4. Maryland
5. Cornell
6. Rutgers
7. Penn
8. Princeton
9. Yale
10. Duke
11. Ohio State
Georgetown gained a lot and Maryland lost a lot. But for my money, until MD loses I can't have them this low and until G'Town does anything at all in the tournament or even gets a few top 10 regular season wins in a season I can't have them this high.
I would probably rank the teams in your top 3 a little lower, and perhaps, not in the same order. Maryland, until defeated, should start at #1 over the field regardless of their graduation losses. I do agree with you on Georgetown even with the portal additions. Didn't they sustain some significant graduation losses including the top goalie and an AA pole in Gibson Smith? Not sure who else.......Most of these polls appear based primarily on last season and aren't evaluating the impact of graduation losses and only somewhat on additions. Delaware is a notable omission who I believe returns much of their team intact.
Hinks will buffer the loss of McElroy. Not sure if they have an answer for Smith yet. Forde IX makes up for Watson and then some IMO. Mini us supplements some
Other offensive losses.
Hincks and Scharfenberger will battle it out for starting goalie. I don't think either of them is as good as McElroy (he was the best in the country), but it's not much of a drop off. Scharfenberger played well in the three games McElroy missed and arguably has a better outlet pass.

Tominovich will most likely start in place of Smith. He filled Smith's shoes well as a freshman in 2021 when Smith was injured. Again, very little drop off there. The defensive line of Tominovich, Donaldson, and Bowen will be experienced and formidable.

Dordevic, Minicus, Kelly, and Solomon will more than make up for the losses of Watson, Morin, and Trippi.

Biggest question mark will be how they adjust to a new offensive coordinator.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Preseason Top 10

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I would’ve expected Hinks to be the leading contender to start, while having to earn it but also sort of Given the benefit of the doubt going into the competition.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:42 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:18 pm
blue angels wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:14 am
pcowlax wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:47 am
Bluecollar wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:08 pm 1. Georgetown
2. Notre Dame
3. UVA
4. Maryland
5. Cornell
6. Rutgers
7. Penn
8. Princeton
9. Yale
10. Duke
11. Ohio State
Georgetown gained a lot and Maryland lost a lot. But for my money, until MD loses I can't have them this low and until G'Town does anything at all in the tournament or even gets a few top 10 regular season wins in a season I can't have them this high.
I would probably rank the teams in your top 3 a little lower, and perhaps, not in the same order. Maryland, until defeated, should start at #1 over the field regardless of their graduation losses. I do agree with you on Georgetown even with the portal additions. Didn't they sustain some significant graduation losses including the top goalie and an AA pole in Gibson Smith? Not sure who else.......Most of these polls appear based primarily on last season and aren't evaluating the impact of graduation losses and only somewhat on additions. Delaware is a notable omission who I believe returns much of their team intact.
Hinks will buffer the loss of McElroy. Not sure if they have an answer for Smith yet. Forde IX makes up for Watson and then some IMO. Mini us supplements some
Other offensive losses.
I think that on offense the grad transfers plus some talented incoming middies will cover the departing players. On defense Hincks/Scharfenberg is a solid goalie duo, and Tominovich on close defense is very good and played well as a freshman when Smith was injured. The loss of Geddes and Mazzone in the D midfield is a real issue. GU needs a second LSM and another SSDM, and the latter assumes that Hess will play D again. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

All of the above being said, the overarching issue is gaining the mental and physical toughness to break through to the highest level. GU upgraded the schedule this past year but usual playoff teams in Denver, Loyola, ND, and Hopkins were down last year, so these wins in retrospect not as meaningful as in the past. Second, the bottom 3 in the BE have been subpar the past few years. So I think it is premature at best to rank GU at the very top until/unless it has this breakthrough.
Agree that the biggest question marks (other than coaching) will be at defensive midfield -- although Leary, Godine, Hess, and Halpert are solid. Getting depth there will be crucial.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:52 pm I would’ve expected Hinks to be the leading contender to start, while having to earn it but also sort of Given the benefit of the doubt going into the competition.
Possibly. I just don't think it is a given based on how well Scharfenberger played while McElroy was out. If I was coach that spot would be up for grabs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:34 pm USA lacrosse magazine has started rolling out their count down

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... sion-i-men

T25 Cuse
T25 Hopkins
24 Utah
23 Loyal
22 Army
21 Villanova
People are challenging Cuse improving and the D has issues but I think will Mark could be as impactful as any single
Transfer on a team this year. He’s the forgotten one when folks talk about Simmons, Kirst, FR class incoming etc.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:11 pm
AreaLax wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:34 pm USA lacrosse magazine has started rolling out their count down

T25 Cuse
T25 Hopkins
24 Utah
23 Loyal
22 Army
21 Villanova
People are challenging Cuse improving and the D has issues but I think will Mark could be as impactful as any single
Transfer on a team this year. He’s the forgotten one when folks talk about Simmons, Kirst, FR class incoming etc.
Cuse will be much better than the 25th team in the Nation. Would assume same for Hopkins even though their infusion of new talent is less heralded. If Hop is that bad, Milliman's seat will be hotter than hot.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

With the addition of Will Mark and the 2 transfer D mids the defense will improve. Cuse DMs struggled last yr after Aviles. Then getting Hiltz back along with Simmons plus Kirst then Spallina the offense should improve to. Finn Thomson looks like he can contribute as a freshman and who knows who else. Cuse goalie and DMs killed them last yr. 2nd line wasn't athletic enough to cover defensively. I know Murphy is as solid as they come defensively and the D 3 kid looks fast and athletic. I think Cuse will surprise this yr and be very good.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Biggest revelation might’ve been birstwhistle back end of season
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

blue angels wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:27 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:11 pm

T25 Cuse
T25 Hopkins
24 Utah
23 Loyal
22 Army
21 Villanova
Cuse will be much better than the 25th team in the Nation. Would assume same for Hopkins even though their infusion of new talent is less heralded. If Hop is that bad, Milliman's seat will be hotter than hot.
Syracuse and Hopkins will outperform their rankings.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

DoubleD wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:53 pm With the addition of Will Mark and the 2 transfer D mids the defense will improve. Cuse DMs struggled last yr after Aviles. Then getting Hiltz back along with Simmons plus Kirst then Spallina the offense should improve to. Finn Thomson looks like he can contribute as a freshman and who knows who else. Cuse goalie and DMs killed them last yr. 2nd line wasn't athletic enough to cover defensively. I know Murphy is as solid as they come defensively and the D 3 kid looks fast and athletic. I think Cuse will surprise this yr and be very good.
Hiltz may be playing U21 this Summer. I know he was on the roster but not sure if he is on the final. Seems soon.
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

DoubleD wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:53 pm With the addition of Will Mark and the 2 transfer D mids the defense will improve. Cuse DMs struggled last yr after Aviles. Then getting Hiltz back along with Simmons plus Kirst then Spallina the offense should improve to. Finn Thomson looks like he can contribute as a freshman and who knows who else. Cuse goalie and DMs killed them last yr. 2nd line wasn't athletic enough to cover defensively. I know Murphy is as solid as they come defensively and the D 3 kid looks fast and athletic. I think Cuse will surprise this yr and be very good.
I would add Michael Leo into the mix.

My thought is Hopkins and Cuse will outperform rankings but they will both be young esp Cuse and will likely struggle at times
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Yeah Michael Leo could contribute as a freshman too. I forgot about Birtwistle he was impressive the last few games. They have some talent and it's yr 2 with the coaching staff.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:05 pm
Hiltz may be playing U21 this Summer. I know he was on the roster but not sure if he is on the final. Seems soon.
Hiltz is on the roster,
according to a Syracuse news blurb,

what I couldn’t find was the entire Team Canada U21
roster.
Typical Lax Dad

10stone5 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:21 pm
Hiltz is on the roster,

roster.
https://twitter.com/2022worldu21lax/sta ... 15297?s=21
“I wish you would!”
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:33 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:21 pm
Hiltz is on the roster,

roster.
https://twitter.com/2022worldu21lax/sta ... 15297?s=21
👍👍
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Context for just how bad Cuse's defense was: Per LaxRef, Cuse had the 6th best face-off unit in the nation last year at 61%. Phaup took all but 19 of Cuse's face-offs. And he graduated.

Even Cuse's possession-based metrics (time of possession, possessions pg) had them in the top third of the country (20th/21st in the nation).

People can talk offense all they want (Cuse was 17th in the nation in adOff last year), if they're not getting massive advantages via the face-off, that defense better make light years improvements.

Hop at least had an identity (tough defense) despite their offense being middling. If Hop had better goaltending, they'd win more games. I'd put more money on Hop over-performing its ranking than Cuse.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:10 am Context for just how bad Cuse's defense was: Per LaxRef, Cuse had the 6th best face-off unit in the nation last year at 61%. Phaup took all but 19 of Cuse's face-offs. And he graduated.

Even Cuse's possession-based metrics (time of possession, possessions pg) had them in the top third of the country (20th/21st in the nation).

People can talk offense all they want (Cuse was 17th in the nation in adOff last year), if they're not getting massive advantages via the face-off, that defense better make light years improvements.

Hop at least had an identity (tough defense) despite their offense being middling. If Hop had better goaltending, they'd win more games. I'd put more money on Hop over-performing its ranking than Cuse.
That’s why I started w Will Mark. Syracuse’s goalie play was atrocious last year. Huge upgrade there.

Carraciolo won’t be the answer. Even if an improvement. He got lit up last year. Can try to excuse it with some theory they all gave up knowing Pressler was leaving hut that’s not true if you watched them play at all last season.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:10 am Context for just how bad Cuse's defense was: Per LaxRef, Cuse had the 6th best face-off unit in the nation last year at 61%. Phaup took all but 19 of Cuse's face-offs. And he graduated.

From your lips to god's ears.

I won't argue with Hop's ranking — when you go 7-9 and haven't made the playoffs in a few years, you don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. But I thought Stevens' point that the Jays didn't do anything well was a bit odd. Top 20 in adjusted defensive efficiency, as you mentioned, despite poor goalie play. These advanced stats are readily available and lax writers need to start making better use of them instead of relying on the basic team stats from the NCAA's website which often do not tell the whole story. Hop is bringing back the bulk of that defense while adding Mazzone and Caracciolo and (finally?) getting Fernandez back from injury. Sounds to me like an obvious candidate to "hang their hats on."

Faceoffs could be an issue for Cuse. They are putting a lot of their chips on a second-year transfer from Canisius who was narrowly above 50% against a weak schedule. To be fair, the same could be said for Hop and incoming goalie Caracciolo though he has a much longer track record of being at least above average which, if that translates to the Big Ten, would be exactly what the D needs to go from pretty good to very good.

I tend not to bet against Toomey but I'm also not sure I buy the argument for Loyola ahead of Hopkins at this point. Lindley, Olmstead, Savio, McNulty etc., that's a lot to replace and they didn't bring in the transfers to make up for it. And if their thread is to be believed it sounds like there's a lot of turmoil in and around that program.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Hopkins IL page has McManus, Jack Lyne, Mabbett, Lily, and Emmet Jennings listed as seniors. Which of those guys are coming back? Hard to keep track of everyone's status. Also did both Mabbett and Lily switch to ssdm this past season or just one of them?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Antonio114 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:44 am Hopkins IL page has McManus, Jack Lyne, Mabbett, Lily, and Emmet Jennings listed as seniors. Which of those guys are coming back? Hard to keep track of everyone's status. Also did both Mabbett and Lily switch to ssdm this past season or just one of them?
Don't think any of them are coming back.

Hop returns its top 2 defensemen and its top 2 SSDMs. I'm considering that "the bulk" of the defense. That's in addition to adding an AA pole via the transfer portal and a few other guys coming back from injury.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”