Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FMUBart

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by FMUBart »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:39 pm what about tiffany? isn't he from cny and with a defensive background?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill Tierney is a Cortland guy; Jack Emmer now lives in CNY!
viho

Post by viho »

The only time a defenseman ever refrained from picking up a ground ball behind his cage, waited for the attack man to arrive only to scream “pick it up” just so he could throw a takeaway check…give the DC to Beardsley. High upside.😆
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per Xanders tweets

Sounds like @CuseMLAX’s search for a def. coordinator is progressing — hearing that 🍊 will have at least two candidates on campus this week.

Also heard that one ACC assistant recently pulled out of contention and a Big 10 assistant declined Syracuse’s inquiry when contacted.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

They've made their hire. John Odierna, the former coach at Manhattan College.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

I think you guys should be very, very happy with this result.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Looks like a Red Shirt freshman year for Scott,

Tweet

Ty Xanders

@tyxanders
The face-off for tonight’s
@NewBalanceLax
Senior All-American Game has been bumped to 8:30 on
@ESPNU
. While we wait, some injury & replacement notes:
-For North, Leo Hoffman (M/@PennMensLax), Andrew Greenspan (FO/@NDlacrosse) and Willem Firth (A/@CornellLacrosse) are out. Hoffman’s injury is the most severe,
a dislocated shoulder suffered last month.
-For South, Sean Creter (FO/@TerpsMLax) and

Donny Scott (D/@CuseMLAX) are out, with Scott having suffered a torn ACL while playing box last month.

-Jake Melchionni (LSM/@NovaLacrosse) and Kyle Foster (D/@OhioStateMLAX) have been added as replacements
8:00 PM · Jul 29, 2023
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:15 pm Looks like a Red Shirt freshman year for Scott,

Tweet

Ty Xanders

@tyxanders
The face-off for tonight’s
@NewBalanceLax
Senior All-American Game has been bumped to 8:30 on
@ESPNU
. While we wait, some injury & replacement notes:
-For North, Leo Hoffman (M/@PennMensLax), Andrew Greenspan (FO/@NDlacrosse) and Willem Firth (A/@CornellLacrosse) are out. Hoffman’s injury is the most severe,
a dislocated shoulder suffered last month.
-For South, Sean Creter (FO/@TerpsMLax) and

Donny Scott (D/@CuseMLAX) are out, with Scott having suffered a torn ACL while playing box last month.

-Jake Melchionni (LSM/@NovaLacrosse) and Kyle Foster (D/@OhioStateMLAX) have been added as replacements
8:00 PM · Jul 29, 2023
For sure, best case scenario is probably April which by that point why bother/waste a year of eligibility. Sucks for Scott but SU was looking at a numbers crunch at close with Figurerias back and Olexxo staying at close full time. This all but assures Dwan will be the third starter.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Dwan is a large and very fundamentally sound defender who should have stayed in lineup last year. He may not be a one but his sound play lends to a coordinated unit. Defensive depth has been lacking in recent years but that will not be the case this year . New D coach has plenty to work with along with arguably the best goalie in college game . Cuse has reloaded with top recruits and top transfers. Young offensive talent is such that a talented youngster such as Leo gets overlooked. Hiltz is simply one of the games the best . Mule is underrated, Stevens will be a AA . Expect a jump back into top ten.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

stupefied wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:37 am Dwan is a large and very fundamentally sound defender who should have stayed in lineup last year. He may not be a one but his sound play lends to a coordinated unit. Defensive depth has been lacking in recent years but that will not be the case this year . New D coach has plenty to work with along with arguably the best goalie in college game . Cuse has reloaded with top recruits and top transfers. Young offensive talent is such that a talented youngster such as Leo gets overlooked. Hiltz is simply one of the games the best . Mule is underrated, Stevens will be a AA . Expect a jump back into top ten.
Syracuse should be good next year. I think the biggest question for next years team, along with maybe Kohn's transition to the DI game, is the short stick defensive midfielders. Often overlooked, a weak SSDM can be disastrous to a defense. Syracuse did not get good play from that unit last year and lost it's top player (Aviles) to Hopkins in the offseason. Curious how Odierna works with that group. Surprised they didn't bring in more reinforcements from the transfer portal to be honest.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Powellfan22 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:10 pm
stupefied wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:37 am Dwan is a large and very fundamentally sound defender who should have stayed in lineup last year. He may not be a one but his sound play lends to a coordinated unit. Defensive depth has been lacking in recent years but that will not be the case this year . New D coach has plenty to work with along with arguably the best goalie in college game . Cuse has reloaded with top recruits and top transfers. Young offensive talent is such that a talented youngster such as Leo gets overlooked. Hiltz is simply one of the games the best . Mule is underrated, Stevens will be a AA . Expect a jump back into top ten.
Syracuse should be good next year. I think the biggest question for next years team, along with maybe Kohn's transition to the DI game, is the short stick defensive midfielders. Often overlooked, a weak SSDM can be disastrous to a defense. Syracuse did not get good play from that unit last year and lost it's top player (Aviles) to Hopkins in the offseason. Curious how Odierna works with that group. Surprised they didn't bring in more reinforcements from the transfer portal to be honest.
Agreed. Petro can overcomplicate a defense causing indecision, which is still a decision on the field.

I think Dwan simplifies the defense while adapting to to the free flow offense, which in the end stretches the defenses abilities. Much like how Lars adapted to to a Kirwan offense.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Yeah, Petro can't coach :roll:
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:41 am Yeah, Petro can't coach :roll:
Sarcasm aside. He didn't say he can't coach. He is obviously a legend and leader of men. He is a savant and adds so much nuance to the fundamentals of any defender. But that can lead to thinking instead of playing sometimes for some players. That's a real thing.

I just searched for '23 Cuse lax on Youtube and the Hobart game was the first one. Go watch the first two 'Bart goals. 1st one, they move from an empty to a 2-3-1 with a shorty behind. Crease and adjacent watch him blow by to his left. Was this an island set? Did the keeper not communicate the need to go? Hesitant movement. 2nd one, 'Bart gets Hiltz hung up in an SSDM matchup. Simple split to his right and a bull dodge at GLE. No early call. One pole gives up on the switch to go cover the middie barreling in. Two poles in the area. There a few other examples in the highlights of that game, which they won handily. Not saying Petro's scheme and planning is 100% responsible, but I personally don't think that more complexity on that side of the ball is a good thing. Which I believe is what youthathletics was saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WViS-RfzH-Y
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Who knows?! Maybe the plan was to not slide? Laughable that there's a set that Petro hasn't seen and I'm sure he schemed for all of them. In any event, SU's defense-historically-was to extend out, get the ball on the ground and run in transition. There are many reasons that this doesn't work anymore(no longer having the best talent, re-designed stick, on and on). Last I played, "thinking" was a big part of the game..
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

For sure man, he's seen it all. Multiple times.

Same here :lol: although I probably did less thinking than most.

I've seen really astute players get caught between ideas a coach was teaching. Froze them. That was the point I was making. KISS.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Nice article re: Spallina w mentions of several other players wbo played box.this sumner.

GG likes to play fasr. With the transfers, new first years it looks like he has the tools to do it well
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

I think its great for the game to have a competitive Cuse team  But I think they are at least another year away.

With the schedule they play, I'm not sure where I see the additional wins until they can win more face-offs or stop teams from scoring.

I hope to be wrong, but if they play the same schedule as last year, I can't find 10 wins, which I likely what they will need.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

Syracuse G Matt Palumb and current college and pro official with plenty of SU recollections.

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... ef-e2afts8
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:04 pm I think its great for the game to have a competitive Cuse team  But I think they are at least another year away.

With the schedule they play, I'm not sure where I see the additional wins until they can win more face-offs or stop teams from scoring.

I hope to be wrong, but if they play the same schedule as last year, I can't find 10 wins, which I likely what they will need.
Johnny Mullen is an absolute freak at FO. Top 1% work ethic and hand speed. Beyond gritty. They may take awhile to work him into the lineup as a freshman, but he will have an impact.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

See Pat March has been elevated to Associate Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”