Dartmouth 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
smoova

Re: Dartmouth 2021

Post by smoova »

Unknown Participant wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:30 am So MD laxfan ...

What did you mean by this?:

"Now, ....... Tufts (and other NESCAC's) are not exactly the same academically [as Dartmouth]"
I think he was comparing Stevenson/Salisbury to Tufts/NESCACs.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

smoova wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:54 am
Unknown Participant wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:30 am So MD laxfan ...

What did you mean by this?:

"Now, ....... Tufts (and other NESCAC's) are not exactly the same academically [as Dartmouth]"
I think he was comparing Stevenson/Salisbury to Tufts/NESCACs.
Yikes, I certainly was!
I'd just made clear that Tufts and other NESCAC's are very similar, academically, to Dartmouth (and other Ivies.

Stevenson and Salisbury are unquestionably not as close comparably on that dimension to the NESCACs. Factual, but not intended disrespectfully to S and S...they simply are less selective and their applicant pool profiles quite differently. Great lacrosse (which is why I mentioned them at all) and good schools for the right applicants.

By extension, I picked out of the hat two Big 10 schools, Ohio State and Penn State...great schools, right? Yet unquestionably not as selective nor with the same applicant profiles as the Ivies and NESCACs. Would anyone argue that you can't get a great education at these schools? Not me.

But schools are not all the same. Acknowledging that is not intended disrespectfully.

wgdsr calling that a "pissing contest"...pretty typical comment, but ahh well. He might be worried that I'd point out that his alma mater UVA has a 23.9 % acceptance rate (pretty darn strong), but heck he knows I have a real affection for my dad's and granddad's and niece's school and my own #2 choice all those years ago...UVA alums tend to be pretty darn proud of their school's "ranking" among public universities (usually #3) and overall...are they in a "pissing contest"?

Sheesh.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it's fairly unique to the ivy lacrosse threads to bang on other schools' academics unsolicited.

but of course you know that.

personally, i like it better when it's eat your own.
HU34

Post by HU34 »

Lacrosse anyone? This is a very interesting game. Dartmouth, who has been out of action for awhile, matches up against a very good and recently hot Tufts team. This game will tell you everything about the gap between D1 and D3. I think Tufts will hang around but Dartmouth wins it comfortably.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

HU34 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:58 am Lacrosse anyone? This is a very interesting game. Dartmouth, who has been out of action for awhile, matches up against a very good and recently hot Tufts team. This game will tell you everything about the gap between D1 and D3. I think Tufts will hang around but Dartmouth wins it comfortably.
I don't think it really will. Dartmouth doesn't have its full team. I won't be shocked by any of the results. Could be a great game, could be blowouts on either side.
HU34

Post by HU34 »

I'm factoring in Dartmouth has a short bench. Under regular circumstances I believe the Big Green would run away with it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:53 am it's fairly unique to the ivy lacrosse threads to bang on other schools' academics unsolicited.

me too...much more appropriate to razz one's league rivals....though even that is often perceived by those outside as snobbery.

Even the most factual comment can be perceived as such.

But yeah, Ivy sorts can sometimes slip into a bit of academic snobbery, and without much of a push! Within the League, it's pretty well understood that some schools' alums are more prone to such than others... ;)

That said, the Ivies generally often come under rather withering unsolicited, and typically uninformed, attacks on these threads from non-Ivy alums for their various perceived flaws.

For my own part, I think what's most important is for a youngster to take advantage of every opportunity to improve themselves along their path. Not all paths start at the same place, not all paths progress at the same rate, but every day is a new day to move forward. Go to class, do the homework, go meet your professors, read and read some more...learn to code...explore art. All of these schools present lots and lots of opportunities to move forward. Take them.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HU34 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:09 am I'm factoring in Dartmouth has a short bench. Under regular circumstances I believe the Big Green would run away with it.
Hmmm, very short bench.
Full strength, most years, it would be a tough game.
I don't think it means a hill of beans either way.
Presumably neither team will be well oiled, though Tufts has been playing and doing well.

Just have fun guys.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:19 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:53 am it's fairly unique to the ivy lacrosse threads to bang on other schools' academics unsolicited.

me too...much more appropriate to razz one's league rivals....though even that is often perceived by those outside as snobbery.

But yeah, Ivy sorts can sometimes slip into a bit of academic snobbery, and without much of a push! Within the League, it's pretty well understood that some schools' alums are more prone to such than others... ;)

That said, the Ivies generally often come under rather withering unsolicited, and typically uninformed, attacks on these threads from non-Ivy alums for their various perceived flaws.

For my own part, I think what's most important is for a youngster to take advantage of every opportunity to improve themselves along their path. Not all paths start at the same place, not all paths progress at the same rate, but every day is a new day to move forward. Go to class, do the homework, go meet your professors, read and read some more...learn to code...explore art. All of these schools present lots and lots of opportunities to move forward. Take them.
Wasn’t “razzing” Dartmouth, just trying to understand what was meant by “academically”[challenging].

FWIW I am an Ivy alum.

Back to discussion of D1 vs. D3 lax. How about the Penn/Cabrini on Friday?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:45 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:19 am

Wasn’t “razzing” Dartmouth, just trying to understand what was meant by “academically”[challenging].

FWIW I am an Ivy alum.

Back to discussion of D1 vs. D3 lax. How about the Penn/Cabrini on Friday?
I didn't interpret your comment as a razz, more of a challenge to simplistic measures. ;)

And yes, no doubt that the selectivity measures factors to which socio-economic situation contributes heavily to 'academic' scores. Of course, as you undoubtedly also know as an Ivy alum, our schools also weigh other factors heavily too, amongst the many, many 'academically' qualified applicants to then pull in those with other factors into the mix. Looking for potential beyond current/past 'academic' achievement and advantaging such less obvious factors...lots of perfect SAT applicants rejected for applicants with some special 'it' or 'grit' factor. Frustrating for those with great SAT/ACT scores, strong grades, maybe legacy pull... but somehow not enough 'it' or 'grit'.

I don't have any opinion on Penn and Cabrini other than it's great the guys are going to get to play some ball.

Back to Tufts, in 2020 they were averaging 25 goals per game in their 4-0 start, including on the prior year's runner-up in the tourney, Amherst. This year, they're averaging 26 goals in their 3-0 start. They can sling it.

Gotta win face offs.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Toplucy15 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:20 am Dartmouth vs Tufts top 3 D3 team
Dartmouth vs Saint A's a top 20 D2 team

Thoughts on outcome?
As noted, Dartmouth is very thin, and young, with so many guys not on campus. And practice has been very limited.

I wouldn't be surprised if they 'lose' either or both these contests.

But just getting to play is a 'win' at this point, so have fun.
None of it means more than there's light at the end of this tunnel.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

What an intriguing matchup (Dartmouth v. Tufts) -- any sense of if there might be a livestream available?
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Just a little more fuel to the DIII-DI debate: Tufts has been a tremendous team for the past decade, winning the NESCAC 9 of 10 years. The year they played Harvard in a scrimmage game the game ended 15-15 after four quarters. In the fifth quarter all players from TuFts played giving the Jumbos all an opportunity to have played in Harvard stadium and Harvard did win that quarter by about 2-3 goals thereby "winning" the game scrimmage.
The following year Tufts scrimmaged the Boston Cannons and it was close....so close that there was some physical altercation between the teams as the Jumbos shocked everyone by being so competitive. In that game the jumbos won only one or two face offs. Had they had anywhere near a normal amount of possessions who knows what might have happened??Two players from that Jumbo squad were drafted in the MlL
Back to Dartmouth-TUfts I find this very interesting. You are looking at the top of the NESCAC(for a decade) with the bottom of the IVY League for (how long?). I don't believe Dartmouth has won an IL game in five years. Though the margins have gotten closer the biggest question at Dartmouth has been when will they win an IL game? I would be impressed if Dartmouth could beat Tufts but we will see. not quite Duke-ND but a lot of people will be interested in the results
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

The Orfling wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:27 pm What an intriguing matchup (Dartmouth v. Tufts) -- any sense of if there might be a livestream available?
It looks like Dartmouth - Tufts will be on ESPN+ today at 3 pm.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Dartmouth women drop one to Tufts 11-5.

Hope the men can contain the Jumbos.

Either way, I am just happy they are playing today.

GBG
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

...is this the reality slap for the Dartmouth AD? Jumbos rolling
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

With all due respect to Dartmouth, I don't understand why they would schedule this game. You can talk about the short bench all you want....but this was always going to be the outcome. And if you didn't see this coming, you are either blinded by your "Division 1" elitism or don't know much about top tier Division 3 teams. I played and coached at both levels. This outcome does not shock me at all. Tufts is the real, freakin, deal. Would they beat an ACC team? Of course not. But Dartmouth, yes, this was always going to be the outcome.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

What would your guess be on a random late-April game with Dartmouth having a normal practice schedule and a full squad?
I know Dartmouth is not Penn and Tufts is not Cabrini.

Back in the day, Hobart, which ruled DIII, could play with Syracuse and Cornell, but seldom won. People who knew better told me the difference was the second and (again, back in the day) third mid-field depth.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:15 pm With all due respect to Dartmouth, I don't understand why they would schedule this game. You can talk about the short bench all you want....but this was always going to be the outcome. And if you didn't see this coming, you are either blinded by your "Division 1" elitism or don't know much about top tier Division 3 teams. I played and coached at both levels. This outcome does not shock me at all. Tufts is the real, freakin, deal. Would they beat an ACC team? Of course not. But Dartmouth, yes, this was always going to be the outcome.
If this was always going to be the outcome, where are your posts from before the game? Anyway, Tufts is excellent and played very well today. From what I could tell they played a team that has barely begun their season and started 5 freshmen. I suspect the coach wanted his freshmen to get some game experience before they became sophomores. But you are the Pundit! It shows in your omniscient post game “anaylsis”. 😂
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Hincks is the only reason this game didn't get out of control...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”