York 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxattackjack

Re: York 2023

Post by Laxattackjack »

Laxisback wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:16 pm There’s a transfer portal conversation in the D1 section of this, it includes D1,D2 and D3
Correct. And no names from York are mentioned. But it is my understanding that D3 does not have to official enter the portal unless going to D1. You can d3 to d3 all day long without a portal.

Hopefully they aren’t spreading rumors before the players have officially announced

I also think only coaches and staff have access to the official NCAA portal list. But I could be wrong.

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... &start=280
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:10 pm
RE6ULATOR wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 3:55 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:59 pm Both Ben Mayer and Ryan Kazella have entered the transfer portal. Along with a great deal of other solid D3 players.
:lol: Start a legit transfer portal thread and give them all some love then, or are you just back with that axe to grind and make it look like drama for York and York alone?

Mayer is a big talent. Losing him would hurt. Losing Wolf and Reynolds hurt this past year. Losing O’Sullivan hurt 2 years ago. Losing Pfeiffer hurt before him, and Witcher before him, and Gamble before him, and Hutson before him….

Catch my drift?
You’re so soft.
What a well thought out response.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:22 pm
Laxisback wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:16 pm There’s a transfer portal conversation in the D1 section of this, it includes D1,D2 and D3
Correct. And no names from York are mentioned. But it is my understanding that D3 does not have to official enter the portal unless going to D1. You can d3 to d3 all day long without a portal.

Hopefully they aren’t spreading rumors before the players have officially announced

I also think only coaches and staff have access to the official NCAA portal list. But I could be wrong.

I fully believe they are in the portal. I also believe Insider has access to it. It would be nice if he put up a transfer portal thread because that would be neat to see. But, you know, then he can’t stir the pot where he so chooses. Creating the responses that he wants, and then complaining how people respond. Forums bring in all types. He’s an “Insider” and knowledge is his power.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:34 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:22 pm

I fully believe they are in the portal. I also believe Insider has access to it. It would be nice if he put up a transfer portal thread because that would be neat to see. But, you know, then he can’t stir the pot where he so chooses. Creating the responses that he wants, and then complaining how people respond. Forums bring in all types. He’s an “Insider” and knowledge is his power.
Or you know… I don’t have time to post hundreds of names for you to a forum on your schedule. You really make me feel like an evil genius. I don’t think I’ve ever been so badly in somebody’s head and I didn’t even know who they were before, it’s so effortless.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:22 pm But it is my understanding that D3 does not have to official enter the portal unless going to D1. You can d3 to d3 all day long without a portal.

Transfer portal, Permission to contact or self release are the avenues transfers usually go through.

Yes all 3 of the previously mentioned are in the portal. They do not need an official announcement, they just go to their compliance person and that individual puts them in the portal. If they didn't want anyone to know (including Childs) they could have done a self release and that is good for 30 days, before anyone would know
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 4:59 pm Or you know… I don’t have time to post hundreds of names for you to a forum on your schedule. You really make me feel like an evil genius. I don’t think I’ve ever been so badly in somebody’s head and I didn’t even know who they were before, it’s so effortless.
Oh I’m sure you feel like a genius. I’ve got nothing to do with that though.

I will continue acknowledge your consistent attempts to cut at York. The fact that you take thinking you’re “in someone’s head” as some bizarre achievement speaks volumes. Hopefully you were a better assistant coach than you appear to be in other aspects of your existence.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

Why the anger/hate for insideroll? Did I miss something? I asked a question and he answered. D3 players look elsewhere, especially if they aren't getting what they want academically or athletically. I am sure D1 will be knocking on their doors. Seen a good amount of that over the years.

Is it a knock on York? Maybe/Maybe not, but if there are a lot of undergraduates in the portal then something may be up. From the outside it does appear that York has an excellent lacrosse program led by a great coach.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

laxrules wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:22 pm Why the anger/hate for insideroll? Did I miss something? I asked a question and he answered. D3 players look elsewhere, especially if they aren't getting what they want academically or athletically. I am sure D1 will be knocking on their doors. Seen a good amount of that over the years.

Is it a knock on York? Maybe/Maybe not, but if there are a lot of undergraduates in the portal then something may be up. From the outside it does appear that York has an excellent lacrosse program led by a great coach.
While it doesn’t take too keen an eye to see the digs InsiderRoll seems to enjoy taking at York (for whatever the reason), I must say in the instance of the portal thread, I agree with him. I’ve started the previous few years’ DIII Portal threads, albeit without personal portal access, and it’s been a silly duplication of efforts. Taking from the DI thread, word of mouth, and the Lacrosse Bucket tracker, and wasting plenty of my time. You’ll find out what’s what and who’s where soon enough.

As far as the York players in the portal go, if it’s just that they’re exploring options, they’re well within their rights to shop their talents. And if they’re actually unhappy for some reason, then all parties involved are better off moving on. I don’t see what the big issue or argument is. There are plenty of players to fill those positions, and coach has dealt with losing key starters seemingly each and every year.

Ok, crawling back under my rock now.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Deep with the voice of reason. You are right about some kids just testing the waters. But some are probably leaving.

Maybe it is time to get the 2024 thread going. Lots of projections on what the team could look like next year.

Assuming that all seniors and grads move on, and the names mentioned end up leaving. York could have a completely different team next year.
Losing 5 of the 6 starting offense and 2 of the three first middies off the bench.

But I have a feeling they won’t lose that much. Some of those kids will be on the team in 2024
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

From what I understand these will not be the last kids to leave the program
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:40 pm Deep with the voice of reason. You are right about some kids just testing the waters. But some are probably leaving.

Maybe it is time to get the 2024 thread going. Lots of projections on what the team could look like next year.

Assuming that all seniors and grads move on, and the names mentioned end up leaving. York could have a completely different team next year.
Losing 5 of the 6 starting offense and 2 of the three first middies off the bench.

But I have a feeling they won’t lose that much. Some of those kids will be on the team in 2024
What do you think happens with the player/coach relationship once a player enters the portal? I assure you the coaches don’t look at it as the players right to test the waters. They have a job to do, and they will go to the portal as well. They need to fill beds and build a roster.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

:roll:
laxdad1434 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:16 am
Laxattackjack wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:40 pm Deep with the voice of reason. You are right about some kids just testing the waters. But some are probably leaving.

What do you think happens with the player/coach relationship once a player enters the portal? I assure you the coaches don’t look at it as the players right to test the waters. They have a job to do, and they will go to the portal as well. They need to fill beds and build a roster.
I’m sure every case is different. I’m sure some coaches have a different perspective than others. I think at the D1 level it can be a little more open to return and sometimes players are seeking out a better financial situation (scholarship) and even NIL opportunities. In any case the landscape is very different now. Kids have short attention spans and are not content waiting for what they want when they want it, it can be seen even in the professional world now.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Either way. What is going on at York. Three key players already mentioned and “these will not be the last”. Wonder why the mass purge.
Laxrealist

Post by Laxrealist »

Leadership is action not position and self-awareness gives you the capacity to learn from your mistakes as well as your successes.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

So we’ve gone from 3 players confirmed in the portal, to they’re definitely leaving, to the prediction that more players will follow, to the theory as to why/who’s responsible, and how so….

C’mon fellas.

In our hypothetical scenario, it could never be that the flame of a DI dream still burns in some. OR, that highly competitive 19 years olds used to winning, and not doing so to their liking, could be the problem. Nah. Lay it all at the feet of the Coach of the Year award recipient, who has retained multiple players with DI skill sets for upwards of 6 years (to the chagrin of some of these same nay sayers)

Go watch the Duke game, it’s a lot more entertaining and realistic than the hypothesis’ being concocted here.
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

I don't traditionally comment, more of a reader, but there is definitely a buzz about the York program. Best coach, best culture, as many academic all americans as Cornell, we almost beat this team, we were so close, out bracket seeding was unfair, etc. (Potentially all valid points about your program). Not bashing but just positing that maybe some of the positive spin is just a tad too much. We're all people - from the parents to the kids to the coaches. Issues arise all the time and we learn to get through them. Sometimes a split is warranted, sometimes not. We don't know for sure but best wishes to all the kids involved, including those that remain faithful to York!! They're living the dream of being a college athlete, playing the best sport in history IMHO, and they only get one chance to do it. They also are trying to get a good education so more power to them if they think they can move on from York and still succeed elsewhere. Grass isn't always greener though (I was Patriot League, had a teammate transfer to D3 where he thought he'd get more playing time... He actually didn't even make that team and just played club thereafter). But again... We don't know all the details of the York transfer portal but for some to act as if questioning the coach is out of bounds isn't fair either. If there is an issue, then explore all possibilities, even those that seemed completely useless to pursue and see where you get. You have a great coach so it's unlikely it's him but hey, if you're trying to gauge an issue, explore all angles. And as an outsider who watched a few games in person and who highly respects/enjoys your program, it just seemed something was "off" this year compared to expectations and therefore perhaps the portal is indicative of that (or totally unrelated).

Best wishes to York in the coming years, you've built a great program, a traditional top 10 team for what appears to be now and forevermore, so wishing you all the best going forward.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Just to clarify, the kids I have heard that may leave were not contributor from last years team. I admit that they will miss amateur production at the attack they will be fine in terms of production at the midfield if the kids are coming back that I have been told are coming back.
If you think this is a coach issue You would be, in my opinion, off base.
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

As others have said, nobody really knows what's actually happening or what will pan out, so its pointless to speculate. There's a ton of potential reasons why someone would leave, and they're not always reflective of an "issue" compared to a "situation".

Play time or a sense of value can be a big factor. Many of these guys are coming from a situation where they were the star in their High School/Club programs. It can be hard to go from never coming off the field, to barely getting on the field. That's what happens when you go to a top 10 program. It doesn't matter what you did before, you've got to earn your spot behind returners. I think sometimes it affects athletes differently. Let's face it, being a student athlete is ALOT of work, and if you're doing the work but not getting play time, or the play time you expect, it's hard to see the value in that situation. Maybe some players are simply looking to move on to a program where they may see more time.

I think COVID has negatively impacted these younger players too. When you have returners playing in their 5th and 6th years, you're taking away an opportunity that maybe those younger guys have been waiting for. It could be their junior/senior years where they would have made an impact, and instead they're stuck behind the COVID era returning athletes.

Rising tuition, distance from home, change in field of study...there are a ton of reasons. Let's not automatically jump to there being an issue with the coach, or an issue at all.

We'll know soon enough. Until then, can't wait to watch the games this weekend! Never thought I'd root for Salisbury, but go Gulls!
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

There’s 2 layers of irony at work here-

1. Before these revelations, York was being roasted about roster size due to RETAINING too many players. Now it’s about losing players.

and

2. Ben Mayer himself emerged largely due to the then leading scorer, O’Sullivan, transferring out.

O’Sullivan was at one point down the depth chart, an absolute stud waiting for his opportunity. And there are another 20-30 guys on that bench right now waiting for theirs. At any point, if a player can’t compete for some reason, coach already knows who he’s rolling in there.

Deep had a great post that he’s updated and regurgitated a for few years running, where he highlights each year’s personnel losses and what they followed up with, usually as a response to critics. So, while York’s fans like myself on here have pumped the “positive spin a tad much” as was stated above, York’s depth of talent has proven to have been underestimated “a tad much” on here too.

Next men up. It’s aaalllll good.
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

Regulator, well said on the talent. It's a sign of a great program when "next man up" means little drop off. You've proven that the past decade(ish) in terms of having guys ready when given the opportunity. I don't doubt the trend will continue and wish you guys all the best in the off-season and in 2024! And the women's team too, they're doing some great things as well!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”