General Chatter
Typical Lax Dad

Re: World Soccer

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:34 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:19 pm

GREAT GAME :D :D

Indeed! Amazing how such a small country like Norway (population: 5 million) can produce so many Olympic athletes in so many sports and can compete with the USA, Russia, Japan, et al. At one time they were the chief rivals for our gals in footy but suffered a decline in the sport. But now they are back at the top.
Just watched a show on how Norway handles its youth athletics, aint nuthin like it is here in the USA. They take it pretty seriously from a, let's get everyone involved and make it fun, angle. Works for them, they produce quite a number of world class athletes considering the size and population.
If I were running USSF, I would concentrate all of my efforts in NY metro, Chicago Metro, Dallas Metro and LA Metro. Everyone else would be on their own. If we can't field a world class team drawing from those markets, I would pack it up. We spend way too much time and effort. Kids driving 5 hours to play a league game. Driving 1 - 1.5 hours one way to practice 3 times a week. A lot of families don't have the money, or more importantly the time. The general assumption is that the family is financially secure with a stay at home spouse. Actually, I knew a kid that took car service to play for NYRB. A private car.... pre-dated Uber.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Iceland's Men's Team is even more impressive. In terms of doing a lot with a little.

Norway women looked good.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Indeed! Amazing how such a small country like Norway (population: 5 million) can produce so many Olympic athletes in so many sports and can compete with the USA, Russia, Japan, et al. At one time they were the chief rivals for our gals in footy but suffered a decline in the sport. But now they are back at the top.
Just watched a show on how Norway handles its youth athletics, aint nuthin like it is here in the USA. They take it pretty seriously from a, let's get everyone involved and make it fun, angle. Works for them, they produce quite a number of world class athletes considering the size and population.
If I were running USSF, I would concentrate all of my efforts in NY metro, Chicago Metro, Dallas Metro and LA Metro. Everyone else would be on their own. If we can't field a world class team drawing from those markets, I would pack it up. We spend way too much time and effort. Kids driving 5 hours to play a league game. Driving 1 - 1.5 hours one way to practice 3 times a week. A lot of families don't have the money, or more importantly the time. The general assumption is that the family is financially secure with a stay at home spouse. Actually, I knew a kid that took car service to play for NYRB. A private car.... pre-dated Uber.
Look at what they spend in Norway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh2SB42xsEU
If you can pull that episode up it's worth the watch. They do laugh at the way the US goes about youth athletics. Early recruiting, specialization, etc. Seems as if they're more of the "late bloomer" mentality, that's when they indentify their world class athletes and take things a whole lot more seriously. Meanwhile, they want everyone to play and they want everyone wanting to play and having fun while doing so. The proof is in the pudding, they absolutely kicked as* in the winter olympics. As one who has a gson involved in youth hockey, I must say I find our system to be revolting and it just feels wrong to me (and that's not restricted to hockey).
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/w ... 350369002/
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:38 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:23 pm

Look at what they spend in Norway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh2SB42xsEU
If you can pull that episode up it's worth the watch. They do laugh at the way the US goes about youth athletics. Early recruiting, specialization, etc. Seems as if they're more of the "late bloomer" mentality, that's when they indentify their world class athletes and take things a whole lot more seriously. Meanwhile, they want everyone to play and they want everyone wanting to play and having fun while doing so. The proof is in the pudding, they absolutely kicked as* in the winter olympics. As one who has a gson involved in youth hockey, I must say I find our system to be revolting and it just feels wrong to me (and that's not restricted to hockey).
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/w ... 350369002/
I have been saying for years..... club soccer, as constructed, is the biggest obstacle we face... you need a lot of time and a lot of money. USSF should focus its high level efforts and let others cast a wider net. We will find the players.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

that's why earnie Stewart was hired/voted in. if it makes a difference, i'll be surprised. iceland's top priority is improvement. the people running their athletics development programs are sincere, driven. US's top priority is individual administrators making money (and garnering power to make money). in the end, most every problem is human being based. and, within the world of soccer, the human beings are awful. the idea of pulling earnie in is to have some human beings who actually love the game.
Typical Lax Dad

admin wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:50 am that's why earnie Stewart was hired/voted in. if it makes a difference, i'll be surprised. iceland's top priority is improvement. the people running their athletics development programs are sincere, driven. US's top priority is individual administrators making money (and garnering power to make money). in the end, most every problem is human being based. and, within the world of soccer, the human beings are awful. the idea of pulling earnie in is to have some human beings who actually love the game.
Yep. Soccer should be cheap in this country. Look at all the fields and athletic facilities we have. We should be doing more.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

World soccer powers send their best players to soccer academies, not to colleges. If we did the same for soccer and all other sports the USA would be # 1 in Olympics and all other sports.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

France > Brazil 2-1 OT

Amandine Henry scores the winner. VAR helped again to keep the ref calls honest. TV commentators are now commenting about it with greater approval. Looks like it's here to stay.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:52 pm World soccer powers send their best players to soccer academies, not to colleges. If we did the same for soccer and all other sports the USA would be # 1 in Olympics and all other sports.
Yeah but, how would the NCAA make any money then?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:24 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:52 pm World soccer powers send their best players to soccer academies, not to colleges. If we did the same for soccer and all other sports the USA would be # 1 in Olympics and all other sports.
Yeah but, how would the NCAA make any money then?

NCAA makes much $ from football, basketball, and, to a lesser extent, hockey. While it is beginning to make some good $ from baseball & softball, it still doesn't make all that much from soccer. I believe this will remain so for a long while to come.

Anyways, I greatly dislike the NCAA and wouldn't mind seeing it dissolved - the sooner the better. ;)

Typical Lax Dad

By the time college rolls around, it is too late. France has a very good set up. They send their best players to a regional training center but the playes come home to play with local team on weekends. If a team is "winning" too much, the coach is swapped out and the team rebalanced. The goal is to develop players, not win games for kids playing soccer. I believe we should concentrate our efforts with training centers in NYC, Chicago, Dallas, LA and Florida and call it a day. These should be residential training centers.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 am

By the time college rolls around, it is too late. France has a very good set up. They send their best players to a regional training center but the playes come home to play with local team on weekends. If a team is "winning" too much, the coach is swapped out and the team rebalanced. The goal is to develop players, not win games for kids playing soccer. I believe we should concentrate our efforts with training centers in NYC, Chicago, Dallas, LA and Florida and call it a day. These should be residential training centers.

Those training centers are a good idea. I would go a step further in having one in Colorado where the altitude can play a role in developing soccer talent when they play in high elevation overseas.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

lineups for today's match:

https://www.fifa.com/womensworldcup/mat ... h-liveblog

note that Dunn will remain at left back where she will mark Spain's speedy Lucia Garcia - hopefully Coach Ellis will make strategic adjustments to make up for her defensive weaknesses

for some reason, the game will not be broadcasted on local tv & I will have to watch online - for those watching, enjoy ...

Typical Lax Dad

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:36 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 am

Those training centers are a good idea. I would go a step further in having one in Colorado where the altitude can play a role in developing soccer talent when they play in high elevation overseas.
What we are missing in this country is quality coaching. In France, the focus was on coaching the coaches. You impact more kids this way.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2 ... eady-take/
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:08 pm

What we are missing in this country is quality coaching. In France, the focus was on coaching the coaches. You impact more kids this way.....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2 ... eady-take/

Very interesting article. Yes, we do need better coaching at youth levels - start by training them when they are young like we do with Little League players and continue through academies and camps.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

USA > Spain 2-1

I thought there were good defensive adjustments as Becky Sauerbrunn covered for Crystal Dunn on Spain's attacks. USA scored on PK's by Megan Rapinoe. Alex Morgan did not have a particularly good game but, as with defense, the other players covered for her weaknesses. Good overall team work gave our Yanks the margin. But the competition gets tougher and more adjustments will be needed.

Interesting that Alexi Lalas and the other Fox commentators are saying precisely the same things I've been saying about Crystal Dunn. She is not a true defensive left back but the USA has no one else. How this lapse came about is beyond me and could be a critical deficiency. Let's hope not.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I dunno. I think Dunn is one of the best at her position on the field. In 2019, there's no such thing as a left beck. There are left middies who are particularly good at D. i.e. Part of the job criteria for being a wing back is getting forward. D comes first (usually) but getting forward is important and... dunn does both well.

US's first three games were not helpful. Hopefully today's wake-up call will humble them enough to show up vs. France with a different mental attitude.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:02 pm USA > Spain 2-1

I thought there were good defensive adjustments as Becky Sauerbrunn covered for Crystal Dunn on Spain's attacks. USA scored on PK's by Megan Rapinoe. Alex Morgan did not have a particularly good game but, as with defense, the other players covered for her weaknesses. Good overall team work gave our Yanks the margin. But the competition gets tougher and more adjustments will be needed.

Interesting that Alexi Lalas and the other Fox commentators are saying precisely the same things I've been saying about Crystal Dunn. She is not a true defensive left back but the USA has no one else. How this lapse came about is beyond me and could be a critical deficiency. Let's hope not.
Possible answer (left back) - https://sports.yahoo.com/jaelene-hinkle ... 21103.html

While I never doubted the US would win today (some how, some way), those two PK fouls were pretty weak, especially #2. It seems the VAR related strategy for all teams should be to get the ball into the penalty area and flop on any hint of contact. Reminds me of the catch/no catch days of the NFL; video painfully slowed to a frame-by-frame image will dictate the call. However, I can't imagine the US will get those calls against the host nation France.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:48 pm I dunno. I think Dunn is one of the best at her position on the field. In 2019, there's no such thing as a left beck. There are left middies who are particularly good at D. i.e. Part of the job criteria for being a wing back is getting forward. D comes first (usually) but getting forward is important and... dunn does both well.

US's first three games were not helpful. Hopefully today's wake-up call will humble them enough to show up vs. France with a different mental attitude.

As much as I like lacrosse, I've watched hundreds more soccer games and know it infinitely better than I do lax. Can't say I agree with your assessment of the position or of Dunn. And in this regard I have Alexi Lalas on my side who re-echoed everything I said in today's broadcast.

But I do agree with you that we are nowhere near the summit and the slope will get steeper. As Nigel says above, the advantage will likely go to the home team in France and our Yanks better be ready for any possible calls that may not go in our favor.
Last edited by Brooklyn on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nigel wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:40 pm

Possible answer (left back) - https://sports.yahoo.com/jaelene-hinkle ... 21103.html

Thanks for that informative link. Had not been aware of these political hassles at all. Let's hope that the decision to keep LDB Jaelene Hinkle off the team was based on merit (or lack thereof) and nothing more. Frankly, I am shocked that anyone who object to a stamp on a uni that endorses constitutional equal protection clause rights for all. I would be in even greater shock if a player is excluded for political reasons. But such is life. Further, US Soccer has had considerable time to evaluate all issues in this matter and (let us hope) they are satisfied that no one has been discriminated against.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”