jrn19

Re: UVA versus UNC

Post by jrn19 »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:01 am Whatever happens,
I have a hard seeing Moore and Laviano NOT coming
back next year, either with UVA as a two consecutive
defending title holder or as the odds on favorite for
next year.
Moore is coming back. Laviano isn’t. Already been announced.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:03 am
next year.
OK.

Well then, I definitely am liking Keegan Khan much
more at UVA than, say, Notre Dame or Duke, not sure
how much Khan fits into the Tiffany style of play, but
then again, UVA was able to find a good role for Bertrand.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

blue angels wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:42 am
wgdsr wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:15 am well, that was close. i don't think we all fully appreciate what it was like to every thursday and weekend have the top teams in the country go at it in the acc.

several times every weekend. just a rare thing, to have one conference provide not only such a high level of play, but competitiveness. i know i'll try when the season's over to look back on it with awe. and maybe relive and rewatch some of that era.
we likely won't see it anywhere ever again.
While I support the right of players to transfer for a fresh start, the wholesale transfer portal teams like Duke, Notre Dame and UNC are bad for the game and am glad they all lost. I am aware that all the teams in the final 4 have utilized it to some extent, but it sure would concern me as a recruit that a mercenary player would be brought in as a Grad student to take my starting spot for a year. Phew on the game........I get trying to milk the clock, with a big lead and a good D but taking our foot off the gas could have cost us the game. Our clearing game was completely exposed. If I am Maryland, weakness number 1............
I really don’t like the wholesale transfers and am very concerned what this means for the future of the sport (I can very easily see a world where the vast majority of players who put up great numbers their first 1 or 2 years at smaller programs all transfer). That said, just to be fair, UNC really did not have many transfers, nothing like ND and, to a slightly lesser extent, Duke, who had something like 15 grad students.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:49 am I thought Sowers would have fit in better at Penn State
that he could have just moved right into that Grant
Ament slot, but, not nearly as much talent at Penn State
as Duke.
This is a great point.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:09 am OK.

Have heard from some reliable people that Khan wants to play behind the goal next year for a team he thinks has a chance to win it all. With Moore and Shellenberger returning, you've already got 2 players filling that role (up top and behind). Gray is back at UNC. Don't know if DeSimone is coming back for Hop, but moving Joey to the wing kind of flustered his game.

Duke will be in need of an X attackman. Maryland will be interesting, as Malever really is the heir apparent to Jared.

Maybe Khan ends up staying at Nova...although it looks like half of their team entered the portal.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

pcowlax wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:10 am
I really don’t like the wholesale transfers and am very concerned what this means for the future of the sport (I can very easily see a world where the vast majority of players who put up great numbers their first 1 or 2 years at smaller programs all transfer). That said, just to be fair, UNC really did not have many transfers, nothing like ND and, to a slightly lesser extent, Duke, who had something like 15 grad students.
Something to think about demographically in the coming years as the COVID bonus years work through the system. The 2025 graduating high school class from PA northward and through the Great Lakes region will be one of the smallest graduating high school cohorts in a good 50 years (population out-flow, Gen Exers not having as many kids). So the traditional recruiting grounds (SE PA, NJ, LI, Upstate) for a lot of schools will have fewer targets. Some schools just don't have the budgets to recruit into the emerging lacrosse hot spots that will see growing populations (south and west). I think it means you'll see more transfers to programs in the northeast to make up for quality/depth issues in some of the traditional recruiting hot spots. For other schools that can recruit out west or down south, I won't be surprised to see more selective acceptance of transfers. It's going to an interesting next 5-8 years.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:09 am
next year.
OK.

While, I have no inside info, it would be a surprise to me, at attack anyway........Virginia brings in 3 of the top attack recruits in the Nation in Griffin Schutz-Deerfield, Thomas Mencke-Highland Park Texas and Tucker Mullen-Taft. Schutz and Mencke have already been chosen as participants for the Under Armour All America game......1 or 2 of these have also played some midfield so coming out of the midfield is a possibility as well. Schutz is a huge physical mismatch with box skills whose game could translate similarly to Cormier and Bertrand. Recruits should beware of Notre Dame, Duke and similar programs, who bring in whole groups of 1 year rent a players........Hearing Notre Dame and OSU are already raiding other teams for transfers for next season.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

pcowlax wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:10 am
blue angels wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:42 am
wgdsr wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:15 am well, that was close. i don't think we all fully appreciate what it was like to every thursday and weekend have the top teams in the country go at it in the acc.

several times every weekend. just a rare thing, to have one conference provide not only such a high level of play, but competitiveness. i know i'll try when the season's over to look back on it with awe. and maybe relive and rewatch some of that era.
While I support the right of players to transfer for a fresh start, the wholesale transfer portal teams like Duke, Notre Dame and UNC are bad for the game and am glad they all lost. I am aware that all the teams in the final 4 have utilized it to some extent, but it sure would concern me as a recruit that a mercenary player would be brought in as a Grad student to take my starting spot for a year. Phew on the game........I get trying to milk the clock, with a big lead and a good D but taking our foot off the gas could have cost us the game. Our clearing game was completely exposed. If I am Maryland, weakness number 1............
I think you’re already seeing limitations with grad
transfers, where for many or even most one year
players, you’re really limited to only a very few teams.

One exception, I noted that guy from VMI, a grad transfer
to Saint Joe’s, that one is understandable as St. Joe’s has
been knocking on the door of an NCAA automatic bid for
several years, so maybe this guy helps get them over that
hump, Zack Cole is down to possibly just one more year.
I believe Zack Cole will be a high profile grad transfer
next year.

I just don’t see someone just handing the keys to their offense
over to Keegan Khan, he’s not quite there although he did
have to develop more as a feeder with Kirst’s departure.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

blue angels wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:36 am
next year.
OK.

While, I have no inside info, it would be a surprise to me, at attack anyway........Virginia brings in 3 of the top attack recruits in the Nation in Griffin Schutz-Deerfield, Thomas Mencke-Highland Park Texas and Tucker Mullen-Taft. Schutz and Mencke have already been chosen as participants for the Under Armour All America game......1 or 2 of these have also played some midfield so coming out of the midfield is a possibility as well. Schutz is a huge physical mismatch with box skills whose game could translate similarly to Cormier and Bertrand. Recruits should beware of Notre Dame, Duke and similar programs, who bring in whole groups of 1 year rent a players........Hearing Notre Dame and OSU are already raiding other teams for transfers for next season.
Laviano is a X factor. Very underrated , great hands and release. Find ND actions distasteful, late in season calls even to a few select grad players are poaching in my view. Get bringing in a top transfer or two after lax season ends but importing nearly half your starting lineup cant be good for the sport even if it benefits student athletes. Rooted agaisnt Duke, ND, Denver and even Maryland for going so heavy into portal this past offseason.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

next year.
OK.

at some point, my suspicion is uva steps back and says we're not going after high profile transfers.

between scanlan, gray, i'm guessing they would've taken the call from sowers... to look back and say we're doing just fine with our guys. if a piece can come in and would fit, fine. bertrand found a great role in the midfield.

as it is, even that might have contributed to one valuable piece sniffing the portal. with moore, shellenberger and cormier back, the latter 2 for as many as 3 years, they're set for a while and with depth behind them. and as it is, they're at a high water mark for roster (48?) with a couple 5th years back next year and low attrition. it wouldn't be crazy to see a couple more guys enter the portal going out, tho that would just put them more in line with traditional roster numbers.

there are spots in the midfield for guys to earn... aitken, quinn. injuries maybe. i do wonder what's up with bienkowski. and then on d kology's gone and conners. and a solid ssdm would get time.

have to believe at some point we'll see that given everything (team portal results, effect on other players) uva's going to mostly stand pat on giving away starting spots.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:50 am

This is parody, right?
meant to put in the b1g thread with the conference names switched.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:54 pm
next year.
OK.

at some point, my suspicion is uva steps back and says we're not going after high profile transfers.

between scanlan, gray, i'm guessing they would've taken the call from sowers... to look back and say we're doing just fine with our guys. if a piece can come in and would fit, fine. bertrand found a great role in the midfield.

as it is, even that might have contributed to one valuable piece sniffing the portal. with moore, shellenberger and cormier back, the latter 2 for as many as 3 years, they're set for a while and with depth behind them. and as it is, they're at a high water mark for roster (48?) with a couple 5th years back next year and low attrition. it wouldn't be crazy to see a couple more guys enter the portal going out, tho that would just put them more in line with traditional roster numbers.

there are spots in the midfield for guys to earn... aitken, quinn. injuries maybe. i do wonder what's up with bienkowski. and then on d kology's gone and conners. and a solid ssdm would get time.

have to believe at some point we'll see that given everything (team portal results, effect on other players) uva's going to mostly stand pat on giving away starting spots.
This would correspond with comments made by Lars last pre season. He was interested by the availability of Sowers and others, but stated publicly his concerns about meshing players from differing cultures to his own team's. The Duke and a few others experiment ultimately, did not gain them a National Championship which is maybe justice.......Bertrand is interesting because he came to Virginia as much for admission to the Commerce School to combine with his prior Mechanical Engineering degree...He may have come without lacrosse. At this juncture, it appears Lars made the correct decision to ride with his own roster, regardless of what occurs tomorrow.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

blue angels wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:57 pm
next year.
OK.

This would correspond with comments made by Lars last pre season. He was interested by the availability of Sowers and others, but stated publicly his concerns about meshing players from differing cultures to his own team's. The Duke and a few others experiment ultimately, did not gain them a National Championship which is maybe justice.......Bertrand is interesting because he came to Virginia as much for admission to the Commerce School to combine with his prior Mechanical Engineering degree...He may have come without lacrosse. At this juncture, it appears Lars made the correct decision to ride with his own roster, regardless of what occurs tomorrow.
Lars is a great coach, but he's also a hokey shuckster. He would and will continue to take any transfer that will help him win. He didn't get Sowers or Gray or other top transfers because they didn't choose UVA, not because he was concerned about meshing them with the culture.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:50 pm
next year.
OK.

Lars is a great coach, but he's also a hokey shuckster. He would and will continue to take any transfer that will help him win. He didn't get Sowers or Gray or other top transfers because they didn't choose UVA, not because he was concerned about meshing them with the culture.
i don't know that i disagree with this. but hoo knows? i can say that tillman has made similar comments. even while taking guys for years. these guys are paid to win.

i think when when you take in 4, 6, plus guys in a year (duke, nd, denver) you've set your team in on a course and set a precedent. they'll have to deal with the ramifications if they've miscalculated.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

next year.
OK.

Yeah, they were 1000% after Sowers. For a fact. He just went to Duke. And Gray visited there.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:57 pm
next year.
OK.

i don't know that i disagree with this. but hoo knows? i can say that tillman has made similar comments. even while taking guys for years. these guys are paid to win.

i think when when you take in 4, 6, plus guys in a year (duke, nd, denver) you've set your team in on a course and set a precedent. they'll have to deal with the ramifications if they've miscalculated.
I don’t think there’s any question that Duke/Denver/ND did something a lot different than UVA or MD did. But they also had a lot more holes to fill. Who knows if Lars or Tillman wouldn’t have done the same; don’t think we can say for sure either way
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

as far as the actual game went, sure seemed like the moment was too big for the UNC freshman who turned it over twice at crucial moments. Maybe at least after the first one they shoulda gone with more experience.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:44 pm as far as the actual game went, sure seemed like the moment was too big for the UNC freshman who turned it over twice at crucial moments. Maybe at least after the first one they shoulda gone with more experience.
Man, that's some major onus to place on a freshman. And he must be out there for good reason based on coaching decisions. I know he's been hurt but Tanner Cook sure didn't do much for your team the last two games, and he's a senior leader.
nyclaxfan

Post by nyclaxfan »

Agree with the previous posts about random UNC line-ups. Both #6 and #77 had huge turnovers. Also, UVA’s #39 completely shutdown UNC’s Solomon at attack and Kelly did not play much at attack. Does UNC promise recruits playing time?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”