keno in reno

Re: Georgetown-Syracuse

Post by keno in reno »

DU-fan wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:13 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:18 am
maddog9718 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:12 am
DU-fan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:49 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:40 pm
DMac wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:30 pm You Hop folks are so used to talking about firing your coach you have to bring it to a Cuse-Gtown game thread?
We have scheduled a vote next week to expel jhu06 from the caucus.

Anyway, this is probably the best Georgetown team I have ever seen. Athletic, excellent speed, great stick skills, and a terrific goalie. No reason why they couldn’t win it all.

DocBarrister :shock:
I agree.

Georgetown is the heavy favorite over Bryant or UVA. Virginia may not beat Bryant after taking 3 weeks offs.

I don’t think GU would be the favorite against UVA
Lol Cuse murdered UVA. Why wouldn’t GU be favored? As it looks now even Michigan might be better than Notre Dame.
Anyone that thinks UVA will be the favorite only watches the ACC Network.
- UVA lost to SU 11-13 and 10-20
- Beat ND by 1
- Beat HPU by 1
- Beat UNC by 2, and lost to UNC by 3

ND win does not look as good after watch Drexel game yesterday.
UVA's success is based on match ups. UVA has some big strengths on offense. But, their face off and defense is average. Rode covers up a lot of defensive mistakes.

Georgetown will take advantage of the UVA weaknesses and their defense and goalie play will keep the UVA transition and offense in check.
This is a great Georgetown team, but I'm not sure what all the UVA weaknesses are. The only thing I see is they can lose focus. I mean, they don't lose many individual matchups compared to any team including Georgetown. Face-off, goalie, defense, middies and attack...where is the weakness?

Gtown-UVA is just a great game, I don't see any clear-cut favorite.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Pensky Material wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:50 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:42 pm
I really really did not appreciate at all the pre season
chatter about them being a national title contender,

Sorry but this made me chuckle. Dude you really shouldn't let such stupid stuff bother you. Speaking as a fan I never thought it was Championship or bust this year. I thought getting to the Final Four was possible but as you mentioned there are a lot of good teams and Syracuse fell behind the other ACC teams when it came to impact transfers. Going to be an interesting offseason for the Orange for sure. Best of luck to Georgetown they have a very good team this season.
You are correct,

it is stupid stuff.
calourie

Post by calourie »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:33 pm

Sorry but this made me chuckle. Dude you really shouldn't let such stupid stuff bother you. Speaking as a fan I never thought it was Championship or bust this year. I thought getting to the Final Four was possible but as you mentioned there are a lot of good teams and Syracuse fell behind the other ACC teams when it came to impact transfers. Going to be an interesting offseason for the Orange for sure. Best of luck to Georgetown they have a very good team this season.
You are correct,

it is stupid stuff.
You're always going to find a handful of teams hyped as national title contenders. The problem for Cuse this year is it carried on much longer than their performance warrented. Lots of people jumping on the Hoya bandwagon as of last night, myself included, but until this victory over Syracuse they weren't near the top of the lists of anyone's favorites. Game with UVA next weekend will show if they truly belong.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

calourie wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:59 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:33 pm

You are correct,

it is stupid stuff.
You're always going to find a handful of teams hyped as national title contenders. The problem for Cuse this year is it carried on much longer than their performance warrented. Lots of people jumping on the Hoya bandwagon as of last night, myself included, but until this victory over Syracuse they weren't near the top of the lists of anyone's favorites. Game with UVA next weekend will show if they truly belong.
I agree about the bandwagon jumpers. For the same reason I wasn’t worried about the matchup with Syracuse, I won’t overhype this win. Syracuse was appropriately placed against the 5 seed as a 12 seed.

On the other hand, history and aura do mean something in the NCAA tournament and especially when it’s Georgetown against Syracuse. So the win is more meaningful than a win against another 12 seed without the history.

I disagree with the “truly belong”’ statement. I’m not even sure what that means. If they win, they will be in the final four. If they don’t, they won’t.”truly belong”‘smacks of some sort of blue blood purity test. Gtown will be in the conversation going forward regardless of outcome.

Again, at the same time, I love that they now get to play another overhyped blue blood in Virginia. For the record, I think it will be a close game.

While the thought of playing Bryant as the path to the final four (which looked possible with a few minutes left in the third quarter of the uva/Bryant game) was seductive, I’m glad Gtown will play Virginia in the quarters for the same reasons I was glad to see them play Cuse in the opening round.

I’m looking forward to a great game of lacrosse.
fergie25

Post by fergie25 »

DMac wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:05 am Where's that crackerjack prosecutor, fergie25?
Here's a nice case of libel and slander for ya, young lady.
Go get 'em, tiger.
Sorry, I'm off the clock.

Also those aren't criminal charges.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Their performance perhaps? "Criminally" out-classed, out-played, and un-prepared!
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:34 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:06 pm what are the chances these are deskos last weeks?
zippy. please stop posting crap like this. or keep going, it's humorous.
https://www.collegecrosse.com/2021/5/17 ... tournament

https://www.syracuse.com/orangelacrosse ... reset.html

:oops:

It was always pretty silly that a team with no players with any experience winning in the NCAA tournament should be on a championship-or-bust tour. That's a level of delusion and arrogance than even Hopkins fans (maybe 06 :lol: ) haven't reached in recent years.
Last edited by Catbird on Mon May 17, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:24 pm
DU-fan wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:13 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:18 am
maddog9718 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:12 am
DU-fan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:49 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:40 pm
DMac wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:30 pm You Hop folks are so used to talking about firing your coach you have to bring it to a Cuse-Gtown game thread?
We have scheduled a vote next week to expel jhu06 from the caucus.

Anyway, this is probably the best Georgetown team I have ever seen. Athletic, excellent speed, great stick skills, and a terrific goalie. No reason why they couldn’t win it all.

DocBarrister :shock:
I agree.

Georgetown is the heavy favorite over Bryant or UVA. Virginia may not beat Bryant after taking 3 weeks offs.

I don’t think GU would be the favorite against UVA
Lol Cuse murdered UVA. Why wouldn’t GU be favored? As it looks now even Michigan might be better than Notre Dame.
Anyone that thinks UVA will be the favorite only watches the ACC Network.
- UVA lost to SU 11-13 and 10-20
- Beat ND by 1
- Beat HPU by 1
- Beat UNC by 2, and lost to UNC by 3

ND win does not look as good after watch Drexel game yesterday.
UVA's success is based on match ups. UVA has some big strengths on offense. But, their face off and defense is average. Rode covers up a lot of defensive mistakes.

Georgetown will take advantage of the UVA weaknesses and their defense and goalie play will keep the UVA transition and offense in check.
This is a great Georgetown team, but I'm not sure what all the UVA weaknesses are. The only thing I see is they can lose focus. I mean, they don't lose many individual matchups compared to any team including Georgetown. Face-off, goalie, defense, middies and attack...where is the weakness?

Gtown-UVA is just a great game, I don't see any clear-cut favorite.
Their defense isn’t very good at all. You saw Bryant run by them quite a bit in the first 3 Quarters. In their games against UNC and Cuse they gave up a bunch of goals.

If they win a lot of faceoffs with that offense they can manage it; especially since Rode is a really, really great goalie. So FO’s + clearing will be interesting to watch against Georgetown.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Catbird wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 10:52 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:34 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:06 pm what are the chances these are deskos last weeks?
zippy. please stop posting crap like this. or keep going, it's humorous.
https://www.collegecrosse.com/2021/5/17 ... tournament

https://www.syracuse.com/orangelacrosse ... reset.html

:oops:

It was always pretty silly that a team with no players with experience winning in the NCAA tournament should be on a championship-or-bust tour.
i'm locked out of cuse.com. did axe have a "vote-of-confidence/no-confidence /we look at everything every year" quote from wildhack? i see mcdonnell didn't in his love letter.

emoji interpretation?
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

You acting like the forum police about the topic when it's clearly a fair topic.

Don't be a jerk.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Catbird wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:13 am You acting like the forum police about the topic when it's clearly a fair topic.

Don't be a jerk.
ahh. a couple random periphery lacrosse media takes. and "jerk". where are the mods? and no context added (post from a hopkins fan pre-syracuse tourney game)?

guess i can sum up your 2 posts here as ironic.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:25 am
Catbird wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:13 am You acting like the forum police about the topic when it's clearly a fair topic.

Don't be a jerk.
ahh. a couple random periphery lacrosse media takes. and "jerk". where are the mods? and no context added (post from a hopkins fan pre-syracuse tourney game)?

Axe is one of the most prominent media voices for lacrosse in Syracuse. He's not a nobody. He's about as big as you'll get in terms of calling for Desko to go. Quint isn't ever going to say a coach should be fired. College Crosse has a sizable following on Twitter and based on the article, it appears that the writer is a Syracuse alum. And it isn't written as a BURN IT ALL DOWN PUT DESKO ON A TORCH; so it appears to me that this has moved from message board trolls to more level headed voices calling for a change.

not sure why you're so mad at that being discussed.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:07 pm

Don't be a jerk.

Axe is one of the most prominent media voices for lacrosse in Syracuse. He's not a nobody. He's about as big as you'll get in terms of calling for Desko to go. Quint isn't ever going to say a coach should be fired. College Crosse has a sizable following on Twitter and based on the article, it appears that the writer is a Syracuse alum. And it isn't written as a BURN IT ALL DOWN PUT DESKO ON A TORCH; so it appears to me that this has moved from message board trolls to more level headed voices calling for a change.

it was from a hopkins fan on the game thread prior to a tournament game.

said hopkins fan isn't against controversial takes. and has a thick skin. i'm not mad. i actually encouraged him to post more on it.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:13 pm

Don't be a jerk.

said hopkins fan isn't against controversial takes. and has a thick skin. i'm not mad. i actually encouraged him to post more on it.
okay and? you're a virginia fan. what does being a fan have to do with pointing out that there are media people saying John Desko should potentially not be the coach at Cuse anymore? is he supposed to have the job till he dies?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:15 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:13 pm

Don't be a jerk.

okay and? you're a virginia fan. what does being a fan have to do with pointing out that there are media people saying John Desko should potentially not be the coach at Cuse anymore? is he supposed to have the job till he dies?
i'd say timing and place matters. at least that if you want to flame a thread, you could expect some blowback from some corners. '06 was not righteously inquisitive but rather doing the former and expecting the latter.

and catbird... wasn't doing that at all.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

well, posting such a query right before a game, in the game specific-thread rather than the team thread, with fans ready to cheer for victory...perhaps we can all agree, 'in bad taste'?

But certainly the sort of thing that can be expected on the forum and not an illegitimate topic. But time and place are bit obnoxious, IMO.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:42 pm well, posting such a query right before a game, in the game specific-thread rather than the team thread, with fans ready to cheer for victory...perhaps we can all agree, 'in bad taste'?

But certainly the sort of thing that can be expected on the forum and not an illegitimate topic. But time and place are bit obnoxious, IMO.
It would have been better to post it in the team thread where fans....aren't ready to cheer for victory? It's a fair question. The team had disappointed all year, hasn't competed for championships for years. And then they got blown out. It's an internet forum. John Desko isn't here to get his feelings hurt.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:50 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:42 pm well, posting such a query right before a game, in the game specific-thread rather than the team thread, with fans ready to cheer for victory...perhaps we can all agree, 'in bad taste'?

It would have been better to post it in the team thread where fans....aren't ready to cheer for victory? It's a fair question. The team had disappointed all year, hasn't competed for championships for years. And then they got blown out. It's an internet forum. John Desko isn't here to get his feelings hurt.
fair enough. and it's fair for me to post an answer. one he was probably expecting.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:50 pm

yes, IMO it was pertinent to discussions of the season and the potential upcoming ramifications...but not really pertinent to the specific game about to be played. Simply time and place, not objecting to the discussion.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I think the rule is BigTen = great; everything else garbage. Acc os overrated garbage.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”