Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:46 am If the freshmen and Marquis/English are as good as HF16 thinks they are it's hard to imagine some of them won't wally pipp the now senior midfielders out of jobs particularly on man up.
Why "particularly" on man-up? With the core of passers and outside shooters Hopkins has the man-up should be effective - that's not to say someone like a Marquis or H. Chauvette can't contribute.
I know you love to bring out the Gehrig/Pipp story every month or so but unlikely to happen so set your expectations - the upperclassmen are not the Keystone Cops and they have 2-3 years with PM and an extra year with JC. They know the terminology, they know where to go on the field, they know where teammates are going to be more than the freshmen, they won't suffer from any leap in competition potential intimidation. So unlike last year - where Keogh's and DeSimone's departure opened up spots in the mid-field for a bull moose like Collison to come in and seize - that situation does not exist - especially if English is healthy for the entire year. If there is a Collison amongst the Sorichetti/Iler/Rawson etc. they will find a way to the field but unless there's an injury - I don't see anybody getting Pipp'ed.
coda

Post by coda »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:07 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:46 am If the freshmen and Marquis/English are as good as HF16 thinks they are it's hard to imagine some of them won't wally pipp the now senior midfielders out of jobs particularly on man up.
Why "particularly" on man-up? With the core of passers and outside shooters Hopkins has the man-up should be effective - that's not to say someone like a Marquis or H. Chauvette can't contribute.
I know you love to bring out the Gehrig/Pipp story every month or so but unlikely to happen so set your expectations - the upperclassmen are not the Keystone Cops and they have 2-3 years with PM and an extra year with JC. They know the terminology, they know where to go on the field, they know where teammates are going to be more than the freshmen, they won't suffer from any leap in competition potential intimidation. So unlike last year - where Keogh's and DeSimone's departure opened up spots in the mid-field for a bull moose like Collison to come in and seize - that situation does not exist - especially if English is healthy for the entire year. If there is a Collison amongst the Sorichetti/Iler/Rawson etc. they will find a way to the field but unless there's an injury - I don't see anybody getting Pipp'ed.
The path to playing for freshmen are talent and opportunity. Degnon coming back will certainly cut the expectations for Chauvette. Both were ranked near the top as lefty shooters last year. Only difference being Degnon was one of the best in college and Chauvette in HS. Chauvetter has the talent, not sure there is an opportunity for a large role.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:07 pm
And also,

Wally Pipp got Wally Pipped by Lou Gehrig.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

I half expect 06 to pull an all-nighter when the phones start ringing at midnight.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51 — not sure we should entertain the insanity from jhu06 any longer. The guy just does not operate in good faith. Reasonable people can disagree about this stuff but he's created an unsolvable problem about the midfield that he knows has no solution that'll satisfy him. "What do they do if the goalie gets hurt" — yet another "concern" concocted for the express purpose of handwringing.

Not to mention he's acting like he's never seen English play before, like he's just some kid I discovered and we've got to take my word for it. He's decided all the upperclass middies suck but apparently deducing himself that English might be okay at this lacrosse thing is a bridge too far. Lol

At this point I think it's clearly worse than the Black Hole. I know, blasphemy, but good ol BH hasn't been as bad lately
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Noteworthy class of 2025 rankings from IL's top 50:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/62034

#30 Josh Marcus
#42 Sawyer English

Sounds like Josh had an injury and dropped a couple spots. Now ranked the #3 goalie in the class. NLF however still has him in the top 10 overall. The NLF article says "his recruitment is purported to be wide open" — in other words not necessarily a shoo-in for Homewood.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:55 pm Noteworthy class of 2025 rankings from IL's top 50:
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/62034

#30 Josh Marcus
#42 Sawyer English

Sounds like Josh had an injury and dropped a couple spots. Now ranked the #3 goalie in the class. NLF however still has him in the top 10 overall. The NLF article says "his recruitment is purported to be wide open" — in other words not necessarily a shoo-in for Homewood.
curious to see if we compete with the UVAs, Dukes, NDs and UMds for the "top" kids this year. the staff has done a great job recruiting (just look at the roster), but we haven't really been playing at the high end of the market. i think that changes with this class, but i'm not entirely sure.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:44 pm At this point I think it's clearly worse than the Black Hole. I know, blasphemy, but good ol BH hasn't been as bad lately
I prefer the term "Event Horizon" or "Singularity."
To get the top kid, you pretty much have to give out a full ride.
My understanding was that PM had no concern whatsoever with regards to IL rankings.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I don't think a coach should really pay attention to rankings but you still know who the better players are - a list is just a list. Milliman certainly wants better players - who wouldn't want that monster LSM from Spalding for example - send Melendez down to loiter around?.

Anyway -- the reclassification of David Disque means we have one up on the board - Apparently he was hurt for most of '23 - I'll have to get used to thinking "dis-KWEE" instead of one syllable.

As far as the Black Hole - he is trying to re-orient himself because even he sees it might be possible Hopkins will be good to really good in '24 so he doesn't want to miss the Bandwagon if there is one. SO for now until February - I anticipate the following - questions comments about the roster/recruits mostly and sprinkle in some Crawley/Kelly get all the credit. Rest assured - if for one reason or another the '24 season is disappointing the "Milliman sucks/Baker's a toady/Daniels throws everybody under the bus" posts will return in full force.

BTW - it seems like almost every day another Hopkins DIII team is picked first in the Centennial conference (coaches polls I assume) - quite a little juggernaut Jen has built.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:16 am
As far as the Black Hole - he is trying to re-orient himself because even he sees it might be possible Hopkins will be good to really good in '24 so he doesn't want to miss the Bandwagon if there is one. SO for now until February - I anticipate the following - questions comments about the roster/recruits mostly and sprinkle in some Crawley/Kelly get all the credit. Rest assured - if for one reason or another the '24 season is disappointing the "Milliman sucks/Baker's a toady/Daniels throws everybody under the bus" posts will return in full force.
Ah yes, the team could be very very good in 2024. With so much competition, the third midfield should be loaded next year.
You have to admire their ability to course correct.
One kudo I do have to give PM is that he lets the back ups play. He doesn't put them in there and tell them not to score. Major props to the man for that. I do expect some 20+ games in 2024.
Black Holes do evaporate, by the way, it just takes them a very long time to do it....
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:24 am I do expect some 20+ games in 2024.
See - here's where you go off the rails. They averaged - what - 12 goals per game last year? With 1 20+ game against the only completely mismatched team they faced (even the Ohio State game was 4-3 10-7 after the first two quarters) why do you expect ANY 20+ games? I proved to you mathematically that only 10 or so offensive players play each competitive game - they are not going 3 lines deep in the mid-field on a consistent basis and running teams off the field a la '90 Cuse or '22 Maryland or something like that. In addition, Hopkins under Milliman/Crawley seems to prefer to run the clock more than most teams - while I didn't look it up 38 shots per game seems a little low in the shot clock era. And perception wise I saw a frustrating number of shot clock violations. So this is where the team can't possibly meet your lofty expectations. If the schedule is reasonably the same as last year's I would "expect" zero 20+ goal games - just like last year.

Here's another data point for you - Petro's best offensive team - 2003 (and its not even close) - scored almost exactly the same number of goals as last years team in two fewer games - care to guess how many 20 goal games? 1 - Canisius. Now maybe that team could have notched one or two more - they got to 19 against Duke and Syracuse but to expect 20 goal games is ridiculous.
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:44 am To get the top kid, you pretty much have to give out a full ride.

Is this true? While I have zero idea - I would have thought no. If true - UVA hands out a full ride every year :lol:
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:30 am Is this true? While I have zero idea - I would have thought no. If true - UVA hands out a full ride every year :lol:
The Tiffany quote from the IL podcast was something like "you're not getting the top guy in the class for 30%".

One of my kids went to school with a recent top 10 recruit - supposedly that kid had 100% offers from a number of schools, including UMD.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:44 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:44 pm At this point I think it's clearly worse than the Black Hole. I know, blasphemy, but good ol BH hasn't been as bad lately
I prefer the term "Event Horizon" or "Singularity."
To get the top kid, you pretty much have to give out a full ride.
My understanding was that PM had no concern whatsoever with regards to IL rankings.
Of course he doesn't. The staff puts their list together before the rankings even come out.

Xanders/IL shouldn't really get flak for it. While I'm sure some of their own evaluation goes into the rankings, it's largely a reflection of who coaches already consider to be the top recruits in the country. That's a big part of it. PM may not care about the ranks but he, Tiffany, Dino, Tillman, Corrigan, Tambroni etc. inform the final product.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

nyjay wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:20 am
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:30 am Is this true? While I have zero idea - I would have thought no. If true - UVA hands out a full ride every year :lol:
The Tiffany quote from the IL podcast was something like "you're not getting the top guy in the class for 30%".

One of my kids went to school with a recent top 10 recruit - supposedly that kid had 100% offers from a number of schools, including UMD.
I haven't listened to most of those but the series is a great idea and one of the fresher ones IL has come up with in awhile. Also great they're spreading it out. Quint did an interview last year with the new school I think from missouri and it was interesting to listen to how he pitched his program.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Extremely rare ANY player gets a full 100% athletic scholarship offer in lax. Stacking athletic $$ along with merit aid could lead to a full ride. The biggest caveat is will they student/player get that aid for all 4 years?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

At one time Hopkins had only given 2 full athletic scholarships.

I think that is still true.
molo

Post by molo »

And is one of them someone who is near and not always dear to lax fans for his commentary?
coda

Post by coda »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:48 pm

Extremely rare ANY player gets a full 100% athletic scholarship offer in lax. Stacking athletic $$ along with merit aid could lead to a full ride. The biggest caveat is will they student/player get that aid for all 4 years?
The math just not support it. The are ~50 players on a roster. There are 12.6 scholarships available. Call that a quarter scholarship for every player. That isn’t happening, because of the portal. You have to give your stars more. Coaches only have 2-3 scholarships for a recruiting class. Top 10 kid may get a full ride or close to it, but that is about it
coda

Post by coda »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:48 pm

The math just not support it. The are ~50 players on a roster. There are 12.6 scholarships available. Call that a quarter scholarship for every player. That isn’t happening, because of the portal. You have to give your stars more. Coaches only have 2-3 scholarships for a recruiting class. Top 10 kid may get a full ride or close to it, but that is about it
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Supposedly Georgetown’s incoming goalie for this year has a full ride.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”