Keuka (NY)
Lawrence (WI-2025)
Lycoming (PA)
Mount St. Joseph (OH)
Pitt-Bradford (PA-2025)
Thiel (PA)

Filled:

Eastern (PA) - Colin Piper (Interim Currently), Eastern AC
So just curious …. How does everyone rank the available positions? I see Ithaca as 1a and Haverford as 1b (could be convinced to switch them potentially) … and Catholic as 3.

Lycoming maybe a diamond in the rough?
Any comments?
I see Catholic as the most attractive job out there right now.
I have always thought that with the right coach Catholic could become a powerhouse D3 program. Good academics, great location and a manageable AQ every year, weather is fine. I don't know if the admin supports the program, how they pay the coach, whether the facilities suck, etc. Carlini is good, facilities look - from the photos - a little small and dated.
Catholic needs to find a guy that wants to be there, and stay and build something great.
Per Catholic, being in DC is a positive and a negative. Positive would be obvious reasons, location, AQ, etc. The big negative is DC and the cost of living. No chance this jobs pays what it takes to be “middle class” in DC. The facilities are Ok, but it is a former middle school I believe converted in to Athletic facilities. Field is nice but I believe it is a few blocks from campus. Their best bet is to find a local guy because to pick up and move to DC for a what a coach’s salary is would be insanity.
VTLaxGuy

Re: Coaching Carousel 2023 - D3

Post by VTLaxGuy »

laxrules wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:06 pm In my opinion based on tradition, location and competitive chance in their conference.

Ithaca

Catholic
Haverford
Lycoming
Eastern Connecticut
Spot on to list East Conn among the better openings this year. While having the facility off campus is a small deterrent, their other sports have managed to do just fine playing at the same location: Baseball won the NCAA Title last year, and won the conference this year. Softball is a national power who got an at large this year. Men's soccer was league champ and played in NCAA tournament in 2021, and made the conference semi-final this fall.

It looks to be a school that clearly supports athletics, in a state that has some top caliber lacrosse talent. The conference has has had a first time champion in two of the last three years, so no real dynastic programs to try and leapfrog like the Ithaca and Haverford jobs will have to deal with.

I haven't done the digging but I've been told that the former coaches salary can be found online as it's a public job....sounds like it would blow some minds how well taken care of he was....If that holds true for the next hire, East Conn should be at or near the top of the list for qualified candidates.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

VTLaxGuy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:51 pm
laxrules wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:06 pm In my opinion based on tradition, location and competitive chance in their conference.

Ithaca

Catholic
Haverford
Lycoming
Eastern Connecticut
Spot on to list East Conn among the better openings this year. While having the facility off campus is a small deterrent, their other sports have managed to do just fine playing at the same location: Baseball won the NCAA Title last year, and won the conference this year. Softball is a national power who got an at large this year. Men's soccer was league champ and played in NCAA tournament in 2021, and made the conference semi-final this fall.

It looks to be a school that clearly supports athletics, in a state that has some top caliber lacrosse talent. The conference has has had a first time champion in two of the last three years, so no real dynastic programs to try and leapfrog like the Ithaca and Haverford jobs will have to deal with.

I haven't done the digging but I've been told that the former coaches salary can be found online as it's a public job....sounds like it would blow some minds how well taken care of he was....If that holds true for the next hire, East Conn should be at or near the top of the list for qualified candidates.
64k in ‘22 is well taken care of….?
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

River Donkey wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:12 pm 64k in ‘22 is well taken care of….?
Have you seen some of these other "state" institutions and the salaries they have listed?

Yes 64k is well taken care of :lol:
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

Leonard Washington wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:33 pm
River Donkey wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:12 pm 64k in ‘22 is well taken care of….?
Have you seen some of these other "state" institutions and the salaries they have listed?

Yes 64k is well taken care of :lol:
Here's where my buddy found the info he gave me:

https://openpayroll.ct.gov/

I have a hard time listing somebody's salary on a message board, but I'll point people to where they can find it themselves.....if this site is correct, I think it could be one of the most well taken care of jobs in D3.
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

How much do you think D3 coaches make?
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

D3LaxFan2 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:25 pm
How much do you think D3 coaches make?
Obviously it depends on where you coach but 64k isn’t getting you anywhere in CT. But 60’s would be average for D3.
Leonard Washington

River Donkey wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:30 pm But 60’s would be average for D3.
I'll take the under on that one.

Close but I'd leave more along the lines of high 40s or low 50s
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

There is a reason why young coaches leave the profession in droves....
Leonard Washington

Nosey Ned wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:07 am So just curious …. How does everyone rank the available positions?
Based on positions currently available (not counting SUNY Morrisville and their posting as Cooper should be returning), it all depends if you are looking for salary, facilities, way of life/cost of living, chance to compete for a conference title, admin support etc. That being said, IMO;

1. Ithaca
2. Haverford
3. Eastern Connecticut State
4. Catholic
5. Immaculata
6. Alma
7. Keuka
8. Lycoming
9. Augustana
10. Thiel
11. Mount St. Joseph
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

Leonard Washington wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:27 am
Nosey Ned wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:07 am So just curious …. How does everyone rank the available positions?
Based on positions currently available (not counting SUNY Morrisville and their posting as Cooper should be returning), it all depends if you are looking for salary, facilities, way of life/cost of living, chance to compete for a conference title, admin support etc. That being said, IMO;

1. Ithaca
2. Haverford
4. Catholic
5. Immaculata
6. Alma
7. Keuka
8. Lycoming
9. Augustana
10. Thiel
11. Mount St. Joseph
To me the list more like

1. Ithaca(Tough to win the L League tho)
2. Catholic(It would be my #1 if it wasn't for the fact that the salary is mid 60s and DC rent is one of the highest in the country)
Small Gap
3 Haverford(still a great job but playing in the CC makes this very difficult as you are probably the 2nd least supported program)
4. EConn
Small Gap
5. Lycoming(sneaky very good job)
6. Immaculata(you can make the conference playoffs but you ceiling is the AE championship game and getting crushed by Cabrini)
Gap
7. Augustana(They have had success in the past)
8.Alma
Large Gap
9.Keuka
10. Theil
11. MSJ
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:40 am
Leonard Washington wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:27 am

1. Ithaca
2. Haverford
4. Catholic
5. Immaculata
6. Alma
7. Keuka
8. Lycoming
9. Augustana
10. Thiel
11. Mount St. Joseph
To me the list more like

1. Ithaca(Tough to win the L League tho)
2. Catholic(It would be my #1 if it wasn't for the fact that the salary is mid 60s and DC rent is one of the highest in the country)
Small Gap
3 Haverford(still a great job but playing in the CC makes this very difficult as you are probably the 2nd least supported program)
4. EConn
Small Gap
5. Lycoming(sneaky very good job)
6. Immaculata(you can make the conference playoffs but you ceiling is the AE championship game and getting crushed by Cabrini)
Gap
7. Augustana(They have had success in the past)
8.Alma
Large Gap
9.Keuka
10. Theil
11. MSJ
I agree with moving the Lycoming job up ahead of Immaculata.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

Hearing Muskingum (OH) is open, coach went club in Maryland
laxinaround23

Post by laxinaround23 »

River Donkey wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:12 pm
VTLaxGuy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:51 pm

Ithaca

Catholic
Haverford
Lycoming
Eastern Connecticut

64k in ‘22 is well taken care of….?
64k would be the starting salary...Given this is a State job, I would assume it gradually increases yearly, with a cap close to six figures.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

The narrative on coaching pay will always be underestimated.
The reason for it the jobs that continue to open are the lesser paying jobs. I would imagine the salaries of the coaches who have been at their places for 12-15+ years are making a very comfortable living. So those jobs don’t turnover.
The jobs that turnover are the ones who don’t pay enough and are the reason why those jobs turnover so often. We are speaking about the bottom 10% of the industry.
lilax

Post by lilax »

laxrules wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:23 am The narrative on coaching pay will always be underestimated.
The reason for it the jobs that continue to open are the lesser paying jobs. I would imagine the salaries of the coaches who have been at their places for 12-15+ years are making a very comfortable living. So those jobs don’t turnover.
The jobs that turnover are the ones who don’t pay enough and are the reason why those jobs turnover so often. We are speaking about the bottom 10% of the industry.
Yes and no, there are also other factors.

Mainly wives pay. A friend of mine’s son coached D2 and D3. Apparently the running joke in the coaching circles is “If you want to keep coaching, find a doctor and marry her.”

There are very few coaching jobs that pay 6 figures. Most assistants are between 30k and 50k. At the DIII level, most of the assistant coaching salaries are also fundraised through parents and alumni.

Coaches have been trying to supplement their income with Camps and prospect days.

The assistant coaching applicant pool is very low these days. Most are just trying to get their graduate degree for reduced costs, and then moving on.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

Yeah I wasn't speaking about assistants pay.
I was speaking about head coaches. I am sure some of that is true but I would say that at least 40-50 of 240 d3 HC are in the 6 figure range. Now I do realize that 6 figures isn't what it used to be but I would bet it is more than a few. And in a lot of these cases those coaches stay put.
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

laxrules wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:52 am Yeah I wasn't speaking about assistants pay.
I was speaking about head coaches. I am sure some of that is true but I would say that at least 40-50 of 240 d3 HC are in the 6 figure range. Now I do realize that 6 figures isn't what it used to be but I would bet it is more than a few. And in a lot of these cases those coaches stay put.
NO CHANCE that 50 coaches at D3 make 6 figures!
laxinaround23

Post by laxinaround23 »

HomerCoach wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:03 am
laxrules wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:52 am Yeah I wasn't speaking about assistants pay.
NO CHANCE that 50 coaches at D3 make 6 figures!
Wouldn't be surprised at all! Close to it, anyway.
Leonard Washington

laxinaround23 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:07 am Wouldn't be surprised at all! Close to it, anyway.
Less than 10%...if that

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”