Trump's Russian Collusion

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
njbill

Re: IMPEACHMENT ... Constitutional method to vacate an election

Post by njbill »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:04 pm She was more or less a protege of Mark Sanford...
Does she like to hike?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:04 pm Having lived in SC for the last quarter century, I can assure you that Nikki Haley is not exactly a moderate of any kind. She was to the right of most of the Rs in the general assembly here... She was more or less a protege of Mark Sanford...

She is quite polite in comparison to Trump, and what she did to get the legislature to remove the Confederate battle flag from atop its perch in front of the State House was to be commended.

However, she oversaw a government that exposed a majority of SSNs for SC citizens in a huge data breach of the SC Department of Revenue, and generally mismanaged several parts of government, including the rather too large prison system here.

The prisons in SC are 4th world. Beyond shameful. A stain on SC, and a stain on this country. Of course no one discusses this because no one on boards like this knows the people inside, almost all of whom are black and indigent.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

A smug, pedantic, divisive, screechy Harvard law school professor...what's not to love!!! The attack ads write themselves. :lol:
I agree with you. Dershowitz was and is a smug, pedantic, divisive, screechy Harvard law school professor...but what's not to love??? Obviously you've found many reasons to love him. Go ahead and love him all you wish.I'll take a pass. IMO, ever since he joined AILES NEWS, his imperious attitude has even gotten worse.

CHACUN etc.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

njbill wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:14 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:04 pm She was more or less a protege of Mark Sanford...
Does she like to hike?
:lol:
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Of course no one discusses this because no one on boards like this knows the people inside, almost all of whom are black and indigent.
...and of course no one on boards like would know that, since no one on boards like this read. ;)
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wahoomurf wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:23 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:14 pm
Does she like to hike?
:lol:
Or Jazz?
“I wish you would!”
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

I was pleasantly surprised by the bravery exhibited by some key Republicans. Yesterday, Congresswoman Cheney, Senator Romney, and Senator McConnell condemned people that excoriated Colonel Vindman for honoring his oath. It was was for me, a beacon of hope. I was chuffed when Sen. McConnell stated that it is wrong to doubt the patriotism of ANY and ALL the people that participated in the preliminary phase of the impeachment process.

IMHO, an indication that POLITY could possibly re-enter the political discussion.

I’m not naïve enough to imagine any of those Republicans will "suffer a sea change"*** in terms of their ideas and ideals.
But it’s refreshing to hear elected officials counter the hatred spewed by Ingraham, Duffy, Dershowitz and other members of BREITBART/AILES NEWS.

SURSUM CORDA.

*** I apologize if any folks find those words offensive
. They are from Ariel's song in THE TEMPEST. I understand the FL brain police are intent on banning any quote or allusion found within the Shakespeare Canon. While I am fully aware that I risk being sent down for 4 or 5 days.I nonetheless feel that the phrase was apropos.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:13 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:39 pm Love to hear how you'd cut 50% of federal spending... :roll:

Sure!

Our military is currently stationed in 170 Countries. For reference sake, there are only 192 countries in the United Nations.

Call me crazy, but I am thinking we could cut back on the military budget by about 50% and probably not see any issue other than many military folks would need to find work in the private sector (win win for everyone, especially those families who put their lives at risk on bs wars).

Second, I would means-test social security and immediately raise the retirement age to 72, with some pegged indicator of age demographics (as we age longer, then social security retirement benefits kick in later).

Third, I'd offer citizenship on two categories: one for people who can not pay, and one for people who can invest $20 million and more. Canada does it.

Fourth, I'd eliminate the following useless cabinets and all employees: Energy, Education (education is local anyway), Commerce (bs kleptocracy), Homeland Security, Department of Interior, Department of Agriculture, and EPA.

I'm getting close.... You said you are a small government republican; are you?
Impeachment? The topic is fine. Just on a thread where folks who care about this can go.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:13 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:39 pm Love to hear how you'd cut 50% of federal spending... :roll:

Sure!

Our military is currently stationed in 170 Countries. For reference sake, there are only 192 countries in the United Nations.

Call me crazy, but I am thinking we could cut back on the military budget by about 50% and probably not see any issue other than many military folks would need to find work in the private sector (win win for everyone, especially those families who put their lives at risk on bs wars).

Second, I would means-test social security and immediately raise the retirement age to 72, with some pegged indicator of age demographics (as we age longer, then social security retirement benefits kick in later).

Third, I'd offer citizenship on two categories: one for people who can not pay, and one for people who can invest $20 million and more. Canada does it.

Fourth, I'd eliminate the following useless cabinets and all employees: Energy, Education (education is local anyway), Commerce (bs kleptocracy), Homeland Security, Department of Interior, Department of Agriculture, and EPA.

I'm getting close.... You said you are a small government republican; are you?
Well, that's some list, good luck getting 10% that through with a GOP dominated Congress and President (oh yeah, we just had that)

That said, though, you'd still probably be only down about 25-30% at most.
You forgot stuff like Medicare, Veteran's benefits, interest, etc

I'm for smart, efficient government not stupid government, nor am I for small simply for the sake of small.
Just smarter, more efficient.

Yes, let's move this discussion to thread on financial condition...this one is for impeachment.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

A smug, pedantic, divisive, screechy Harvard law school professor...what's not to love!!! The attack ads write themselves. :lol:
I agree with you. Dershowitz was and is a smug, pedantic, divisive, screechy Harvard law school professor...but what's not to love??? Obviously you've found many reasons to love him. Go ahead and love him all you wish.I'll take a pass. IMO, ever since he joined AILES NEWS, his imperious attitude has even gotten worse.

CHACUN etc.

I actually can not recall a time when I said I "love" Alan Dershowitz...could you point me to that? Don't bother, you'll never find me saying that. :lol:

From what I have read about him, I guess I find him smug, pedantic, and divisive (or, to be fair, it would not surprise me if he was). And I'd call him screechy, but I am not sure I have ever heard him talk! All I know of him was he defended OJ.

Warren fits the bill on all four, and I have heard her talk often. Too often. And if she's your gal Sal, bonne-chance! You'll need it!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

RedFromMI wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:04 pm Having lived in SC for the last quarter century, I can assure you that Nikki Haley is not exactly a moderate of any kind. She was to the right of most of the Rs in the general assembly here... She was more or less a protege of Mark Sanford...

She is quite polite in comparison to Trump, and what she did to get the legislature to remove the Confederate battle flag from atop its perch in front of the State House was to be commended.

However, she oversaw a government that exposed a majority of SSNs for SC citizens in a huge data breach of the SC Department of Revenue, and generally mismanaged several parts of government, including the rather too large prison system here.
Red, you are undoubtedly far better informed than I am on this topic, but I'm not hearing anything particularly not 'moderate' in your third para. I don't know of any Governor who has a spotless record of management always being successful. Unless she pressed hard and cut funding on IT security, hard to see a data breach, for instance, as being a Governor's 'fault'. An 'over large' prison system could be said of most any state, right?

In addition to Confederate flag, she also reacted very well to the Charleston church massacre, indeed that community reacted rather extraordinarily, which I don't think would have been the case had Haley been a different sort of southern Republican in power. Most of the credit goes to the leaders of that community and the victims, but I do think there has to be an environment that made that possible.

I'm simply saying that on the GOP spectrum, she falls in the moderate wing.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:45 pm

CHACUN etc.

I actually can not recall a time when I said I "love" Alan Dershowitz...could you point me to that? Don't bother, you'll never find me saying that. :lol:

From what I have read about him, I guess I find him smug, pedantic, and divisive (or, to be fair, it would not surprise me if he was). And I'd call him screechy, but I am not sure I have ever heard him talk! All I know of him was he defended OJ.

Warren fits the bill on all four, and I have heard her talk often. Too often. And if she's your gal Sal, bonne-chance! You'll need it!
Really, you haven't seen Dershowitz throughout the Mueller investigation?
He's been quite the regular on Fox, appeared quite a bit on CNN as well.

Bright guy, but a huge Trump apologist with an immense ego, arrogant to beat the band.

But we get it, you don't like Warren.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:57 pm

CHACUN etc.

Bright guy, but a huge Trump apologist with an immense ego, arrogant to beat the band.

I need to put in my bio "I DO NOT WATCH FOX". I've certainly seen it, and I think highly of Martha MacCallum because of a mutual connection, but I'm really not much of a TV news hound.

I have never seen a Sean Hannity show, not even accidentally; I know who he is though. I do watch CNN on occasion, but I have never heard Alan Dershowitz speak of be interviewed; I know who he is though. And for sure I have zero idea what his connection is to Trump. I thought he defended OJ, but that is all I know of him.

I watch ESPN for the most part, first thing in the morning, and last thing before bed, assuming I am bored.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:04 pm

CHACUN etc.

I need to put in my bio "I DO NOT WATCH FOX". I've certainly seen it, and I think highly of Martha MacCallum because of a mutual connection, but I'm really not much of a TV news hound.

I have never seen a Sean Hannity show, not even accidentally; I know who he is though. I do watch CNN on occasion, but I have never heard Alan Dershowitz speak of be interviewed; I know who he is though. And for sure I have zero idea what his connection is to Trump. I thought he defended OJ, but that is all I know of him.

I watch ESPN for the most part, first thing in the morning, and last thing before bed, assuming I am bored.
ok. He was on CNN a heck of a lot.
But if you're not tuned in at all to the news commentary, probably explains some of your views.

so, where are you hearing/watching Warren?
She ain't on ESPN.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:09 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:04 pm

CHACUN etc.

ok. He was on CNN a heck of a lot.
But if you're not tuned in at all to the news commentary, probably explains some of your views.

so, where are you hearing/watching Warren?
She ain't on ESPN.
Probably NESN
“I wish you would!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

I hope Bolton wears a four-foot necktie when he testifies.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
tech37

Post by tech37 »

"Just as they did after the release of the Mueller report, Democrats now hope televised hearings will convince Americans that the president must be impeached. It didn't work out before. Now, the Suffolk poll suggests Democrats should be cautious as they try again."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... ment-drive
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

From the Post:

"A federal judge has scheduled for 4 p.m. Thursday a hearing on the case of former Trump national security aide Charles Kupperman, who has sued asking the courts to decide whether he must comply with Congress’s subpoena or a White House order not to testify in an impeachment inquiry.

The hearing had initially been set for 3 p.m. The Department of Justice asked to move it to Friday because of a conflict with the hearing about the testimony of former White House counsel Donald McGahn. But U.S. District Judge Richard J. Leon agreed only to move the hearing by one hour."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

tech37 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:27 pm "Just as they did after the release of the Mueller report, Democrats now hope televised hearings will convince Americans that the president must be impeached. It didn't work out before. Now, the Suffolk poll suggests Democrats should be cautious as they try again."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... ment-drive
Small poll, but indeed televised hearings represent serious risks for all involved.

The Dems should maintain a serious, non grandstanding posture and, better yet, do most of the questioning through a single counsel on point though it's probably a good bet that the latter will not be done in the House hearings. Maybe in the Senate.

There's a series of very, very credible folks who have very damning stories to tell.
The public will have the benefit of being able to read the various depositions in advance, and undoubtedly will be 'helped' by the media in the most relevant sections.

The Dems should for the most part let the evidence and these testimonies speak for themselves as they apparently will not need coaxing ala Mueller's reticence.

The R's risk great shame if they attack or otherwise grandstand with these witnesses. The R House members may well come across very, very badly in this exercise as the posturing for Trump's eyes, audience of 1, will hurt their own credibility by comparison to the witnesses.

so, risk all around.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Rod landed the plane. Nobody followed the money. In a very important criminal investigation, nobody did Job #1. Fine. We got played. Not good enough for Trump. He took another big bite. Now it’s not up to a Republican.
Last edited by Trinity on Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump

Return to “POLITICS”