier to justify studying rather than wasting a few hours away and being required to dress in your SDB's, again on a Saturday. Maybe that's the ticket.....allow then to wear the track suit in lieu of the SDB's and cover.

I went to two of the PL playoff baseball games and was still amazed there was seating available and how few MIDS were in the stands. And that game is only a short walk just across the toe bridge of Hospital point.

I think more could be done from the top brass to encourage school spirit, but then again the risk is one knucklehead or complaint and all hell breaks loose.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

It's gotta come from within the Brigade. Lax used to be a big deal.
Nearly the springtime equivalent of FB, in terms of interest & support.
But then FB wasn't consistently good, Lax was (consistently top 10 -20),
& most Mids hadn't seen a lax game beore arriving at USNA, so it was unique & interesting.
The season started later, more good wx games, marking the end of the dark ages.
The season went through May. The A-N lax game was a highlight of June Wk (now Grad Wk).
It came back somewhat in that 2004 - 2010 run of success. Maybe it will again.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

9. Be the BEST team in Maryland.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:08 pm People have talked about Navy's expectations. Here is what I think Navy can do with the right coach:

1. often make the Patriot League Title game
2. make several postseason appearances, either with the automatic bid or as an at-large
3. have multiple Top 100 players in each of their recruiting classes
4. considering the region they are in and their awesome stadium, lead the NCAA in regular season attendance several times
5. make the Patriot League Tournament Semifinals most years
6. get to the NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals multiple times
7. if all goes right, at least one trip to the Final Four, and maybe beyond
Wait, never mind, thought I stumbled on the Loyola thread by mistake :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I get the point that has to come from the Brigade. It’s like an act of of congress to get movement orders in motion for a fan bus and then sit and wait to see if others fill in the interest to attend from someone they don’t often know.

My point, if the new Supe, who I believe is an ex USNA soccer player, creates an excitement for extra curriculars in athletics, it translates on the field. We all do a bit better when we know we have support. Who we play should not determine the crowd size IF the message in the stands is “we got your back” from the 4350 other student body. Not force them to attend, but make it attractive.
~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

I had great hopes for Navy hockey when "" Slapshot " became Supe.
No change in Brigade interest in the games. He just got some ice time.

I remember a Supe & his wife who had Navy hockey jerseys & wore them to games.
They even went to home games in the Piney Orchard Rink the season between the rink removal from Dahlgren & the delayed opening of McMullen Ice Arena.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

When there are tailgates for the Midshipmen after the lax games, they will show up.

For what its worth, and to be honest, student support of athletics at Navy is not very good. Baseball, which is on base, in a new facility and is pretty good, get about 200 people a game. Basketball, which stinks, is on base, in the winter gets only about 1600-1700. (remembering ~1000 of the 4300 have to see a sporting event in the yard each week unless they too are on a Varsity team, or..or..)

As a plebe you can walk out of your room, watch a soccer game and one hour later get on with your day. Walking to the stadium to see a sport you are just learning about, watch them lose and having to walk back for evening formation can't compete.

I started going my firstie year because we were winning, two guys in my company were starters and we had a company tailgater for them after the game.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:41 pm 9. Be the BEST team in Maryland.
Not saying that will often happen. But with a fine coach and good talent, it could definitely happen occasionally.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Looking ahead into 2020 plans for the coaching staff.

Our biggest holes to fill are Wade and Torain on offense. And when you begin to break them down, a couple stats that stand out are assists and to's of Wade. Had Wade not been the feeder he was, we would have been much worse off, the risk reward of his TO's/Assists are okay with me, because he was busting his arse trying to find a way. Torain's GB count is misleading as he was on the wing a ton and credit to Brad Alexander with his 24 GB's, and he never started a game on the wing...according to stats, he turned out to be a huge help down the stretch. Torain, surely will be missed and sadly because our offense was so easily scoutable the last handful of years, he was much easier for defenses to apply pressure and show/slide to him.

Moving forward, our leading scorers were two plebes and a soph who are also all attackman. Sweeney, Daniel, and Cole have developed chemistry and have really grown to understand each others tenancies. I also believe they will thrive in pairs style - high motion offense. Both Daniel and Sweeney have played midfield, so sweeping over the top, overlays, nations style looks would be, imo, highly effective.

There is depth at midfield and without knowing full well who is heading to the yard, returners in Foster, deLyra, Spilker (who saw time as plebe), Fratt, Salcedo (who saw more time as a plebe) certainly will embrace a faster, higher motion offense. I would include players like B.Martin and B, Alexander who could also contribute.

Defensively and goalie play....we are already buttoned up.

My hopes. Coach Amplo throws the kitchen sink at them has them practice with a frenzied 60 second shot clock, based off of some whiteboard skeleton offense and see who gets it. I think he will be pleasantly surprised that he has can do talent just itching to let all hang out. My guess if he does that...Wellner will be saying "we need more of that Coach".

~Livy

laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:05 pm Looking ahead into 2020 plans for the coaching staff.

Our biggest holes to fill are Wade and Torain on offense. And when you begin to break them down, a couple stats that stand out are assists and to's of Wade. Had Wade not been the feeder he was, we would have been much worse off, the risk reward of his TO's/Assists are okay with me, because he was busting his arse trying to find a way. Torain's GB count is misleading as he was on the wing a ton and credit to Brad Alexander with his 24 GB's, and he never started a game on the wing...according to stats, he turned out to be a huge help down the stretch. Torain, surely will be missed and sadly because our offense was so easily scoutable the last handful of years, he was much easier for defenses to apply pressure and show/slide to him.

Moving forward, our leading scorers were two plebes and a soph who are also all attackman. Sweeney, Daniel, and Cole have developed chemistry and have really grown to understand each others tenancies. I also believe they will thrive in pairs style - high motion offense. Both Daniel and Sweeney have played midfield, so sweeping over the top, overlays, nations style looks would be, imo, highly effective.

There is depth at midfield and without knowing full well who is heading to the yard, returners in Foster, deLyra, Spilker (who saw time as plebe), Fratt, Salcedo (who saw more time as a plebe) certainly will embrace a faster, higher motion offense. I would include players like B.Martin and B, Alexander who could also contribute.

Defensively and goalie play....we are already buttoned up.

My hopes. Coach Amplo throws the kitchen sink at them has them practice with a frenzied 60 second shot clock, based off of some whiteboard skeleton offense and see who gets it. I think he will be pleasantly surprised that he has can do talent just itching to let all hang out. My guess if he does that...Wellner will be saying "we need more of that Coach".

+1 youth and then some. #66 deLyra will spin d-heads, and with the right assist artists getting it to him, will be an outstanding finisher...he'll be fun to watch over the next two seasons.
Last edited by laxxygilmore on Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Re: Navy 2019

Post by old salt »

yout -- the high motion, pairs offense you mention would seem to be a good fit & a welcome change.
Marquette has it's new HC & Coach Brundage is no longer listed on their website, but neither are any new assistants.
No matter, Coach Amplo is accustomed to a Drexel-Princeton style pairs offense.
Even if he doesn't bring his OC from Marquette, he may bring his offensive scheme.
old salt wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:51 pm I hope Amplo brings his Assoc HC Stephan Brundage * with him :

High scoring Loyola (2004) attackman, with W Genny (upstate NY) recruiting roots.
Assisted Chris Bates at Drexel & Princeton (pairs offense).

* " Brundage’s unique offense has been one of the nation’s most efficient during his time at Marquette, scoring at a high rate and not suffering many turnovers. The Golden Eagles were ranked as high as No. 2 nationally in fewest turnovers per game in 2014 and third in the category among NCAA Division I teams in 2015."
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

And now this just in !

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oach/54887

Wonderful news for an outstanding Coach !

Fore

"T"
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

Just posted this on another thread but since T posted the above I figured I would jump in:
As a Navy fan I’am excited that Wellner looks to be coming back now that the SB door has closed but as a huge fan of his, I was hoping for he and his family that SB was his job. The guy deserves an opportunity and as someone who has followed his career -what this guy stands for us far greater than any result on any given Saturday
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Not sure Wade will be that difficult to replace...yes he produced some good numbers, but he was turnover machine that constantly forced the ball into tough/impossible spots. Greyson was/is a phenomenal talent, but, he too turned it over at a high rate. Navy will have to follow the Army model and run off of saves, create O from the ride and rely on some crafty attackmen to score some big goals--that was how Richie did it. As always, it will be tough to find scorers, but the D can help generate some O--although last year's D was young so Wellner will have to prove his worth(I would assume he's staying put now...high paid assistant gig and doesn't have to uproot the family..).
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

oldjayfan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:36 pm Not sure Wade will be that difficult to replace...yes he produced some good numbers, but he was turnover machine that constantly forced the ball into tough/impossible spots. Greyson was/is a phenomenal talent, but, he too turned it over at a high rate. Navy will have to follow the Army model and run off of saves, create O from the ride and rely on some crafty attackmen to score some big goals--that was how Richie did it. As always, it will be tough to find scorers, but the D can help generate some O--although last year's D was young so Wellner will have to prove his worth(I would assume he's staying put now...high paid assistant gig and doesn't have to uproot the family..).
Guy, been thru this before, look at the Def numbers over 8 years......
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wrote: As always, it will be tough to find scorers,
The scorers are there and have been. You can't score when you only shoot with just the starters week in and week out. Look no further than a player like Foster who barely, if ever, saw the field in 2018, then was a bright star in 2019. Another like Spilker can shoot from outside and on the run very well, was on EMO in 2018, then gets bumped to nowhere in 2019.

Many of the players just need the reps and did not get them, which is why I have suggested for the past few years that the practice needed to change.
~Livy

oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

HealthyDebate wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:42 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:36 pm Not sure Wade will be that difficult to replace...yes he produced some good numbers, but he was turnover machine that constantly forced the ball into tough/impossible spots. Greyson was/is a phenomenal talent, but, he too turned it over at a high rate. Navy will have to follow the Army model and run off of saves, create O from the ride and rely on some crafty attackmen to score some big goals--that was how Richie did it. As always, it will be tough to find scorers, but the D can help generate some O--although last year's D was young so Wellner will have to prove his worth(I would assume he's staying put now...high paid assistant gig and doesn't have to uproot the family..).
Guy, been thru this before, look at the Def numbers over 8 years......
Sorry Mrs. Wellner...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”