CNU 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Jumbo

Re: CNU 2023

Post by Jumbo »

Laxguy703 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:52 pm
Jumbo wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:29 pm
Asgot wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:40 pm
W&LLover wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:39 pm Chrisopher Newport Community College....terrible academics at a dry college. Who would want to go there? In Newport News too :lol:. Terrible people getting a terrible education, in a terrible part of Virginia. Only thing they got going for them going in to this season is their media guy...dude needs to get a raise having to deal with all the scumbag kids on the team begging to get their clips into the highlight reel.
I disagree, Newport News and the surrounding areas are really nice and the school itself is beautiful, better than being in the middle of nowhere in Va.
Newport News is one of the most dangerous cities in va.
Yeah but that’s more towards the Bordering Hampton area of Newport News(where no one from CNU goes near). All of the neighborhoods near CNU are pretty nice and there are some really really nice neighborhoods when you get closer to the water. You obviously haven’t been down to CNU if you think it’s a dangerous area lol.

In other news… just saw that the roster was posted: https://www.cnusports.com/sports/mens-l ... ?path=mlax

Looks like they bring back 6 AA’s from last year including 5th years Burke Widhelhm and Campbell Pozin. Really good senior class and pretty talented freshman class based off of the few names I know.
Not a personal attack. Newport News has a reputation for crime. I have been to Newport News plenty of times. Yes, the surrounding neighborhoods are nice (my sister in law lives in Riverside, the neighborhood attached to the campus). When we were visiting campus she was telling my son that you have to be careful where you go off campus.
It’s all in what you like. I have owned property in FarmVille and I think the town is an amazing small town. But it is a small town. CNU is a beautiful campus,but not for everyone. I prefer traditional old school of HSC.
And with all that said, my son picked a different college with an unsafe town. What can you do.

I agree your freshman class is very good. I know a few of them and expect them to do well.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

I just looked at the CNU roster for 23. They are missing a few freshman. Only showing 7?
lando622

Post by lando622 »

Jumbo wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:43 pm I just looked at the CNU roster for 23. They are missing a few freshman. Only showing 7?
You might have to click on the “Go” button next to the 2023 roster listing to refresh the view.

There are 7 sophomores and 17 freshmen.
bmorelaxer

Post by bmorelaxer »

Laxguy703 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:09 pm
Jumbo wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:48 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:17 pm
W&LLover wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:39 pm Chrisopher Newport Community College....terrible academics at a dry college. Who would want to go there? In Newport News too :lol:. Terrible people getting a terrible education, in a terrible part of Virginia. Only thing they got going for them going in to this season is their media guy...dude needs to get a raise having to deal with all the scumbag kids on the team begging to get their clips into the highlight reel.
Love the troll grab here, W&LLover. Looking at your previous posts I think it’s pretty easy to tell you went to HSC and if that is actually the case then I wouldn’t be talking academics. I’d say kudos to you guys for having a wet campus, but your all dude circle j*rk parties kind of diminish that.

The ODAC is down bad and their fans are resorting to chirping CNU even though they know CNU has ran train on their top 5 the past 2 years(11-1 against Lyn, W&L, HSC, RC, RMC). I’d bet my life savings that this trend continues.
I don’t have a dog in this fight, but academically, HSC is head and shoulders above CNU. Lax …. Last 10 years they are even. CNU has a stronger team currently.
If you think HSC is a bunch of guys only , you are mistaken, Thursday-Sunday, HSC is packed with co-Ed’s from several schools.
What makes them even in lacrosse over the past 10 years? CNU is 8-2 against them, have made the tournament 3 times, been to a final four and two elite 8’s. Sydney won the ODAC once and got slaughtered in the tourney.(To be fair it was to an unreal Salisbury team, but still)

Oh and Longwood girls aren’t something to brag about :lol:
Yeah I don't think CNU girls are anything to write home about either. Also Newport News is such a crappy town that the head coach lives ocean front down in VB.
Tactful Lax

Post by Tactful Lax »

And Farmville is full of rednecks. One good unfair and untrue stereotype deserves another.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Didn’t get to make it down this past weekend to the blue-white inter-squad scrimmage, but heard the boys looked really good and really fast.

Some notes I got from on one of the dads on the team:
- Pretty entertaining Blue-white game ending in a 12-11 win for Coach Meyers team.
- Goalie play was one of the biggest strengths.
- Ryan Young and Burke Widhelhm looked like two clear cut All-Americans.
- Auslander and Cook might be the best midfield Duo in the country. They looked a step ahead of everyone and we’re at times unstoppable.
- Losing the D-guys they lost to graduation won’t hurt as much as the O guys they lost. The team didn’t have many stretch shooters and that’s due to losing Rice, Altobello, and Stockhausen.
- They played very very fast. Pushed transition as much as possible and had at least 5 or 6 transition goals in the scrimmage.
- Faceoffs will remain a strength. Possibly even a bigger strength than last year because of added depth.
- The attack looked decent. No clear Alpha like Rice but they do have a sophomore who has AA potential.
- Not going to be as dominant as last year, but still a very good team that should hover in the top 5 for the majority of the year.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

It is interesting that they did not Scrimmage another school. Does CNU normally just scrimmage themselves in the fall? I guess it might be a long bus ride to get a scrimmage.

I think that CNU has many pieces coming back that will put them in a place to be very competitive Nationally. It appears as if most of the top schools have holes to fill. Auslander and Cook may very well be the best set of middies but who runs with them?

FOGO and Goalie are certainly going to be strengths.
It will be interesting to see if they bring in anyone mid-year
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I’d be surprised if they aren’t a top 10 team all year long. But it’s hard to look at the roster on paper and say they will be better than last year. However it seems that can probably be said for most of the top teams. Union, York, Tufts, Salisbury, all graduate as much of more than CNU does. RIT has a very favorable outlook towards a 3-peat.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

From what I have heard RIT has plenty of holes to fill and their ability to repeat is far from certain. Dickinson returns a lot of talent and could be poised for a deep run and does CNU And Salisbury
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Dickinson was a really good team last year and they return more than anybody. But a closer dive into their schedule shows that they really only had 1-2 games vs a top 10 caliber team. That was when they played a fully healthy and surging Gettysburg in the Centennial and NCAA tournament. They lost 1 of those by 10 goals. They didn’t face a single team close to as good as York, CNU, Salisbury, RIT, Union etc. in the regular season. I’m not a believer that they are a real title contender yet. I would put my money on CNU over Dickinson if they played tomorrow
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I do believe you will get that opportunity at Mustang Classic this year.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Looks like CNU just got a mid year transfer: https://www.cnusports.com/sports/mens-l ... lean/18340

Jude Maclean, a 6’4 230 pound midfielder out of Rhode Island.

Here is the only film I could find on him: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MLu1hM_l1 ... xhY3Jvc3Nl

The tape is from almost 2 years ago, but I could definitely see this guy fitting into CNU’s box style offense.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Laxguy703 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:09 pm Looks like CNU just got a mid year transfer: https://www.cnusports.com/sports/mens-l ... lean/18340

Here is the only film I could find on him: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MLu1hM_l1 ... xhY3Jvc3Nl

The tape is from almost 2 years ago, but I could definitely see this guy fitting into CNU’s box style offense.
Kids a beast. 6’4” 230 lb middie. Impressive. Where did he transfer in from?
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:38 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:09 pm Looks like CNU just got a mid year transfer: https://www.cnusports.com/sports/mens-l ... lean/18340

Providence, wonder why he left
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:45 pm

Nice!
I see that he is from Providence RI. Where in the world did you find that he went to PC? I looked and looked. I understand not being on a roster, only being there for fall ball like the VMI kid at York, but kids and their clubs are usually pretty vocal on the net with their commitments (especially when they’re DI)

(Not doubting, honestly wondering where I missed it)
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:37 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:45 pm

Nice!
I see that he is from Providence RI. Where in the world did you find that he went to PC? I looked and looked. I understand not being on a roster, only being there for fall ball like the VMI kid at York, but kids and their clubs are usually pretty vocal on the net with their commitments (especially when they’re DI)

(Not doubting, honestly wondering where I missed it)
Was told he actually came from BU. Went there for the fall, was not feeling it and decided to come down south.

I think it'll be tough to crack that first midfield lineup with 2 teamer All-Americans, but he could definitely slip into the second line.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Didn’t get to make the scrimmage but here are some notes I got from one of the parents.

- As expected, CNU won 25-6 against Hampton. A lot of guys got some burn today.
- The team looked really good and they were flying around with a ton of energy.
- The ball movement on offense looked about the same as last year. Really crisp, in and out of the sticks quickly, and always looking for the best shot.
- Each attackman had about 3 or 4 points.
- Guarding their top 2 middies is going to be very tough.. Cook with 1G/5A. Auslander with 2G/2A. Both didn’t play in the second half.
- FO looked rough today, but Cabbanis played well. Only took about 7 faceoffs and won most of them.
- Defense is adjusting after losing 2 1st team All-Americans, but they played well. No Hines in the middle of the field is noticeable. The LSM’s played well but didn’t generate any CT’s or Transition Opp like they have in the past.
- Hanway looked good in cage and the defense will rely on him a bit more this year.
- They have a ton of depth. Once they put in the backups there wasn’t a huge drop off.
- Transfer #40 looked good. Big body Mid who scored a few goals
- Hampton improved a lot from last year. Their Freshman faceoff guy is very good and they brought in some transfers who played well. It’s great to see a program like that improve year after year.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxguy703 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:09 pm Didn’t get to make the scrimmage but here are some notes I got from one of the parents.

- As expected, CNU won 25-6 against Hampton. A lot of guys got some burn today.
- The team looked really good and they were flying around with a ton of energy.
- The ball movement on offense looked about the same as last year. Really crisp, in and out of the sticks quickly, and always looking for the best shot.
- Each attackman had about 3 or 4 points.
- Guarding their top 2 middies is going to be very tough.. Cook with 1G/5A. Auslander with 2G/2A. Both didn’t play in the second half.
- FO looked rough today, but Cabbanis played well. Only took about 7 faceoffs and won most of them.
- Defense is adjusting after losing 2 1st team All-Americans, but they played well. No Hines in the middle of the field is noticeable. The LSM’s played well but didn’t generate any CT’s or Transition Opp like they have in the past.
- Hanway looked good in cage and the defense will rely on him a bit more this year.
- They have a ton of depth. Once they put in the backups there wasn’t a huge drop off.
- Transfer #40 looked good. Big body Mid who scored a few goals
- Hampton improved a lot from last year. Their Freshman faceoff guy is very good and they brought in some transfers who played well. It’s great to see a program like that improve year after year.
I understand the rationale for the scrimmage but I am not sure that it benefitted CNU much. CNU is going to be a very dangerous team this spring and I look forward to this weeks scrimmage with Towson and York.
TopCheddar

Post by TopCheddar »

Don't know how this team will be without Max Wynne. As a PBLA professional, he was the heart and soul of Mikey's program.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Boys need to wake up on Defense. Offense is there, but letting Grove City bounce back when CNU takes 2-3 goal lead.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”