Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by oldbartman »

Alumni game is on Saturday, Sept. 25 this year. Very early. Usually the varsity is still going through conditioning drills. Guess it's to work with homecoming weekend. It could be a very interesting game this year. Imagine and attack line of Aslanian, Holden & Brown. Alex Love, Zach Reed and Cam Stone to give a different look. Throw in Matt Pedecine facing off with Bryan Hancock and Stanny Gilbertson on the wing, Sam Mueller, PJ Delpha, Bennett Moore on D. Justin Scott, Ty Yanko, Koko Avedesian, Henry Mann and a few other middies. Add Sam Lucchesi Or Jackson Brown in goal and we have a game. Wonder if Our Canadian alumni will be able to cross the border and play? Daryl Veltman, Jamie Kirk, Chris Willman, Connor Eustace, Ethan O'Connor would be great additions. I'm sure I've left out way too many great players. Sorry about that. Looking forward to this!!!!
Last edited by oldbartman on Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

10/24/21. Bart participating in Headstrong fall ball event @ the Hop. Harvard, Richmond, High Point and Yale.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:20 pm
FMUBart wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:18 pm
oldbartman wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:40 pm
AreaLax wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:13 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:17 am Knox to OSU points to the real level of talent this
team had, for me, especially on the 2020 squad,
where unfortunately, the unfulfilled promise of that
season,

but the especially talented ones were given another
chance, a mostly positive in my mind, Eric Holden being
the most obvious case in point reaching the national
championship game.
Hobart: Drew Blanchard (FO)** ->Ohio State
Immediate upgrade for OSU
He won 2 out of every 3, but the NEC ain't the Big 10 ;)
Yes. But he split 50% with the 3rd team AA from SJU. was 15-25 v Bryant's guy who went 16-27 against UVA's 2md team AA Fogo. So, why don't you admit he's a really good FOGO? Still mad ?
Mad? Holden was a great player for us and couldn't crack the regular rotation at UMD. The NEC ain't the B1G. that's all I'm saying. Feel free to disagree, you're mistaking me for someone who gives a pooh.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Then why do you come back and comment? BTW, Holden ahad a serious injury that didn't heal till well innto the season. By that time, Tillman wasn't going to tinker with the starting line-up unless he had to.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Keep trollin' bro
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

back at ya kiddo
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Original! Fun to be living rent free in your head old dude.

In other news:

Received an email that Hobart will be adding 12 new D3 sports-- including bringing back baseball~ Wonder where they will play as the old baseball field behind Bristol is now a soccer field? Nonetheless, great news in this covid era! Plus, alpine skiing, swimming & diving teams resurrected and mens/womens bowling teams.
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

Any confirmation on returning Seniors? 58 on the roster for 2021. There were 16 “Seniors” this past season. I’ve heard rumors of around 5 that will be returning to play in 2022. If that holds true it seems the roster size would remain the same for 2022. Subtraction of the11 graduated + Knox’s transfer and an addition of 12 incoming freshmen. Seems like an awful big roster. Will be hard for many of the underclass men to get meaningful PT. Probably won’t be much of an issue this year but I wonder how it will affect future years…..
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxfan1234 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:12 pm Any confirmation on returning Seniors? 58 on the roster for 2021. There were 16 “Seniors” this past season. I’ve heard rumors of around 5 that will be returning to play in 2022. If that holds true it seems the roster size would remain the same for 2022. Subtraction of the11 graduated + Knox’s transfer and an addition of 12 incoming freshmen. Seems like an awful big roster. Will be hard for many of the underclass men to get meaningful PT. Probably won’t be much of an issue this year but I wonder how it will affect future years…..
Kerwick overrecruited and we had a fairly high transition rate back then, this could be similar.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Heard of at least 2 on the offense returning. They may not be till spring semester. Coach Raymond puts a up a preliminary roster early in the fall minus the freshman. PT will be difficult for all. Though most this years sophomores are untested and will essentially be a small step ahead of the FYs. Hope Herlihy is healthy. Replacing Blanchard, Mueller and Knox are key. Dickson could give Shea some competition at the dot. Filling in Mueller's spot ..??? Right now, I don't se a shooter on the team like Knox. Offense will change quiet a bit without a lefty with that range.
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

Roster #’s could something close to this (including FYs):
A = 9
M = 25
G = 4
LSM = 6
D = 12
FO = 2 (unsure if there is a FO in incoming class).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxfan1234 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:38 pm Roster #’s could something close to this (including FYs):
A = 9
M = 25
G = 4
LSM = 6
D = 12
FO = 2 (unsure if there is a FO in incoming class).
Think either Schaefer or Murray are FOs and there’s a 22 Seamus something from Jersey. It’s likely to be Shea I would presume though.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Love the competition at each position...the way it used to be back in the day. Can't create that sense of urgency/desire if guys aren't being pushed. Does Raymond have some of the younger guys play any Juco's or D3 squads? Not sure what the rules are, but having a B team helped Urick develop plenty of talent.
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

I completely agree that competition is a great thing. That being said I’m curious of other’s opinions on how much “development” really occurs from year 1 to 4/5? If you go through past rosters there is little to no evidence of players graduating much bigger than when they arrive on campus. Sure it’s possible that they get stronger and faster without adding weight/size but I think that’s unlikely. My guess is it’s not really a priority and or the strength and conditioning program isn’t all that great.

Is there evidence of players really improving their stick skills year over year? It appears to me that “starting” quality players see the field early, scout team players maybe see the field on Senior day. It appears that players that don’t see the field at least a little by sophomore year fall into the latter category. Are their many examples of players who ride the bench for 2-3 years and then breakout as Seniors? I hope so, I’d love to hear about some. Oh and I’m not trying to be critical, I think very highly of the current staff and team. Just curious what others think.
Bart

Post by Bart »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:53 pm Love the competition at each position...the way it used to be back in the day. Can't create that sense of urgency/desire if guys aren't being pushed. Does Raymond have some of the younger guys play any Juco's or D3 squads? Not sure what the rules are, but having a B team helped Urick develop plenty of talent.
Good question. I have not heard any programs who have B teams. I was sitting at the Boz enjoying a hotdog one day when I was told the reason the roster was so large was that they no longer carried a B team. I agree, it is a shame..Jack Mac helped develop some really good players.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxfan1234 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:30 pm I completely agree that competition is a great thing. That being said I’m curious of other’s opinions on how much “development” really occurs from year 1 to 4/5? If you go through past rosters there is little to no evidence of players graduating much bigger than when they arrive on campus. Sure it’s possible that they get stronger and faster without adding weight/size but I think that’s unlikely. My guess is it’s not really a priority and or the strength and conditioning program isn’t all that great.

Is there evidence of players really improving their stick skills year over year? It appears to me that “starting” quality players see the field early, scout team players maybe see the field on Senior day. It appears that players that don’t see the field at least a little by sophomore year fall into the latter category. Are their many examples of players who ride the bench for 2-3 years and then breakout as Seniors? I hope so, I’d love to hear about some. Oh and I’m not trying to be critical, I think very highly of the current staff and team. Just curious what others think.
Some but not enough and often hard to tell how much health impacted early play for example: Mark Darden and Koko Avdedesian were injured a lot first couple of years but improved over time. Tyler Cassel was a hit of a one trick pony hut he had a breakout jr year on one move, sweeping from right to left across and shooting. Cooper Stefaniak and Jake McHenry. Probably more true at close D and LSM than offense. Tanner John got jerked around but had a solid sr ur beyond injuries. Tried looking at the individual season stats a few years back but absolutely here this new website were using which I know is common for higher Ed but it sucks suck sucks in its functionality and user interface. Absolute trash so I can only go from memory.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:17 am
Laxgunea wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:58 pm Sticker price won't be the same as undergraduate. Also, all bets off with the extra eligibility floating around. Transfers would be great, but the best recent transfer was PJ Delpha from Onondaga Community College. We need more like him.
I don’t consider Juco as transfers but fair enough. Always thought MIke White should’ve done more for us he was also OCC. is our boy Chuck Wilbur still there?
Wilbur has been gone for a few years now, not sure what OCC has done since.

I know it's a non-sequitur, but FFG, any idea where the future baseball diamond will be located??
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:06 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:17 am
Laxgunea wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:58 pm Sticker price won't be the same as undergraduate. Also, all bets off with the extra eligibility floating around. Transfers would be great, but the best recent transfer was PJ Delpha from Onondaga Community College. We need more like him.
I don’t consider Juco as transfers but fair enough. Always thought MIke White should’ve done more for us he was also OCC. is our boy Chuck Wilbur still there?
Wilbur has been gone for a few years now, not sure what OCC has done since.

I know it's a non-sequitur, but FFG, any idea where the future baseball diamond will be located??
On the quad surrounded by kids holding 40s of Olde English and Genny Cream Ale tall boys while listening to Bela Fleck and Panic?

Seriously though good question maybe it’ll split time with cozzens somehow where the old bb field was? Buy the house formerly known as the Bog tucked in and use that land?

For now their using the old Geneva Cubs field.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Didn't think about the Geneva Cubs option, but makes more sense financially. Maybe have Wednesday night double dips and bring back Twin Oaks Mug Night!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:19 pm Didn't think about the Geneva Cubs option, but makes more sense financially. Maybe have Wednesday night double dips and bring back Twin Oaks Mug Night!
Bc of my family in WNY I spent a bit of time going to Cubs and Newark Orioles games as a kid and got to know this guy who became my favorite player I’ve seen (loved dick Allen from his biography but before my time). I ran into a brick wall literally trying to catch his foul ball when I was maybe 5-6 and he heard about it from the staff because I needed a bit of attention for f’ng myself up. He comes out after the game finds me brings me into clubhouse and hung out for like an hour with me. Messed his neck up ruining a MLB career but was an incredible athlete.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Wilkins_(baseball)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”