ODAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
thescottharris

Re: ODAC

Post by thescottharris »

oldlaw wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:53 pm Agree. Hope the job search is bearing fruit, Scott.
Big Easy Lax wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:09 pm
thescottharris wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:07 pm 25-9 win for H-SC. Appears no one was there to stat the game. I tell you what, that never would have happened under my watch!
We miss you Scott! :(
Thanks! Assuming the weather isn't miserable (I dealt with far too many miserable weather games at the H-SC turf field!), I will be at the H-SC at Randolph slobber knocker this weekend!

And thus far not much job fruit has grown. It's still early, I only left about 7 weeks ago, at least that's what I'm telling myself :lol:. If only I had some sort of medical or engineering degree and I could be making it rain in Lynchburg!
Whodem52

Post by Whodem52 »

Big weekend for all at Stevenson. A fun weekend filled with great lacrosse. 8:30 tonight will be a lot of fun always a good atmosphere and two teams that really don’t like each other. Stevenson came to the burg last year and got smacked in the mouth - have to think they are looking to bite back. Hornets looked good in second half vs a very improved ETown team I will be interested to see how they have used the past week of spring break to grow and get closer. Coach K has a knack for making his teams really start to click after spring break.

Excited to see how they perform the way they fight in two tough games will set the tempo for the rest of the year.
A fun tidbit- coach k sent a text to all the seniors this past summer asking if they would rather play Wesleyan or Dickinson. Every single senior texted him back saying “we want Wesleyan” should be fun! Go bugs!
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Very interested to see how the bugs do vs. the zone...
I also see the 1st line midfield is now Rogers, Dean and now Willertz who has started all 3 years at SSDM. Converting to offense give them another 6’3 strong midfield who can obviously go 2 ways. Had 2 goals and assist Saturday vs. etown. Really like this development.. 2nd line mids coming into their own too.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Lynchburg now 3-3 needs one if not both wins this weekend if they want a pool C. W&L I think is in a corner where they have to win the AQ. If Lynchburg wins both this weekend and W&L beat them in the regular season and lost a conference final they’d have a slim shot but I think they will need the AQ. This may be W&L’s best team in 20 years but the one goal losses could come back to haunt them shame if they don’t make the NCAA’s
Nothinbutthelax

Strength of schedule is still a big consideration. IF F&M and CNU continue to improve and rise on polls there is an outside chance at a bid for both..
Perhaps slight advantage to LC considering their losses, at this time, we’re to 3 top 5 teams..
I agree LYN needs at least 1 win this weekend. Stevenson may not be ranked as high but should win conference and Wes. may continue to slide in tough NASCAC (the Bates loss was surprising)
2 thing for sure. Both don’t want to lose the AW!!!

So much talent on W&L. Wonder if AJ presence freezes other guys or maybe they feel they need to force to him... lots of lax to play but just seems like they haven’t gelled?
Dehuntshigwa’es

Not trying to rationalize the losses but it is really, one save, gb, clear, turnover etc. I think York is better than W&L I think if they played Gburg or Denison 10x W&Lwould take 6. All these teams on any given day could best one another. I for one have believed all year they have so much depth that some key guys aren’t getting as much burn as they should. Hamil for instance ( didn’t see all of Gburg game) for sure should have been on the field more in the Denison and York games. In the bigger games run your top 6 mids till they drop. This isn’t D1 where the talent drop off isn’t quite as great. Cornell a few years back had an attackman run at mid and when his line came off he went to attack. No room for error now. You have one of the best players in the country, a great fogo, Londrey on the wing , great lsm and I think despite the last game outstanding goalie. For every player on the team this was potentially their best shot to go deep in May compared to any other year of their 4.Starting attack, how about Mize , AJ and Weaver,38% shooter career. Number 31 has started 8 games and did not register a point in 3 of them(38%) CNU, Denison, Gettysburg
How about Lynchburg taking Wesleyan to the wire.Gennies need the AQ, going to be a tough one
Nothinbutthelax

Into ODAC play now
LYN struggles with the WES zone 1st half. The game winner was a Loyola Spencer like dive with 2:00 to go.
They also have lost two 1 goal games now but have a couple too 20 wins (although Stevie may fall out). Defense is strong. Offense had lots of options. Not surprising but I like them to win the AQ over the Generals.
W&L gets NOKE at end of month who is dangerous. They are streaky, Davies can get hot and Lindley / Sarro dangerous.
Watching that one closely as they have them @ home the following Friday under the lights.

Can NOKE and HSC surprise?
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:49 pm Into ODAC play now
LYN struggles with the WES zone 1st half. The game winner was a Loyola Spencer like dive with 2:00 to go.
They also have lost two 1 goal games now but have a couple too 20 wins (although Stevie may fall out). Defense is strong. Offense had lots of options. Not surprising but I like them to win the AQ over the Generals.
W&L gets NOKE at end of month who is dangerous. They are streaky, Davies can get hot and Lindley / Sarro dangerous.
Watching that one closely as they have them @ home the following Friday under the lights.

Can NOKE and HSC surprise?
Can't see Noke surprising anyone if they have to hope for a miracle just to play defense. Ian Davies isn't going to be able to stand on his head for 60 minutes a game every game. There's only so much he can do when the defensive position players are apparently playing matador defense.

H-SC is still to be determined. Young guys are growing up, have they grown up enough to stay in the game with W&L this weekend? This is a pretty significant step up in competition from the last three games, and the last two weren't the least bit of a challenge, hopefully the signs of growth that I have seen aren't entirely a product of the weak competition. I mean 3rd and 4th stringers were going out there and were clearly superior, practice would have been more competitive.

I think the bigger question is does Randolph-Macon surprise anyone? I know Guilford isn't going to be good, but Macon destroyed them, was not expecting it to be that bad of a loss for the Quakers.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Nice article in Lax Magazine about H-SC's man-up proficiency. They've been one of the best man-up units for several years now! 1st in all of the NCAA this year! 20th in D3 last year, 2nd in 2017, 13th in 2016.
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... up-success
Dehuntshigwa’es

thescottharris wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:47 pm Nice article in Lax Magazine about H-SC's man-up proficiency. They've been one of the best man-up units for several years now! 1st in all of the NCAA this year! 20th in D3 last year, 2nd in 2017, 13th in 2016.
Congrats to HSC but the article is a bit disengeous,of the 27 goals man up in 8 games 17 , this isn’t a missprint , 17 man up goals happened in just 2 games. Hard to imagine being man up 17 times in 2 games let alone score 17. Didn’t even bother to ask the question how many times they were up let alone score 17 man up goals intwo games...Has to be some kind of record.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:13 pm
thescottharris wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:47 pm Nice article in Lax Magazine about H-SC's man-up proficiency. They've been one of the best man-up units for several years now! 1st in all of the NCAA this year! 20th in D3 last year, 2nd in 2017, 13th in 2016.
Congrats to HSC but the article is a bit disengeous,of the 27 goals man up in 8 games 17 , this isn’t a missprint , 17 man up goals happened in just 2 games. Hard to imagine being man up 17 times in 2 games let alone score 17. Didn’t even bother to ask the question how many times they were up let alone score 17 man up goals intwo games...Has to be some kind of record.
What's disingenuous about reporting the facts and interviewing someone about it? It's not like they are making a claim H-SC is the best man-up team in the country, just says they have the highest EMO scoring %.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Fair comment,perhaps my choice of words could have been better. I was shocked by the Percentage in the article and couldn’t wrap my arms on how that was possible. Looking at the stat lines I noticed 17 of the goals were against 2 teams. You have to admit that many opportunities let alone man up goals in two games is amazing!😂. Let’s see what the number is against the boys from Lex this weekend. I’m going with the Vegas bookmakers at under 50%
Nothinbutthelax

LC was up 17-0 with 7 left in 2nd half. Subbing began in 1st. Lots of 1st time goals deep in bench
Coach K TO. 4th, 5th middle and 2nd, 3rd attack lines running offense. No shots, letting shot clock expire working on rides.

W&L looked sharp today. Looking forward to see How streaky NOKE will test LC & W&L but agree it looks like it will be those 2 battle it out..
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Guilford will be lucky to win 2 ODAC games this year. I mean yikes at this score vs. HSC, 20-6 with 6 minutes left in the third. And the Tigers put backups in a few minutes into the third and they still could pretty much name the score against the Quakers. And four unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on GC and not even into the 4th quarter yet? SMH

I remember just like two or three years ago this team looked like they were starting to knock on the door for 5th and 6th in the league, what has happened since then?
Nothinbutthelax

NOKE visits LYN Shellenburger Field Friday.. looks like rain in the forecast.
Interested to compare NOKE / W&L game stats.
Predictions?
Dehuntshigwa’es

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:32 am NOKE visits LYN Shellenburger Field Friday.. looks like rain in the forecast.
Interested to compare NOKE / W&L game stats.
Predictions?
Lynchburg will dismantle Roanoke unless Davies stands on his head. Roanoke would have to get to 10 or better and can’t see that happening. Noke’s Matchups are not favorable in this contest. Don’t believe that comparative stats reveal much but it’s fun to do especially when the game is not being webcast.
Whodem52

Post by Whodem52 »

Let it rain!! Burg is going to roll right over Noke tonight. Davies is a good keep, but he will get torn to shreds without any defensive help.

This time of year mentality really shows. Boys at Roanoke are counting the days until graduation and getting out of the worst town in America. At the burg they realize the end could be near- cherishing every moment together, that’s what has made them so good in late April and May.

I think bugs win by 6 15-9? Should be a fun one under the lights on Shelly!
Dehuntshigwa’es

Lynchburg 9 Davies 7. He had stopped 10 of the first 15 shots but finally came down to earth. Saved at least 3 shots that on most goalies are scores, two of Lynchburg ‘s goals were put backs. The weave is working in Lynchburg at one point the d mids were so conditioned to the hornets driving to the middle of the field and moving it to a mid on the wing that the defender over played his man to the side he was driving to that not just the alley but the whole middle of the field was open, the mid just cut it up the field for an easy goal. Love the hornets play up top, great movement and spacing. Lynchburg should pull away in the second half. Without Davies it would be over!

Sure enough 13-7 late third the hornets have cracked the safe Davies has come back to earth. Credit Lynchburg for maintaining their composure very well coached team. Generals are going to have their hands full!!!

A word to the wise, stay out of the box against the hornets, their emo is 50%
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Well shoot didn't know that game was tonight. Would have watched Lynchburg roll over Noke any day of the week. Roanoke's defense is just ghastly this year.

The battle for what will likely determine the #4 seed is tomorrow when Macon travels to H-SC tomorrow for a 1 pm game. I'm expecting it to be a closely contested game.
Last edited by thescottharris on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Goal play and dominant face off unit should win the day for HSC. Question I have is can HSC upset Roanoke? Davies is probably the difference but Noke’s D is suspect

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”