Military readiness

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
OCanada

Re: Military readiness

Post by OCanada »

Tubby is doing this to keep key positions open for Trump to appoint loyalists if he becomes President. Has zero to do w abortion. The military protected the Constitution Trump wants to trash. OC supports Trump
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:45 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:28 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:19 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:16 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:42 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:12 pm The Chief of the Marines Was Hospitalized Without a Number Two in Command

So is Tuberville trying to McConnell/Garland this through the next election so R's can push through Trumper officers?
There is no list of Trumpier officers.
Are you sure of that? Can't find more Flynns?
Not that many nut jobs in the military?

Apparently there's a Trump support group working very hard right now looking to figure out who will be "loyal" to Trump (rather than the Constitution) for other roles, why not the military?

To be clear, I don't think that's what Tuberville is doing but I don't think we should have any illusions about what a Trump Unbound election would mean in every part of government. And that includes the military.

Trump was furious about the pushback he received when push came to shove and Milley rebuked efforts to have the military be used either as a partisan prop or as a partisan domestic suppression force violating the Constitution. You don't talk about executing an officer like Milley and then hire people with Milley's judgment and cojones next time.
You have no clue about how the military promotion selection process works.
I don't ????
How the F would you know what I know? :roll:

I'm saying that whatever process you and I and anyone else on here would WANT to have happen in the process of putting people in positions of authority in ANY part of the government could easily be tossed aside in a Trump Unbound MAGA Unbound world. They've already talked about 'slitting throats' of civil servants, firing civil servants totally against the rules of service, they've already talked about putting political foes "in Guantanamo", advocated trials for "treason", and they've already been talking about gutting DOJ/FBI replacing career personnel with partisan hacks...against the rules and traditions.

so, why would the military be immune?

Again, this is totally against all prior processes, traditions, protocols...that's the point of Trump Unbound. MAGA Unbound.

Der Leader commands...
Not a EZ as you imagine. The process is governed by law. POTUS does not select. He approves or disapproves of the selectees sent to him, customarily by list, in total.
Obviously.

But so too is the law dealing with civil service.

What I suggest that you and I and everyone else on here should be concerned about is Trump Unbound, MAGA Unbound.

Where prior laws, protocols, traditions are simply ignored, 'changed', by a populist, nationalist, "Christian" authoritarian regime unconstrained anymore by such rules.

Trump has multiple times declared that he thinks the Constitution can and should be ignored, suspended. That laws do not constrain the powers of the President, that the power of the Presidency "trump" any other power. And he has declared a commitment to "retribution", mentioning punishment for "treason". His prominent ideological supporters have been outspoken about this for years, but have grown increasingly strident now. And they're taking action to be prepared for the resumption of power to actually match these words with action. Which preparations Trump has publicly supported.

Note, they know from the prior 4 years in power that they fell just short of achieving ongoing, locked-in power by just a few (GOP, not MAGA) personnel at the state and federal levels, and a military leadership not willing to be a tool for securing partisan power. Insufficiently "loyal" to the man in power. Who they actually believe is uniquely capable of 'leadership', indeed for many, 'anointed by God'. They've said these beliefs and intentions aloud.

They should be believed, literally.

Those are the most important stakes in the next election.

That doesn't mean that a voter needs to be comfortable with Biden and Democrats generally, and certainly it doesn't mean that individual acts of corruption or illegality within the ranks of those seeking power shouldn't be confronted and be held accountable. They should.

Nor that policy prescriptions shouldn't be debated and advocated vociferously. They should.

But we do not face the same sort of risk to ongoing democracy and the rule of law with that choice in 2024. Perhaps someday a populist "Democrat" will emerge who poses such a risk, but Biden and his Administration don't come remotely close.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:56 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:12 pm The Chief of the Marines Was Hospitalized Without a Number Two in Command

So is Tuberville trying to McConnell/Garland this through the next election so R's can push through Trumper officers?

Apparently there's a Trump support group working very hard right now looking to figure out who will be "loyal" to Trump (rather than the Constitution) for other roles, why not the military?

To be clear, I don't think that's what Tuberville is doing but I don't think we should have any illusions about what a Trump Unbound election would mean in every part of government. And that includes the military.

Trump was furious about the pushback he received when push came to shove and Milley rebuked efforts to have the military be used either as a partisan prop or as a partisan domestic suppression force violating the Constitution. You don't talk about executing an officer like Milley and then hire people with Milley's judgment and cojones next time.
I don't ????

I'm saying that whatever process you and I and anyone else on here would WANT to have happen in the process of putting people in positions of authority in ANY part of the government could easily be tossed aside in a Trump Unbound MAGA Unbound world. They've already talked about 'slitting throats' of civil servants, firing civil servants totally against the rules of service, they've already talked about putting political foes "in Guantanamo", advocated trials for "treason", and they've already been talking about gutting DOJ/FBI replacing career personnel with partisan hacks...against the rules and traditions.

Again, this is totally against all prior processes, traditions, protocols...that's the point of Trump Unbound. MAGA Unbound.

Der Leader commands...
Not a EZ as you imagine. The process is governed by law. POTUS does not select. He approves or disapproves of the selectees sent to him, customarily by list, in total.
Obviously.

What I suggest that you and I and everyone else on here should be concerned about is Trump Unbound, MAGA Unbound.

Where prior laws, protocols, traditions are simply ignored, 'changed', by a populist, nationalist, "Christian" authoritarian regime unconstrained anymore by such rules.

Trump has multiple times declared that he thinks the Constitution can and should be ignored, suspended. That laws do not constrain the powers of the President, that the power of the Presidency "trump" any other power. And he has declared a commitment to "retribution", mentioning punishment for "treason". His prominent ideological supporters have been outspoken about this for years, but have grown increasingly strident now. And they're taking action to be prepared for the resumption of power to actually match these words with action. Which preparations Trump has publicly supported.

Note, they know from the prior 4 years in power that they fell just short of achieving ongoing, locked-in power by just a few (GOP, not MAGA) personnel at the state and federal levels, and a military leadership not willing to be a tool for securing partisan power. Insufficiently "loyal" to the man in power. Who they actually believe is uniquely capable of 'leadership', indeed for many, 'anointed by God'. They've said these beliefs and intentions aloud.

That doesn't mean that a voter needs to be comfortable with Biden and Democrats generally, and certainly it doesn't mean that individual acts of corruption or illegality within the ranks of those seeking power shouldn't be confronted and be held accountable. They should.

Nor that policy prescriptions shouldn't be debated and advocated vociferously. They should.

But we do not face the same sort of risk to ongoing democracy and the rule of law with that choice in 2024. Perhaps someday a populist "Democrat" will emerge who poses such a risk, but Biden and his Administration don't come remotely close.
Using “Trump unbound” is too close to Prometheus Unbound for my tastes…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Currently, Afghanistan is now the culminating location for all things AQ, who is currently ramping up. We can walk and chew gum.....leave Afghanistan and still maintain enough presence for intel and a closer pulse.

If want the cliffs notes, listen to this clip starting at 47:14, : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEj_MbMDciY . Real details around 52:00...it is scary stuff. Around 53:00 we learn about how AQ is the head of the snake "main vein".

I'd encourage you listen to both episodes, it is some very detailed intel.
Part 1= https://youtu.be/qSn-hC9H-EM?si=e7UIGwud2Hhtw80V
Part 2 = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEj_MbMDciY
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

I don't ????

Der Leader commands...
Obviously.

:roll: ...too bad Trinity is no longer hanging out here. He could help you with the screenplay for Trump Unbound.

Be sure to include the battles on Ivy League campuses between the Palestinian Students Association terrorists & the MAGA WCN militia.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:20 pm

I don't ????

Der Leader commands...
Obviously.

:roll: ...too bad Trinity is no longer hanging out here. He could help you with the screenplay for Trump Unbound.

Be sure to include the battles on Ivy League campuses between the Palestinian Students Association terrorists & the MAGA WCN militia.
I'm good with how my Ivy alma mater, Dartmouth, is handling the current situation. Constructive dialogue led jointly by Middle Eastern Studies and Jewish Studies professors and Chairs, clear condemnation of the terrorist acts of Oct 7, etc. Two pro Palestinian protestors were just arrested, at the request of the President of the College, for threats of potential violence, breaching College rules.

I don't need Trinity, thank you. re Trump Unbound. I have plenty of company in my concerns. Some of these were even written before the election denials, refusal to concede power, and Jan 6:

https://www.economist.com/united-states ... mp-unbound

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/06/trump-unbound/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN2002S4

https://www.aclu.org/news/civil-liberti ... ccordingly

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/02/brie ... efing.html

Even earlier predictions:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... mp-unbound

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/ ... ans-229577

Here's one involving the military:

https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2019/1 ... us/161356/

Another regarding national security:

https://www.business-standard.com/artic ... 018_1.html

MAGA extremists have over run the GOP, Trump is the runaway front runner to be the GOP's choice for candidate for POTUS, and the House GOP just elected a MAGA extremist as Speaker, indeed one whose chief differentiating quality from the immediately prior leading candidate was that he 'earned' Trump's endorsement for having led the effort in the House to support denial of the election count on Jan 6, both before and after the violence that day. A Trump 'loyalist' and MAGA extremist who can be depended upon when push comes to shove to do it all again.

But pooh pooh it all you want; it reveals who you are.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:58 pm

I don't ????

Der Leader commands...
Obviously.

I'm good with how my Ivy alma mater, Dartmouth, is handling the current situation. Constructive dialogue led jointly by Middle Eastern Studies and Jewish Studies professors and Chairs, clear condemnation of the terrorist acts of Oct 7, etc. Two pro Palestinian protestors were just arrested, at the request of the President of the College, for threats of potential violence, breaching College rules.

I don't need Trinity, thank you. re Trump Unbound. I have plenty of company in my concerns. Some of these were even written before the election denials, refusal to concede power, and Jan 6:

MAGA extremists have over run the GOP, Trump is the runaway front runner to be the GOP's choice for candidate for POTUS, and the House GOP just elected a MAGA extremist as Speaker, indeed one whose chief differentiating quality from the immediately prior leading candidate was that he 'earned' Trump's endorsement for having led the effort in the House to support denial of the election count on Jan 6, both before and after the violence that day. A Trump 'loyalist' and MAGA extremist who can be depended upon when push comes to shove to do it all again.

So any (R) who does not buy into your paranoid conspiracy theory is a MAGA extremist.
It's getting lonesome in the RINO outhouse with you, Liz & Mitt.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Sadly you're a Trumper or a RINO. That's how it works these days. And yeah, you have a panel, but they have the right of refusal. Until they get someone they like.

You're breaking your oath. Enemies foreign, and domestic.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I don't ????

Der Leader commands...
Obviously.

I’m coming around to the idea that some would rather sell their morality and souls out than accept they’ve been cuckolded by mouthbreathing, racist, thoughtless morons. Guess I should’ve seen it in the makeup guys like Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz wear. Defenders of this behavior who continue to play unnatural moral relativism while getting a big old white guy from Mississippi’s 4” halfway up their backsides is all it is. Hanging in there with this crowd is the same as the real life version of Ned Beatty:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9gLN3QoN-q8
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:52 am Sadly you're a Trumper or a RINO. That's how it works these days. And yeah, you have a panel, but they have the right of refusal. Until they get someone they like.

You're breaking your oath. Enemies foreign, and domestic.
That’s because people toss around terms like nuance and related but are actually thoughtless reductive BS artists with egos.

https://www.psychologytools.com/resourc ... hinking%20(often%20also%20referred%20to%20as,act%20in%20equivalently%20extreme%20ways.

All-or-nothing thinking

All-or-nothing thinking (often also referred to as ‘black and white thinking’, ‘dichotomous thinking’, ‘absolutist thinking’, or ‘binary thinking’) is a common form of cognitive distortion or ‘unhelpful thinking style’. People who think in all-or-nothing terms may also act in equivalently extreme ways. They may veer, for example, between complete abstinence and ‘binges’, or between extreme effort and none. Unfortunately, all-or-nothing thinking rarely matches reality and can set individuals up to feel confused or disappointed.

Absolutes do not exist in this universe. If you try to force your experiences into absolute categories, you will be constantly depressed because your perceptions will not conform to reality. You will set yourself up for discrediting yourself endlessly because whatever you do will never measure up to your exaggerated expectations. The technical name for this type of perceptual error is "dichotomous thinking." You see everything as black or white—shades of gray do not exist. (David Burns: Feeling good: The new mood therapy)
Examples of dichotomous thinking include:

Using polarized terms such as: ‘perfect’ or ‘failure’, ‘always’ or ‘never’.
Liking and disliking things with extreme intensity. For example, “I’m lovely / I’m hateful”, “this is the Best / Worst”.
Doing things in extremes, such as either over-exercising or doing no exercises, or workaholism vs. doing nothing.
People who habitually engage in an all-or-nothing thinking style may have ‘blind spots’ for:

Gray areas: situations where there are multiple competing explanations, or multiple possible perspectives.
Ambiguity: ambiguity and uncertainty can be difficult to understand and tolerate.
Creative or flexible solutions to a difficulty.
There are evolutionary reasons why people might think in binary ways (Gilbert, 1998). In the face of an uncertain situation, forming simplified binary representations (e.g. it is ‘good’ or ‘bad’?) is thought to confer a speed-of-processing advantage which facilitates fight or flight responses (Bonfá-Araujo et al, 2021). Similarly, categorising in a binary fashion makes the world simpler to understand (at the cost of accuracy): complex problems become solvable and the world may feel more predictable.

Unfortunately, all-or-nothing thinking is associated with a wide range of clinical problems including perfectionism (Egan, Piek, Dyck, Rees, 2007), borderline personality disorder (Napllitano & McKay, 2007; Veen, Arntz, 2000), depression and depressive relapse (Teasdale et al, 2001), suicidal ideation and suicide attempts (Al-Mosaiwi & Johnstone, 2018; Neuringer, 1961), eating disorders including anorexia (Lethbridge et al, 2011; Palascha et al, 2015), obesity (Ohsiek & Williams, 2011). Other difficulties which stem from dichotomous thinking may include boom and bust patterns of activity (motivation may fluctuate between all-or-nothing), extremes of emotion, negative relationships with others (appraising others as entirely ‘good’ or ‘bad’ can mean that people get ‘written off’ easily), and burnout (Ledingham et al, 2019).
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:17 pm

I don't ????

Der Leader commands...
Obviously.

So any (R) who does not buy into your paranoid conspiracy theory is a MAGA extremist.
No, not an extremist, but yes, complicit with the MAGA cult. Enablers.

And actually, it's a lot less "lonely" than what one might think, made of ex GOP and stubborn GOP who reject MAGA extremism/cultism and its enablement by the stupid or the venal. That group continues to grow as the extremists further reveal themselves.

Unfortunately, however, the MAGA extremists are in full control of the Party apparatus and key positions of power. McConnell and a few other GOP Senators are struggling to hold on to some influence, but they're increasingly being labelled RINO's as well...soon to be "enemies of the state".
a fan

Post by a fan »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:26 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:17 pm

I don't ????

Der Leader commands...
Obviously.

No, not an extremist, but yes, complicit with the MAGA cult. Enablers.

And actually, it's a lot less "lonely" than what one might think, made of ex GOP and stubborn GOP who reject MAGA extremism/cultism and its enablement by the stupid or the venal. That group continues to grow as the extremists further reveal themselves.

Unfortunately, however, the MAGA extremists are in full control of the Party apparatus and key positions of power. McConnell and a few other GOP Senators are struggling to hold on to some influence, but they're increasingly being labelled RINO's as well...soon to be "enemies of the state".
Old Salt, you say you're not MAGA....yet you're posts read like a MAGA Greatest Hits. Deep State. Vote fraud. Hunter's getting a pass. Trump is unjustly indicted.

How about this: give us Five things MAGA believes that you don't.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:34 pm Old Salt, you say you're not MAGA....yet you're posts read like a MAGA Greatest Hits. Deep State. Vote fraud. Hunter's getting a pass. Trump is unjustly indicted.

1. Abortion ban before 15 wks.
2. 2016 election was not 'stolen'. Dem state officials changed the rules in the name of covid emergecy, not always in accordance with state laws or constitutions. Dems gamed the system & won under their rules. Not because of widespread voter fraud.
3. Total stoppage of aid to Ukraine. It should be limited to military aid only necessary for defense along current line of control, not regaining lost territory.
4. No gun control
5. imo -- need-based Food stamps = good thing. Other low income public assistance programs are necessary but need reform.
6. Immigration reform.
7. Billionaire tax. Close tax loopholes & shelters for Uber-wealthy.
8. SocSec/Medicare reform, need-based.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:53 pm
a fan wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:34 pm Old Salt, you say you're not MAGA....yet you're posts read like a MAGA Greatest Hits. Deep State. Vote fraud. Hunter's getting a pass. Trump is unjustly indicted.

2. 2016 election was not 'stolen'. Dem state officials changed the rules in the name of covid emergecy, not always in accordance with state laws or constitutions. Dems gamed the system & won under their rules. Not because of widespread voter fraud.
3. Total stoppage of aid to Ukraine. It should be limited to military aid only necessary for defense along current line of control, not regaining lost territory.
4. No gun control
5. imo -- need-based Food stamps = good thing. Other low income public assistance programs are necessary but need reform.
6. Immigration reform.
Those are 5 things MAGA believes that you don't??

1) 15 weeks is what you want, MAGA only wants earlier, or vice versa? Trump isn't demanding earlier than 15 weeks, pretty sure he's MAGA.

2) Does MAGA not believe 2016 was stolen and you do? or vice versa? I thought you didn't believe the Russians were helping Trump win? Just like MAGA, No "collusion" between the Trump Campaign and Russians...OR Perhaps you meant 2020 wasn't "stolen" and yet MAGA does? What you write as "Dem state officials changed the rules in the name of covid emergecy, not always in accordance with state laws or constitutions. Dems gamed the system..." is certainly consistent with lots of MAGA, though I'd agree that the extreme MAGA believe there was actual fraud. But MAGA conflates the changed rules to make it easier to vote without spreading infection or being afraid of being infected with...'election fraud' and "stolen".

3) MAGA doesn't necessarily demand total stoppage of aid, though the extreme MAGA will say it out loud...but yeah, MAGA doesn't want Ukraine to defeat Russia/Putin. They say that Ukraine isn't an American problem, if anything it's a European problem...sounds like you, right? And they say, consistent with Putin, that Ukraine is actually part of Russia, is rightfully 'Russian', and deserves to lose its land because "it couldn't defend itself". all sounds quite consistent with you.

4) No, total absence of gun control is not necessary to MAGA, though there's an element within the extreme allies of MAGA who feel there should be no impediment to guns, any guns...except of course for "criminals"...especially those "urban" criminals...

5) Does MAGA = no food stamps??? Haven't heard that as MAGA gospel.

6) MAGA believes in "immigration reform" but you don't? or vice versa? By immigration reform do you mean a "wall" or do you mean asylum for those currently undocumented? path to citizenship?...where do you disagree with MAGA?

7) You for or against "billionaire tax"?? the list was supposed to be of things MAGA wants...Trump hasn't told them to want it, so they don't want it...and you do?

8) again, is that supposed to be something MAGA believes in that you don't? or vice versa? Not heard that as anything MAGA tenet or dogma, so where you getting that one?
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:44 pm

4. No gun control
6. Immigration reform.

1) 15 weeks is what you want, MAGA only wants earlier, or vice versa? Trump isn't demanding earlier than 15 weeks, pretty sure he's MAGA.

2) Does MAGA not believe 2016 was stolen and you do? or vice versa? I thought you didn't believe the Russians were helping Trump win? Just like MAGA, No "collusion" between the Trump Campaign and Russians...OR Perhaps you meant 2020 wasn't "stolen" and yet MAGA does? What you write as "Dem state officials changed the rules in the name of covid emergecy, not always in accordance with state laws or constitutions. Dems gamed the system..." is certainly consistent with lots of MAGA, though I'd agree that the extreme MAGA believe there was actual fraud. But MAGA conflates the changed rules to make it easier to vote without spreading infection or being afraid of being infected with...'election fraud' and "stolen".

3) MAGA doesn't necessarily demand total stoppage of aid, though the extreme MAGA will say it out loud...but yeah, MAGA doesn't want Ukraine to defeat Russia/Putin. They say that Ukraine isn't an American problem, if anything it's a European problem...sounds like you, right? And they say, consistent with Putin, that Ukraine is actually part of Russia, is rightfully 'Russian', and deserves to lose its land because "it couldn't defend itself". all sounds quite consistent with you.

4) No, total absence of gun control is not necessary to MAGA, though there's an element within the extreme allies of MAGA who feel there should be no impediment to guns, any guns...except of course for "criminals"...especially those "urban" criminals...

6) MAGA believes in "immigration reform" but you don't? or vice versa? By immigration reform do you mean a "wall" or do you mean asylum for those currently undocumented? path to citizenship?...where do you disagree with MAGA?

7) You for or against "billionaire tax"?? the list was supposed to be of things MAGA wants...Trump hasn't told them to wants it, so they don't want it...and you do?

8) again, is that supposed to be something MAGA believes in that you don't? or vice versa? Not heard that as anything MAGA tenet or dogma, so where you getting that one?
I'm not as well versed (or obsessed) as you about what MAGA wants, or at least what you fantasize that they want.

I never denied that Russia wanted Trump to win in 2016 or that they tried to help him win.
I just don't believe that it made any difference or that he or his campaign colluded.
I keep hearing about the MAGA gun lobby"s unfettered 2nd Amendment liberties.
I'm for a billionaires tax. afan keeps complaining about the Trump tax cuts for the rich.
You're just nuts when you say that MAGA wants Russia to defeat Ukraine. They want to limit US aid & see the EU aid more.
I'm for immigration reform that does not include deportation of all migrants currently here unlawfully.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:17 pm

4. No gun control
6. Immigration reform.

7) You for or against "billionaire tax"?? the list was supposed to be of things MAGA wants...Trump hasn't told them to wants it, so they don't want it...and you do?

I'm not as well versed (or obsessed) as you about what MAGA wants, or at least what you fantasize that they want.

I never denied that Russia wanted Trump to win in 2016 or that they tried to help him win.
I just don't believe that it made any difference or that he or his campaign colluded.
I'm for a billionaires tax. afan keeps complaining about the Trump tax cuts for the rich.
You're just nuts when you say that MAGA wants Russia to defeat Ukraine. They want to limit US aid & see the EU aid more.
I'm for immigration reform that does not include deportation of all migrants currently here unlawfully.
Mmm, you certainly threw as much poop as you could at concerns about Russian intervention in 2016, ultimately landing as you describe: No difference, no collusion. “HOAX”. That’s well within MAGA apologia.

Yes, there’s several extreme slices of MAGA world that find common cause with one another. That includes extremes in guns, abortion, immigration, race, etc. MAGA politicians either pander to these extremes overtly or with a wink and a nod, tacit acceptance. Within MAGA there are ranges of views and prescriptions, but all tilt heavily to using minority manipulation of government to enact their views regardless of majority preferences. All find a common banner in hyper “nationalism”, and this is all quite come comfortable as white Christian nationalism with claims that this what God and The Founders intended. But these specific extremist slices aren’t the defining characteristics of MAGA, rather it’s the election denialism and the abandonment of the rule of law when it is to be applied to them or those they anoint in power. Power is the objective whatever the slice.

Interesting re billionaires tax. I agree, though devils in the details as to what that means. But generally we don’t tax remotely enough at the extreme high end of the wealth bracket. Both individually and corporately. Too much aggregation of wealth and power in too few people and companies. But I don’t think opposition to billionaires tax is as much MAGA phenomenon as it is a GOP pact with those funders. Arguably that now means a MAGA pact. Certainly that’s what this ridiculous performance in the House to defund the IRS is about.

On your last point, you are defending MAGA views, aligning your self as in agreement with what you say they want. I said the extremists would be happy with a Russian victory over Ukraine, a victor Orban or better yet Belorussian outcome if not outright absorption of all or part of Ukraine. Pretty close to what you have argued is acceptable and I think your views are less pro Russian than MAGA extremists on this. But right in line with MAGA generally.

We were looking for what you actually disagree with MAGA about, and where, if anywhere, you draw the line and reject their assumption or resumption of power.

To my mind, there are MAGA extremists with various points of entry and specific objectives, some others just attracted to the cult of personality and the sense of empowerment from being part of something they think is important ( some of this being QAnon crazy level), and others in the MAGA tent are enablers, willing to go along, to accept whatever gross immorality or illegality, as long as in opposition to perceived political foes. For power, wealth. And obviously lots of fuzzy overlap.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:39 am

4. No gun control
6. Immigration reform.

Mmm, you certainly threw as much poop as you could at concerns about Russian intervention in 2016, ultimately landing as you describe: No difference, no collusion. “HOAX”. That’s well within MAGA apologia.

Yes, there’s several extreme slices of MAGA world that find common cause with one another. That includes extremes in guns, abortion, immigration, race, etc. MAGA politicians either pander to these extremes overtly or with a wink and a nod, tacit acceptance. Within MAGA there are ranges of views and prescriptions, but all tilt heavily to using minority manipulation of government to enact their views regardless of majority preferences. All find a common banner in hyper “nationalism”, and this is all quite come comfortable as white Christian nationalism with claims that this what God and The Founders intended. But these specific extremist slices aren’t the defining characteristics of MAGA, rather it’s the election denialism and the abandonment of the rule of law when it is to be applied to them or those they anoint in power. Power is the objective whatever the slice.

Interesting re billionaires tax. I agree, though devils in the details as to what that means. But generally we don’t tax remotely enough at the extreme high end of the wealth bracket. Both individually and corporately. Too much aggregation of wealth and power in too few people and companies. But I don’t think opposition to billionaires tax is as much MAGA phenomenon as it is a GOP pact with those funders. Arguably that now means a MAGA pact. Certainly that’s what this ridiculous performance in the House to defund the IRS is about.

On your last point, you are defending MAGA views, aligning your self as in agreement with what you say they want. I said the extremists would be happy with a Russian victory over Ukraine, a victor Orban or better yet Belorussian outcome if not outright absorption of all or part of Ukraine. Pretty close to what you have argued is acceptable and I think your views are less pro Russian than MAGA extremists on this. But right in line with MAGA generally.

We were looking for what you actually disagree with MAGA about, and where, if anywhere, you draw the line and reject their assumption or resumption of power.

To my mind, there are MAGA extremists with various points of entry and specific objectives, some others just attracted to the cult of personality and the sense of empowerment from being part of something they think is important ( some of this being QAnon crazy level), and others in the MAGA tent are enablers, willing to go along, to accept whatever gross immorality or illegality, as long as in opposition to perceived political foes. For power, wealth. And obviously lots of fuzzy overlap.
You never address how your version of the Republican party spent decades kowtowing to the Democrats and never having the intestinal fortitude to stand up for any core values you might possess. As effed up as this new version of an effed up Republican party is they will take the Democrats to task on a regular basis. Your version of the effed up Republican party should have considered standing for something and not been terrified about conflicts with the Democrats. When Chuck Schumer mocks Republicans old sod he is not just mocking MAGA he is mocking all Republicans that have spent decades being doormats. That includes you and your wishy washy lets all just get along with the Democrats fellow old school Republicans. You all remind me of Dubbya in this regard, no matter how much incoming Dubbya took from the Democrats he never said boo to them. The downside to your ideal version of what the Republicans should look like is that you all come across like a bunch of whimps just standing in line waiting to be steamrolled. Your version of the party does have an upside, y'all can compose magnificent concession speeches for when you lose elections. :D. There is nothing wrong for your version of the party to make a principled stand once every 20 years or so. It only hurts for a little while. ;)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:58 am

4. No gun control
6. Immigration reform.

You never address how your version of the Republican party spent decades kowtowing to the Democrats and never having the intestinal fortitude to stand up for any core values you might possess. As effed up as this new version of an effed up Republican party is they will take the Democrats to task on a regular basis. Your version of the effed up Republican party should have considered standing for something and not been terrified about conflicts with the Democrats. When Chuck Schumer mocks Republicans old sod he is not just mocking MAGA he is mocking all Republicans that have spent decades being doormats. That includes you and your wishy washy lets all just get along with the Democrats fellow old school Republicans. You all remind me of Dubbya in this regard, no matter how much incoming Dubbya took from the Democrats he never said boo to them. The downside to your ideal version of what the Republicans should look like is that you all come across like a bunch of whimps just standing in line waiting to be steamrolled. Your version of the party does have an upside, y'all can compose magnificent concession speeches for when you lose elections. :D. There is nothing wrong for your version of the party to make a principled stand once every 20 years or so. It only hurts for a little while. ;)
Your rant reads like a description of the current GOP.
They have no ideas, they have shown no interest in governing, they are spending grrat amounts of money and energy to undermine democracy. . They have NO party platform, offer no solutions, their members spend more time looking for exposure than developing policy, they have already done enormous danger to our economic and politicsl sytems and line up to kiss DJT’s fat butt. No guts or moral cord to anything they do
a fan

Post by a fan »

4. No gun control
6. Immigration reform.

You should be well versed. Trump's about to be our President. Again.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OCanada wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:13 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:58 am

4. No gun control
6. Immigration reform.

Your rant reads like a description of the current GOP.
They have no ideas, they have shown no interest in governing, they are spending grrat amounts of money and energy to undermine democracy. . They have NO party platform, offer no solutions, their members spend more time looking for exposure than developing policy, they have already done enormous danger to our economic and politicsl sytems and line up to kiss DJT’s fat butt. No guts or moral cord to anything they do
But my rant is better than your rant silly boy. :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.

Return to “POLITICS”