NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
JBFortunato

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by JBFortunato »

lilax wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:27 pm
ah23 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:12 pm
JumboFan4 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:30 pm Much of the Jumbos' success this year will rest on shoulders of those who are set to replace Murphy and Connelly. Do they replace Murphy by moving Trieber from midfield to attack, or do they keep him at mid and play some combination of Adam and Samuelson, and/or an underclassman? Not sure they have anyone with Connelly's power on the roster right now. Kurtz and Broekmate also leave sizeable shoes to fill. Interested to see who steps up.
Tufts' offense in general is going to be really interesting this year because of how important their graduating class was. A few thoughts:

Making predictions on February 10th is a losing game, but I would bet against anyone on the current roster being able to replace Connelly's outside shooting (unless Waldbaum spent all summer practicing his 16-yard stepdowns). Bryce Adam is a tough cover and would be an interesting option as a more ball-dominant distributor at attack. Wouldn't be too much of a shift to move Trieber around - he was an attackman two years ago before switching to middie last year...though I can't imagine many 2nd Team All-Americans are told to switch positions before their senior season. There is arguably enough talent at midfield to make the shift though - Shanks and Samuelson were both All-Americans of some kind last year (even if IMO that was more about the name on the front of the jersey than the back). If the underclassmen (eg. Kelleher or Bredahl) look like they can handle expanded roles at attack, they won't need to move people around. I suppose there's always the possibility that Tufts has a starter waiting in the wings who we don't know about because they spent last year hanging out on the sidelines (like Waldbaum), but we'll have to wait and see.
I think the 2 names that stick out to me at attack are Bredahl and Duke Alf. Both saw time at different points of the year, and produced. Bredahl was a ball carrying X attackman in high school. He was a Top 100 recruit at 1 point. You'd think this would be his time to shine (Like Murphy coming out of nowhere his sophomore year). Alf was very athletic and probably could also play Midfield. This is also where we'll see how D'Annolfo has been recruiting. He's done a great job up until this point. But the last of Daly's guys are juniors.

My questions with them are scoring depth. They graduated their most of their 2nd midfield line. I don't know who else they have that can step up.
Not sure how interested D'Annolfo is in playing freshmen, but Swank has an absolute cannon of a shot. If he can adjust quickly to the college game, and D'Annolfo gives him a chance, he could provide some fireworks. One of the best offensive players in the CIAC the last two years, even while always drawing the best pole and constant doubles.
Dave

Post by Dave »

...maybe not so much this year-but don’t sleep on the Camels. I’m betting interim HC is not interim-that along with talented and deep 2020 class will bring them back quickly..
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

I'm sleeping and I'm sleeping good :D
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

JBFortunato wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:04 am
lilax wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:27 pm
ah23 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:12 pm
JumboFan4 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:30 pm Much of the Jumbos' success this year will rest on shoulders of those who are set to replace Murphy and Connelly. Do they replace Murphy by moving Trieber from midfield to attack, or do they keep him at mid and play some combination of Adam and Samuelson, and/or an underclassman? Not sure they have anyone with Connelly's power on the roster right now. Kurtz and Broekmate also leave sizeable shoes to fill. Interested to see who steps up.
Tufts' offense in general is going to be really interesting this year because of how important their graduating class was. A few thoughts:

Making predictions on February 10th is a losing game, but I would bet against anyone on the current roster being able to replace Connelly's outside shooting (unless Waldbaum spent all summer practicing his 16-yard stepdowns). Bryce Adam is a tough cover and would be an interesting option as a more ball-dominant distributor at attack. Wouldn't be too much of a shift to move Trieber around - he was an attackman two years ago before switching to middie last year...though I can't imagine many 2nd Team All-Americans are told to switch positions before their senior season. There is arguably enough talent at midfield to make the shift though - Shanks and Samuelson were both All-Americans of some kind last year (even if IMO that was more about the name on the front of the jersey than the back). If the underclassmen (eg. Kelleher or Bredahl) look like they can handle expanded roles at attack, they won't need to move people around. I suppose there's always the possibility that Tufts has a starter waiting in the wings who we don't know about because they spent last year hanging out on the sidelines (like Waldbaum), but we'll have to wait and see.
I think the 2 names that stick out to me at attack are Bredahl and Duke Alf. Both saw time at different points of the year, and produced. Bredahl was a ball carrying X attackman in high school. He was a Top 100 recruit at 1 point. You'd think this would be his time to shine (Like Murphy coming out of nowhere his sophomore year). Alf was very athletic and probably could also play Midfield. This is also where we'll see how D'Annolfo has been recruiting. He's done a great job up until this point. But the last of Daly's guys are juniors.

My questions with them are scoring depth. They graduated their most of their 2nd midfield line. I don't know who else they have that can step up.
Not sure how interested D'Annolfo is in playing freshmen, but Swank has an absolute cannon of a shot. If he can adjust quickly to the college game, and D'Annolfo gives him a chance, he could provide some fireworks. One of the best offensive players in the CIAC the last two years, even while always drawing the best pole and constant doubles.
Absolutely second this, Swank has as hard a shot as I have ever seen in high school and is a physical presence. Also not sure how much of the field he will see as a freshman but if you let him get his hands free, whoa boy.
TheHeftyLefty

Post by TheHeftyLefty »

I have been watching Jumbo practices from the woods behind the field, and think they have a real shot this year. Lots of love for Williams and the hopeful "position less" offense of Amherst, but these Jumbos can play. Remind me of the 2015 days.

Jumbos are my new team.

Go Jumbos!
Last edited by TheHeftyLefty on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

TheHeftyLefty wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:52 pm ...
I have been watching Jumbo practices from the woods behind the field
:shock:
Cool, and totally not creepy, or anything like that...
*slowly walks away without turning my back.

(JK)
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

OMG that's hilarious. :lol:
TheHeftyLefty

Post by TheHeftyLefty »

LOL

Didn't mean to sound creepy, but felt creepier being the 45 year old man watchings :lol: :lol:

Just passionate about the game. Just moved up from Richmond VA, and excited to be a part of the NESCAC lax movement.

Also, heard from my neighbor that lefty attack man Ronan Jacoby from Wes is academically ineligible. Can anyone make truth of this?

Go Jumbos!
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

My First Post on this blog was scary also :lol:
Nothing But Net

Post by Nothing But Net »

Nothing But Net wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:50 pm My First Post on this blog was scary also :lol:
Welcome to the family Hefty, glad to have you onboard
TheHeftyLefty

Post by TheHeftyLefty »

Nothing But Net wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:51 pm
Nothing But Net wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:50 pm My First Post on this blog was scary also :lol:
Welcome to the family Hefty, glad to have you onboard
Great to be here NothingButNet. Absolutely love the style of game. Lots of goals and speed, but some smart athletes who know the game and how to play the right way. Also great to know they are such determined students. School will always come first. I am a very successful hedge fund manager and always look for students who are smart and athletes!!!!

Go Jumbos!
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

TheHeftyLefty wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:52 pm I have been watching Jumbo practices from the woods behind the field,
Well Hefty, you have been doing what I have wanted to do, but my son absolutely forbid. But, having spent a fair amount of time at that field, I'm not aware of any woods to hide in.
TheHeftyLefty

Post by TheHeftyLefty »

Unknown Participant wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:16 pm
TheHeftyLefty wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:52 pm I have been watching Jumbo practices from the woods behind the field,
Well Hefty, you have been doing what I have wanted to do, but my son absolutely forbid. But, having spent a fair amount of time at that field, I'm not aware of any woods to hide in.
"Unknown Participant" - there is a patch of trees in the back right corner (looking from the bleachers) that I watch from. I live just down the street, and often go for walks with my dog in the evening to get us both some exercise. We hang over there and watch while he gets some time to play fetch.

Didnt mean to sound creepy LOL. I just didnt want to get involved in the young mens business.

Go Jumbos!
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

Hefty, I also liked your posts except for the gossip piece about an individual player. Let’s keep that stuff off of here, please! Jumbos certainly have some bragging rights for winning the OT thriller in the tourney final last year, and they will no doubt have reloaded after losing some of those key pieces to graduation. Several other very good teams should make for another great NESCAC season!
TheHeftyLefty

Post by TheHeftyLefty »

Atticus wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:40 am Hefty, I also liked your posts except for the gossip piece about an individual player. Let’s keep that stuff off of here, please! Jumbos certainly have some bragging rights for winning the OT thriller in the tourney final last year, and they will no doubt have reloaded after losing some of those key pieces to graduation. Several other very good teams should make for another great NESCAC season!
You’re right. Stupid stupid. I am really sorry everyone.

I’ll be better and try to embarrass myself less LOL

Go Jumbos!
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

TheHeftyLefty wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:19 am
Atticus wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:40 am Hefty, I also liked your posts except for the gossip piece about an individual player. Let’s keep that stuff off of here, please! Jumbos certainly have some bragging rights for winning the OT thriller in the tourney final last year, and they will no doubt have reloaded after losing some of those key pieces to graduation. Several other very good teams should make for another great NESCAC season!

Go Jumbos!
No worries - don't be too hard on yourself.
I didn't take your question as gossip but rather a legit inquiry concerning the presence/ absence of a key player from a roster. When significant players drop off rosters unexpectedly it begs the question - better to know the correct answer rather than speculate ("gossip") ...
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Dr. Pretorious wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:34 am
TheHeftyLefty wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:19 am

Go Jumbos!
No worries - don't be too hard on yourself.
I didn't take your question as gossip but rather a legit inquiry concerning the presence/ absence of a key player from a roster. When significant players drop off rosters unexpectedly it begs the question - better to know the correct answer rather than speculate ("gossip") ...
I disagree... you're a Dr. and you should know better.

All kidding aside, Lefty admits what he's heard is hearsay and is looking for confirmation of truth. If that's not gossip, i don't know what is. The young man in question has a right to privacy. IF TRUE, I'm sure he's probably embarrassed enough and feels terrible that he's let his new teammates down. Let's not pile on. The school certainly would be prohibited by law from releasing that information so why should we think we are entitled to that information. All we have a right to know is if he's a rostered player or not.

Kudos to Hefty for quickly apologizing .... he obviously gets it. Let's all of us remember, we may be talking about big strong lax players, BUT THEY'RE STILL KIDS. Those of us who are adults (with children) should expect better. Just my opinion.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Ned -

I do not disagree with anything you say here. I agree that all the folks involved should have their privacy protected and if my previous post came off sounding like I thought we should seek to invade their privacy then I apologize for that.
Rather, I was only trying to suggest to Hefty that he not be too hard on himself, as I didn’t think he was being “malicious“ with his question or looking to hurt anyone. Sorry if it came off sounding otherwise.

All good 👍
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Dr. P
I don't think there was malice intended by anyone. It was clear you were telling Hefty it was ok and I agree with that especially after his mae culpa. All good here as well. I apologize if I got on my high horse - God knows I'm not virtuous enough to be the morality police. I just thought as we start the season for real it might be good to remind ourselves (myself included) who we are critiquing here. Thank you for voicing support for that sentiment.
TheHeftyLefty

Post by TheHeftyLefty »

You all are so right. These are just kids. Some even 18!!! Easy forget that sometime the way they compete and dedicate themselves. And I shouldn’t be spreading info such as that.

I apologize to this great community of fans and athletes, as well as a fellow Hefty Lefty Ronan!! He will never be as Hefty as I though :D :D :D :D

Go Jumbos!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”