Transfer Portal 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Transfer Portal 2025

Post by HopFan16 »

Henpecked wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:40 am Does anybody have information about Koleton Marquis from Hopkins? I saw him play at Don Bosco a couple years back and he looked like a can't miss recruit. He was a top 50 IL recruit and barely saw the field in his first two years at Hopkins. Can't understand why some team isn't bringing this guy in. He is only a sophomore and has three years of eligibility left from what I can see.
He’s playing Senior A box up in Canada right now so it’s probably not easy to take visits. Might take awhile to make a decision. He’ll have options
hofpride

Post by hofpride »

I am sure mother Hofstra would welcome him with open arms
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 10:42 am
Henpecked wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:40 am Does anybody have information about Koleton Marquis from Hopkins? I saw him play at Don Bosco a couple years back and he looked like a can't miss recruit. He was a top 50 IL recruit and barely saw the field in his first two years at Hopkins. Can't understand why some team isn't bringing this guy in. He is only a sophomore and has three years of eligibility left from what I can see.
He’s playing Senior A box up in Canada right now so it’s probably not easy to take visits. Might take awhile to make a decision. He’ll have options
Possibly Rutgers?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:23 pm
Possibly Rutgers?
Seems academically inclined, so probably a higher profile academic school
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Jake Fox (JHU alum) reportedly had a big influence. I am concerned a out why he is transferring.

Post by 1766 »

norcalhop wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:35 am
Possibly Rutgers?
Rutgers is ranked #40 in the country as a university in the last USNWR listing which is 6th in the Big Ten I believe. It's not Yale, but it's not San Diego St. either.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

1766 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:15 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:35 am
Possibly Rutgers?
Rutgers is ranked #40 in the country as a university in the last USNWR listing which is 6th in the Big Ten I believe. It's not Yale, but it's not San Diego St. either.
Why Rutgers over an Ivy, Duke, or Notre Dame if the choice exists? Maybe if he's guaranteed playing time and gets a full scholarship
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Former Siena defenseman Brian Mack is transferring to @RUmlax for his graduate season, a source tells @Inside_Lacrosse.

A First-Team All-MAAC pole his senior season, Mack caused 30 turnovers and scooped 35 groundballs in '24.

https://x.com/kevbrown89/status/1807377 ... EO2hFStaxg
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:28 pm Jake Fox (JHU alum) reportedly had a big influence. I am concerned a out why he is transferring.
May I ask why you use the word "concerned"? Here's why that term is surprising to me:
- The move was pretty widely predicted - there just didn't appear to be a way forward for significant playing time. He got caught in the wash of a heavily veteran unit this past season and he is an attackman in field lacrosse - not a midfielder so with Melendez back - Chauvette on the left and Ayers a more likely candidate to run at the x spot on the field - he probably didn't like his chances in '25.
- If anybody suggests this is a casualty of Crawley leaving - I would just logically put forth that Crawley had major input into the decision that Marquis did not step onto the field in a game for one second in 2024
- This is the problem with rosters of 55+ - it's the reason why the portal (with not as much influence) will stay alive in lacrosse - we can talk all we want about the value of the education - the benefits of belonging to a team etc etc. but the bottom line is if you put in DI athlete work - most desperately want to play.
- "Concerned" might imply (I don't know - that's why I am asking) that there's a thought it's an issue other than simply playing time - the counter to that thought is that very few (Wong and now Marquis) have left in the past two years - despite the composition of the team on the field remaining quite consistent - I believe I counted 21 players that did not see the field this past year. It would almost seem you could suggest the opposite - program culture is keeping players at Homewood.
- Not surprised he has a relationship with Jake Fox - somewhat ironically another very high ranked recruit that never found a home on the field (Ranked #36 by IL his year and scored 3 goals in 4 years) - both from the same area and involved in Haudenosaunee Nationals I think.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:44 am
OCanada wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:28 pm Jake Fox (JHU alum) reportedly had a big influence. I am concerned a out why he is transferring.
May I ask why you use the word "concerned"? Here's why that term is surprising to me:
- The move was pretty widely predicted - there just didn't appear to be a way forward for significant playing time. He got caught in the wash of a heavily veteran unit this past season and he is an attackman in field lacrosse - not a midfielder so with Melendez back - Chauvette on the left and Ayers a more likely candidate to run at the x spot on the field - he probably didn't like his chances in '25.
- If anybody suggests this is a casualty of Crawley leaving - I would just logically put forth that Crawley had major input into the decision that Marquis did not step onto the field in a game for one second in 2024
- This is the problem with rosters of 55+ - it's the reason why the portal (with not as much influence) will stay alive in lacrosse - we can talk all we want about the value of the education - the benefits of belonging to a team etc etc. but the bottom line is if you put in DI athlete work - most desperately want to play.
- "Concerned" might imply (I don't know - that's why I am asking) that there's a thought it's an issue other than simply playing time - the counter to that thought is that very few (Wong and now Marquis) have left in the past two years - despite the composition of the team on the field remaining quite consistent - I believe I counted 21 players that did not see the field this past year. It would almost seem you could suggest the opposite - program culture is keeping players at Homewood.
- Not surprised he has a relationship with Jake Fox - somewhat ironically another very high ranked recruit that never found a home on the field (Ranked #36 by IL his year and scored 3 goals in 4 years) - both from the same area and involved in Haudenosaunee Nationals I think.
I don't know squat about this situation but hearing #36 IL ranking, should be taken with a grain of salt. While everyone knows the can't miss +/- top 10-15 players, The rankings get much more subjective in any given year as you go up from there. Some kids are missed or over ranked. Some never improve from high school. IL has been notorious for missing great players from outside the hot beds.....Some get injured. To say the rankings are inexact, is generous.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

blue angels wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:38 am
I don't know squat about this situation but hearing #36 IL ranking, should be taken with a grain of salt. While everyone knows the can't miss +/- top 10-15 players, The rankings get much more subjective in any given year as you go up from there. Some kids are missed or over ranked. Some never improve from high school. IL has been notorious for missing great players from outside the hot beds.....Some get injured. To say the rankings are inexact, is generous.
The Haudenosaunee Nationals reference is precisely why i am concerned. For more than 30 years Indian Country has wanted to diversify the schools Indian players go including a few friends. I don’t know why he left. The scenario is certainly possible though not the only one. If that is the reason he left no problem. If it is for another reason it depends on the reason and might be problematic.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

OCanada wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:06 am
blue angels wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:38 am
The Haudenosaunee Nationals reference is precisely why i am concerned. For more than 30 years Indian Country has wanted to diversify the schools Indian players go including a few friends. I don’t know why he left. The scenario is certainly possible though not the only one. If that is the reason he left no problem. If it is for another reason it depends on the reason and might be problematic.
That diversification is a great goal, but maybe the fit is just wrong at HOP. Tough academics, the wrong social dynamic, or being in a sketchy urban environment where the Baltimore No Go zone is just outside the school perimeter could all play a part. Hope he finds the correct fit.........
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Or he just barely saw the field and wants to go somewhere where he'll play. It's not that complicated. I've read St. Joe's. He'd probably start on attack there. You got to love the painfully uninformed speculation though. Don't worry, the best and brightest of FanLax are on the case.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I could see Koleton Marquis teaming up well with LaCalandra in Taylor Wray's system.
Wray's system though needs a strong left hander at Attack, which is why he had moved Levi Anderson there.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:17 am Or he just barely saw the field and wants to go somewhere where he'll play. It's not that complicated. I've read St. Joe's. He'd probably start on attack there. You got to love the painfully uninformed speculation though. Don't worry, the best and brightest of FanLax are on the case.
Certainly the most likely reason. Assuming a 17 year old Indian lacrosse player is not really any different than the average white lacrosse player can prove to be a bad assumption.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”