Athletes Unlimited Season 3

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxfan500

Re: Athletes Unlimited Season 3

Post by Laxfan500 »

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:27 pm The rookie Captain wins another one, T Bosco over T Glynn 10-8.
Were down one at the half. Good game.

Main event in five minutes. Am worried about Nicole's elbow and
Team Moreno's hunger. They might come out guns blazin', balls to
the wall after losing their first two.
I'm ready, game appropriate snacks.
(didn;t make the egg rolls...can get 'em Aldi and they're really good.
Wings are DMac made)

3-2 Moreno, end of one.
Charolette's on a mission, got all three for Moreno.
Gotta be careful to not try to do too much though.
Moreno hot as a pistol, Geiersbach snuck a couple
by her but she's made some really nice saves.

Apuzzo's too much...loses the ball, chases down the
girl who came up with, makes the check to get the
ball to the ground...that all results in a goal by Mastroianni.
Classic Apuzzo. 4-3 Moreno 4:30 to go in the half.

4-3 at the half, 40 points on the line in the 3rd qtr.
Moreno next to impossible today.

Wow, don't really know how but Apuzzo takes the 3rd (40 points), 6-5 end of 3.
Trenchard doing a superb job on Apuzzo, really keeping her out of the game.
Levy's elbow aint good, very quiet today, pretty much a non factor if she can't
dish and shoot with that stick.
Someone has to find a way to contain Charolette, she's hell bent on getting shots
today.
Stand by for an intense 4th...the main event has lived up to its billing.

Uh oh, Moreno suddenly up 2, a 2 pointer from Charolette (she's gonna shoot when
she gets the ball...cost 'em a possession by eating up too much of the shot clock)
and then one from Kennedy.
Moreno stuffed Apuzzo on a shot from the doorstep earlier too.

T Moreno's got the ball and momentum right now.
4:40 to go, Apuzzo ball now.

North with a 2 point attempt from way out, pipe shot, Kennedy gets
the rebound at puts it in. This one's all over but the shouting. I'm out
a bag of Gummies, congrats Laxfan 500.
9-6 1:30 to go.

Final...Team Moreno looked to have more gas in the tank in the 4th,
didn't want to lose another one.
Another good game.
Ahhhhh a sweet win…..why you doubt me Dmac!! Heh heh
DMac

Post by DMac »

Apuzzo 2 for 3 for the week, Moreno 1 for 3....had some room for doubt there. ;)
You'll have to PM me your address so I can have some Gummies flown in from Germany for you.
A little tid-bit of useless information for you. You couldn't get Gummy Bears in the US until 1982
when we started importing them from Germany where they had been around since the 20s. Lived
in Germany from 9-11, my mother was from there and naturally spoke the language. Went into a
butcher shop/deli one day and the butcher gave my brother and I a Gummy Bear. Was a bit strange
and surely nothing we had ever had before. My grandmother used to send them to us when we came
back to the States. Now you know more about Gummy Bears in the US than 95% of the rest of the population.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:12 pm Apuzzo 2 for 3 for the week, Moreno 1 for 3....had some room for doubt there. ;)
You'll have to PM me your address so I can have some Gummies flown in from Germany for you.
A little tid-bit of useless information for you. You couldn't get Gummy Bears in the US until 1982
when we started importing them from Germany where they had been around since the 20s. Lived
in Germany from 9-11, my mother was from there and naturally spoke the language. Went into a
butcher shop/deli one day and the butcher gave my brother and I a Gummy Bear. Was a bit strange
and surely nothing we had ever had before. My grandmother used to send them to us when we came
back to the States. Now you know more about Gummy Bears in the US than 95% of the rest of the population.
I actually hate gummies lol. Just winning is enough!
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

3 of the top 5 point fetters are goalies. Way to easy to get points as a goalie than this for a position player. My daughters not interested this year in AU. Not sure why, she was glued to the tv the last two years. Hope Apuzzo finally wins but it will be unlikely.
njbill

Post by njbill »

None of the games this weekend, the last weekend of the season, are on TV. All are on ESPN+. Not a good sign.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:10 am 3 of the top 5 point fetters are goalies. Way to easy to get points as a goalie than this for a position player. My daughters not interested this year in AU. Not sure why, she was glued to the tv the last two years. Hope Apuzzo finally wins but it will be unlikely.
The goalies are facing the toughest shooters in the world - I would not be saying that 'its "way too easy to get points as a goalie."
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:01 pm None of the games this weekend, the last weekend of the season, are on TV. All are on ESPN+. Not a good sign.
Don't read into that so much, the league isn't going anywhere. ESPN is actively trying to grow ESPN+ and will put as much live programming on there as they can.

Joe
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Brownlax wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:43 pm
Relax77 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:10 am 3 of the top 5 point fetters are goalies. Way to easy to get points as a goalie than this for a position player. My daughters not interested this year in AU. Not sure why, she was glued to the tv the last two years. Hope Apuzzo finally wins but it will be unlikely.
The goalies are facing the toughest shooters in the world - I would not be saying that 'its "way too easy to get points as a goalie."
And the shooters are playing against the toughest goalies and defenders in the world. Now that we got that out of the way. Way too many points available for goalies as opposed to defenders and attackers
njbill

Post by njbill »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:48 pm
njbill wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:01 pm None of the games this weekend, the last weekend of the season, are on TV. All are on ESPN+. Not a good sign.
Don't read into that so much, the league isn't going anywhere. ESPN is actively trying to grow ESPN+ and will put as much live programming on there as they can.

Joe
I hope you are right, but I’m not so sure. Don’t remember the difference between televised games between seasons one and two, but this year there are a lot fewer televised games.

ESPN wants eyeballs. I’m sure they weren’t getting enough eyeballs for lacrosse which is why they pulled the games from network and put them on their streaming service. If I recall correctly, Fox televised some games in season one or two. No more Fox this year.

The over/under for these women’s lacrosse pro leagues has been two or three years. We shall see what happens next year.

DMac has been a stalwart watcher and poster, but not too many others have followed suit. I found I was much less interested this year.

I’ve come to conclude I don’t like the pick-new-teams-every-week format. In a team sport, you need teams. I’m sure it’s fun for the players to mix-and-match every week, but unless you are following quite closely, you simply don’t know who is on what team and when they will be on TV each week.

I continue to find the point system crazy. It does nothing for me.

My interest, to the extent I retain any, is to watch players I have come to like over the years. But I’m not interested enough to pay money to ESPN for their streaming service.

It does look like the crowds were a bit bigger this year, but US lacrosse is a very small facility. I’ve been there a few times, once for a big high school game. The fans at that game were hanging off the rafters, I think, on all four sides. Certainly there were a lot of fans standing on the concourse and across the way on the grass. Didn’t see any of that at the AU games.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

njbill wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:43 pm

Joe
I hope you are right, but I’m not so sure. Don’t remember the difference between televised games between seasons one and two, but this year there are a lot fewer televised games.

ESPN wants eyeballs. I’m sure they weren’t getting enough eyeballs for lacrosse which is why they pulled the games from network and put them on their streaming service. If I recall correctly, Fox televised some games in season one or two. No more Fox this year.

The over/under for these women’s lacrosse pro leagues has been two or three years. We shall see what happens next year.

DMac has been a stalwart watcher and poster, but not too many others have followed suit. I found I was much less interested this year.

I’ve come to conclude I don’t like the pick-new-teams-every-week format. In a team sport, you need teams. I’m sure it’s fun for the players to mix-and-match every week, but unless you are following quite closely, you simply don’t know who is on what team and when they will be on TV each week.

I continue to find the point system crazy. It does nothing for me.

My interest, to the extent I retain any, is to watch players I have come to like over the years. But I’m not interested enough to pay money to ESPN for their streaming service.

It does look like the crowds were a bit bigger this year, but US lacrosse is a very small facility. I’ve been there a few times, once for a big high school game. The fans at that game were hanging off the rafters, I think, on all four sides. Certainly there were a lot of fans standing on the concourse and across the way on the grass. Didn’t see any of that at the AU games.
Zero interest this year from my daughter. She asked me to take her last year in 97 degree heat to watch them. I don’t think she watched a second of it this year. And yes she got older but during the college season she watched tons of lax.
DMac

Post by DMac »

For all those not watching/not interested, stay away from ESPN+ this evening starting at 5:00.
Final week....Team Moreno looks mighty tough.
Love Thursdays!!!
HailMaryPass

Post by HailMaryPass »

Love Moreno but hoping Apuzzo comes out on top by the end of this weekend.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Feel the same, it's mighty tough though. I do think the GKs have an advantage in racking up some significant points in a game.
Fast paced games, shorter field, shot clock...gonna be a lot of shots per game. All others really have to chase after their points.
In the last game last season Moreno stuffed Sam a couple of times on shots she normally puts in, did the same last week, she seems to step up to Sam when it most matters (points competition wise). We'll see what happens....but don't tell those not interested/not watching. ;)
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Not sure why you are jabbing people not interested.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not jabbing anyone, just having a little harmless and light hearted fun.
Shoulda known there'd be the overly sensitive, I guess. So sorry (not).
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

DMac wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:26 am Not jabbing anyone, just having a little harmless and light hearted fun.
Yikes - people are too sensitive. I’m with you Dmac - I really look forward to these games. The level of play is sooo good!!
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

DMac wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:26 am Not jabbing anyone, just having a little harmless and light hearted fun.
Wasn’t sensitive clown. Just didn’t know why two people were referencing people not interested. Sometimes jokes don’t take well in writing. That wasn’t funny. Wasn’t insulting either. Just wasn’t funny.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You're making an issue out of nothing...not going to participate in the name calling.
Just don't read it and you'll be okay.
HailMaryPass

Post by HailMaryPass »

DMac wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:54 am Feel the same, it's mighty tough though. I do think the GKs have an advantage in racking up some significant points in a game.
Fast paced games, shorter field, shot clock...gonna be a lot of shots per game. All others really have to chase after their points.
In the last game last season Moreno stuffed Sam a couple of times on shots she normally puts in, did the same last week, she seems to step up to Sam when it most matters (points competition wise). We'll see what happens....but don't tell those not interested/not watching. ;)
I somewhat appreciate that the goalkeepers have a point advantage, they don't get enough recognition in other levels of the sport and have to fight for their spot a bit more. Moreno not playing in high school and coming out on top in college and pro is a great way to highlight her as a goalie. Plus she is having a great pro season, didn't she have a game with 20+ saves or something?? So although I want Apuzzo to win, Moreno in first place is and will be more than well deserved.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Joe
Also remember this week is regional finals of little league World Series. This will outdraw 80% of all ESPN programming, including MLB games.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”