BIG Tourney

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Shellax

Re: BIG Tourney

Post by Shellax »

NU probably felt let the NCAA handle it. See something,say something.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Well, it was a lot more than that.

Just read up a little bit on the situation. You are right. The ref in question did not officiate the game. It was alleged she stopped into the locker room at half time. Should she have done that? Perhaps not. But that is a far, far cry from proving that the refs who actually officiated the game made biased calls, which was the crux of the implication of Northwestern’s complaint.
Shellax

Post by Shellax »

" But that is a far, far cry from proving that the refs who actually officiated the game made biased calls, which was the crux of the implication of Northwestern’s complaint"

Can you give a link to show that these allegations were made. The NCAA had to do the look see because NU had no authority to contact the refs- they looked and filed no federal charges . Respect your opinion on these boards- should the ref gone into refs room at half?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Shellax wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:36 pm " But that is a far, far cry from proving that the refs who actually officiated the game made biased calls, which was the crux of the implication of Northwestern’s complaint"

Can you give a link to show that these allegations were made. The NCAA had to do the look see because NU had no authority to contact the refs- they looked and filed no federal charges . Respect your opinion on these boards- should the ref gone into refs room at half?
I'll link below what I found.

My recollection (which you have already shown to be somewhat fuzzy) is that that was the implication even if not expressly stated, which is why I used the phrase "crux of the implication." Look at the surrounding circumstances. NU had just had its multiple (5?) year streak broken. They were upset about that. Instead of congratulating Md. on their win or staying silent, they launch into this BS about an official, and not even one who reffed the game.

I assume you are being facetious in saying "federal charges" and, in fact, mean no disciple was meted out to the ref.

As I said above, perhaps she shouldn't have gone into the refs' locker room. But to me it depends on whether locker room visits by non-working officials are routine, never done, or prohibited by the ref rules. I don't know. If that came up ten years ago, I don't remember what the upshot was. It also depends on what was said. Even if the visit was technically a no no, was it just social chit chat? If so, I'm not particularly concerned. If she said, you gotta start making more calls in Maryland's favor, well, yes, we got a problem.

We are starting to go down a rabbit hole here (I plead guilty to being the lead rabbit), revisiting a controversy from 11 years ago. I brought it up in response to someone who made a vague reference about another reason TL was PO'd at NU. Regardless of what side of that controversy you are on, I think the Md. position was eminently reasonable and, indeed, the correct one. I recognize NU Nation sees it differently, or at least did at the time.

Here are a few articles. There are probably more. Tribune's article seems to no longer be available.

https://www.insidenu.com/2010/6/7/15047 ... -this-milk

https://dc.sbnation.com/2010/6/6/150406 ... s-maryland

https://chicago.sbnation.com/2010/6/6/1 ... rosse-refs
DMac

Post by DMac »

So the question now is, did the senior official and studly young trainer live happily ever after or was it just a steamy little fling?
Cletus

Hey TL...

Post by Cletus »

...this one’s for you 😉

https://youtu.be/a27yHWU9wxE
DMac

Post by DMac »

Laxallday wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:21 pm Rumor has it MD Coaches pulled Team off field for award ceremony. Not a great look for an otherwise great Coach.
Why is this a bad look? The team just got beat, probably not in the best of spirits, they have nothing to do with the ceremony, why is it a bad look for them to head to the locker room?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

DMac wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:53 am So the question now is, did the senior official and studly young trainer live happily ever after or was it just a steamy little fling?
Rumor has it they ran off and made a bunch of little zebras.

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

DMac wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:40 pm
Laxallday wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:21 pm Rumor has it MD Coaches pulled Team off field for award ceremony. Not a great look for an otherwise great Coach.
Why is this a bad look? The team just got beat, probably not in the best of spirits, they have nothing to do with the ceremony, why is it a bad look for them to head to the locker room?
Ok since you asked...I have attended several championship games for different conferences and not a single school skipped the awards presentation, where both the runner up and winners are announced, awarded trophies and the all tournament team players are announced, including two on MD yesterday I believe. IMHO it shows a lack of respect and class. I’ll bet you that KAH didn’t like watching MD hoist that same trophy three or four years in row but she and the Team stayed and showed sportsmanship.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Okay, now I get it, didn't know all that.
Agree, a bad look indeed.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

NU very famously left their hardware in the locker room at VU stadium when they lost in the NCAA semis in 2013. Maybe Reese was making a statement? breast for tat and all that?
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:06 pm NU very famously left their hardware in the locker room at VU stadium when they lost in the NCAA semis in 2013. Maybe Reese was making a statement? breast for tat and all that?
Did not know that. Don’t like any kind of bad sportsmanship, which I would call that as well. Little different than walking off the field in full view of other Coach, Team, Fans and Cameras, though.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:06 pm NU very famously left their hardware in the locker room at VU stadium when they lost in the NCAA semis in 2013. Maybe Reese was making a statement? breast for tat and all that?
Did not know that. Don’t like any kind of bad sportsmanship, which I would call that as well. Little different than walking off the field in full view of other Coach, Team, Fans and Cameras, though.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

Apparently it’s possible due to Covid rules the losing team may have been instructed to leave the field following the game. My faith in Lacrosse Coaching has been restored and I am happy to retract the post.
DMac

Post by DMac »

That makes sense cuz after you've run around for an hour or so face to face, huffing and puffing, and rolling around on the ground with one another a little bit it's a good idea to separate all those folks afterwards to keep 'em all safe, ya know. Makes sense like puttin' your beekeeper suit on after smacking the hive around a little bit first to me.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:49 pm That makes sense cuz after you've run around for an hour or so face to face, huffing and puffing, and rolling around on the ground with one another a little bit it's a good idea to separate all those folks afterwards to keep 'em all safe, ya know. Makes sense like puttin' your beekeeper suit on after smacking the hive around a little bit first to me.
The A10 had both UMass (happy) and SJU (not as happy) on the field for the presentation of awards. SJU stood politely through the donning of the special t-shirts, the ballcaps and the award of plaques, etc.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

seacoaster wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:09 am
DMac wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:49 pm That makes sense cuz after you've run around for an hour or so face to face, huffing and puffing, and rolling around on the ground with one another a little bit it's a good idea to separate all those folks afterwards to keep 'em all safe, ya know. Makes sense like puttin' your beekeeper suit on after smacking the hive around a little bit first to me.
The A10 had both UMass (happy) and SJU (not as happy) on the field for the presentation of awards. SJU stood politely through the donning of the special t-shirts, the ballcaps and the award of plaques, etc.
Syracuse left the field after the UNC loss in the ACC Championships. They went into their locker room and were called back out onto the field for the ceremonies.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Brownlax wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:48 am Syracuse left the field after the UNC loss in the ACC Championships. They went into their locker room and were called back out onto the field for the ceremonies.
Which begs the question: were the little turtles summoned as well?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Brownlax wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:48 am
Syracuse left the field after the UNC loss in the ACC Championships. They went into their locker room and were called back out onto the field for the ceremonies.
Given the above covid protocol explanation would that be because they were doing what they thought they were supposed to be doing?
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

DMac wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:17 am
Brownlax wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:48 am
Given the above covid protocol explanation would that be because they were doing what they thought they were supposed to be doing?
I really don;t think it was Covid Protocol. Both teams just played 3 games in the ACC's. They finished the championship game and they always have an awards ceremony with the ACC officials. This is when awards are given out for 2nd place, the Championship trophy and the All-tournament Team.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”