North Carolina 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: North Carolina 2023

Post by wgdsr »

5 goals on 42 shots is some next level bad. 40% even on cage.

it's a long season, they'll have a chance to figure it out.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Breschi has to be one of the most overrated coaches. He always gets the best talent (not because he is a great recruiter but because the campus is gorgeous and the faculties are top notch) and yet always finds a way to lose. There is no reason UNC should not be at the top of the ACC every year and mainstays on Memorial weekend.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:06 pm 5 goals on 42 shots is some next level bad. 40% even on cage.

it's a long season, they'll have a chance to figure it out.
Maybe they watched the Navy game…very similar shooting/goal stats.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:45 pm Breschi has to be one of the most overrated coaches. He always gets the best talent (not because he is a great recruiter but because the campus is gorgeous and the faculties are top notch) and yet always finds a way to lose. There is no reason UNC should not be at the top of the ACC every year and mainstays on Memorial weekend.
Another team that lost too much at once especially the wondrous Gray.

Pietralmalas would look good in Orange
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

It is an embarrassment of riches in Chapel Hill and they always find a way not to win. Gray was a special talent but another example of a talent that fell in Breschi’s lap and still couldn’t put it together.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

This game was so similar to the UNC vs HOP game except that in this case UNC was the gassed team in 2nd half.

So perhaps, at least for this game, it's not so much on Breschi and/or Heel's lousy offense... but fatigue. Those elite stick skills and menacing ride fade quickly when players are beat.

This game result sets up what could be a SU vs UNC classic in the Dome this weekend. With less than a week to go, how do Heels handle conditioning? Simply rest at this point?
lorin

Post by lorin »

tech37 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:18 am This game was so similar to the UNC vs HOP game except that in this case UNC was the gassed team in 2nd half.

So perhaps, at least for this game, it's not so much on Breschi and/or Heel's lousy offense... but fatigue. Those elite stick skills and menacing ride fade quickly when players are beat.

This game result sets up what could be a SU vs UNC classic in the Dome this weekend. With less than a week to go, how do Heels handle conditioning? Simply rest at this point?
Are you Serious? Fatigue come on a D1 Athlete at a top 10 lacrosse school is fatigued with five days rest please tell me that’s a joke.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

lorin wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:02 am
tech37 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:18 am This game was so similar to the UNC vs HOP game except that in this case UNC was the gassed team in 2nd half.

Are you Serious? Fatigue come on a D1 Athlete at a top 10 lacrosse school is fatigued with five days rest please tell me that’s a joke.
Did you watch the game?
lorin

Post by lorin »

tech37 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:05 am

Did you watch the game?
Yes and my take is if they had a month to rest, you would have same results. No one scares me on UNC
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Exlaxbro wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:45 pm Breschi has to be one of the most overrated coaches. He always gets the best talent (not because he is a great recruiter but because the campus is gorgeous and the faculties are top notch) and yet always finds a way to lose. There is no reason UNC should not be at the top of the ACC every year and mainstays on Memorial weekend.
Might I suggest you go check out the Michigan thread?

Ever heard of John Haus?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

stupefied wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:23 pm
Another team that lost too much at once especially the wondrous Gray.

Pietralmalas would look good in Orange
This was always going to be a result of the covid fifth years. Some teams inevitably were going to have a longer reload or rebuild and grabbing random fifth years from all over the map isn’t a guarantee to have a great team.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

tech37

Post by tech37 »

lorin wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:17 am

Did you watch the game?
Yes and my take is if they had a month to rest, you would have same results. No one scares me on UNC
OK, so that's better.

So you're blaming the loss on Breschi's coaching (or lack thereof) and the player's inability to run the offense that was clicking in first half?

BTW, Hudgins looked great out there...in 2nd half.
lorin

Post by lorin »

tech37 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:22 am

Did you watch the game?
OK, so that's better.

So you're blaming the loss on Breschi's coaching (or lack thereof) and the player's inability to run the offense that was clicking in first half?

Just not sure in the shot clock era 4 goals is clicking. and sorry to say I know all UNC recruits are 4/5 star recruits. but there is no elite player on your offense.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

lorin wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:46 am

Did you watch the game?
OK, so that's better.

Just not sure in the shot clock era 4 goals is clicking. and sorry to say I know all UNC recruits are 4/5 star recruits. but there is no elite player on your offense.
Ha!, first of all and you'll be pleased to know, I'm a long-time Cuse fan.

I think these two teams are pretty comparable/equal in many ways. The fact that, in the context of this game, UNC was controlling the game in first half against an arguably excellent defense, was "clicking."

You can disagree all you want but IMO they ran out of gas.
Finster

Post by Finster »

tech37 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:54 am

Did you watch the game?
OK, so that's better.

I think these two teams are pretty comparable/equal in many ways. The fact that, in the context of this game, UNC was controlling the game in first half against an arguably excellent defense, was "clicking."

From the bleacher seats here, an observation based on experience.

Fatigue is a real thing obviously, but I’ve generally only seen fatigue when my team starts to lose towards the end of a game. Every loss of a half step from one player leads to a half step loss from another. When the winning team starts ‘feeling it’, racking up goals and more goals, the game can look like a real shi!show from the perspective of the losing teams fans.

It’s not fatigue per lack of conditioning, it’s emotional fatigue that weighs you down. Biggest challenge in the world from a coach’s perspective.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Finster wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:06 am

Did you watch the game?
OK, so that's better.

Fatigue is a real thing obviously, but I’ve generally only seen fatigue when my team starts to lose towards the end of a game. Every loss of a half step from one player leads to a half step loss from another. When the winning team starts ‘feeling it’, racking up goals and more goals, the game can look like a real shi!show from the perspective of the losing teams fans.

It’s not fatigue per lack of conditioning, it’s [youtube]emotional fatigue that weighs you down. [/youtube]Biggest challenge in the world from a coach’s perspective.
This is true.
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Did you watch the game?
OK, so that's better.

It’s not fatigue per lack of conditioning, it’s emotional fatigue that weighs you down. Biggest challenge in the world from a coach’s perspective.
Yep
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Did you watch the game?
OK, so that's better.

You must’ve been watching the Hobart-Lehigh game…
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

UNC definitely hit the wall in the 2H the way Hopkins did against them but also they scored 4 goals in the first half. Their offense wasn’t good at any point of the game. It wasn’t really good against Hopkins either. They don’t really have anyone on that offense who scares you if you have a strong defense. Who’s the best dodger? Tillman? ACC poles have been handling him for 3 years now. 1 goal against Hop and OSU, 1-9 shooting. After that…McGovern? He was a pass first X guy in the NEC. 3 points against Hop/OSU…1-15 shooting. After that it’s just good shooters. That’s not an offense that causes any stress on a top level defense.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:07 am UNC definitely hit the wall in the 2H the way Hopkins did against them but also they scored 4 goals in the first half. Their offense wasn’t good at any point of the game. It wasn’t really good against Hopkins either. They don’t really have anyone on that offense who scares you if you have a strong defense. Who’s the best dodger? Tillman? ACC poles have been handling him for 3 years now. 1 goal against Hop and OSU, 1-9 shooting. After that…McGovern? He was a pass first X guy in the NEC. 3 points against Hop/OSU…1-15 shooting. After that it’s just good shooters. That’s not an offense that causes any stress on a top level defense.
I was really curious to see how Goldsmith would be w UNC. TBD but may not be as impactful as some expected. 7pts but not game changing.

Top 3 scorers today (3 games I realize) will all be gone next year as well I believe.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”