Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
RumorMill

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by RumorMill »

Blackdoglax wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:28 am No one is a bigger Lacrosse fan than me and I guess if your parents are ok spending the money, but at some point don’t you have ask why are you playing College lacrosse for 6 years?

Its not like D1 Football or basketball where you are going for free!
A couple arguments to this. No one is playing college lacrosse for 6 years. They may be in college for 6 years, but definitely can still only play for 4 seasons. In regards to these 5th year seniors, grad transfers, etc, for this discussion, I don't include 2020 as a season. That's the whole point, NCAA decided to not count it against the current students eligibility. Right, wrong, indifferent, that's where we are. Additionally, I would argue, all these kids are doing is "wanting to play". Can't blame them for trying to get on a top program, etc, and potentially fast forwarding their Post Grad studies a couple years in order to continue playing college lacrosse.

Now the tuition part is a whole other discussion... agree on that. But referencing the above, if the student athlete and parents' plan was for them to get a post grad degree at some point, maybe it was already budgeted and again they are fast forwarding it a bit. Can't say I would chose differently for me or my kid.
Blackdoglax

Post by Blackdoglax »

All good points and well said!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RumorMill wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:16 am
Blackdoglax wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:28 am No one is a bigger Lacrosse fan than me and I guess if your parents are ok spending the money, but at some point don’t you have ask why are you playing College lacrosse for 6 years?

Its not like D1 Football or basketball where you are going for free!
A couple arguments to this. No one is playing college lacrosse for 6 years. They may be in college for 6 years, but definitely can still only play for 4 seasons. In regards to these 5th year seniors, grad transfers, etc, for this discussion, I don't include 2020 as a season. That's the whole point, NCAA decided to not count it against the current students eligibility. Right, wrong, indifferent, that's where we are. Additionally, I would argue, all these kids are doing is "wanting to play". Can't blame them for trying to get on a top program, etc, and potentially fast forwarding their Post Grad studies a couple years in order to continue playing college lacrosse.

Now the tuition part is a whole other discussion... agree on that. But referencing the above, if the student athlete and parents' plan was for them to get a post grad degree at some point, maybe it was already budgeted and again they are fast forwarding it a bit. Can't say I would chose differently for me or my kid.
Have you seen Jake Nelson’s college resume? Born 10/1995, so now 25, and on his fourth team (LeMoyne) with what I believe to be only a bachelors to show for it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:22 pm
Have you seen Jake Nelson’s college resume? Born 10/1995, so now 25, and on his fourth team (LeMoyne) with what I believe to be only a bachelors to show for it.
I had not, so I looked him up. Well, there are exceptions... and there are exceptions! With that said, Nelson must love to play lacrosse! Also from his bio, looks like Syracuse was in the family, so may have motivated him to make the moves he did prior setting up his transfer there. Grad student at LaMoyne, DII so might be some scholarship money involved in that one too. Obviously conjecture, but hey, he's still getting to play college lax!

Here's to a successful 2021 season!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per Jacksonville
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Jacksonville University men's lacrosse program is set to ring in the New Year with a pair of individuals joining the program via transfer.

Jake Antonucci (Providence) and Cooper Trepeta (Hofstra) join the Dolphins this spring and will be immediately eligible to compete.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Wonder if this is an indication they expect Covid related state restrictions to impact lacrosse?? I know both RI and NYC have had it rough.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

bauer4429 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:43 am Wonder if this is an indication they expect Covid related state restrictions to impact lacrosse?? I know both RI and NYC have had it rough.
It's a possibility but likely a stretch, it has to do more with potential playing time most likely. Happy New Year!

Joe
xcoach

Post by xcoach »

Jack Coan (Sayville, NY), who committed to Notre Dame lacrosse as a HS frosh prior to playing QB at Wisconsin, is in the portal, and apparently will play lax at ND in 2021.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

xcoach wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:16 am Jack Coan (Sayville, NY), who committed to Notre Dame lacrosse as a HS frosh prior to playing QB at Wisconsin, is in the portal, and apparently will play lax at ND in 2021.
He's transferring to ND to play football, not lacrosse
xcoach

Post by xcoach »

I sit corrected. That's what I get for listening to my ND source. I called a friend who coached Jack in PAL lacrosse, and whose son works out with him. He has received his degree from Wisconsin, and he'll pursue a masters at ND, while playing QB. Hasn't ruled out lax if the NFL doesn't beckon. I reffed a lot of Jack's lax games from PAL through HS. He's a great kid who makes everyone around him better.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:20 am
xcoach wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:16 am Jack Coan (Sayville, NY), who committed to Notre Dame lacrosse as a HS frosh prior to playing QB at Wisconsin, is in the portal, and apparently will play lax at ND in 2021.
Solid college quarterback for Notre Dame. Frankly, I would have preferred Tyler Buchner getting the start and a lot of reps in rather than having a caretaker QB for a year. Coan, if he ever signs with an NFL team, is likely destined for the scout team.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:34 pm
Solid college quarterback for Notre Dame. Frankly, I would have preferred Tyler Buchner getting the start and a lot of reps in rather than having a caretaker QB for a year. Coan, if he ever signs with an NFL team, is likely destined for the scout team.
DocBarrister
Drew Pyne is the future at QB for Notre Dame. Just my $.02.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

JBFortunato wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:39 pm
DocBarrister
To keep it lax friendly, for those who don’t know Pyne, he is from perennial CT lax power New Canaan.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

JBFortunato wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:39 pm
DocBarrister
Pyne is a good young QB.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:50 am
bauer4429 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:43 am Wonder if this is an indication they expect Covid related state restrictions to impact lacrosse?? I know both RI and NYC have had it rough.
It's a possibility but likely a stretch, it has to do more with potential playing time most likely. Happy New Year!

Joe
I believe the Providence departure was disciplinary in nature and had nothing to do with state covid restrictions that would impact lacrosse. Antonucci is a good player who will do well at Jacksonville.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Will Bowen will playing with the Tar Heels this spring, joining Gtown for ’22 season
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:16 pm Will Bowen will playing with the Tar Heels this spring, joining Gtown for ’22 season
Whatdya know: viewtopic.php?p=207898#p207898
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

IL twitter
With Ivy League Season in Limbo, Yale's TD Ierlan Enters NCAA's Transfer Portal for 2021
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Syracuse, Hopkins, Maryland, Penn State, Virginia, Carolina, Duke, Denver, Georgetown.

Take your pick from one of those 8 I would say. Obviously from New York so Cuse could make sense. He was heavily considering Cornell when Milliman was there so Hopkins stands out. And then the rest are your usual suspects.
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Ok, so which school does not have a top 10 Elite FOGO?

I would say here is where he should be considering.

1. Duke
2. Penn State
3. Hopkins
4. Virginia
5. North Carolina

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/lacrosse-men ... vidual/410

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”