Syracuse @ Florida 3/16/22 at 6:30

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxphan20

Re: Syracuse @ Florida 3/16/22 at 6:30

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:58 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:52 pm
laxer12 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:34 pm Cuse waited too long to start moving the ball and playing actual offense. They finally start moving the ball and get some good looks and the Florida keeper made some saves she had no business saving. Cuse saves : 4. Florida saves: 11.

Really disappointed in Cuse's offense right now.
:lol: they shouldn’t be waiting at all!! I thought Reznick had some great saves, and some of her other saves Cuse easier because they took some poor shots. Emma Tyrell’s first shot of the game stuck out to me as an example.
M.Tyrell tough game shooting and Carney was quiet.
They got into a hole early and by the time they got it together with draws and shooting it was too late . Is that coaching ? Or just a bad night ? Did they take Florida as a sure win?
It's hard to say. I don't think they took Florida as a sure win, as most games between the two programs have been close. I think maybe they got comfortable in their confidence to dig themselves out of their slow starts. Better to learn this lesson now than later in the season, and hopefully they've learned it.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Lax247 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:29 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:19 pm wlaxphan20...the difference in that game last night was Goalie play. Sarah Reznick is not one of my favorite Goalies( I have problems with her setup and technical things), but last night she made saves. Some of the shots were dumb, but she made the saves.
I am still flabbergasted at Kimber Hower, leaving the crease, to make a fancy move on a dodge only to throw a horrible pass that got picked off and resulted in an empty cage score. What the hell was that!

Syracuse HAS to solve their Goalie problem if they are intent on contending for the NC. Either Hower or Sweitzer is going to have to steady that position or start making Summer plans.

As I have tried to tell people for years, not anyone can play the hardest and most important position on the field...Goalie. It really takes a person of special mettle to step into the fire and get it done game after game. Despite the belief of people(some) that putting better defenders in front of a Goalie will make a Goalie better, that is simply not the answer. In the end, Goalies HAVE TO make saves!

However, what does a know it all like me know, right? :roll: ...this is the national symbol of juvenilism.
Doesn’t Cuse have 2 other goalie options besides those ^ two?

I'm going to guess that Hower and Sweitzer are the two best. They're the best options at the position.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

The defensive side of the ball for Cuse was a big question mark coming into the season and that included the goalie. We are at the halfway point of the regular season and that is still the case. Believe they played mostly Man defense last night. Just don't think they can survive doing that against the best teams. The offensive side of the ball was assumed to be an automatic juggernaut so it was so odd to see them struggle last night against Florida - granted Reznick played very well. To me the offense just seems less dynamic and I think it is a combination of things. It seem sluggish and the ball does not move as well without Ward. Having EH on the field also slows down the offense and the ball a bit. On top of that Cockerille is also not playing and she added some speed up top and in the weave. I continue to think that Cuse has to outscore opponents if they want to go deep into the tournament. That is hard to do on a consistent basis with an average defense, average goalie play and an average draw team. Teams will also learn how to further slow down the Cuse offense - FG Tyrrell, put big athletic body on EH, pay close attention to Emma Tyrrell etc. Coach Treanor has a lot of work ahead of her if she wants to get this team to the Final Four again.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:59 pm The defensive side of the ball for Cuse was a big question mark coming into the season and that included the goalie. We are at the halfway point of the regular season and that is still the case. Believe they played mostly Man defense last night. Just don't think they can survive doing that against the best teams. The offensive side of the ball was assumed to be an automatic juggernaut so it was so odd to see them struggle last night against Florida - granted Reznick played very well. To me the offense just seems less dynamic and I think it is a combination of things. It seem sluggish and the ball does not move as well without Ward. Having EH on the field also slows down the offense and the ball a bit. On top of that Cockerille is also not playing and she added some speed up top and in the weave. I continue to think that Cuse has to outscore opponents if they want to go deep into the tournament. That is hard to do on a consistent basis with an average defense, average goalie play and an average draw team. Teams will also learn how to further slow down the Cuse offense - FG Tyrrell, put big athletic body on EH, pay close attention to Emma Tyrrell etc. Coach Treanor has a lot of work ahead of her if she wants to get this team to the Final Four again.
Well said. I agree with all you have written above.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:15 pm
Lax101 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:59 pm The defensive side of the ball for Cuse was a big question mark coming into the season and that included the goalie. We are at the halfway point of the regular season and that is still the case. Believe they played mostly Man defense last night. Just don't think they can survive doing that against the best teams. The offensive side of the ball was assumed to be an automatic juggernaut so it was so odd to see them struggle last night against Florida - granted Reznick played very well. To me the offense just seems less dynamic and I think it is a combination of things. It seem sluggish and the ball does not move as well without Ward. Having EH on the field also slows down the offense and the ball a bit. On top of that Cockerille is also not playing and she added some speed up top and in the weave. I continue to think that Cuse has to outscore opponents if they want to go deep into the tournament. That is hard to do on a consistent basis with an average defense, average goalie play and an average draw team. Teams will also learn how to further slow down the Cuse offense - FG Tyrrell, put big athletic body on EH, pay close attention to Emma Tyrrell etc. Coach Treanor has a lot of work ahead of her if she wants to get this team to the Final Four again.
Ditto
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:16 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:15 pm
Ditto
Ditto-ditto.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cuse needs a GK like this. Sound fundamentals, shoot high, low, bounce it, it doesn't get by.
Unlike the Cuse gals this one always has his head in the game, is ready to go, and is focused.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:40 pm Cuse needs a GK like this. Sound fundamentals, shoot high, low, bounce it, it doesn't get by.
Unlike the Cuse gals this one always has his head in the game, is ready to go, and is focused.
Love this.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:40 pm Cuse needs a GK like this. Sound fundamentals, shoot high, low, bounce it, it doesn't get by.
Definitely a tewaaraton watchlist candidate!
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Always has their head in the game is an understatement for retrievers :lol:
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:00 pm
Always has their head in the game is an understatement for retrievers :lol:
My Black and her younger cousin Yellow will work until they drop....best exercise for them is getting the Duck training tool in and out of the pool....can go for a long time...much longer than I want to :lol:
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:37 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:19 pm wlaxphan20...the difference in that game last night was Goalie play. Sarah Reznick is not one of my favorite Goalies( I have problems with her setup and technical things), but last night she made saves. Some of the shots were dumb, but she made the saves.
I am still flabbergasted at Kimber Hower, leaving the crease, to make a fancy move on a dodge only to throw a horrible pass that got picked off and resulted in an empty cage score. What the hell was that!

Syracuse HAS to solve their Goalie problem if they are intent on contending for the NC. Either Hower or Sweitzer is going to have to steady that position or start making Summer plans.

As I have tried to tell people for years, not anyone can play the hardest and most important position on the field...Goalie. It really takes a person of special mettle to step into the fire and get it done game after game. Despite the belief of people(some) that putting better defenders in front of a Goalie will make a Goalie better, that is simply not the answer. In the end, Goalies HAVE TO make saves!

However, what does a know it all like me know, right? :roll: ...this is the national symbol of juvenilism.

I'm going to guess that Hower and Sweitzer are the two best. They're the best options at the position.
Cuse needs to recruit top goalie for the 2024 class since they didn't get one in the 23 class
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

CnyLax wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:25 am

Cuse needs to recruit top goalie for the 2024 class since they didn't get one in the 23 class
Or go back to the portal, based on who might be available. Tricky business, tho, clearly.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

At what point does Cuse try their other goalies?
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

user1020 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:09 am At what point does Cuse try their other goalies?
They should give Hanna V a shot!
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

Brownlax wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:01 am
user1020 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:09 am At what point does Cuse try their other goalies?
They should give Hanna V a shot!
Why not? The current goalies have a combine save % of 20?
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

CnyLax wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:25 am

Lol. They had the top goalie in the country in HVM. kid has sat because of asa. And sits because of Schweitzer. Insulting
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Top goalie in the country? Are we talking about coming out of high school? Is that 5 years ago? If so does that mean anything today. Have to believe these coaches are able to assess what goalies give them the best chance to win. They work with these kids for hours each day and we sit here and second guess them. Quite comical actually. If this player is deserving she will certainly get a shot. IMO the issue is as much the defense as it is the goalies. Duke looked like they were playing 7 on 5 for a good part of that game. Florida was running by defenders left and right and they don't have a great offensive team. Both the zone and Man defense are below average. Teams use to hate playing against the talented, quick and aggressive Cuse zone defense. No they are excited to do so. If they don't fix the defense it does not matter who is in the cage.
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

Lax101 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:10 pm Top goalie in the country? Are we talking about coming out of high school? Is that 5 years ago? If so does that mean anything today. Have to believe these coaches are able to assess what goalies give them the best chance to win. They work with these kids for hours each day and we sit here and second guess them. Quite comical actually. If this player is deserving she will certainly get a shot. IMO the issue is as much the defense as it is the goalies. Duke looked like they were playing 7 on 5 for a good part of that game. Florida was running by defenders left and right and they don't have a great offensive team. Both the zone and Man defense are below average. Teams use to hate playing against the talented, quick and aggressive Cuse zone defense. No they are excited to do so. If they don't fix the defense it does not matter who is in the cage.
You have to do all the above imo...Get top transfer in here then go grab top 2024 goalie since we didn't grab 2023 goalie. I agree the defense hasn't played like we are used to seeing but after they switched out of zone D against Duke you didn't see any more girls wide open in the middle of the 8 & we made a run.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”