UNC
1%
Other
2%

Total votes: 103

NovaHound

Re: Transfer Poll: Chase Scanlan - Open until a decision or July 12th

Post by NovaHound »

NovaHound wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:58 pm Hmmmmm :o :? :? :?

I believe Chase can play any position he wants - he's that good. But he does play more to the left side as Peter Brown pointed out. And I believe he would earn a starting position on any team he chooses. If it's down between UVA and Hopkins I hope he would choose Hopkins - they need the most help :lol: :lol: :D
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:27 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:23 pm If Scanlan comes to UVA, one of those two open slots just got taken similar in many respects to when a PG lands at a boarding school: they're not the ones who will sit. You can say Chase needs to "earn" the spot, but we all know that's not true, short of a really bad attitude. Chase gets 1 of the 2 openings, regardless, and that is the hard truth. It's skill, but it's also elementary calculus on the coach's part that no one would ever come to him again if he takes transfers then they sit.
that last part's crazy talk. if scanlon came and sat via performance (and a scenario i can't see short off-field or injury), that's his circumstance. you're pulling strawmen out of your hat on nothing but unprovable assumptions. young adults make their minds up on plenty of factors. whether chase scanlon played as a transfer would be way down the list, imo. if it was ever on it... but if a coach is factoring that unknowable in either direction he's way out of his element.

I wasn't clear...my bad. I meant if a transfer like this comes to UVA and doesn't play, I don't see other high level transfers taking a chance on Lars. Transfers at this level (Ierlan, Scanlan) expect to play...and they do. The job is theirs to lose, not to win. That's hard truth.

In a similar vein, I used to get somewhat worked up talking about about PG's coming to boarding schools and taking the presumed slots of rising underclassmen who had busted their humps for 2-3 years, doing time earning a starting role on a team as a senior...only to see a recruited PG come swooping in and take the slot. I'm older now so it doesn't bother me nearly as much. But I'm not so old as to admit that (play out the Chase scenario at UVA, all hypothetical of course) had I been a freshman at UVA this past year, patiently waiting to get a lot more PT next year and earning that time, only to see a transfer come in and grab (what I thought was) my slot, I'd probably look to leave, as beautiful as Charlottesville and their coeds are. Lax to me was always more important than weather, women, or, sadly, academics (have to be honest!); I wanted to be on the field, not on some bench.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Anyone else surprised how much Ty and Scanlan update the public on his search?
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:38 pm Anyone else surprised how much Ty and Scanlan update the public on his search?
Yes.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Between the visit to visit coverage of Scanlan and Gray, I expect the next transfer to be live streamed.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The more transparent the process, the better, IMO. For far too long lacrosse has been an extremely insulated community that doesn't have much interest in informing the casual fan about what's going on behind the scenes. It's all very hush hush. For instance, I don't love how there's an effort to protect the identities of the coaches who are interviewing for new jobs. IL didn't name any of the candidates who have spoken to Harvard about the opening (College Crosse did, however). If you're going to interview that's absolutely your prerogative but there shouldn't be some wide community effort to keep the public from that knowledge. So when a player decides he wants to let people into his decision-making process, I'm all for that. There is nothing forcing them to do so, it's their choice. Good on Xanders for relaying the information that he's acquiring. That's what journalists are supposed to do. In the case of Gray specifically, he's one of the biggest transfers in recent memory so the fact that anyone wouldn't want to know his thought process in picking a new school befuddles me. Keeping everything behind closed doors won't help grow the game—this kind of thing, though, if there's more of it, might. I think Scanlan realized he made a mistake giving that two-sentence blurb to LSN, and has since tried to clear up what he meant. He, too, is a very high profile transfer who will change the makeup of any team he joins.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:22 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:15 pm
blue angels:...cacan't tell if you are actually serious or not with some of your hot takes.....You do realize that Loyola has been quite the beneficiary of poached players and transfers over the years? Mcgovern-UNC, PrideMore and Milhouse-UVA, etc
After Duke screwed him over royally, Collin Finnerty found a welcome home at Loyola. Shelter and comfort are key precepts of Jesuit Spirituality.

CUE EMMA LAZARUS'S "NEW COLOSSUS".

Indeed.

BTW, Colin is the greatest! He was so unbelievably nice to a younger relative of mine, giving him some excellent lacrosse pointers, but also and more interestingly, telling my relative how life is not always a linear line and just stick to your values. Awesome young man. I'd give a whole team for one of him. I hope he's is doing great in life these days!
He is a terrific young man. Collin, spelled with 2 LLs, ;) is doing quite well,mirabile dictu.Equity sales trader for Deutsche Bank.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wahoomurf wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:24 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:22 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:15 pm
blue angels:...cacan't tell if you are actually serious or not with some of your hot takes.....You do realize that Loyola has been quite the beneficiary of poached players and transfers over the years? Mcgovern-UNC, PrideMore and Milhouse-UVA, etc
After Duke screwed him over royally, Collin Finnerty found a welcome home at Loyola. Shelter and comfort are key precepts of Jesuit Spirituality.

CUE EMMA LAZARUS'S "NEW COLOSSUS".

Indeed.

BTW, Colin is the greatest! He was so unbelievably nice to a younger relative of mine, giving him some excellent lacrosse pointers, but also and more interestingly, telling my relative how life is not always a linear line and just stick to your values. Awesome young man. I'd give a whole team for one of him. I hope he's is doing great in life these days!
He is a terrific young man. Collin, spelled with 2 LLs, ;) is doing quite well,mirabile dictu.Equity sales trader for Deutsche Bank.

This makes me so happy. One day I would love to buy that kid (I guess not a kid anymore) a beer or two, and I will if I run into him. Thanks, Wahoomurf!
FACEvalue

Post by FACEvalue »

Wow. I am on the edge of my seat with anticipation. I pray he calls a press conference at his high school with all the potential schools’ hats lined up neatly on a table. Then he will excitedly proclaim “I am taking my talents to ...” while reaching for a select hat. Then he will drop that hat and correct himself. “Actually, I am going HERE to the highest bidder.”
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Wait, is this like "The Decision"?
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

My sources tell me Hopkins, Doc have you heard anything? So much for blue collar
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

laxbro11 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:32 pm My sources tell me Hopkins, Doc have you heard anything? So much for blue collar

That would be worth like, what, 64 pages of posts for the Hopkins 2020 thread? The biggest dilemma for the Hop faithful would be, do they post here with us, or on their own thread?

Also, I won't believe that he has enrolled at Hop until I hear it (only 5% have picked Hopkins, and most of that is Doc Barrister and his family)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:42 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:32 pm My sources tell me Hopkins, Doc have you heard anything? So much for blue collar

That would be worth like, what, 64 pages of posts for the Hopkins 2020 thread? The biggest dilemma for the Hop faithful would be, do they post here with us, or on their own thread?

Also, I won't believe that he has enrolled at Hop until I hear it (only 5% have picked Hopkins, and most of that is Doc Barrister and his family)
There would certainly be an immediate flurry of discussion but in the long run I think the net result would actually be fewer posts than if he doesn't join the Jays. If we get Scanlan, that means we'll be better, and when we're better, there tends to be less discussion. The thread only goes fully crazy when the Jays are playing poorly, because that's what brings all of the various lurkers, trolls, curmudgeons, and smarmy critics out of the woodwork. They tend to go relatively quiet when Hopkins is winning, which Scanlan would theoretically help with.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:42 pm

Thanks for asking, but I’m usually the last one to find out about things even in my own household. Besides, I don’t have time for all that ... I need to do the dishes and take care of my wife’s laundry.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Aren’t you a Loyola fan?!? Hope your sources are right.

Virginia doesn’t really need Scanlan, but Hopkins sure does.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:18 pm
Aren’t you a Loyola fan?!? Hope your sources are right.

Virginia doesn’t really need Scanlan, but Hopkins sure does.

DocBarrister 8-)
If Hop gets Scanlan and they under achieve, according to the FanLax posters...boy-o-boy its gonna be fine reading the posts.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Hard to envision him transferring to a college a mile away which a 4 minute car ride or 20 minute walk given his reasons for leaving Loyola.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

stupefied wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:35 pm Hard to envision him transferring to a college a mile away which a 4 minute car ride or 20 minute walk given his reasons for leaving Loyola.
A mile away, but a world of difference.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

stupefied wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:35 pm Hard to envision him transferring to a college a mile away which a 4 minute car ride or 20 minute walk given his reasons for leaving Loyola.
I don't really buy this. They are close in proximity but the cultures/atmosphere on campus of the two schools are most definitely not the same. If he's looking for a different environment, which appears to be the case based on what he's said, then he doesn't need to look much further than a $5 Uber down Charles St.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:32 pm
A mile away, but a world of difference.

DocBarrister ;)

I endorse this post! Very different cultures as evidenced by the respective stadiums: amped-up Loyola students actually attend our games at the RAC, whereas Homewood is a mixed (quiet) bag of bitter 90-year old alums and the private police force hired by Bloomberg to protect the students no one ever sees.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”