DU-fan

Re: Pro N Cons Another Season Senior Eligibilty

Post by DU-fan »

+2 Quaker South. Great post.

Plus the great senior players may also get to play in the PLL/MLL
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Whatever situation the NCAA permits needs to be for all players, not just Seniors. Many contend that few seniors will opt for this for a number of reasons but they should have the choice. It may involve an extra year of expenses for tuition room board etc

Completing the season in the Fall allows only one semesters expenses for those who wish it and incoming Freshman precluded from Fall competition would of course have the spring season as they normally would. You have a two week fall practice then a 2/3 season that could be completed by early November if not sooner. The Seniors currently who wanted a complete four years of lax would have 1/2 year expenses. If my son (Underclassman)wants a fifth year I would want him enrolled in graduate courses or take a Fall semester off doing an internship or testing the working world so I avoid paying 10 semesters expenses for a four year degree. I would pay nine semesters considering the effort and importance to him but that requires a Fall off.

A Notre Dame starting lineman graduated in four and used his redshirt fifth year taking Law school classes. Lots of options with creative planning and individual and institutional support and willingness.
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

I would agree that you either give everyone an extra year or no one an extra year.

Question. Isn’t athletic scholarships year to year. So even if you sign your letter of intent for $20,000 a year athletic scholarship. Couldn’t that be reduced before your sophomore year? Thanks n other words change on a year to year basis?
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Highly doubt Bearfan's ,two seasons within one, would be considered because of its awkwardness in implementing but it does make some sense. Kicking off quickly without much preparation be a issue though somewhat akin to fall scrimmages .
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

I think if kids knew they would return in the Fall to complete their suspended season they would come to campus prepared to accept the “gift” of a continued season. Allowing the freshman to practice but not play would be no different than participation in Fall ball without the Fall scrimmage games.
At the completion of the fall season those players that completed their four years of lax would move on. This would allow incoming freshman and last years freshman, sophs and jrs to form a team with four years of players and not a log jam of too many players.
Most importantly. Present freshman, sophs,and jrs would complete four full years of lax but pay only the expected eight semesters tuition. If you grant a fifth year you need to pay ten semesters tuition and then you get scrambling for grad school, double majors and taking a Fall semester off to have to pay “only” nine semesters

Last point in favor of doing this is there would likely be less transfer portal activity as the teams would be more likely to stick together with back to back Fall/Spring seasons. I might be missing something but to me this makes a fair amount of sense. I said in earlier posts I would support my sons desire to get the fifth year but not eager to pay the extra semester or two that would be required
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

A human tragedy is unfolding in front of our eyes and a bunch of senior class lacrosse players and their parents are complaining about missing about 15% of the games in their college careers.
This pandemic will be a devastating life altering event for many who don’t even get sick with the virus.
Universities will lose millions of dollars in room and board refunds and some will lose up to billions in their endowments. There will be massive layoffs of people who work at those schools and substantial income will be lost for others. There will be some small D2 and D3 schools that won’t survive. What about the people who rely on jobs at those schools?
What about the refs and others that work on game day? What about the trainers and others who support the players keeping them healthy? Do people not realize how serious this is? Who’s giving those people 5th years?
Why are the high profile senior players with strong social media platforms not trying to help? Why are they instead solely focused on getting a few more lacrosse games so that they can actually end up almost having a 4.5 year college career.
Why are the high profile coaches and programs not pitching in? Why is the lacrosse community silent to the tragedy unfolding and not trying to help those facing real problems as a result of the season being cancelled?
This fifth year reaction is beyond pathetic. It’s sickening selfishness in the face of adversity for others. It’s not teamwork, it’s not manning up, it’s not grit, it’s not character, it represents none of the values of team sports.
It’s the behavior that comes with an entitlement attitude.
Just calling it like I see it.
Wouldn’t it be great if a high profile senior said on social media, “I don’t care about a 5th year. I’m not taking one. I’d rather see my parents money or my scholarship money go to help these people who are hurting at these schools.”
Imagine how powerful that would be and how many people would pay it forward. It would be a pandemic of its own of people sacrificing to help the little guy.
That would be a hell of a lot more awesome to watch than someone playing a 5th year.
Towson2020

Post by Towson2020 »

The truth- awesome and spot on post
Razor21

Post by Razor21 »

Thetruth, get over yourself. Players are still processing. I am sure they will mobilize the full power of their social media posts real soon. (Sarcasm.)
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

If a continuation of the season could be pulled off in the fall I’d be for it. But I don’t think that is at all possible considering the financial burden and other limited resources including fields and university staff competing with traditional fall sports. And if you did this for lacrosse they would need to do for all sports.

As said IMO the least bad option is give all players a 5th year. Then it’s their decision and likely only a small number will take advantage of it. Sports are competitive with the field of competition always subject to change. Everyone will know what that competition is and hopefully the overall objective is teamwork which is the biggest life lesson that sports can bring.
Baltcolax

Post by Baltcolax »

The NCAA acted prematurely out of emotion. The decision should not have been made until things calmed down and they had time to sort through the ramifications to everyone. It is heartbreaking but there is currently heartbreak all over the world and disruptions to plans, lives and dreams. A fifth year for them effects all underclassmen and several recruiting classes after them. Many of the current high school seniors did not even get to step on the field for a game or put on a uniform and their senior year season is over. One of the best years for any lacrosse player. No redos. No special accommodations. A fifth year for college seniors means underclassmen and those with NLIs are going to be subject to full rosters, depth chart changes, potential future loss of scholarships and roster spots as this all pushes down to the lower levels and the effect will be felt for years to accommodate this one group. Their time together was cut short and we all agree it is terrible but we should not be trying to fix it for these young graduating adults at the expense of others.
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

I believe the NCAA apparently thought the cancellation of this Springs lacrosse season was a big enough deal to grant all players a fifth year. For those players willing to exercise that option, someone would have to pay two extra semesters to play a fifth spring season unless they take the fall semester off. Also the returning seniors would create more competition and roster spot issues. So I just offered the idea of the completion of this spring season in the Fall rather than add an additional spring fifth season.
Obviously dealing with this pandemic virus issue is of paramount importance.....I was just offering a diversion : a discussion of options of dealing with a fifth year for all players and not interfering with incoming classes or maturing underclassmen who want their chance to play.
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

“thetruth” post well said! There are much bigger things. We could be experiencing what Italy is in a few short weeks. And it’s not like these players lost their entire season, seems like most played almost half their games. The NCAA does just mention “eligibility relief” so maybe they are not 100% on board either.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

thetruth wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:31 pm A human tragedy is unfolding in front of our eyes and a bunch of senior class lacrosse players and their parents are complaining about missing about 15% of the games in their college careers.
This pandemic will be a devastating life altering event for many who don’t even get sick with the virus.
Universities will lose millions of dollars in room and board refunds and some will lose up to billions in their endowments. There will be massive layoffs of people who work at those schools and substantial income will be lost for others. There will be some small D2 and D3 schools that won’t survive. What about the people who rely on jobs at those schools?
What about the refs and others that work on game day? What about the trainers and others who support the players keeping them healthy? Do people not realize how serious this is? Who’s giving those people 5th years?
Why are the high profile senior players with strong social media platforms not trying to help? Why are they instead solely focused on getting a few more lacrosse games so that they can actually end up almost having a 4.5 year college career.
Why are the high profile coaches and programs not pitching in? Why is the lacrosse community silent to the tragedy unfolding and not trying to help those facing real problems as a result of the season being cancelled?
This fifth year reaction is beyond pathetic. It’s sickening selfishness in the face of adversity for others. It’s not teamwork, it’s not manning up, it’s not grit, it’s not character, it represents none of the values of team sports.
It’s the behavior that comes with an entitlement attitude.
Just calling it like I see it.
Wouldn’t it be great if a high profile senior said on social media, “I don’t care about a 5th year. I’m not taking one. I’d rather see my parents money or my scholarship money go to help these people who are hurting at these schools.”
Imagine how powerful that would be and how many people would pay it forward. It would be a pandemic of its own of people sacrificing to help the little guy.
That would be a hell of a lot more awesome to watch than someone playing a 5th year.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

We are at war.
We can't see the enemy until he has caused his damage.
And once he causes his damage, we can't stop it.
He uses the young and healthy to stealthily deliver his weaponry to the old and weak.
Through that, he will consume our health care system which will destroy not only those he has infected, but others as well.
The ramifications will be felt for years and the financial tragedies that ensue will be the worst of our lifetime.

Unless.... Unless we ALL act ASAP.
And our weapon to fight back is a simple one. JUST STAY HOME.
We don''t need to go to the battle field, we don't need to kill, we don't need to live in fear of what is around the corner.
We just need to STAY HOME.
But in order to win this war, we ALL need to do it.
We ALL need to be SELFLESS and join together for the greater good.
We ALL need to GET THE WORD OUT.

The lacrosse world prides itself on being tough guys with grit, persistence, selflessness and character bonded together for the team to prevail.
The lacrosse world prides itself on being Patriots, proudly sporting American Flags on their uniforms and incorporating military ethos into their training and culture.
Well, we need all of that right now. We need it all.
Be in it to win it and be a Patriot. STAY HOME AND GET THE WORD OUT EARLY AND OFTEN.

Lacrosse community, stop feeling sorry for yourself. Stop worrying about lost lacrosse opportunities. Stop worrying about getting 5th years because, from your narrow perspective, "something was stolen" from you or your child.
Nothing was stolen.
We went to war and the call to arms was the day the season was cancelled.
socalref

Post by socalref »

I think "thetruth" needs to listen to his own advice from Friday: "Anyone considering sticking around needs to hear what all of this means before making any decision."

It hasn't even been 48 business hours since the season was officially cancelled. Let the dust settle and let things get ironed out. Otherwise, you're likely to break your neck falling off that mile high soap box you're preaching from.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Along the same lines, thetruth (and all), politics in the Politics Forum...
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

During this "no recruiting allowed till 4/15/2020", can high school players make a commitment?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

oldbartman wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:58 pm During this "no recruiting allowed till 4/15/2020", can high school players make a commitment?
Recruits: The NCAA has mandated a recruiting Dead Period through 4/15:

🚫No home visits
🚫No official or unofficial visits
🚫No evaluations
✅Phone calls
✅Texts and emails
✅Send those updated transcripts, test scores, HL tapes, Full Game videos.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

admin wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:52 pm Along the same lines, thetruth (and all), politics in the Politics Forum...
Definitely not making any political statements at all, but I take your point that my post drifted off this forum's topic so I will not continue.
Stay safe everyone.
Last edited by thetruth on Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

"He uses the young and healthy to stealthily deliver his weaponry to the old and weak"

He's right about that, young people can shed, many older cant. be responsible not only to yourself but others

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”