D1 Men Rankings

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: D1 Men Rankings

Post by Farfromgeneva »

pcowlax wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:53 pm Something I said on D3 board also applies here I think. There are indeed numerous ways to rank teams and really there isn’t one “right” way. “Best” (who would win if they played heads up) vs “Most deserving” (who has the best resume, even if you think they might not actually beat another team under consideration head to head, is the eternal debate that will never be settled. Above all else however I think the committee should always have one primary directive and that is not to leave out a team they think has a legitimate shot of winning the tournament. There aren’t really many of those and they should always find a way to include them.
There’s a million and one examples of selection groups not making the the right calls judgement wise. This is all BS because within 2-3yrs they’ll be claiming SOS and other features they reject and disparage now. Most of the big program fans are full of ahit as it is and will always play heuristic games to think they’re helping their own cause.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:37 pm
RURICK wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:14 pm Everyone should take into consideration that at the end of the 2020 season, several so called knowledgeable people were saying syracuse was the best team in the country. Since that time, those same people have had to justify Syracuse even being allowed in this year's tourney. despite blowout losses, Syracuse has remained in the top ten. So, what happens if Syracuse plays and loses to robert morris? Will syracuse still get in the tourney? If cuse gets in the tourney regardless of a ROMO matchup, that would be an indication that the knowledgeable people are completely biased towards Syracuse and the ACC. Finally, someone please offer me an explanation as to why virginia leapfrogged RU from 7th to 5th and RU dropped from 5th to 6th in the coaches poll when neither team even played in the previous week.
weren't you the guy that said the coach's poll had the most knowledgeable people and the one we should watch?

so we're weighing the 2020 season? that'd be the one where the b1g was a pedestrian (for them) 23-16 out of conference? that's what we have to go by, right?
Have you observed any thoughtfulness or intellectual honesty out of said poster that would indicate they care about logic or rational honest dialogue?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RURICK wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:46 pm There are not only a variety of ways to evaluate teams but there are also a variety of ways to slant the criteria to get your favorite team and/or conferemce represented in the tourney. The only way to satisfy everyone and not question the process is to double the bids and play another round. Then the perceived better leagues can get more teams in the tourney and the schools can settle it on the field. I think that would attract more viewership. Face it, the larger schools, especially in the Big Ten, have little interest in lacrosse. It is football and basketball and every other sport is considered a minor/secondary sport. i think my suggestion is simple and allow lacrosse to grow in the country.
Acting like a little b...beat someone of consequence and then talk but until then shut the f up. It is a certifiable fact not opinion like some idiotic or like to conflate with data or empirically skeptical logic That some records are built on thin air and some are built on actually beating decent teams.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:56 pm It's supposed to be a snapshot of who the best teams are at the moment that the rankings are assembled, isn't it?
Not necessarily... I suspect that some people (hint, quint) rank teams on where they think they will end up at the end of the season.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

RURICK wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:46 pm There are not only a variety of ways to evaluate teams but there are also a variety of ways to slant the criteria to get your favorite team and/or conferemce represented in the tourney. The only way to satisfy everyone and not question the process is to double the bids and play another round. Then the perceived better leagues can get more teams in the tourney and the schools can settle it on the field. I think that would attract more viewership. Face it, the larger schools, especially in the Big Ten, have little interest in lacrosse. It is football and basketball and every other sport is considered a minor/secondary sport. i think my suggestion is simple and allow lacrosse to grow in the country.
well, problem solved!! 10 or 15 or however many years ago, conferences created conference tourneys to crown their champions. and take their autobids. there ya go.

nc$$ tourney starts during conf tourney week. which is this week. can be caught on all manner of streams and broadcast networks. everyone should enjoy.

as far as the nc$$ label... we have explained that the nc$$ to date does not allow this level of tourney inclusion. your idea would seem to have no traction with indianapolis, but you never know, drop them a line. but the lacrosse universe has no say in the matter.

if anything, we've added some teams since the tourney was at 16. it could possibly bump an at large or 2 in the near future to match the growth.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”