All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:35 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:25 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:01 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:57 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:05 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:30 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:23 pm
Kismet wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:44 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:11 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:05 pm I'm giving Biden credit for FINALLY doing this . ...it's just 6 mos too late. I want the war ended asap & this will help/
:lol: Exactly what I've been saying: you want Biden to be PERFECT. In your world, he and his advisors aren't allowed to think, or consider options and the consequences of their actions. He has to shoot first, think later, and if he doesn't, you're all over him.

How many times have you mocked me, saying "the perfect is the enemy of the good".
Funny how you failed to mention that 48 hours ago. :oops:
:roll: So I cheered the decision without specifically mentioning Biden.
If I had, I would have had to include -- " better late than never ".
When Ukraine expels Russia from its territories, maybe you'll decide to be on the winning side and we can say, "well, better late than never"...
I hope so. I hope Gen Milley is wrong.

obtw -- I don't recall you calling specifically for Patriots either. You wanted offensive weapons like UAV's & ATACMS.
Nope, I wanted everything we could possibly give them to successfully defend, including retake, every inch of their sovereign territory. Completely destroy the aggressor until he wilts and runs in retreat.

Yes, my focus was on what we were saying we were not ready to give them, weapons that could target precisely and destroy command and control and offensive strike capability of the Russians. And whatever sophisticated defensive capabilities, certainly as well...but my emphasis was putting a world of hurt on the Russian military, not pretending that all the Ukrainians could hope for was to not give up too much more land and people destroyed, children deported, gone forever.

I still have that tilt.

That said, I'm not blasting the Biden Admin for slow walking this stuff carefully, step by step, as they are also responsible for marshaling the West's response collectively, not just a unilateral response.

I'd have wanted them to go faster, but I'm not privy to the various factors and rationale for the slow walk.

Bottomline, Putin and his version of Russia have rightfully become pariah, and the Ukrainians are poised to retake their territory decisively. I hope that's what comes to pass and the whiners and appeasers don't win out...
i sincerely hope lt works out as you wish, but I can't say that I think it will.
you meant “hope”.
I'm giving my best guess on how this will end. Why don't you do the same.
My best guess is that the war will end one day and my opinion as to when, where, how and why is just as irrelevant as yours. You think it matters if a dog has no idea how it’s going to end? You care what a fish thinks? You think Putin or Joe knows that you even exist?

You don’t talk to friends and acquaintances about politics. You keep it to yourself and just listen…. Why on earth would Joe Biden care what your demands are? You make demands of your superiors?
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:04 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:05 pm I'm giving Biden credit for FINALLY doing this . ...it's just 6 mos too late. I want the war ended asap & this will help/
:lol: Exactly what I've been saying: you want Biden to be PERFECT. In your world, he and his advisors aren't allowed to think, or consider options and the consequences of their actions. He has to shoot first, think later, and if he doesn't, you're all over him.

How many times have you mocked me, saying "the perfect is the enemy of the good".
When Ukraine expels Russia from its territories, maybe you'll decide to be on the winning side and we can say, "well, better late than never"...

obtw -- I don't recall you calling specifically for Patriots either. You wanted offensive weapons like UAV's & ATACMS.
Nope, I wanted everything we could possibly give them to successfully defend, including retake, every inch of their sovereign territory. Completely destroy the aggressor until he wilts and runs in retreat.

Yes, my focus was on what we were saying we were not ready to give them, weapons that could target precisely and destroy command and control and offensive strike capability of the Russians. And whatever sophisticated defensive capabilities, certainly as well...but my emphasis was putting a world of hurt on the Russian military, not pretending that all the Ukrainians could hope for was to not give up too much more land and people destroyed, children deported, gone forever.

I still have that tilt.

That said, I'm not blasting the Biden Admin for slow walking this stuff carefully, step by step, as they are also responsible for marshaling the West's response collectively, not just a unilateral response.

I'd have wanted them to go faster, but I'm not privy to the various factors and rationale for the slow walk.

Bottomline, Putin and his version of Russia have rightfully become pariah, and the Ukrainians are poised to retake their territory decisively. I hope that's what comes to pass and the whiners and appeasers don't win out...
i sincerely hope lt works out as you wish, but I can't say that I think it will.
you meant “hope”.
My best guess is that the war will end one day and my opinion as to when, where, how and why is just as irrelevant as yours. You think it matters if a dog has no idea how it’s going to end? You care what a fish thinks? You think Putin or Joe knows that you even exist?

You don’t talk to friends and acquaintances about politics. You keep it to yourself and just listen…. Why on earth would Joe Biden care what your demands are? You make demands of your superiors?
So you don't feel like talking about the war, then don't. You only disrupt & add nothing anyway.
My "demand" was playing off afan's use of the term & you know it, but are too dishonest to let it go as that.
I discuss the war with my friends all the time. We just keep politics out of it & respect each others opinions.
That's apparently not possible here. Despite your attempts to sidetrack this thread, we drew rasheed back into the mix & he brought a lot of new substance into the discussion.
Last edited by old salt on Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:55 pm the working class has abandoned the Democratic Party, largely on cultural issues.
Been telling you this for years. You're regurgitating my talking points, my man!

Why are they doing this? Consumption of media, telling guys like you that Drag Queens are now controlling Congress, and if you "just vote Republican", the Republicans will make the Big-Bad-Drag-Queens go away.

So what do guys like you do? You believe them, and vote Republican. And then don't notice that the Drag Queens are still out there, doing what they do. You can't legislate culture. How many times do I have to tell you this?
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:55 pm It is true elsewhere as well. Look at France, where workers are coddled, or Sweden, with its generous welfare and training programs: Both have growing right-wing populist parties, largely fueled by issues such as immigration, race and education.
All relative. France and Sweden's working class all get better educations, access to health care, and strong unions.

I've asked you 1,000,000 times, and none of you can answer: what's the Republican plan to help the American working class?

Telling us the Dems are bad, drag queens are bad, the gays are bad, elections are fraudulent, and learning about American history is bad isn't a plan, Old Salt.

You can't tell me what your party's plan is. None of you can. There isn't one. And it's killing our country.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:27 pm Despite your attempts to sidetrack this thread, we drew rasheed back into the mix & he brought a lot of new substance into the discussion.
Not yet. He's not responding to good questions about his positions. Right now, he's posting links and not discussing anything......
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:32 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:27 pm Despite your attempts to sidetrack this thread, we drew rasheed back into the mix & he brought a lot of new substance into the discussion.
Not yet. He's not responding to good questions about his positions. Right now, he's posting links and not discussing anything......
Yes he has. He's just not wasting his time playing your silly game. He gets paid by the hour for his thoughts & resources.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:35 pm
Yes he has. He's just not wasting his time playing your silly game.
:lol: He hasn't answered a single question, you're lying. And doing so because you're thrilled "he wants to find an offramp to avoid WWIII", and naturally you think that everyone here isn't looking for the same.

He's not here for a discussion. And that's fine....he's welcome to do as he likes. My questions were simple: i have no clue what he's talking about, and don't subscribe to substack, so I can't read What the heck he's talking about.

You ask questions when I post stuff with a paywall......I'm not allowed to do the same with Rasheed, is that it?
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:30 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:55 pm the working class has abandoned the Democratic Party, largely on cultural issues.
Been telling you this for years. You're regurgitating my talking points, my man!

Why are they doing this? Consumption of media, telling guys like you that Drag Queens are now controlling Congress, and if you "just vote Republican", the Republicans will make the Big-Bad-Drag-Queens go away.

So what do guys like you do? You believe them, and vote Republican. And then don't notice that the Drag Queens are still out there, doing what they do. You can't legislate culture. How many times do I have to tell you this?
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:55 pm It is true elsewhere as well. Look at France, where workers are coddled, or Sweden, with its generous welfare and training programs: Both have growing right-wing populist parties, largely fueled by issues such as immigration, race and education.
All relative. France and Sweden's working class all get better educations, access to health care, and strong unions.

I've asked you 1,000,000 times, and none of you can answer: what's the Republican plan to help the American working class?

Telling us the Dems are bad, drag queens are bad, the gays are bad, elections are fraudulent, and learning about American history is bad isn't a plan, Old Salt.

You can't tell me what your party's plan is. None of you can. There isn't one. And it's killing our country.
You think cultural issues don't matter, or that both parties don't use them ? Working class families care about what their kids are exposed to.

You can't see the irony in your EUroburgher idols squealing about Biden's protectionism when they might have to move some of the jobs which supply the US market back to the US ? :lol:

Move to Europe & try to buy a US made car or appliance & see what it costs you. Their crisis won't be solved by preventing jobs coming back to the US. It will be solved by ending this stupid war so the global energy & other markets return to some form of normalcy, & by incentivizing US energy production & exports again. The EUroburghers got themselves in this mess by getting hooked on Russian gas & oil, then ignored Trump's warning & turned down his alternative to supply them.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:45 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:35 pm
Yes he has. He's just not wasting his time playing your silly game.
:lol: He hasn't answered a single question, you're lying. And doing so because you're thrilled "he wants to find an offramp to avoid WWIII", and naturally you think that everyone here isn't looking for the same.

He's not here for a discussion. And that's fine....he's welcome to do as he likes. My questions were simple: i have no clue what he's talking about, and don't subscribe to substack, so I can't read What the heck he's talking about.

You ask questions when I post stuff with a paywall......I'm not allowed to do the same with Rasheed, is that it?
He stated his position clearly. He's just not hanging around to play your childish game.
There were no paywalls on his links. He said the people in his links speak for him.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Which means one can't think and debate for oneself. Or refuses to.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:03 am Which means one can't think and debate for oneself. Or refuses to.
Maybe he doesn't have as much time as we do to hang out here.

If you & afan want to hear more from him, the subscription is free.

Just go to https://silentpartner.substack.com/ & sign up.
...of course the CIA & FBI will then monitor you.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:09 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:03 am Which means one can't think and debate for oneself. Or refuses to.
a fan wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:53 pm He's not here for a discussion. And that's fine....he's welcome to do as he likes.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:51 pm You think cultural issues don't matter, or that both parties don't use them ?
Sure I do! You're not listening, as usual.

What I'm telling you, for the 100th time is: the Republicans have substituted governing and ideas for governance with scare tactics and fake cultural issues. And you're the A#1 sucker when it comes to this.

When I ask you or any other Republican: what's your plan? You can't answer it. You come back with nothing, and then mock me calling these simple, basic, obvious questions as "little games".

The Dems, yep, they play the culture wars, too. But....but: Like it or not, they can articulate plans. Green New Deal. Free college. Obamacare. Infastructure. Tangible stuff. Yep, you can criticize it. But in the end, what's the alternative? (there isn't one)
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:55 pm Working class families care about what their kids are exposed to.
Yep. But they're being told that draq queens are reading to kids in NYC.....and thinking that voting Republicans in Omaha will stop that. It's silly.
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:55 pm You can't see the irony in your EUroburgher idols squealing about Biden's protectionism
You still don't get it. No matter how many times I tell you these things, you don't listen, and just trundle on.

They're not my idols. The American Economy as it stands makes me and everyone I know flush with cash. We all have advanced degrees. We all come from families that put a premium on education. Not only am I set, so is my family. And all your team does is shovel more money my way....and to all my pals with the same multiple degrees with multiple homes, vacations and little or no debt. We're not the 1%ers. We're the top 10% earners, just like you.

If you want to continue on this econommic path? Knock yourself out. I win with your way, my man.

What I THOUGHT you wanted (and what I want) is for the American working class to enjoy what I enjoy.

The Euroburgers have given that to their working class. Health care, education, unions, fewer working hours, more vacation.

If you have a better way to give this to the working class? Let's hear your plan, my man. The floor is yours!

....(we both know you won't answer the question, because you haven't the foggiest idea)
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:22 am
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:51 pm You think cultural issues don't matter, or that both parties don't use them ?

What I'm telling you, for the 100th time is: the Republicans have substituted governing and ideas for governance with scare tactics and fake cultural issues. And you're the A#1 sucker when it comes to this.

When I ask you or any other Republican: what's your plan? You can't answer it. You come back with nothing, and then mock me calling these simple, basic, obvious questions as "little games".

The Dems, yep, they play the culture wars, too. But....but: Like it or not, they can articulate plans. Green New Deal. Free college. Obamacare. Infastructure. Tangible stuff. Yep, you can criticize it. But in the end, what's the alternative? (there isn't one)
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:55 pm Working class families care about what their kids are exposed to.
Yep. But they're being told that draq queens are reading to kids in NYC.....and thinking that voting Republicans in Omaha will stop that. It's silly.
old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:55 pm You can't see the irony in your EUroburgher idols squealing about Biden's protectionism
You still don't get it. No matter how many times I tell you these things, you don't listen, and just trundle on.

They're not my idols. The American Economy as it stands makes me and everyone I know flush with cash. We all have advanced degrees. We all come from families that put a premium on education. Not only am I set, so is my family. And all your team does is shovel more money my way....and to all my pals with the same multiple degrees with multiple homes, vacations and little or no debt. We're not the 1%ers. We're the top 10% earners, just like you.

If you want to continue on this econommic path? Knock yourself out. I win with your way, my man.

What I THOUGHT you wanted (and what I want) is for the American working class to enjoy what I enjoy.

The Euroburgers have given that to their working class. Health care, education, unions, fewer working hours, more vacation.

If you have a better way to give this to the working class? Let's hear your plan, my man. The floor is yours!

....(we both know you won't answer the question, because you haven't the foggiest idea)
The American working class can get back there if we can get more jobs back. Most of the paychecks cashed in our grocery store every Fri were from UAW workers. That was cut in half when Chrysler was purchased by Daimler-Benz & they shut down the largest Chrysler plant in the USA which had been there 50 years. Made in America. Protectionism. Targeted tariffs & duties. Energy production incentives & exports. Subsidized ag exports. Hell yes ! Hearing Jamie Dimon whine on behalf of the EUroburghers brings a tear to my eye.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:38 am The American working class can get back there if we can get more jobs back. Most of the paychecks cashed in our grocery store every Fri were from UAW workers.That was cut in half when Chrysler was purchased by Daimler-Benz & they shut down the largest Chrysler plant in the USA which had been there 50 years. Made in America. Protectionism. Targeted tariffs & duties. Energy production incentives & exports. Subsidized ag exports. Hell yes ! Hearing Jamie Dimon whine on behalf of the EUroburghers brings a tear to my eye.
I'll move this to another thread and respond tomorrow.....we can exit the Ukraine thread for this.

Have a good evening, and I appreciate that you at least took a cursory stab at the question......
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:44 am
old salt wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:38 am The American working class can get back there if we can get more jobs back. Most of the paychecks cashed in our grocery store every Fri were from UAW workers.That was cut in half when Chrysler was purchased by Daimler-Benz & they shut down the largest Chrysler plant in the USA which had been there 50 years. Made in America. Protectionism. Targeted tariffs & duties. Energy production incentives & exports. Subsidized ag exports. Hell yes ! Hearing Jamie Dimon whine on behalf of the EUroburghers brings a tear to my eye.
I'll move this to another thread and respond tomorrow.....we can exit the Ukraine thread for this.

Have a good evening, and I appreciate that you at least took a cursory stab at the question......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3LvZAZ-HV4&t=3s

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2016/07/0 ... -holds.cnn

https://theconversation.com/the-giant-s ... ent-120258
Scholars and policymakers often disagree about the impact that NAFTA has had on economic growth and job generation in the U.S. That impact, they say, is not always easy to disentangle from other economic, social and political factors that have influenced U.S. growth.

It is true that leaders of all three countries did tear down trade barriers and insert effective protections for corporations and investment. But critics like Perot were right – and Clinton was wrong – about the warning on jobs.

The Economic Policy Institute, a left-leaning think tank, concluded that the U.S. lost about 850,000 jobs from 1993 to 2013 as a result of NAFTA and that number has undoubtedly risen. And the “social progress as well as economic growth” in relation to the agreement never seemed to appear. Despite strong productivity growth in U.S. and Mexican manufacturing, real wages sank by 17% in Mexico from 1994 to 2011 and slid in the U.S. as well.

In key manufacturing industries, such as the auto industry, NAFTA has had a clear impact. Global auto producers built 11 new assembly plants in North America from 2009 to 2017. All but three were sited in Mexico – even though they all primarily made vehicles for the U.S. market.

As a result, Mexican employment in the sector has soared, while American auto jobs have declined. Last year, Mexico had almost the same number of people working in its motor vehicle industry as the U.S. did, with about 800,000 in each country. Mexican employment in this sector has almost doubled since 2007 while U.S. employment has slightly slipped.

An even more significant impact has been pushing down on U.S. manufacturing wages as a result of suppressed wages in Mexico due largely to a lack of independent unions in the export sector. With the threat of shifting production to Mexico a factor, real autoworker wages in the U.S. plummeted 26% from 2002 to 2013 and have stagnated since.

Ultimately, it’s not just manufacturing workers who are affected by the “sucking sound.” Families and entire communities can be devastated when a worker loses a job as a result.

So will the new NAFTA – the United States Mexico Canada Agreement – end the sucking of jobs south?

Not likely. Mexico has a new reform-minded president, but the obstacles are daunting. They include powerful and often corrupt company unions in Mexico who profit off the status quo and employers who have become accustomed to rock-bottom wages.

What Americans need is trade between the U.S. and Mexico that benefits people in both countries. To do that, labor rights need to be harmonized to the best standards in North America, not slide to the lowest. Workers and communities throughout North America should be the beneficiaries of expanded trade, not its victims.

While Mexico has pledged and passed positive labor reforms, it doesn’t have the capacity to implement them. An important lesson from NAFTA is promises often evaporate once a deal goes into effect. The original NAFTA included similar promises but failed to deliver.

Americans have heard enough of Perot’s “giant sucking sound” over the last 25 years. What they need now is broadly shared prosperity. I’m sure that will sound a lot better to the ear.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:27 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:04 pm

I still have that tilt.

you meant “hope”.

So you don't feel like talking about the war, then don't. You only disrupt & add nothing anyway.
My "demand" was playing off afan's use of the term & you know it, but are too dishonest to let it go as that.
I discuss the war with my friends all the time. We just keep politics out of it & respect each others opinions.
That's apparently not possible here. Despite your attempts to sidetrack this thread, we drew rasheed back into the mix & he brought a lot of new substance into the discussion.
You are lying now or you lied before.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:09 am

If you & afan want to hear more from him, the subscription is free.

Just go to https://silentpartner.substack.com/ & sign up.
...of course the CIA & FBI will then monitor you.
:D
No, I've already seen enough to know I don't want to go down a substack rathole.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:38 am

The American working class can get back there if we can get more jobs back. Most of the paychecks cashed in our grocery store every Fri were from UAW workers. That was cut in half when Chrysler was purchased by Daimler-Benz & they shut down the largest Chrysler plant in the USA which had been there 50 years. Made in America. Protectionism. Targeted tariffs & duties. Energy production incentives & exports. Subsidized ag exports. Hell yes ! Hearing Jamie Dimon whine on behalf of the EUroburghers brings a tear to my eye.
We lost jobs because labor production was moved to Europe? We broke unions then closed down shops in order to move jobs to Europe?
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:32 am

We lost jobs because labor production was moved to Europe? We broke unions then closed down shops in order to move jobs to Europe?
One should be careful of what to wish for - we don't have the people NOW to fill all the jobs available. Where is the labor pool for the wish list of jobs OS is talking about?
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:41 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:32 am

One should be careful of what to wish for - we don't have the people NOW to fill all the jobs available. Where is the labor pool for the wish list of jobs OS is talking about?
Old Salt’s economic ecosystem disappeared like a lot of places. These jobs weren’t moved to Europe and most businesses combinations that took place didn’t involve European companies acquiring US companies and then moving jobs. In the auto industry, our biggest problem was poor management. After the companies were on the ball of their @ssess, someone threw them a lifeline….. my cousin was at Chrysler then Daimler-MB before landing at Intel. Good chunk of my family worked the the industry. One uncle in particular followed jobs from
Midwest down to Alabama. Old Salt mad a Europeans because once the checks stopped being cashed, times got harder……join the club.

Maybe these jobs will come back: https://wanderonwards.co/jobs-for-ameri ... in-europe/
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”