D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Navy 2023

Post by The Orfling »

FactChecker wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:07 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:02 pm
old salt wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:37 pm
FactChecker wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:57 am
old salt wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:59 pm the 5th yr players on the other rosters (except Army),
Seven of Army's 19 juniors are redshirts, including 3 of their top 4 scorers, so they're going to have 5th year players next season.
Thanks. I knew Air Force "turned back" a significant number of FB players. I did not realize that Army did the same with lax players.
We’re they turn backs or MAPS players?
All are turnbacks and also went to MAPS.
Interesting. How does it work for service academy turnbacks if it's for athletics? Do they "take a semester off" like at a civilian university? Or stretch out the coursework over five years? (Or four and a half if it's a fall sport) Given the restrictions of life at an academy, if it's more time in the barracks that's quite a sacrifice for the good of the team.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The Orfling wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:18 am
old salt wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 9:59 pm the 5th yr players on the other rosters (except Army),
Seven of Army's 19 juniors are redshirts, including 3 of their top 4 scorers, so they're going to have 5th year players next season.
Thanks. I knew Air Force "turned back" a significant number of FB players. I did not realize that Army did the same with lax players.
Interesting. How does it work for service academy turnbacks if it's for athletics? Do they "take a semester off" like at a civilian university? Or stretch out the coursework over five years? (Or four and a half if it's a fall sport) Given the restrictions of life at an academy, if it's more time in the barracks that's quite a sacrifice for the good of the team.
Seems a bit peculiar to have 7, on a singular sports team, of the same year....but this may help.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Loyola’s staff always brings their “A” game to the play-offs. Navy looked like the same Navy during our six-game slide. Navy was not offensively efficient with the ball frequently dying in 29 and 24 stick for extended times. Zero chemistry and the normal starters were sitting around and watching 29 and 24 trying to create, Not a winning formula.

I fully understand the desire of 29 wanting to play, but the staff should have managed him a little better, watch the game again, he was gassed at the start of the third (completely understandable after missing 9 games) and in the fourth, he was on the field for every single offensive possession, and it showed. 64 (Zero points) and 29 both had 4 turn overs and 43 (zero points) couldn’t get anything going finishing with zero points. 6 had two runs and was done, 28 gets rocked and never recovered, 51 couldn’t get a step on anybody and 32 was doing his best with limited runs.

Not sure why #2 wasn’t on the field more after working his way into the line-up. Loyola SSDM were dominating 9 and 10 at times, when they bumped the POLES up to play the first midfielders.

Zero adjustments from the Navy staff as the score climbed to 7-1, MIDS played hard in the second half but it was little too late.

20 was dominant at the “X”! Well done, very excited about this young MID !

Defensively, they had us in the spin cycle all night long. 19 gave up some goals from distance early and the Loyola offense was firing on all cylinders.

I always sit down closer to field to hear the interactions of the players/coaches and officials.

Amplo telling one Navy parent’s at the Yeager Pavilion to “Shut the F….. Up” during the game was priceless. Parent was chirping the staff about one of the Navy players being on the field after he committed a turn-over. Never a dull moment.

Coach didn't ride the bus to/from Bucknell.

Service Academy Kids are special ! If NOT the portal would be full of Navy players wanting to leave.

Things are NOT well within the Navy program.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Well, I just hope for a Patriot League Tournament Semifinal appearance sometime soon. Sowell had multiple showings in that.
Last edited by gymman1031 on Fri May 05, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lorin

Post by lorin »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:10 pm Loyola’s staff always brings their “A” game to the play-offs. Navy looked like the same Navy during our six-game slide. Navy was not offensively efficient with the ball frequently dying in 29 and 24 stick for extended times. Zero chemistry and the normal starters were sitting around and watching 29 and 24 trying to create, Not a winning formula.

I fully understand the desire of 29 wanting to play, but the staff should have managed him a little better, watch the game again, he was gassed at the start of the third (completely understandable after missing 9 games) and in the fourth, he was on the field for every single offensive possession, and it showed. 64 (Zero points) and 29 both had 4 turn overs and 43 (zero points) couldn’t get anything going finishing with zero points. 6 had two runs and was done, 28 gets rocked and never recovered, 51 couldn’t get a step on anybody and 32 was doing his best with limited runs.

Not sure why #2 wasn’t on the field more after working his way into the line-up. Loyola SSDM were dominating 9 and 10 at times, when they bumped the POLES up to play the first midfielders.

Zero adjustments from the Navy staff as the score climbed to 7-1, MIDS played hard in the second half but it was little too late.

20 was dominant at the “X”! Well done, very excited about this young MID !

Defensively, they had us in the spin cycle all night long. 19 gave up some goals from distance early and the Loyola offense was firing on all cylinders.

I always sit down closer to field to hear the interactions of the players/coaches and officials.

Amplo telling one Navy parent’s at the Yeager Pavilion to “Shut the F….. Up” during the game was priceless. Parent was chirping the staff about one of the Navy players being on the field after he committed a turn-over. Never a dull moment.

Service Academy Kids are special ! If NOT the portal would be full of Navy players wanting to leave.

Love the Goat
smoova

Post by smoova »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:10 pm ... Amplo telling one Navy parent’s at the Yeager Pavilion to “Shut the F….. Up” during the game was priceless. Parent was chirping the staff about one of the Navy players being on the field after he committed a turn-over. Never a dull moment ...

Amazing.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Yep. I located them on Army's 2020 roster as freshmen.
old salt

Post by old salt »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:12 pm Well, I just hope for a Patriot League Tournament Semifinal appearance sometime soon. Sowell had multiple showings in that.
Never via winning a QF win. The SF appearances were via getting the bye as a #1 or #2 seed, then losing in the SF, thus zero PLT wins since 2010. That's why Jobu was pulling for Army to beat BU & Loyola to beat Lehigh in the final regular season games, so Navy would get the #3 seed & face Lafayette rather than Loyola in the QF.
old salt

Post by old salt »

The Orfling wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:18 am
I believe the AF FB players withdrew, went home & were then readmitted.

https://www.serviceacademyforums.com/in ... 0-7.77062/
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

old salt wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:04 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 1:12 pm Well, I just hope for a Patriot League Tournament Semifinal appearance sometime soon. Sowell had multiple showings in that.
Never via winning a QF win. The SF appearances were via getting the bye as a #1 or #2 seed, then losing in the SF, thus zero PLT wins since 2010. That's why Jobu was pulling for Army to beat BU & Loyola to beat Lehigh in the final regular season games, so Navy would get the #3 seed & face Lafayette rather than Loyola in the QF.
Yes, that is true. But, regardless of how they got to the SFs, they got there. Navy needs to, whichever way, get back to those SFs soon. And no, I am not defending Sowell or want him back.
old salt

Post by old salt »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:17 pm
Yes, that is true. But, regardless of how they got to the SFs, they got there. Navy needs to, whichever way, get back to those SFs soon. And no, I am not defending Sowell or want him back.
Agree, but given the PL's recent relative balance, the best chance to just break Navy's PLT winless streak is to get the #3 seed & face the #6 seed in the QF.

Of course to win the AQ, it's better to get the #1 or #2 seed, have the bye & not have to play 3 games in 5 days.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:38 am
Agree, but given the PL's recent relative balance, the best chance to just break Navy's PLT winless streak is to get the #3 seed & face the #6 seed in the QF.

Of course to win the AQ, it's better to get the #1 or #2 seed, have the bye & not have to play 3 games in 5 days.
And none of those scenarios are going to ever be possible the way they 'choose' to play.

As you are well aware...I have been arguing/encouraging them to get with the times and evolve for well over 8 years. They continually underperform, and it is evident most every outing. I have attended practices over the years, witched film, and they simply do not evolve past the remedial level of the sport; that falls directly on the staff. RS offense was dodge and die on the hands of a select 2 or 3, and in 2016 one could quite easily argue the players had enough and did what they are not taught, they ignored the chain of command and said F-IT, we are just going to send it.

Then the new staff came in and completely slow rolled e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Our offensive schemes consisted of the past dodge and die coupled with a Duke offense from the 2005 era and sprinkled in the first iteration of a 'pair' (yes, singularly) offense.

I am optimistic, as I have been for many-many years. This year after that multi-loss fall coupled with injuries, we almost got there....when they sent in the backups. Navy played a higher performance lacrosse WITHOUT the top dogs. The world saw it, and yet, the staff chose NOT to build upon it and settled for mediocrity once again. Unless, and this is big what it....they now understand that yes, MIDS can play like Army, but chose to honor some personal commitments they made with a few players out of respect and blew-up all that potential to build upon.

IMO, Amplo is also trying to get the players to separate lax, from being a MIDS, which I can partially understand, but attribute more to wanting full control, rather than growing alongside one another and setting a new equally yoked vision. There seems to be an attempt to pit the two against one another, a dichotomy for the players understand they are as good as Duke or Cuse or UVA....which is great, but when you send them out on the battlefield with one or two bullets, is it their fault they got shot?

Go Navy!
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
lorin

Post by lorin »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:33 am
old salt wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:38 am

And none of those scenarios are going to ever be possible the way they 'choose' to play.

As you are well aware...I have been arguing/encouraging them to get with the times and evolve for well over 8 years. They continually underperform, and it is evident most every outing. I have attended practices over the years, witched film, and they simply do not evolve past the remedial level of the sport; that falls directly on the staff. RS offense was dodge and die on the hands of a select 2 or 3, and in 2016 one could quite easily argue the players had enough and did what they are not taught, they ignored the chain of command and said F-IT, we are just going to send it.

Then the new staff came in and completely slow rolled e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Our offensive schemes consisted of the past dodge and die coupled with a Duke offense from the 2005 era and sprinkled in the first iteration of a 'pair' (yes, singularly) offense.

I am optimistic, as I have been for many-many years. This year after that multi-loss fall coupled with injuries, we almost got there....when they sent in the backups. Navy played a higher performance lacrosse WITHOUT the top dogs. The world saw it, and yet, the staff chose NOT to build upon it and settled for mediocrity once again. Unless, and this is big what it....they now understand that yes, MIDS can play like Army, but chose to honor some personal commitments they made with a few players out of respect and blew-up all that potential to build upon.

IMO, Amplo is also trying to get the players to separate lax, from being a MIDS, which I can partially understand, but attribute more to wanting full control, rather than growing alongside one another and setting a new equally yoked vision. There seems to be an attempt to pit the two against one another, a dichotomy for the players understand they are as good as Duke or Cuse or UVA....which is great, but when you send them out on the battlefield with one or two bullets, is it their fault they got shot?

Go Navy!
[/quote

Just curious who would of been your starting attack , first mid line, second mid line against Loyola?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

lorin wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:58 am Just curious who would of been your starting attack , first mid line, second mid line against Loyola?
You clearly missed the entire point. And the discussion at hand was about the future, not a singular game of who plays. :roll:
~Livy
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Congrats to recent Navy assistant Brad Ross on guiding his Bryant Bulldogs to a America East Tournament Championship win over Albany! That was an exciting, 12-11 OT thriller!
lorin

Post by lorin »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:15 pm
lorin wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:58 am Just curious who would of been your starting attack , first mid line, second mid line against Loyola?
You clearly missed the entire point. And the discussion at hand was about the future, not a singular game of who plays. :roll:
I knew u would duck the answer.
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:33 am And none of those scenarios are going to ever be possible the way they 'choose' to play.

Go Navy!
I respect your assessment & opinions. I do not have the access which you had & still have.

Nobody gets better athletes than Navy. Maybe Loyola, BU, Lehigh & even Army have recruited & developed more lax players who are better at passing, catching, shooting accuracy, dodging & thinking on the fly, necessary to execute the offense which you envision.

I'll be more optimistic after 2024 when all the 2020 covid freshman on the PL teams ahead of Navy have played their 5th year & moved on.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

To your point, and others agree. The talent Navy has been getting the past 5 plus years is capable of so much more. And I’ve said it before, the pressure to over-achieve on the yard and through the alumni network is real.

RS tried it a different way and it backfired with support
Amplo is doing it in a way that has gained support and I hope he is given enough grace to swing the tides to balance both worlds.

I personally just want to see the players evolve into what I believe they are capable of. He’s in year 4 and we can see there really is not much change in style and results.

I’d love to hear him say that we have decided to go in another direction….give me a few more years and watch what we can do about putting a different style or play on the field. One that plays fast, stresses the players beyond their current abilities, at a pace they are currently unaccustomed. We will take out lumps, but it will bear fruit.

As an aside….look what Ross stepped into. A Bryant team that plays like the model I vision. You think he is going to slow them down and implement what we had at Navy….I sure hope not. And I fully understand they are not in the PL, but would argued they likely beat us.
~Livy
ExLax

Post by ExLax »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:10 pm Amplo telling one Navy parent’s at the Yeager Pavilion to “Shut the F….. Up” during the game was priceless. Parent was chirping the staff about one of the Navy players being on the field after he committed a turn-over. Never a dull moment.

OMIGOD hadn't heard, was tracking other games this weekend. Certainly believe 'The Goat1999' and very concerning for the status of the program.
Laxinmay

Post by Laxinmay »

Congrats to former Assistant Ryan Wellner. The Navy fans have forgotten about him but the lacrosse world hasn’t. Another sub 10 goal defense and a tourney berth as one of the high seeds (1,2 or 3).

Congrats to Brad Ross! Amazing job. Not easy stepping in for a legend and picking up where he left off.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”