Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Old Lax Fan wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:09 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:09 am
wgdsr wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:51 am dodge and dump just won the national championship.
Give it to Jordan. Complicated stuff that a Division I coach couldn't possibly figure out.

As for the game passing Petro by....what happens if he wins up there? Is the game to say "oh, he changed his philosophy"?

And what's the word on Benson? Did the game pass him by, or not?
I had to laugh. I remember a game in the late 60s, at Homewood. I don't remember who Hopkins was playing. I don't remember the final score. Hopkins had cleared the ball very late in the 4th quarter. My memory is of Bob Scott screaming at the top of his lungs “Give it to Joe! Give it to Joe! Give it to Joe!”. “Joe” was Joe Cowan.
Pretty effective strategy as I recall.

And if they slid hard, Downey was there to slide it into the back of the net.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-Good luck to evan. That's a nice diploma to have in a few years.

-Greely was 1 in his class, shack was 1, tinney was 2, epstein was 1, Schellenberger who departed was 1. In that period albany had 2 number 1 kids in the country, uva had 2, cuse had 1, cornell had 1, unc had 1, cuse had 1. Idea that he didn't have talent to work with or admin support is nuts. No one forced them to recruit early either. Benson and petro had an 02-08 run, plus a national tv deal, plus cordish, plus rabil/harrison marketing the brand and things didn't work.

-I dont remember benson much because he was a sr when I was fr but watching that video he did w/anish and quint pretty easy to see why kids want to play for him. Comes off more as an older brother you look up to than a veteran d1 assistant.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Ok - Benson didn't show up as a coach until '07 - so nice run for 2 years - Rabil/Huntley/Peyser and others might have had something to do with it as well
Schellenberger was renting Hopkins until UVA's coach got resolved - he never played for Hopkins so has nothing to do with talent at Hopkins
Greeley is a very controversial #1 ranking but even ignoring that he suffered two serious knee injuries and never developed into the player he could have been
Epstein - played essentially 1 year for Benson - set the Hopkins freshmen record for scoring I imagine (on a meh Hopkins team) - then suffered a serious knee injury and then COVID happened
Shack and Tinney - the only two on your list to play together helped Hopkins - along with Brown and others - to its only semifinal appearance post Rabil/Huntley as well as a quarterfinal appearance where they made Duke at least pay attention in the 4th quarter - their second year together was derailed of course by Tinney's issue.
Again - bottom line - after Kimmel the only 2 1st team offense All Americas for Johns Hopkins has been Ranagan and Joel Tinney - so 2 in the past 12 seasons - not going to get it done

I know more than one former Hopkins player that didn't think Benson was a cool older brother - that's like saying a youtube highlight video is predictive of future college performance
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:44 pm Ok - Benson didn't show up as a coach until '07 - so nice run for 2 years - Rabil/Huntley/Peyser and others might have had something to do with it as well
Schellenberger was renting Hopkins until UVA's coach got resolved - he never played for Hopkins so has nothing to do with talent at Hopkins
Greeley is a very controversial #1 ranking but even ignoring that he suffered two serious knee injuries and never developed into the player he could have been
Epstein - played essentially 1 year for Benson - set the Hopkins freshmen record for scoring I imagine (on a meh Hopkins team) - then suffered a serious knee injury and then COVID happened
It was so serious that he played through it? That’s not a serious knee issue. I can show you a couple of zippers that may make you rethink your Epstein diagnosis.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Call me a sissy but I would rather not have a Grade1 or Grade 2 sprain of my MCL or whatever CL it was - I know there are many folks who have totally blown out knees - all 3 ligaments/patellar tendons etc. so yes it's all a matter of degree but I saw him in October of '19 and he couldn't bend the leg and he was a shell of his freshman performance before the shutdown and there were plenty of people screaming on this forum that Petro was putting JE's playing career and health in danger. There are those still that think the Epstein model in 2021 was affected by his knee - so I'm not sure what the right term is between "Mild" and "Serious" but it looked and sounded closer to the serious end of the spectrum to me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:21 am Call me a sissy but I would rather not have a Grade1 or Grade 2 sprain of my MCL or whatever CL it was - I know there are many folks who have totally blown out knees - all 3 ligaments/patellar tendons etc. so yes it's all a matter of degree but I saw him in October of '19 and he couldn't bend the leg and he was a shell of his freshman performance before the shutdown and there were plenty of people screaming on this forum that Petro was putting JE's playing career and health in danger. There are those still that think the Epstein model in 2021 was affected by his knee - so I'm not sure what the right term is between "Mild" and "Serious" but it looked and sounded closer to the serious end of the spectrum to me.
+1
Definitely "serious", and post 'recovery' definitely slowed down his change of direction.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

MCL tear is objectively a serious injury for a lacrosse player. Especially for a guy whose game is (was?) built on first step burst and sudden change of direction. I had a grade 1 tear in high school and could barely walk. Given the preseason report in Lax Mag that Joey's injury was "significant," it was likely at least grade 2—possibly 3. Probably wouldn't use that descriptor for a grade 1. That he was physically capable of "playing" on it doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't serious. Connor Fields played on a torn ACL a few years back.

Don't want to relitigate the entire Epstein Experience—we did enough of that this season already—but I will say: another year removed from injury, hopefully(?) growing more comfortable in the new offense—I'm expecting a more productive season in 2022. I think he'll split the difference between '21 and '19. For what it's worth: The Connecticut box league highlights are online—he has pretty much scored a hat trick in every game and looks good.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:21 am Call me a sissy but I would rather not have a Grade1 or Grade 2 sprain of my MCL or whatever CL it was - I know there are many folks who have totally blown out knees - all 3 ligaments/patellar tendons etc. so yes it's all a matter of degree but I saw him in October of '19 and he couldn't bend the leg and he was a shell of his freshman performance before the shutdown and there were plenty of people screaming on this forum that Petro was putting JE's playing career and health in danger. There are those still that think the Epstein model in 2021 was affected by his knee - so I'm not sure what the right term is between "Mild" and "Serious" but it looked and sounded closer to the serious end of the spectrum to me.
Let’s remember when he met the bench in ‘21. That was poor play. Some will continue to go with the knee narrative but if we are doing that then the Blue Jays need to seriously reevaluate their medical staff.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

That was the final straw for me (not that anybody asked for my opinion).
After watching him play for less than five minutes, I wrote something along the lines of, "I expect Joey to say, 'Put me in', but I expect Coach to say, 'This season is rehab-only,'"
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:25 am
After watching him play for less than five minutes, I wrote something along the lines of, "I expect Joey to say, 'Put me in', but I expect Coach to say, 'This season is rehab-only,'"
Yeah. Talk about an RG3 moment. "Son, I can't put you back in because you can't even walk," is what Shanahan should have said. Wrecked that kid's career and for what? He was never the same.
Fortunately for Joey the 2020 season was cut short. Not sure how things would have played out for him if the season had kept on going much longer.
I will say I thought he looked very good in his last game of 2021. He was moving and cutting very well...looked a lot like his freshman campaign.
It doesn't hurt to have two attackmen who can go to the goal. JE and CD could form a pretty nice one two punch next season. If Grimes can step up and become a solid finisher off the crease our attack could be pretty effective going forward.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:37 am
Yeah. Talk about an RG3 moment. "Son, I can't put you back in because you can't even walk," is what Shanahan should have said. Wrecked that kid's career and for what? He was never the same.
Fortunately for Joey the 2020 season was cut short. Not sure how things would have played out for him if the season had kept on going much longer.
I will say I thought he looked very good in his last game of 2021. He was moving and cutting very well...looked a lot like his freshman campaign.
It doesn't hurt to have two attackmen who can go to the goal. JE and CD could form a pretty nice one two punch next season. If Grimes can step up and become a solid finisher off the crease our attack could be pretty effective going forward.
Epstein hasn’t been quite the same as a dodger since his knee injury. That doesn’t mean he isn’t an effective dodger … he certainly is. Just not quite as explosive in his change of direction as he was freshman year.

I am also wondering whether he was able to get the same extra reps in with respect to his shooting. I think his knee issues could have impacted his shooting, but if he wasn’t able to get the extra shooting in after or before practice, that’s something that could have adversely impacted his game.

Finally, I do think the new offensive system really threw Epstein off his game. JGJr’s motion offense really emphasizes off-ball play … which is something Epstein excels at, but trying to make him mostly a wing shooter is a really bad idea. Epstein’s “office” … like Wayne Gretzky’s … is behind the net at X. You have one of the best attackmen at the X … why take away the heart of his game?

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

It often takes 2 years for alot of people (that's not to say it can't happen sooner, but it is uncharitable to expect it) to feel fully comfortable again after a severe knee injury heals for high level athletics, no matter what they tell you. Of course some guys are never the same.

I expect Joey to look more like his old self next year. His play in the B10 tournament looked much more like his old self before the clock ran out on last season, which would be right on time for that ~2 year schedule.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:44 pm
Epstein hasn’t been quite the same as a dodger since his knee injury. That doesn’t mean he isn’t an effective dodger … he certainly is. Just not quite as explosive in his change of direction as he was freshman year.

I am also wondering whether he was able to get the same extra reps in with respect to his shooting. I think his knee issues could have impacted his shooting, but if he wasn’t able to get the extra shooting in after or before practice, that’s something that could have adversely impacted his game.

Finally, I do think the new offensive system really threw Epstein off his game. JGJr’s motion offense really emphasizes off-ball play … which is something Epstein excels at, but trying to make him mostly a wing shooter is a really bad idea. Epstein’s “office” … like Wayne Gretzky’s … is behind the net at X. You have one of the best attackmen at the X … why take away the heart of his game?

I think there's a connection between your two points. That Epstein played mostly a wing/ finisher role last year may have everything to do with the fact that he seemed to be a less effective dodger than before his injury. His game at X was all based on change-of-direction and explosiveness; exactly the types of things that could be affected by a lingering MCL injury. I think what we will see this year is a more fluid set-up where both Deso and Epstein can be a threat from X. We started to see that in the B1G championship game. Assuming Epstein gets healthier, I would bet we see more of the same.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:54 pm

I think there's a connection between your two points. That Epstein played mostly a wing/ finisher role last year may have everything to do with the fact that he seemed to be a less effective dodger than before his injury. His game at X was all based on change-of-direction and explosiveness; exactly the types of things that could be affected by a lingering MCL injury. I think what we will see this year is a more fluid set-up where both Deso and Epstein can be a threat from X. We started to see that in the B1G championship game. Assuming Epstein gets healthier, I would bet we see more of the same.
Yes, those are very good points.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Because DeSimone was better there. And this staff unlike the last seems to actually evaluate players every week and is willing to make changes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Seriously, no posts all week?!?

Who are we, the Cleveland Guardians?!?

@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:52 am Seriously, no posts all week?!?

who knew doc had jokes?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:52 am Seriously, no posts all week?!?

The storylines are pretty clear and barring transfer/injury news it's a matter of waiting until october or whenever practices are made available to folks to get anything new to discuss.
a fan

Post by a fan »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:59 pm Because DeSimone was better there. And this staff unlike the last seems to actually evaluate players every week and is willing to make changes.
Yep, DeSimone had a better personal year.

But now you know why Benson put him at middie, right?

Did Hopkins win more, or fewer games with DeSimone at attack?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:27 pm
flalax22 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:59 pm Because DeSimone was better there. And this staff unlike the last seems to actually evaluate players every week and is willing to make changes.
Yep, DeSimone had a better personal year.

But now you know why Benson put him at middie, right?

Did Hopkins win more, or fewer games with DeSimone at attack?
I’m sorry to say this, but your posts are getting as nonsensical as Peter Brown’s or RRR’s. Just a random string of text ….

Sad.

@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”