Coaching Carousel 2023 - D1

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Coaching Carousel 2023 - D1

Post by jhu06 »

Asgot wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:49 am I will say one that many here will probably balk at Brecht at Rutgers. His best teams we loaded with transfers and his recruiting has been subpar compared to his conference rivals. He has underperformed in terms of staff and retention. Rutgers has invested a lot of money into the facilities there and will be looking to build a lacrosse-only facility he will have to start sowing an ability to maintain a high level in both playing, coaching, and recruiting. The cupboard may not be bear at Rutgers but there are certainly slim pickings right now
21 seniors, 15 transfers, 6th in the conference. I don't understand that roster construction.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Asgot wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:49 am I will say one that many here will probably balk at Brecht at Rutgers. His best teams we loaded with transfers and his recruiting has been subpar compared to his conference rivals. He has underperformed in terms of staff and retention. Rutgers has invested a lot of money into the facilities there and will be looking to build a lacrosse-only facility he will have to start sowing an ability to maintain a high level in both playing, coaching, and recruiting. The cupboard may not be bear at Rutgers but there are certainly slim pickings right now
I know he was extended in 2019 through this current season. Did he get another extension after the Final Four last year?

Rutgers has several built-in recruiting disadvantages compared with top 10 teams. There's a reason they can't compete for these in-state Lawrenceville and Delbarton kids. But I have a hard time believing they wouldn't keep him just a year removed from the Final Four, even if it was greatly aided by the transfer portal that everyone saw then and sees even clearer now is an unsustainable way to build up a program. That seems like about as good as anyone is going to be able to do there.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Hearing a couple Head Coach's are getting let go soon.
Last edited by GaitsRightHand on Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backinshape

Post by Backinshape »

Breschi and Brecht being discussed in a hot-seat conversation after recent final 4 showing begs me to ask the question- does finishing in last place of a 5 team ACC and a 6 team Big 10 automatically make your seat hot?
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

These are a couple of very good points.
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:51 am I'm particularly disagreeing with those who think any jamoke with HC experience can step in and do better.
If showing up every Memorial Day weekend was easy, everybody would do it. There is a small cadre of teams/coaches that have demonstrated an ability to do so - and even they (well except UMD) have off periods.

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:51 am But when a change does work, ala what we've seen at UVA (when the "culture" there seemed broken toward the end of Starsia's great career), it requires a HC who has a very clear concept of the new culture to be built, that 'fits' well with the history and is attractive to the kinds of recruits to be sought.
It is blending the three that is key: 1) clear vision; 2) Fit for school and program; 3) that attracts players that will add to the culture. Frankly, I think this is what great coaching is. The X's and O's are not where head coaches make their names.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
August

Post by August »

Towson (+1600) OSU (+1100) Bucknell (+1000) UNC (+300) Rutgers (-115) ...

Towson: Nads is the perfect fit there but expensive. Cant see him being pushed out unless its about money.

OSU: No comments needed.

Bucknell: Coach F is a great person and coach but has a tough time recruiting or has a real lack of scholarship support- I dont know.

UNC: Annual winner of "Does the Least with the Most" and "Players Who Cant Get Away Fast Enough".

Rutgers: Brecht is awesome and sure hope he stays but R is pouring money in and that means alumni will have a bigger voice / seat at the table. I think Brecht is in the cross hairs of passionate and wealthy alumni.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

August wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:41 pm Towson (+1600) OSU (+1100) Bucknell (+1000) UNC (+300) Rutgers (-115) ...

Towson: Nads is the perfect fit there but expensive. Cant see him being pushed out unless its about money.

Bucknell: Coach F is a great person and coach but has a tough time recruiting or has a real lack of scholarship support- I dont know.

UNC: Annual winner of "Does the Least with the Most" and "Players Who Cant Get Away Fast Enough".

Rutgers: Brecht is awesome and sure hope he stays but R is pouring money in and that means alumni will have a bigger voice / seat at the table. I think Brecht is in the cross hairs of passionate and wealthy alumni.
What do you specifically mean with UNC when you say "Players Who Can't Get Away Fast Enough?" Who have they lost in their program that was significant except for Grad Transfers?
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Brownlax wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:13 pm
August wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:41 pm Towson (+1600) OSU (+1100) Bucknell (+1000) UNC (+300) Rutgers (-115) ...

What do you specifically mean with UNC when you say "Players Who Can't Get Away Fast Enough?" Who have they lost in their program that was significant except for Grad Transfers?
Will Bowen was pretty significant. I know he's technically a grad transfer but I don't think that should be carelessly dismissed? The others who have left that I can recall.

Alex Trippi, Nicky Solomon, Cole Herbert, Jacob Kelly, Luke Millican, Brian Cameron
thegman

Post by thegman »

Powellfan22 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:07 pm

Will Bowen was pretty significant. I know he's technically a grad transfer but I don't think that should be carelessly dismissed? The others who have left that I can recall.

Alex Trippi, Nicky Solomon, Cole Herbert, Jacob Kelly, Luke Millican, Brian Cameron
Who wouldn't miss Bowen but word was widespread he left for an academic program not offered at UNC (which was at Gtown) leading Bowen to his final destination of an Ivy MBA. That could be complete BS but I remember Quint joking about it during broadcasts saying Warne needed to send Breschi some really nice Xmas gifts for the foreseeable future.

RE: other names mentioned, Kelly is the one that hurts as a Heels fan. Dad (Calvert hall HC)/brother (Jacob) played for the Heels, but little bro is going to Gtown?

Not a Breschi apologist but he's had some tough luck on big-time recruits. UVa #50 was committed until Stanford football called (I believe he was #1 in his class), Nicky Galasso (#1 in his class) was injury prone, left UNC for SU, etc.

Hope Breschi can right the ship, he's a solid guy but I miss the Scroggs era!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

thegman wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:08 pm

Who wouldn't miss Bowen but word was widespread he left for an academic program not offered at UNC (which was at Gtown) leading Bowen to his final destination of an Ivy MBA. That could be complete BS but I remember Quint joking about it during broadcasts saying Warne needed to send Breschi some really nice Xmas gifts for the foreseeable future.

RE: other names mentioned, Kelly is the one that hurts as a Heels fan. Dad (Calvert hall HC)/brother (Jacob) played for the Heels, but little bro is going to Gtown?

Not a Breschi apologist but he's had some tough luck on big-time recruits. UVa #50 was committed until Stanford football called (I believe he was #1 in his class), Nicky Galasso (#1 in his class) was injury prone, left UNC for SU, etc.

Hope Breschi can right the ship, he's a solid guy but I miss the Scroggs era!
Scroggs-EQUALLY amazing in both recruiting and coaching!!
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Will Bowen graduated in 3 years and is in a masters program that UNC did not offer.
August

Post by August »

There are a disproportionate number of players that entered UNC and never improved, got worse, didn't reach their potential, or quit vs. those that got better and were eager to spend a fifth year there- especially players that entered as top-recruits. No doubt Breschi is good recruiter and talks a good gam (and UNC is great place to spend 4 years of college) but it is not reasonable to believe they are a championship lacrosse program. They are year-in year-out an average team of exceptional talent. Which their opponents are perfectly satisfied with.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

August wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:37 pm There are a disproportionate number of players that entered UNC and never improved, got worse, didn't reach their potential, or quit vs. those that got better and were eager to spend a fifth year there- especially players that entered as top-recruits. No doubt Breschi is good recruiter and talks a good gam (and UNC is great place to spend 4 years of college) but it is not reasonable to believe they are a championship lacrosse program. They are year-in year-out an average team of exceptional talent. Which their opponents are perfectly satisfied with.
Yes. With what they have to offer, they should be as powerful a program as any other. The truth is, I think UVA and UNC, as I have said, are the easiest sells for talent.
HGK

Post by HGK »

I am not a UNC fan, although I certainly having nothing against them either. To say that a program that has won 5 NCAA titles and been to 14 FFs is not a championship caliber program is ridiculous. Recently, they were in the FF in 2021 and won it all 2016. I don’t disagree that they might underachieve some years given the talent they get but you can’t deny that they have a record of success many other programs would love to claim.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

HGK wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:48 pm I am not a UNC fan, although I certainly having nothing against them either. To say that a program that has won 5 NCAA titles and been to 14 FFs is not a championship caliber program is ridiculous. Recently, they were in the FF in 2021 and won it all 2016. I don’t disagree that they might underachieve some years given the talent they get but you can’t deny that they have a record of success many other programs would love to claim.
You are totally right! They definitely ARE. The thing is, when it comes to programs that are regularly title contenders in this day and age and forever, UNC should in the top two or three.
August

Post by August »

In the 80's they were very good- 35-40 years ago. In the past 30 YEARS they have been to the championship once (and won) and the Final Four twice and missed the tournament ELEVEN times. They have never had a Tewaaratan winner and have but one or two other positional winners (if it wasn't for Gray (the transfer) it would be even worse). That is NOT a championship level program. It is one of the easiest, if not easiest, college to recruit to as another poster commented. My beef is, as a member of the best conference in college lacrosse, they are the doormat.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

August wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:02 pm In the 80's they were very good- 35-40 years ago. In the past 30 YEARS they have been to the championship once (and won) and the Final Four twice and missed the tournament ELEVEN times. They have never had a Tewaaratan winner and have but one or two other positional winners (if it wasn't for Gray (the transfer) it would be even worse). That is NOT a championship level program. It is one of the easiest, if not easiest, college to recruit to as another poster commented. My beef is, as a member of the best conference in college lacrosse, they are the doormat.
Well, let's say that they have the POTENTIAL to be a regular championship-caliber and top program.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

August wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:02 pm In the 80's they were very good- 35-40 years ago. In the past 30 YEARS they have been to the championship once (and won) and the Final Four twice and missed the tournament ELEVEN times. They have never had a Tewaaratan winner and have but one or two other positional winners (if it wasn't for Gray (the transfer) it would be even worse). That is NOT a championship level program. It is one of the easiest, if not easiest, college to recruit to as another poster commented. My beef is, as a member of the best conference in college lacrosse, they are the doormat.
What could possibly define a "championship program" other than winning a championship? Do you have to win more than one? Is there a cut-off in time since winning the championship?
August

Post by August »

"Potential" I would agree with. Talent, I would agree with. This is why the coaching staff should be/could be feeling the pressure to win more consistently. Alumni expect better results or at least the hope of being able to make a run in the playoffs. Of late, alumni have been holding their breath to see if the team simply gets in.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

August wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:11 pm "Potential" I would agree with. Talent, I would agree with. This is why the coaching staff should be/could be feeling the pressure to win more consistently. Alumni expect better results or at least the hope of being able to make a run in the playoffs. Of late, alumni have been holding their breath to see if the team simply gets in.
Yes, that is all very true.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”