2021 Tewaaraton watch list released

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: 2021 Tewaaraton watch list released

Post by seacoaster »

Bart wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:26 am
Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:26 pm
8meterPA wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 pm you cannot "woo" or contact another player, that's tampering. Once you are in the portal, then contact is allowed.
That's the letter of the law--we all know that. We also know there are a whole host of ways to woo or contact players using other methods. No way a player just enters the portal with no idea of where they want to go.
So are you suggesting someone at BC was doing something against the rules? That certainly is what your post is implying.

I know of several players who have entered the portal with out knowing where they want to go. Once you enter, you start the dance all over again.
I think the chances of AWW reaching out to North in advance of her entering the portal is very remote, so remote that suggesting it is close to OOB. This was a player in the same conference, playing at the time for a widely respected and well-known member of the very small coaching world. Kimel and AWW both from the Maryland extended family and coaching tree. It is just inconceivable to me that BC's coaching staff made any inappropriate overtures or contact in advance of North heading back to the marketplace...where she knew she would have interest and offers.

So we are agreed? It's Ortega? Phew, glad we talked this out.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:10 am
Bart wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:26 am
Cletus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:26 pm
8meterPA wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 pm you cannot "woo" or contact another player, that's tampering. Once you are in the portal, then contact is allowed.
That's the letter of the law--we all know that. We also know there are a whole host of ways to woo or contact players using other methods. No way a player just enters the portal with no idea of where they want to go.
So are you suggesting someone at BC was doing something against the rules? That certainly is what your post is implying.

I know of several players who have entered the portal with out knowing where they want to go. Once you enter, you start the dance all over again.
I think the chances of AWW reaching out to North in advance of her entering the portal is very remote, so remote that suggesting it is close to OOB. This was a player in the same conference, playing at the time for a widely respected and well-known member of the very small coaching world. Kimel and AWW both from the Maryland extended family and coaching tree. It is just inconceivable to me that BC's coaching staff made any inappropriate overtures or contact in advance of North heading back to the marketplace...where she knew she would have interest and offers.

So we are agreed? It's Ortega? Phew, glad we talked this out.
LOL!
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:10 am I think the chances of AWW reaching out to North in advance of her entering the portal is very remote, so remote that suggesting it is close to OOB.
Where did I name AWW?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

In a forum which uses the written word almost exclusively, how is it that one can be misquoted and misinterpreted so often?
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:57 am In a forum which uses the written word almost exclusively, how is it that one can be misquoted and misinterpreted so often?
Start with This......."How do you know she was unhappy? How do you know it was a bad match? Is it possible North could have been wooed? What if she got "an offer she couldn't refuse"? What if BC courted her? Is there anything of substance beyond hearsay and conjecture?"

Which had a reply like this: "you cannot "woo" or contact another player, that's tampering. Once you are in the portal, then contact is allowed."

Then an answer like this" That's the letter of the law--we all know that. We also know there are a whole host of ways to woo or contact players using other methods. No way a player just enters the portal with no idea of where they want to go."

So how is it that you are being misrepresented? You ask is BC courted her? Was said that that's a nono. Then you state that there are ways around this and that no player enters the portal with no idea of where they want to go. That implies that the player knows they will have an offer, knows they will have a scholarship and in order to do that must have talked to a coach or someone associated with a particular team, in this case BC. You did not bring up AWW directly but implying her team implies her.

That is my interpretation of what you have written. IF it is a misrepresentation then you should clear it up. But from where I stand it appeared to me you were making a fairly serious accusation even if you did not mean to do so.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:31 am
seacoaster wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:10 am I think the chances of AWW reaching out to North in advance of her entering the portal is very remote, so remote that suggesting it is close to OOB.
Where did I name AWW?
This is what you wrote:

"How do you know she was unhappy? How do you know it was a bad match? Is it possible North could have been wooed? What if she got "an offer she couldn't refuse"? What if BC courted her? Is there anything of substance beyond hearsay and conjecture?"

BC and AWW are pretty much synonymous. The inference drawn by me was, I think, pretty fair based on the words you used. Apparently I was wrong. It's all good; no broken bones, no blood.
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

Cletus responded to the statement that "an unhappy player of that caliber is like a cancer". Listen to her podcast interview with Paul Carcaterra. Here's a woman with passion and the desire to develop into the best she can be including competing for the Tewaarton, which she clearly has accomplished based on the title of this thread. The answer may be as simple as this: she wanted to put herself in a place where her talents could be fully developed, and felt that playing for AWW and Kayla Treanor (one of those she specifically calls out as emulating in the podcast) gave her the best chance of achieving her goals. Hard to argue it was a bad decision for her or BC.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

This. 1,000 times, THIS:

The answer may be as simple as this: she wanted to put herself in a place where (she felt ... my edit) her talents could be fully developed, and felt that playing for AWW and Kayla Treanor (one of those she specifically calls out as emulating in the podcast) gave her the best chance of achieving her goals.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:24 am
Cletus wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:31 am
Where did I name AWW?
This is what you wrote:

"How do you know she was unhappy? How do you know it was a bad match? Is it possible North could have been wooed? What if she got "an offer she couldn't refuse"? What if BC courted her? Is there anything of substance beyond hearsay and conjecture?"

BC and AWW are pretty much synonymous. The inference drawn by me was, I think, pretty fair based on the words you used. Apparently I was wrong. It's all good; no broken bones, no blood.
Thanks, sea. No blood, no foul.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Bart wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:21 am You did not bring up AWW directly but implying her team implies her.
Right there is where your train goes off the tracks, with that particular assumption.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

crazyhorse wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:59 am Cletus responded to the statement that "an unhappy player of that caliber is like a cancer". Listen to her podcast interview with Paul Carcaterra. Here's a woman with passion and the desire to develop into the best she can be including competing for the Tewaarton, which she clearly has accomplished based on the title of this thread. The answer may be as simple as this: she wanted to put herself in a place where her talents could be fully developed, and felt that playing for AWW and Kayla Treanor (one of those she specifically calls out as emulating in the podcast) gave her the best chance of achieving her goals. Hard to argue it was a bad decision for her or BC.
Well said, crazyhorse. This is where I was hoping to steer the attention—to more magnanimous suppositions.
Cletus

And then there were 25…

Post by Cletus »

laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

No, you can't really call out BC without implicating AWW herself, unless you're implying there's some conspiracy from deeper in the athletic department (which, please, this is women's lacrosse). And while North is a great player, she's not good enough for AWW to risk her career over. Unless someone has evidence to suggest that anything here wasn't done by the book, this is purely speculation bordering on defamatory and it really shouldn't continue.
Lax247

Re: And then there were 25…

Post by Lax247 »

Cletus wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:39 pm https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... -announced

Let the grousing begin!
OK Ill start:
Supposedly the year of the goalie and only 2 goalies on list? And Im not thrilled with the choice there either...
Surprised the only candidate from ND is ^.....see above
Eh Florida, would have gone with Reznick and Trombetta
Maryland.....2? Colson yes. that's it.
And where's Parella from Hofstra?
Thats it. Have a nice day :)
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:19 pm No, you can't really call out BC without implicating AWW herself, unless you're implying there's some conspiracy from deeper in the athletic department (which, please, this is women's lacrosse). And while North is a great player, she's not good enough for AWW to risk her career over. Unless someone has evidence to suggest that anything here wasn't done by the book, this is purely speculation bordering on defamatory and it really shouldn't continue.
“Context - the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect: You have misinterpreted my remark because you took it out of context.”

— Dictionary entry

Where did I call out BC?
You also didn’t carefully read what I wrote.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:35 am
Bart wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:21 am You did not bring up AWW directly but implying her team implies her.
Right there is where your train goes off the tracks, with that particular assumption.
Nope. Train is just fine.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:15 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:19 pm No, you can't really call out BC without implicating AWW herself, unless you're implying there's some conspiracy from deeper in the athletic department (which, please, this is women's lacrosse). And while North is a great player, she's not good enough for AWW to risk her career over. Unless someone has evidence to suggest that anything here wasn't done by the book, this is purely speculation bordering on defamatory and it really shouldn't continue.
“Context - the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect: You have misinterpreted my remark because you took it out of context.”

— Dictionary entry

Where did I call out BC?
Umm, again: "How do you know she was unhappy? How do you know it was a bad match? Is it possible North could have been wooed? What if she got "an offer she couldn't refuse"? What if BC courted her? Is there anything of substance beyond hearsay and conjecture?"

This was at least a material part of the context. Calling out folks for reading a reasonable inference into your use of "bad match," "...wooed?" and "BC courted her," is kind of, well, unreasonable. Overall, it sort of sounds like [much ado about not much and] you created sufficient "context for reasonable people to have taken your statement the way we did.

So, to sum up, Izzy doesn't get the award until NU plays somebody good, right? Agreed? Sweet.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

I'm not holding anyone's hand to lead them through each sentence and each question mark to explain myself. Very interesting that no one yet has included the post that I responded to in writing what I wrote. crazyhorse is the only one who mentioned it, and got my point.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:28 pm
Cletus wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:15 pm

— Dictionary entry

Where did I call out BC?
Umm, again: "How do you know she was unhappy? How do you know it was a bad match? Is it possible North could have been wooed? What if she got "an offer she couldn't refuse"? What if BC courted her? Is there anything of substance beyond hearsay and conjecture?"

This was at least a material part of the context. Calling out folks for reading a reasonable inference into your use of "bad match," "...wooed?" and "BC courted her," is kind of, well, unreasonable. Overall, it sort of sounds like [much ado about not much and] you created sufficient "context for reasonable people to have taken your statement the way we did.

So, to sum up, Izzy doesn't get the award until NU plays somebody good, right? Agreed? Sweet.

My top 3, in order. Ortega, Izzy, North. I think Ortega has the easiest path, North has the most momentum, and Izzy needs NU to get to championship game and shine in order to win...she isn't getting a lot of airtime.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Agreed, Cletus posts -unintentionally- hinted towards sketchy behavior by BC staff, that did not happen. North wanted a different experience and there were probably 5 other schools she'd even consider. UNC and MD were a no, SYR was loaded on attack, NU would have been a good fit. She found the best home is playing great lacrosse and her team is red hot.

Ortega all day.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”