Coaching Carousel

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:07 pm
glaxer24 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:03 pm Simkins and Dowd to join Tumolo at Army as assistants :D
Will the star power of the staff aid in recruiting players? How do you think Army does in the Patriot next season? Think they’ll challenge Loyola for supremacy in the coming years?
somewhat, 3rd, nope
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:57 pm
glaxer24 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:03 pm Simkins and Dowd to join Tumolo at Army as assistants :D
And thus it begins....
whats that
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Will the star power of the staff aid in recruiting players? How do you think Army does in the Patriot next season? Think they’ll challenge Loyola for supremacy in the coming years?
Did it draw anybody to Wagner?
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

If you’re going to West Point you’re going to be a cadet, to be an army officer. You’re not going because of who the lacrosse coach is. Lacrosse is extra
DMac

Post by DMac »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:08 pm
seacoaster wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:29 pm
Yes.
Third or Fourth.
Nope, not for another three or four anyway.

Recruiting to the Service Academies is harder than and different from other "colleges." The star power of the staff will help, I think. But you still have to get the kid behind the idea of training to become part of the officer class of the armed services. This really, it seems to me, reduces the pool that can and frankly should be interested in you.

I remember watching the 2004 Men's NCAA final between Navy and Syracuse, and being just astonished not only that Navy had made the final, but that they were hanging, goal for goal, with Syracuse (which featured, among other excellent players, Michael Powell). A service academy competing for the title on Memorial Day.
The financial incentives of a service academy are hard to ignore, even though many folks will say that's not a great reason to attend. The typical service academy grad has money in the bank when they graduate and no debt. On the other hand, if you attend a private university with a similar academic profile, you could easily be more than $100,000 in the red. Also on the financial ledger is the career and earning potential of a service academy grad. What private sector employer wouldn't be interested in an Army alum who was a varsity athlete and had five years of intense leadership and accountability experience post-college? That resume goes right to the top of the stack. Even if the prospective student-athlete isn't thinking about the cash equation, plenty of parents are.
Agree with all, CO, the catch is the kid has to be the right kind of person to go there otherwise they're going to wash out. Quite a drastic change in lifestyle for most. The benefits are huge including a future that holds opportunities and adventures you'll find nowhere else. My favorite HS teammate went the Naval Academy route, ended up being the Captain of the lacrosse team, went on to become a pilot (that aint easy), stayed in and retired after travelling the world. Real hard to beat the academy route for the right person.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Idontknowtherules wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:30 pm
If you’re going to West Point you’re going to be a cadet, to be an army officer. You’re not going because of who the lacrosse coach is. Lacrosse is extra

You are right. As I always say "Going to the Service Academies ain't College! It's an entirely different calling."
However, if you choose a Service Academy and you're a Lacrosse player with solid to above average ability, having a coaching staff of Michelle Tumolo and Katrina Dowd as your coaches is a real nice bonus.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Agree, Larry. These two Ducks are wading into a whole new environment as well, quite a different place to navigate than Oregon (I was pulling big time for these two when they were out there). Lot of spit and polish, rules and regulations, and pomp and circumstance. That kind of stuff is a real eye opener and quite an adjustment for those who have never been around it/experienced it. I'm confident they'll embrace it (hard to not get caught up in it when you understand the why of it). A golden opportunity for these two in an absolutely gorgeous and impressive setting. Am pulling for them, GO ARMY!!!
Oh, and I miss topcat225 (pretty sure that was the number)....congrats to you and daughter.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:13 am Agree, Larry. These two Ducks are wading into a whole new environment as well, quite a different place to navigate than Oregon (I was pulling big time for these two when they were out there). Lot of spit and polish, rules and regulations, and pomp and circumstance. That kind of stuff is a real eye opener and quite an adjustment for those who have never been around it/experienced it. I'm confident they'll embrace it (hard to not get caught up in it when you understand the why of it). A golden opportunity for these two in an absolutely gorgeous and impressive setting. Am pulling for them, GO ARMY!!!
Oh, and I miss topcat225 (pretty sure that was the number)....congrats to you and daughter.
GO NAVY, Beat Army!......just had to do it... :D
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:36 am
DMac wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:13 am Agree, Larry. These two Ducks are wading into a whole new environment as well, quite a different place to navigate than Oregon (I was pulling big time for these two when they were out there). Lot of spit and polish, rules and regulations, and pomp and circumstance. That kind of stuff is a real eye opener and quite an adjustment for those who have never been around it/experienced it. I'm confident they'll embrace it (hard to not get caught up in it when you understand the why of it). A golden opportunity for these two in an absolutely gorgeous and impressive setting. Am pulling for them, GO ARMY!!!
I'll never forget I was at one of the service academies for their senior day and they were announcing what the graduating class will be doing after leaving the academy - "Sally is graduating with a degree in nuclear engineering, will based in Germany and will be flying fighter jets..." and this wasn't the exception but pretty much the standard. It really hit me what a commitment these kids make. I hate to admit but I was thinking to myself - is my kid studying hard enough? :lol:
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Dempsey Arsenault new volunteer assistant coach for the Crimson.

https://twitter.com/harvardwlax/status/ ... 01930?s=21
OuttaNowhereWregget

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:09 pm Dempsey Arsenault new volunteer assistant coach for the Crimson.

https://twitter.com/harvardwlax/status/ ... 01930?s=21
hmmm...that's the same job Ms. Treanor took after her playin days wuz ended... Only difference being the volunteer part. BC next stop for Demps?
Laxinfordays

Post by Laxinfordays »

When oh when will spallina announce hilliers replacement
OuttaNowhereWregget

Penn State adds volunteer assistant coach

Nittany Lions adds former UNC standout Molly Hendrick to coaching staff.

https://gopsusports.com/news/2021/9/6/w ... staff.aspx
OuttaNowhereWregget

Penn adds Kate Goldstein as volunteer assistant coach.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:11 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:36 am
I'll never forget I was at one of the service academies for their senior day and they were announcing what the graduating class will be doing after leaving the academy - "Sally is graduating with a degree in nuclear engineering, will based in Germany and will be flying fighter jets..." and this wasn't the exception but pretty much the standard. It really hit me what a commitment these kids make. I hate to admit but I was thinking to myself - is my kid studying hard enough? :lol:
Had a very similar experience hearing senior day accolades one time at Bryn Mawr College
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

And the Jen Adams coaching tree grows and grows. Kady Glynn at Richmond after 2 years at Monmouth

https://richmondspiders.com/story.aspx? ... e=9/1/2021
OuttaNowhereWregget

Halle!

Halle Majorana Named Assistant Coach for Hofstra Pride.

Way to go, Halle! Much success!

https://gohofstra.com/news/2021/9/7/wom ... coach.aspx
OuttaNowhereWregget

Coastal Carolina

Erin Ebert and Samantha Giacolone will join Coastal Carolina coaching staff.

https://goccusports.com/news/2021/9/7/w ... staff.aspx
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:55 pm And the Jen Adams coaching tree grows and grows. Kady Glynn at Richmond after 2 years at Monmouth

https://richmondspiders.com/story.aspx? ... e=9/1/2021

Does playing for someone make one part of a coaching tree? Kady played at Loyola. Did she coach there at all?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:30 pm Does playing for someone make one part of a coaching tree? Kady played at Loyola. Did she coach there at all?
nope

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”