W&L 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: W&L 2023

Post by Matnum PI »

AbeFroeman wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:07 am No offense...
No offense taken. Until a team has 3 wins, preferably against good teams, your ranking suffers. So, at this point in the season, you need to take the individual team rankings with a grain of salt. i.e. You're not wrong.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Seems Ott and Brown are seeing reduced playing time. I’m only surprised because they had solid seasons last year. This is just an observation, considering how well everyone is playing I can see why guys like Joey Allen , Porkorny and Burns get the bulk of the playing time. Could Ott and Brown see more time at midfield. Also Matt Gallagher was 58% at the dot last year taking the majority of the face offs. Any injury issues

Big game coming up for Gennies against Denison. Need a solid performance from Boyd and Bou . Larsen the freshman and MacLean fogos for Denison has played well to date as has their proven goalie. Boyd and Bou need to match up or exceed their counterparts performance. This might be the game where Boyd needs to step up. Denison continues even under Koch to play a slowed deliberate game which plays best and most comfortable with a lead. Let’s see if the Gennies can take the initiative and make them uncomfortable.W&L attack has played well hoping that trend continues. Like Burns Allen Porkorny on attack like to see them stronger when riding as a unit. Let’s see 4 solid qtrs, win on gb’s, take care of the ball and take the best shot, fight to get to the middle of the field not low pct opportunities. Like to see Jack Elliot get on track 17 shots 2 goals, he’s due. Will Denison go after the ssdm’s and invert them.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Stevenson gave the Bullets a tough time, fairly even across the board in the stat column. I’m thinking the Gennies attack is stronger than Stevenson,and if W&L can do 50% or better at the dot and get some decent goal play the General D could keep the Bullets at 10 or less for a win. Looking for a big game from Hubbard taking away their best option. Seeds over Boyd for this game can’t wait for the freshman to get comfortable maybe get back to him in a lesser contest
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:26 am Stevenson gave the Bullets a tough time, fairly even across the board in the stat column. I’m thinking the Gennies attack is stronger than Stevenson,and if W&L can do 50% or better at the dot and get some decent goal play the General D could keep the Bullets at 10 or less for a win. Looking for a big game from Hubbard taking away their best option. Seeds over Boyd for this game can’t wait for the freshman to get comfortable maybe get back to him in a lesser contest
My observation in the Centennial conference thread:

Gettysburg - It took a while (down 5-1 midway thru the first qtr) to shake off the hangover from the Salisbury game. I thought they played pretty well for the final 3 quarters, the 10 man ride worked well for most of the time it was deployed, although the Bullets got burned twice, they were able to hold Stevenson to 15/21 on clears. Gettysburg turned the ball over (21 total) way to much especially in the 4th quarter (7) when they were poised to put the game away. They will definitely need to clean that up going forward. Their EMO also needs work.

Should be a great game!! What's the forecast in Lexington for Saturday? I am considering making the trip down from the Battlefield
Good Luck to the Generals
GO BULLETS!
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:20 am FWIW, FanLax Computer has both W&L's Men's and Women's Teams at #1...
That's interesting because after all these years, and getting screwed by NCAAs back in 74 when they should have been ranked higher, finally some love from a computer, no less. I watched the women's comeback against Gettysburg, that was pretty epic. Would be great to see NCs from both teams in May :D.

valaxfan
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I think this game will come down to matchups and adjustments. Can W&L ssdm handle Ryan Cernuto who has been a pleasant surprise at midfield for Gettyburg. who wins the face-off battle and which team can turn saves into transition. Should be a great game. I think that Gettysburg gets a close win on the road.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Asgot wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:13 am... Should be a great game. I think that Gettysburg gets a close win on the road.
We'll know better if it was a great game when the season comes to end and we have a better idea how good these two teams are but, for now, they're performing. Based on games played, one could argue these are the two best teams in D3 Men's Lacrosse.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Dehuntshigwa’es

If W&L beats the Bullets and York upsets the Gulls where will W&L rank, top 5? Looking for a great performance from the Generals attack unit in this contest. Let’s avoid the unnecessary turnovers like last week being offsides. Whoever gets the nod in the net needs to stand tall in this one. I think Gburg has the edge but W&L can win if they play 4 complete qtrs. 45plus degrees, sunny get the popcorn out
Dehuntshigwa’es

Where is Hillis Burns ? 9-6 Colin Beatty now 9-7. Beatty is a beast.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:36 pm Where is Hillis Burns ? 9-6 Colin Beatty now 9-7. Beatty is a beast.
Burns unfortunately has broken femur and his absence was very apparent today. But, Bullets are that good.

valaxfan
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

valaxfan wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:26 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:36 pm Where is Hillis Burns ? 9-6 Colin Beatty now 9-7. Beatty is a beast.
Burns unfortunately has broken femur and his absence was very apparent today. But, Bullets are that good.

valaxfan
That is incorrect. He doesn’t have a broken femur.
Dehuntshigwa’es

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:24 pm

valaxfan
Will he be back this year?
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:24 pm

valaxfan
Well, that’s what I was told at the game so I apologize if I was given the wrong information. What is his issue then?

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

Every time it seems W&L is stepping it up on offense a top 1-3 player goes down. I’m thinking of Garrett Mize several years ago second leading goal scorer as a freshman. Points in every game he played except 1… and goes down after 4 games I think next year. When does Burns get back
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Another beautiful night in Lexington. Thank god the wind took a break. Generals play solid defense, especially the SSDMs who scored more than usual, and pull away from the Bombers in the second half. Great to see HB back on the field, hope he continues to improve. Attack looks good, I know Coach O'Connell is proud of that!

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

valaxfan wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:40 pm Another beautiful night in Lexington. Thank god the wind took a break. Generals play solid defense, especially the SSDMs who scored more than usual, and pull away from the Bombers in the second half. Great to see HB back on the field, hope he continues to improve. Attack looks good, I know Coach O'Connell is proud of that!

valaxfan
Amen to that brother. This is the best attack group in years, including when the eldest Witherell played. D has always been their strong suit now they can also put points on the board. Keep this train rolling, fogo , goal play take it to the next level and this team has the makings of playing into May. How about those 2 freshmen Ssdm they are fun to watch and will only get better. Great in transition and able to make good decisions as to when to push the ball or not . Generals have several mids starting who are putting the ball on the goal but aren’t dropping,41 shots w 6 goals combined for 14%. Hopefully they start to drop or they need to take that extra step , improve their angle to the center of the field. Can’t see reducing others touches on O if they aren’t dropping. Hoping they catch fire soon. Watched the last Roanoke game they were fortunate to win it, I think they had 2 illegal sticks in the 4th. Passing on the Tufts Lynchburg contest they were run off the field not sure what that game means. They are back at it with St Lawrence now at the mustang Classic. Bugs look a little sluggish, might be a tired group 5-3 St Lawrence but Lburg are playing poorly, very flat . Not looking good. They’ll have played 4 games in 9 days
Dehuntshigwa’es

Emotional rollercoaster for CNU this week. Any potential for a type of trap game effect. No matter the level of overconfidence I struggle seeing how W&L can match up in this contest, other than if the W&L goalie stood on his head. Looking for a well played hard fought contest with a lot of poise. Doesn’t get easier after Wednesday with an angry Lynchburg to follow. Denison taking down Gettysburg I assume will help W&L’s case come tournament time …
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

No downside to playing the #1 team in D3, in Lexington no less. I hope the Gennies go out, give it their best shot, and have fun.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

W&L will have their hands full this Wednesday. I don’t necessarily think this will be a trap game for CNU given the fact that W&L is ranked #6 in the country. They will be ready to go and understand that the generals are a good opponent.

That being said, I am excited for this matchup. CNU is an extremely talented team this year and I think the only way to beat this team is to have your fogo and goalie to have career days. The reason the Captains have been so dominant the past 2 years is because they have dominated the X and have Stretch shooters who can make you pay. Take those two things away and you have a punchers chance against them.

I see this game being tight early before the Captains pull away late in the 3rd Quarter. They have been dominant in second half’s this year.

Final score prediction: CNU 14-10
Dehuntshigwa’es

CNU is a heavily laden senior offensive team ( only Jackson is a Soph) w a premier fogo running at 70%. The big 5 are;
Cook (M) 35-10
Auslander ( M) 15-24
Jackson (A) 29-4 ( 9 goals of their 22 man up goals are his)
Brendes (A) 20-13
Miller (A) 14-19
They all shoot it well over 30% so pick your poison. Combine that with a top 3 fogo nationally and you’ve got a problem defensively. You have to try to make the face off a scrum. Cabaniss is 135/183 on face offs, what’s worse he’s won 99 to himself. It will be a long day on D if the Generals can’t make a dent on those numbers. Otherwise you have to manufacture possessions in your clearing game, clearing being strong , winning possession running out shots, riding,fewer penalties, and No unforced turnovers. Pass with a purpose and with intention. Boyd will have to play his best game to date. CNU can stretch the D with a lot of outside shots and hit them. Thinking LSM Lackey follows Cook as soon as he’s off the bus or Beatty shuts him off.
I suspect the first 1/4 will tell us how the Generals match up at the dot. Do they double pole on face offs.I’d stick with the freshman ssdm’s I think they are up to the challenge and if not then place 2 poles on the wings. You can’t allow Cabaniss to dominate. Offensively I think the Generals will score points if they get the ball. Hoping for a great game and Gennie win

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”